PDA

View Full Version : Algarve Flying

GyroDrift
15th Feb 2010, 20:15
Hi all,

I'm renting a Cessna 172 next month out of Portimao on the Algarve in Portugal. I was just planning to fly down the coast and maybe a little inland. I've done this before so I kind of know what to expect. Since I last did this I've gained quite a few more hours and so feel a little more confident with flying abroad. What I wanted to know is what's involved with flying into a busier airport such as Faro, if possible just for a touch n go. Where can I find the info on local procedures?

Thanks for reading.

GyroDrift

London Flyer
15th Feb 2010, 20:26
I did my night qualification at Faro in 2007. It's quite a busy airport with passenger and cargo planes, ATC was of a good standard (even with four of us in the circuit) and the ground layout is relatively simple.

There are special VFR arrival and departure corridors that are published in the Jeppesen trip kit (or which may be available on the Eurocontrol website).

Also note that Faro mandates ground handling which is about EUR 100 (for which you get a minibus to/from your aircraft and a WX briefing from the met guys before departure). There are a couple of companies that offer this service, each for roughly the same price. Call a couple of days in advance since they will give you a slot time (not sure whether this applies during the day - it certainly did when we arrived at night).

FREQUENTFLYER1234
15th Feb 2010, 21:51
I wouldn't bother going to Faro it's a complete pain and very expensive.

I'd spread your wings a little further and head off into Spain, you have the options of Jerez and Seville (1.5 Hrs), Gibraltar (2 Hrs), Cordoba (2.5 Hrs) or Granada (3 Hrs) or even Tanger (2.5 Hrs) if you're feeling up to it but don't forget to take all the aircraft documents with you!