Stateside.

Armenio
7th Mar 2010, 16:19
There is not such South :ugh:AMARICA

LadyGrey
10th Mar 2010, 16:07
Hello:)

Two questions concerning the 139VIP

1) Are the "US" built 139 ( Philadelphia plant ) exactly the same as the "Italian" built?

2) Any 139 in Europe with the "Cocoon Generation II Noise Reduction Wall Panel System?" Or is it the same as the "silent/supersilent soundproof" as offered by Agusta?

Or is that system especially made by an american completion center?

Heard, that its much easier too get some gadgets certified in the US than in Europe? Any comments on that?

Thank you very much, your help is very much appreciated!
Peter

9Aplus
10th Mar 2010, 16:40
Was in 2008 on board of new AW139VIP
ANR system was active, do not remember
marketing name, but remember that 3rd antivibration
was built in. Have asked switch system on loudspeakers,
than to earphones and finally to switch off.
My estimation was 50% improvement....on active system,
and noise level less than in Q400 fix wing.

widgeon
10th Mar 2010, 17:45
Interesting point ref STC approval EASA vs FAA. I wonder what the ratio of EASA stc's that are approvals of FAA stc's is compared to STC's raised in the EASA area.

AW139 Engineer
11th Mar 2010, 20:30
If you have already changed the fuel probe(s), and are still getting a faulty indication ( like "LOW FUEL" ) and you know your fuel tanks are well above the low fuel level then I suggest you check the CISO card on the faulty side, sometimes the CISO cards can latch on a defect (such as LOW FUEL)and will not release it, thus every time the battery switch is turned on the CAS Message "LOW FUEL" is on. Swap out the card with the one in the opposite MAU if the snag transfers to the other then you know its the CISO card at fault. Note the CISO cards can also latch on to other defects also and display them as a CAS message, its something to do with the logic circut in the CISO Cards.

CopterDokter
15th Mar 2010, 05:05
Federal Aviation Administration
Memorandum
Date: MAR~7
W. Rempe, Manager; Aircraft Engineering Division, AIR-l 00

Prepared by: Sol Maroof, Senior Engineer, AIR-110
Subject: FAA & EASA Reciprocal Acceptance of Repair Data and certain STC's

In the new United States/European Community aviation safety agreement, FAA and the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) have negotiated provisions for more streamlined acceptance of repair data and acceptance of certain Supplemental Type Certificates (STC). While this agreement is being finalized and ratified, FAA and EASA have agreed to amend the scope of acceptance in existing Bilateral Aviation Safety Agreement Implementation Procedures for Airworthiness (BASA IPAs) with six European Union Member States: France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Sweden and the United Kingdom to enable this acceptance early.
The FAA and EASA have agreed via an exchange of letters to expedite:

the reciprocal acceptance of certain STCs regardless of their State of Design.
the reciprocal acceptance of data used to support the repair of products, parts, and appliances regardless oftheir State of Design (with the exception of critical components).
The attached information describes what the new acceptance entails and is effective April 1, 2007. This interim measure is a way for the FAA, EASA, and industry to phase in an increasing reliance on each other's data approvals.

If there are further questions, please contact the Certification Procedures Branch, AIR-l 10 at (202) 267-9588.

Attachments (2) --

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FYI, there is a nine page attachment to this document, But, as the sign says, I am new to posting, and I haven't figured out how to attach/post a .pdf file from the downloaded from the internet. However, for those interested in this subject, it is a worthwhile download, and is decently easy to interpret from the 'legalese' --

widgeon
15th Mar 2010, 14:14
I was aware of the reciprocal arrangement , my point was is it easier to obtain the original STC in USA or Easa territory.

LadyGrey
15th Mar 2010, 20:28
Hello

We want to charter a AW 139VIP in the Miami/Lauderdale area.

Week April 26 to April 30, day does not matter

4Pax, just a "roundflight" around the Miami/Lauderdale area, about 1-2hrs

please pm

Thank you
Peter

IntheTin
16th Mar 2010, 10:21
PM sent Peter. :ok:

LadyGrey
16th Mar 2010, 19:26
@inthetin....thank you:ok:, but wrong company....

There is a very well known company in Florida, that sells AW 139 with "cocoon generation II noise reduction wall panel system"

We just want to compare this company`s 139 to a "normal" 139

Thats why we are looking for a "normal" equipped 139VIP

Peter

IntheTin
17th Mar 2010, 07:23
The only other 139 I had seen in that area is the Homeland Security 139. I'm sure you don't want a trip in that one :}

ITT

LadyGrey
17th Mar 2010, 07:42
no, not really:bored:

Thanks ITT:ok:

Peter

wde
18th Mar 2010, 02:27
Hey folks:

Does anyone have an idea what the worldwide fleet hours are for the 139 now? I know that the S76 has surpassed 5,000,000 fleet hours.

I am guessing somewhere in the 150,000 - 200,000 range.

Wde

drop lead
18th Mar 2010, 07:58
As of 15th Feb 2010.
265 aircraft in service (excluding proto types)
Accumulated fleet hours 188,000
Fleet leader is a CHC aircraft, s/n 31041 with 4315 hours TTIS (now over 4500)

Aser
18th Mar 2010, 12:14
To the north sea or GOM?
http://www.iii.dgualdo.it/hai10/n208ys-gfc-001.jpg

Regards
Aser

tottigol
18th Mar 2010, 15:56
Both, plus South America.;)

spinwing
18th Mar 2010, 21:26
Mmmmm ....

Don't leave out ......... NIGERIA ..... also they are apparently going to operate some in Australia.

:D

chcoffshore
19th Mar 2010, 07:49
Both, plus South America

The North Sea?

Where?

tottigol
19th Mar 2010, 14:33
Perhaps the southern sector to replace the underperforming 155s on the Shell contract?

chcoffshore
19th Mar 2010, 14:51
Ok if Shell want to pay extra for them, but you also have smaller decks with 5.3T limits aswell.

Bilbo Bagover
20th Mar 2010, 08:36
Does anybody have a cofg spreadsheet for a VIP 139. Looking for the usual info on how far the average corporate machine will go with various pax loads.

Many thanks
Bilbo

copterdr76
22nd Mar 2010, 12:28
Anyone experienced any lag damper rod ends breaking torque ?

AW139 Engineer
22nd Mar 2010, 14:08
Yes I had 2 dampers that were found below minimum torque spec at the eye end and thus were eligible for the mandatory FPI. Both passed FPI no problem and were reinstalled. Make sure you note this check in your CHR.

AW139 Engineer
22nd Mar 2010, 14:22
I don't think you will need a spreadsheet, with a 12 place Factory VIP SEI interior you can still fill the tank and be within limits. Most other VVIP interiors limit the number of seats so with fewer seats (6-7) on board so I do not see a problem in terms of range. Be aware some of the VIP interiors available are really nice and luxurious but come with a price in terms of added weight and reduced maintaince accessability. If your talking about a short nose with a aux fuel tank and a very heavy interior that is a different story, you will likely be aft C oF G with the aux fuel tank filled.

froggy_pilot
23rd Mar 2010, 03:04
139 CofG

Stupid question you ask.

Short nose ? long nose ? aux fuel tank ? which VIP config ? empty wheight ? :confused:

You can do CofG calculations in about 5 minutes with flight manual and a basic calculator, you don't need a spreadsheet for that. :E

Forget you computer and go back to basics, I have seen many pilots trusting blindly a spreasheet full of errors :ugh:

Bilbo Bagover
23rd Mar 2010, 11:14
Thanks for your constructive opinion Froggy. Really helpful!

I don’t have a flight manual, therefore the easiest way to get 90% of the information I need is to use an existing spreadsheet and modify it for my requirements.

I could ask a hundred questions about seat stations, fuel tanks etc but actually what I was after was a very rough idea on loading and range of a typical Short nose, 8 seat config VIP 139. Simple really…

Bilbo

froggy_pilot
23rd Mar 2010, 13:36
Ok, here is some help

The main problem is aft CG, I am flying a short nose with 12 or 15 seats offshore config,

For 2 pilots without passengers and cargo we are limited to 1150 kg of fuel to stay within limits on takeoff.

If you need some more figures, I will send you stations for pilots, front row,rear row, fuel and luggage

Bilbo Bagover
23rd Mar 2010, 14:18
Thanks Froggy, that would be useful.
Bilbo

WhoKnows??
23rd Mar 2010, 15:50
Froggy, the short nose that I fly also has 15 seats offshore config and can take 1500kg fuel for max. aft C of G with two pilots and nil pax/cargo. Quite a significant difference!

CopterDokter
23rd Mar 2010, 20:23
Why, yes, my location here today found one damper, lost torque on jam nut--
removed from a/c, will inspect for damage to (both) threads, as per mfg--
installed new damper -- will need to investigate as to 'why' torque was lost--
found on daily insp, tech noted that barrel vs. rod end had vertical play --:ok:

Aser
3rd Apr 2010, 11:07
Gulf 139 report is out... :rolleyes:

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/6606/a7ghc.jpg

Best regards, fly safe and take care in your landings :E
Aser

9Aplus
3rd Apr 2010, 12:29
I am not happy with conclusions..... but we are (still) not operator of AW139 :}

blakmax
6th Apr 2010, 13:20
I'd really like to review the report to see how they deduced their findings before making further comments.

Anyone have a link to the report or prepared to send a copy by PM?

Regards

blakmax

copterdr76
7th Apr 2010, 12:32
Just an update. I had 4 of the 5 Dampers break at the minimum. Serial numbers 1601, 1602, 1605 and 1606. Serial number 1604 was OK. All 4 passed NDT, installed New Broached Ring and reinstalled. :ok:

S.M.S
9th Apr 2010, 05:49
DCL Mode in phase 5 any idea why the A/C devited to the right during ILS App :confused:

tottigol
9th Apr 2010, 13:58
Was it before DH or during the ALVL phase on the RWY?

Turkeyslapper
9th Apr 2010, 15:01
Ours do the same...before DH. Deviation in our case isn't a long way out to the right and certainly stays within tolerances for the approach.

S.M.S
9th Apr 2010, 16:13
Was it before DH or during the ALVL phase on the RWY?

NO before the DH, you can see from about 10nm the a/c will to the right !!!

Aser
9th Apr 2010, 16:35
S.M.S
DCL Mode
DCL Mode in phase 5 any idea why the A/C devited to the right during ILS App

Because Agusta doesn't care, has been reported long time ago.

Regards
Aser

tottigol
9th Apr 2010, 21:08
Aser, I have been flying the 139 for a long time and I have scarcely noticed the problem during the approach phase. It is present in the ALVL phase tough but not too exceed the RWY width.

S.M.S
9th Apr 2010, 21:37
Because Agusta doesn't care

Most of my approach was with Agusta pilot !!:bored:

noooby
10th Apr 2010, 05:33
Aser,

Perhaps you should also direct some of your frustration towards Honeywell. Agusta's can't do anything without Honeywell's input, and Honeywell are sadly lacking in that department when it comes to the 139.

Aser
10th Apr 2010, 07:38
tottigol: is more noticeable when you do a big change in speed (120-80) , try it.
and yes, before the alvl phase you can find yourself near the taxiway.

noooby: thanks for the clarification, but they have the responsibility, wasn't agusta looking for another avionics provider??

Anyway I have to try the last helicoptero we've received this month.

Regards
Aser

Blackhawk9
11th Apr 2010, 03:06
Looking at the specs and articles on the 149 it says its an enlarged upgraded 139 with CT-7 engines, as the 149 will be a military Helo is there any word of filtering all these upgrades back down to the 139 say as a B model, the CT7 fit should be good ,an engine that actualy has the intake at the front and exhaust at the back unlike the bloody horrible fit of the PT6 with the exhaust duct down the middle of both engines in the 139 now and no oil coolers and the Cof G should move fwd a bit with the CT7 fit, with all the 149 upgrades I hope the 139 can reach its true potential because from an engineers point of view its not in the class of the S-92 or even the AS332 for maintainability and I hope it can be.

captain_m
11th Apr 2010, 13:08
Gentlemen;

We are doing offshore flying, and during approach, I have noticed that all our AW139 shuffle once you slow down to about 80 kts, is there any explanation for this? Is there a way to get over this?

Regards

griffothefog
11th Apr 2010, 14:45
captain m,

Unless you know of a way to get from 140 knots to a hover without going through 80 knots.... Nope :ok:

Something to do with airflow through the tail at that airspeed, particular to type and not very well explained at Vergiate :{

Bit like the Bolkow shuffle outside translational lift... you live with it mate :p

bandit19
12th Apr 2010, 02:57
Next time you get the 'shuffle' try to sneak in a little left pedal. :ok:

captain_m
12th Apr 2010, 13:44
griffothefog; Thanks mate

bandit19: well, I thought it takes care of the pedals!

bandit19
16th Apr 2010, 03:14
Sometimes I get crazy and use my feet...they get bored sometimes. :8

Aser
29th Apr 2010, 20:31
A test with one of the new helicopters, without deviation...
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Srggtzkz6gg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Srggtzkz6gg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Regards
Aser

Aser
6th May 2010, 10:27
Vertical Magazine - The Pulse Of The Helicopter Industry - Helicopters, Vertical, Vertical 911 (http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/templates/?a=13714)

Full Ice Protection System (FIPS) for the AW139 medium twin helicopter has received FAA certification.

http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/articlefiles/13714-1.jpg

Regards
Aser

malabo
6th May 2010, 15:57
Full Ice Protection System (FIPS)

Somebody with the STC/kit detail want to post the downside?

Cost of installed kit
Fuel burn penalty
PBH cost increase (I've heard an extra $500/hr just to cover the cost of the blades)
Weight of kit
Performance penalty
Fuel burn increase (not like the 139 can afford much more)

Like a castor oil pill, FIPS might be good for you but it's going to have a horrible taste when you explain to your boss that he's got to fly by himself and without his briefcase.

noooby
6th May 2010, 17:23
Talk to London Air in Vancouver, BC. Their 139 with FIPS is sitting at the factory, nearly ready for delivery, if it hasn't been already!

wde
6th May 2010, 22:24
Anyone have intel on a story about the fire protection system at the AAC finishing facility having gone off over the weekend soaking 6 finished aircraft?

Anyone know what are the effects on an airframe / engines / wiring / avionics of being soaked in fire suppression foam?

Thanks

Ian Corrigible
6th May 2010, 22:57
Again?!? :uhoh: What is it with Northeast Philly Airport and foam suppression systems?

May 1st 2010: Foam leaks out of Northeast Airport hangar (http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7417851)

December 8th 2007: Foam mishap at Northeast Airport (http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=5822595)

November 26th 2005: Foam Incident in Northeast Philadelphia (http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=3669663)

I/C

AW139 Engineer
7th May 2010, 05:59
Malabo

Deice Kit Adds 300 LBS , however I have heard but not confirmed some of the deice equipment can be removed during non deice ops(summer)

Cost per Hour will be at least $500 more (I calculated $630 per hour) Remember there are lots of variables in cost calculations. Some of the equipment is not listed in the price listing yet so it is difficult to get a exact number.

As far as I know all Deice machines are 6800 KG ships

more when I find out next week

calaim
7th May 2010, 14:03
Can anyone explain me the function of the CAT A switch button at the collective.
How does it work and what for.

Thanks

calaim
7th May 2010, 15:54
thaks for the help.
And on phase 5 it works for what?

Turkeyslapper
7th May 2010, 18:18
In short, prior to take off by pressing the CAT A button on the collective you select the takeoff you wish....helipad, shortfield, open area etc which is displayed on the PFD.

On the PFD you then get a PI reference for the selected takeoff, a TDP reference height (with aural alert when your there) and a lovely horizontal magenta line on the ADI to follow as the takeoff progresses....ie at the tdp you follow it to 10 degrees nose down, 0, 5 up etc.

Well something like that.

Turkey

jeepys
7th May 2010, 18:31
The CAT A switch allows the pilot to select what CAT A departure they require. When selecting the required profile it displays target bugs/beam bars etc on the PFD which the pilot then fly's the aircraft attitude to meet the targets. For example on the AI when the CAT A switch is selected for a back up profile it will display a horizontal bar above the horizon at the desired attitude to complete the procedure properly. At TDP the bar will then change to show below the horizon, again the pilot then follows the command and selects nose down to the bar and at Vtoss the bar moves again to 5 degrees above the horizon.

One big computer game really.

One problem I feel is that it requires the pilot's head to be in the instruments for the whole takeoff procedure.

spinwing
8th May 2010, 02:20
Mmmmm ...

I think pressing the Cat A button will also select 102%Nr ....

......One problem I feel is that it requires the pilot's head to be in the instruments for the whole takeoff procedure......

And perhaps that problem might be overcome with the 2 crew "team approach" ... and anyway should be no more of problem than the handling pilot having his head outside and NOT seeing something go wrong 'inside' the a/c.

Bring it on ... :ok:

Aser
8th May 2010, 09:05
Hi,
CAT A switch is working in our phase v helicopters, and jeepys is right.

spinwing, you still need to flip the 102% switch.

Regards
Aser

NRDK
8th May 2010, 11:54
JEEPYS

You are correct about no head out. Fly the aircraft, the bit you will hit is outside the cockpit. All very pretty but detracts from good airmanship.

jeepys
8th May 2010, 21:47
Spinwing,

if using the CAT A procedure with phase 5 your eyes will be looking at purely capturing the beam bar on the PFD and not the MFD engine page.

The other problem with heads in while taking off is the issue if you have to reject. Your spacial awareness is lost while you are heads in at the point when your eyes need to be out. Now where was that helipad!

And yes 102% does need to be switched in addition to CAT A switch.

spinwing
9th May 2010, 02:44
Mmmmm ...

Ok thanks for that info ....

The machines I fly have not been upgraded to phase 5 yet but it sounds like our flight standards guys will have some new issues to sort out ..... eh ?

griffothefog
9th May 2010, 03:40
Spinwing,

You have flight standards there ??? :E

Things must have really changed... :p

spinwing
9th May 2010, 08:25
Mmm ...

Now now Griffo .... play nice! ... You must not mock the inflicted!

;)

captain_m
10th May 2010, 16:08
Mmmmm,

I'm gonna ask this;

Has anyone recalled any rolling landing with PARK BRK ON?

:ugh: How long did it take the tires to hold pressure?

griffothefog
10th May 2010, 16:40
Um...lifting,

Don't forget it is cleared for single pilot ops..... and we know that single pilot's prefer to keep the check list in their pants :p

As for 2 crew ops.... it should be a criminal offence to miss one of only 2 must do actions before landing :{

Having said that, mine burst in about 5 metres :ok:

bpaggi
10th May 2010, 22:46
jeepys

all the Cat A procedures require the pilot to look inside and only the PFD because everything you need is there. With the Cat A button the pilot work load is significantly reduced and the procedure has been prooved to be more consistent.
There is no way that you can carry out a Cat A procedure without monitoring your primary instruments (this is with any helicopter or fixed wing).

If you have to reject, this button does not add anything to the already existing procedure and you can afford to look outside paying attention only to the NR.

Your spacial awarness is never lost.

Non-PC Plod
11th May 2010, 07:50
The whole concept of Cat A lends itself much more to a multi-crew environment - redundancy in all critical systems. The most critical system is the pilot!
In a multi-crew environment, the handling pilot can concentrate on looking outside, whilst the non-handling pilot monitors the instruments and calls any deviations or malfunctions. As a single pilot, you just cant give as much attention to either task.
If you are operating single-pilot Cat A in this machine, you have to at least ask yourself whether this is the ideal situation.

Outwest
14th May 2010, 09:43
I'm sure this has been posted already, but I don't want to go back thru 55 pages of posts.

Can one of you current 139 drivers post some numbers?

MTOW, typical EW, fuel burn, max fuel capacity, cruise speed,etc. I have heard it said that the AW139 "is a nice machine, but has a payload of a 407"

Cheers

spinwing
14th May 2010, 10:50
Mmmmm ....

A/C empty 4480kg (if t'boom has -200 mod. increase by 65 kg approx), MTOWA 6800kg, fuel burn 410 kg/hr (depending on wt & alt flown), Max fuel cap 1670kg (with Aux tanks fitted) and we tend to cruise at 135Kts IAS which usually gives a TAS of around 150Kts ....

:ok:

Outwest
14th May 2010, 13:37
Thanks Spinwing,
So by my math looks like a limited payload on a 240 mile round trip with reserves......about 2000 lbs......not really very impressive after all.

spinwing
14th May 2010, 14:03
Mmmm ....

Oh I don't know .... VFR 240Nm round trip gives payload of 1090 Kg (2400 Lbs) ..... IFR well that kinda depends on arrival Wx Alternates etc ...

You certainly won't do better in a 412 .... and with Perf 1 ??? AND Air Conditioning ....

I'm regularly going out 142 Nm (285 Nm) round trip and can offer customer 900 Kg ....

Customers .... LOVE it and so do I !

Outwest
14th May 2010, 23:29
I was just trying to be sure of the facts and as you state other types it is being to compared to, such as a 76 C++, don't have class 1 performance, good point.

I believe that it is a nice machine to fly, just looking for the facts so I can defend it from naysayers.

Enjoy :ok:

bandit19
15th May 2010, 06:43
I've been running one hard in high desert and at high temps. At first I wasn't sure if she would take the abuse. I assure you that under the prissy plastic there is a beast. There is a combination of manueverability, payload, speed, single engine performance and comfort...I'm sold.

Turkeyslapper
15th May 2010, 07:40
Hey there Bandit

Good to hear these things are performing well for you. How do you find these things in the dust (ie brown out stuff) landing to unprepared sites? Any tips for getting these things on the deck in such conditions without getting the belly (and antennas) dirty?

Thanks

Turkey

bandit19
15th May 2010, 08:02
Carefully:} Not sure how you are equipped. If you have a searchlight mounted on the left side, make sure it is stowed horizontal on landing. (some of the searchlights that have the IR filters attached do not retract to the full horizontal so watch out for rocks) If able refrain from mounting FLIR's on the belly, put it up on the nose if able. Keep the struts fully serviced. The tires and low clearance are the weakness. Expect to go through main tires on a regular basis. They are gouged easily on sharp rocks. Dust landings are like any other ship. The 139 has a suprisingly high rotorwash though. so expect to get dirty. For the short nose 139 if you keep the wings level on the artificial horizen and pull t/o power it comes up in a good attitude for recovery. (experiment for yourself but that works good for me)

Aser
20th May 2010, 18:49
First FIPS-Equipped AW139 Delivered To London Air Services
Thursday, May 20, 2010 - AgustaWestland

Vertical Magazine - The Pulse Of The Helicopter Industry - Helicopters, Vertical, Vertical 911 (http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/templates/?a=13811)

http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/articlefiles/13811-1.jpg

Regards
Aser

tottigol
21st May 2010, 00:03
Already the best, it's still getting better.

justhavingalook
25th May 2010, 03:21
Gidday Guys (and girls) was wondering what was involved in a 139 5000hr, particularly from an avionics point of view. Just wanted a heads up as to the sort of tasks so I can tailor my application for some contract work.

Any help greatly appreciated.:ok:

noooby
25th May 2010, 11:39
justhavingalook, you'll need to be a bit more specific. 1200hours is the highest houred inspection, so do you mean 4800hours? Or 2 year, 4 year, or something else?
Globally, the highest houred 139's are in Den Helder, Netherlands, and they are closing in on the 4800 hour inspections pretty quick.
Avionics wise the 1200 has a few checks to do, as does the 600 and 300. Nothing too big. Every 4800 hours there are some circuit breakes that need to have an operational check performed. I didn't look into it too closely as none of the 139's where I work are anywhere near 4800 hours :)
Send me a PM if you need details of inspections, I'm always interested in news from the motherland (Aotearoa).

Helispanner
26th May 2010, 22:23
5000 hours is the overhaul time for the engines, main gearbox, IGB and TGB not much inspection work involved unless combining with the 4800 hr (1200 and 2400hr) inspections. Den Helder have just started the first aircraft.

KiwiRotorWrench
11th Jun 2010, 21:45
Anybody else having problems with the generators not coming online automatically after start phase as they are supposed to after reaching 50% N1? Ours have to be reset and they come online OK then. Honeywell/Agusta says they are aware of this, I am just wondering how prevalent this is and if anyone has tracked down where the problem might be if not specificaly the new -5 GCU's.

Thanks
KC

spinwing
11th Jun 2010, 22:03
Mmmm...

..... Anybody else having problems with the generators not coming online automatically after start .....

Yes ... this seems to be the 'norm' rather than the exception ....

:hmm:

arwom
12th Jun 2010, 03:09

Anybody else having problems with the generators not coming online automatically after start

Yes ... this seems to be the 'norm' rather than the exception ....

Concur, This occurs on most starts in our machines

jeepys
12th Jun 2010, 07:22
If you go straight to FLY from cold does that make any difference?

Let me know.

Thanks.

heliski22
13th Jun 2010, 21:59
Need to recycle the DC Gen switches almost every time!!

Co-incidentally, the #1 MCDU doesn't come on when I start #2 first, comes on fine when I do #1 first - any thoughts?

noooby
14th Jun 2010, 14:48
External power or batt?

If External Power, is the Bus Tie set to ON, or just set to AUTO when starting the #2?

If you have it set to ON, then I'd have to have a bit more of a think about it, if set to AUTO, then try starting #2 with it set to ON and get back to us.

If you're starting on battery then Bus Tie will have to be set in ON position, to get the #2 bus to light up fully, but with external power it could be left in AUTO, but then it could possibly load shed a bit during the start if the voltage starts to drop?

Leaving it set to ON with an external start should force it to keep everything on line and will mean that none of the systems will drop offline during start if your external power fails.

What sort of external power do you have? Ideally it should be capable of 1200Amps SUSTAINED power output. These things suck the juice on start. A good powerful power unit will give you much quicker much cooler starts. Good news for the gen brushes, good news for the engines, and good news for the batteries (by the time the start sequence is complete, our batteries are fully recharged).

heliski22
14th Jun 2010, 20:40
Nooby,

Battery starts only for us for now - so BUS TIE is ON for #2.

Since we moved to a different hangar we have an ongoing problem with the 3-phase supply so GPU will light the dials but won't start it.

There was a suggestion that the MCDU was defective so we replaced it under warranty but we're back to square one since. In practice, we just pull the CB to re-cycle and off it goes but nobody has an answer so far.

bandit19
15th Jun 2010, 02:30
I'm pleasantly suprised if they do come on :p

noooby
15th Jun 2010, 03:23
heliski22,

Could just be that you're getting enough of a voltage drop during start for it to kick offline. Do you have 40 or 44 amp hour main battery, and 13 or 27 amp hour aux battery? The bigger aus battery certainly gives you more time before everything goes black!

I probably would have swapped the MCDU's side to side to confirm the problem before replacing it, but perhaps your mech's did that first anyway.

I haven't seen this problem much, only once or twice in the last year, but then we always start with a diesel powered GPU when we can. Resetting the CB, as you have found, normally fixes the problem.

Try dimming both PFD's when you're going to do a battery start. You don't need them during the start, and they actually suck quite a few amps.

You could also dim the MFD of the pilot not doing the start, just to save a couple more amps.

Anything you can do to save an amp here or there will help the start.

You might want to consider pulling the CB for the standby horizon as well.

We found that battery starts seemed to make them crap out after a while, and they are very expensive if not on warranty and also ground the machine until a replacement comes in.

After frying 3 or 4 of them, we wised up and pulled the CB.

Once the engines are started, then push in the CB while you do the post start checks. It'll be aligned about the same time that you are ready to go.

The manufacturer (Goodrich??) was supposed to introduce an improved version, but I don't know if they have or not. Haven't seen many battery starts for a couple of years on 139's, so don't know if the problem is still out there or not.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Apart from low voltage, I can't think what it could be.

Eng AW139
15th Jun 2010, 03:39
We had this problem long time ago but is was pointed out as per the RFM normal start procedures on the second engine start to ensure that the frist generator is on line.

That statment was the fix from Agusta, some of our aircraft generators come online other don't it is to unrealable so best to check before you start the second engine if you are using a battery and don't check you will cook the second engine for sure.:rolleyes:

AW139 Engineer
15th Jun 2010, 19:04
Ok guys, yes the GCU's need to be reset 98% of the time if you have -5 GCU installed. No mention of any fix yet so consider it SOP.

Common sense dictates to always have your generator on and charging before starting the second engine.

Install the 27 auxillary and 44 amp main if you have not already.

Ground Power Start when ever possible.

Our Standard trips run about 40 -45 minutes each way and that is not enought time to fully recharge the nicad batteries(Marathon says your need a min of 80 minutes to charge the 44 amp main) so to prevent starting issues we deep cycle both the 27 amp and 44 amp batteries every 4-6 months. I advise not letting it go longer. We have a spare set of rotatable batteries for our 3 machines and we have not had any starting issues for over 3 years now.

Occasionally the pilots must do battery starts in remote locations and the increased frequency of deep cycling more often has really improved the starts and keeps the pilots happy.

Swinging Spanner
29th Jun 2010, 01:51
If you are now using aircraft battery as your "standard" source of power for starting you might want to suggest to your engineers to look for a PWC document (maybe an SB or SIL-can't remember) about damage to your engines over the medium term due to low voltage starts.
It was an investigation that PWC had carried out in conjunction with AW and the conclusion was issued in this PWC doc mentioned.
I would suggest that you look at addressing your ground power issue sooner rather than later. Best of luck. :ok:

Drayman
29th Jun 2010, 10:45
The information letters you are referring to are AW139-10-018 and AW139-09-007

cayuse365
1st Jul 2010, 12:23
Anyone having trouble with nose wheel shimmy while taxiing with the nose wheeel unlocked.

Eng AW139
1st Jul 2010, 19:10
Proper tire inflation or tailrotor vib

noooby
2nd Jul 2010, 16:00
And check that the gel hasn't leaked out of the shimmy damper. I've had that before!

cayuse365
2nd Jul 2010, 17:36
Thanks, mech. found valve stem damaged from the tow bar.

Hypernicus
18th Jul 2010, 14:30
I saw on this thread something regarding tail rotor issues, possibly with debonding.
can somebody point me in the right direction.
Many Thx.

spinwing
18th Jul 2010, 14:38
Mmmmm ....

try here ....

www.pprune.org/rotorheads/419960-sky-shuttle-139-ditches-hk-harbour.html

:E

Hypernicus
18th Jul 2010, 15:08
Thats why, but I thought somebody on this thread may have already had issues with tail rotors, prior to this incident.

noooby
18th Jul 2010, 16:05
Minor cracking in the root years ago that turned out to be nothing more than a butt joint in a sacrificial layer, not the actual structure of the blade itself. The butt joint area was modified so that operators didn't freak out about this line appearing on the blade root :)
That is the only issue I've seen with the tail rotor.

KiwiRotorWrench
18th Jul 2010, 18:57
G'day Nooby, have you found a procedure and fluid spec for the shimmy dampner in the IETP? Or anywhere else? I asked AW tech rep ages ago and was never able to get an answer. We had a nose wheel that would not completly centre and stopped landing gear from being retracted. I now grease the nose gear swivel every 25 hrs and seems to be OK. Pilots were able to kick the tail rotor one time and get the nose assy to pop into the cam centering to get the gear up.
Just curious as to if there is a procedure to check the dampner fluid level available
Cheers
KC

Low Flier
18th Jul 2010, 20:49
Is nosewheel shimmy common on the 139?

I saw a quite extraordinarily vigorous nosewheel shimmy on a swift-taxying 139 a year or two ago. The pilot(s) soon quelled it by very apparently tromping on the brakes, but it was a very vigorous shimmy for a second or two.

Is there a maximum groundspeed for taxying? Is there an annunciator or audible warning for an exceedance of such a limit?

spinwing
19th Jul 2010, 04:51
Mmmm...

.... Is there a maximum groundspeed for taxying?....

From the RFM ...<6400Kg G Wt Max Taxi speed 40 Kts BUT taxi above 20 Kts requires nose wheels lock to be 'locked'.

For A/C with 6400-6800kg gross wt max taxi speed (on paved sfc) 20 Kts. Taxi on grass prohibited.

... Is there an annunciator or audible warning for an exceedance of such a limit?...

Not that I know off.

HeliAviator
19th Jul 2010, 07:24
The nose wheel can shimmy on the AW39, it happened to me last week taxiing back at 12 knots ground speed, I clipped an unseen change of surface and the nose wheel did just that. A little alarming, but a swift application of brake soon sorted it out. There is no warning that you are about to exceed the laid down limits, only the GS readout.

drop lead
19th Jul 2010, 08:05
KC
There is no procedure in the IETP for servicing the shimmy damper, its a workshop procedure in CMM 32-21-03 (Liebherr).

From un-controlled CMM

SUBTASK 32-21-03-410-011-A01
(11) Filling instructions for the Shimmy Damper
(a) Install the NLG Strut Assy vertically in the Tool P/N 58986A0000–01 Assembly rig.
(b) Apply the silicon oil (AK500000) to the Tool P/N 59502A0000–01 filler. Make sure that there is no
locked air in the filler.
(c) Install the filler to the lower filling port of the steering cuff (2–80).
(d) Apply 0.4–0.5 MPa (52–72.5 psi) compressed air to the filler.
(e) Fill the complete silicon oil volume of the filler to the lower filling port.
(f) Install the hexagon head bolt (1–720) and the washer (1–730) to the bleeding port. Torque
the hexagon head bolt (1–720) to 2 +1 Nm (1.47 +0.74 lbf.ft).
(g) Safety the hexagon head bolt (1–720) with the lock wire.
(h) Apply ARDROX 3302 to the hexagon head bolt (1–720).
(i) Remove the Tool P/N 59502A0000–01 filler.
(j) Install the hexagon head bolt (1–400) and the washer (1–410) to the filling port. Torque
the hexagon head bolt (1–400) to 2 +1 Nm (1.47 +0.74 lbf.ft).
(k) Safety the hexagon head bolt (1–400) with the lock wire.
(l) Apply ARDROX 3302 to the hexagon head bolt (1–400).

Depending on your company procedures etc you would have to get Agusta and local regulator approval to carry out this procedure as a maintenance task.
Cheers
DL

noooby
20th Jul 2010, 04:18
KiwiRotorWrench,

G'day, as droplead says.
Check your PM's

Geoffersincornwall
20th Jul 2010, 05:27
.........mmmmmmm ......... interesting. Will see if I can programme that in the sim next time I do a course.

G.

S.M.S
23rd Jul 2010, 16:29
What is the best helmet for the aw139 with NVG bracket, please??

:sad::sad:

noooby
2nd Aug 2010, 16:25
Is anybody else out there flying at 6800kg?
If so, have you noticed any (extra) cracking, or is the airframe taking the extra weight?

Aser
2nd Aug 2010, 20:24
noooby, Where do I start looking for the "extra"...? :E

Best regards
Aser

spinwing
2nd Aug 2010, 21:46
Mmmm ....

If there are any 'extra' airframe problems with ops to 6800 Kg ... I'm certainly not getting told about it ..... :eek:

:uhoh:

noooby
3rd Aug 2010, 11:40
Now now Aser, play nice :ok:

I haven't heard of any issues either Spinwing, are you operating at 6800?

We've got the usual cracking above the fuel cell area, but you get that even if you always fly empty!
I'd also like to know if they have beefed up the structure on the AW149 as it is supposed to be rated to 8000kg! The latest picture I have of the grey one with orange stripes basically looks like a 139 with different engines (CT7) and a stretched fuselage (window in front of sliding door is now same size as the ones in the door). Agusta are keeping pretty quiet about it at the moment but did hint to me last year that they were aware of the need for more seating in the 139 and that a fuselage stretch was being looked at.

spinwing
3rd Aug 2010, 11:55
Mmmm ...

....... are you operating at 6800? ...

On some machines .... Yes.... :ok:

funderrc
28th Aug 2010, 07:53
Yesterday, during the post flight, the flight crew found a large delaminated area on the right hand side of the tailboom. The area that was delaminated was in the same location that has been previously identified by Agusta Westland as a critical area. This aircraft has the original tailboom installed and we have been operating it for 22 months and it has over 1500 hours total time. This aircraft is inspected in accordance with the latest bulletins pertaining to the tailboom. This was the third flight of the day and the flight crew noted no problems during the flight.

Several points to make: We do not ground taxi our helicopters. We do not operate this aircraft above 6400 KG. We do not fly the aircraft above 140 KIAS. The aircraft do sit outside and we are in Saudi Arabia on the coast. The humidity level is extreme this time of the year.

We are currently operating 3 (now 2) AW139's with the old tailboom. We are operating 11 AW139's with the latest reinforced tailboom modification and we have had no problems noted with these.

We have notified Agusta Westland that we will not operate the remaining two AW139's (with the old tailboom) until we have replaced the tailboom.

Remember, in the aviation world; fly at your own risk.

aegir
30th Aug 2010, 09:09
and what AgustaWestland replied you?:)

funderrc
30th Aug 2010, 12:02
Agusta recommended that we not fly the aircraft with the debonded tail boom. Duh!!
They did recommend that we continue to fly the other two aircraft which we will not do.

They are suppose to get a reinforced tail boom to us by the middle of September and the other two by November. We will wait and see.

I heard a rumor that ERA has experienced a tail boom problem with one of their reinforced tail boom. If there are any ERA guys on this forum, could you please confirm.

500e
30th Aug 2010, 12:20
funderrc
Good Advice there then:E
Must make you real happy to have 3 on the ground 1 definite 2 suspect, the bean counters must be having head fits.

aegir
31st Aug 2010, 10:25
I red this article last week
New AW139 tailboom fixture and spare tailboom increase Heli-One's AW139 service capabilities | Shephard Group (http://www.shephard.co.uk/news/rotorhub/new-aw139-tailboom-fixture-and-spare-tailboom-increase-heli-one-s-aw139-service-capabilities/7054/)

Heli-One has enhanced its service capabilities for AgustaWestland AW139 helicopters with the addition of the first OEM AW139 tailboom fixture in North America along with a spare tailboom at its state-of-the-art facility in Delta, British Columbia, Canada.
Heli-One is owned by CHC Helicopter, the world's highest time operator of the industry leading AW139. The company has been approved to provide overhaul service and support to AW139 operators in Europe, North America and Australasia since February 2009.
"We're excited to increase our service capabilities for this superb aircraft," said Neil Calvert, President, Heli-One. "With a worldwide fleet approaching 300 aircraft and growing, the AW139 plays a key role for operators worldwide, and we're committed to providing them with exceptional service and customer care. This new fixture and tailboom will minimize their downtime and let them continue operations virtually uninterrupted."
As an approved AW139 service centre, Heli-One is supported by AgustaWestland in all aspects of technical support for this product.
Used for a wide range of applications including VIP transport, emergency medical service, search-and-rescue, offshore OGP support, fire fighting, law enforcement, paramilitary and military roles, the AgustaWestland AW139 is a 15-seat medium sized twin-turbine helicopter used by government, military and civilian operators in 32 countries worldwide.

so it seems that AgustaWestland is expanding the service web in order to reach all the Customer in the world and support them on this problem.

In the internet I found a news about some AW139 that must check the tail boom every 5 fh to avoid problems (I think delamination or the same of Doha AW139)
this is the helicopters involved

Eng AW139
1st Sep 2010, 12:58
Abu Dhabi Aviation AW139 tail boom jig is clearing customs in the UAE.:hmm:

Aser
1st Sep 2010, 22:32
Finally...

Goodrich AW139 Rotorblade Ice Protection System receives EASA certification (http://www.helihub.com/2010/08/30/goodrich-aw139-rotorblade-ice-protection-system-receives-easa-certification/)

30 Aug, 10

Goodrich Corporation’s (NYSE: GR) rotorblade ice protection system for the AgustaWestland AW139 medium twin-engine helicopter has received certification from the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA). Certifications from the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Transport Canada Civil Aviation (TCAA) were also received. The rotorblade ice protection system is part of the AW139′s full ice protection system that provides its all-weather capability, making it the first helicopter in its category certified to fly into known icing conditions.

The Goodrich rotorblade ice protection system (RIPS) was designed and integrated as a complete ice protection solution for the AW139 platform resulting in a robust, highly reliable, and fully automated ice protection system. RIPS uses Goodrich’s unique DuraTherm™ electrothermal mats which can tolerate considerable damage, including punctures, and continue to provide ice protection. With expertise in ice detection, power distribution and DuraTherm de-icing technologies, Goodrich is the only systems supplier able to offer an all-inclusive ice detection and ice protection system.

“The recent certifications of our rotorblade ice protection system on the AW139 confirms Goodrich’s ability to partner with customers to provide both the avionics and advanced heating technology in a single-source ice protection solution for helicopters,” said Steve Guetter, rotorcraft business development director for Goodrich Sensors and Integrated Systems.

“The development of a completely integrated civil certified ice protection system was a ‘first time’ both for AgustaWestland and Goodrich,” added Enrico Bellussi, ice protection system design team manager for AgustaWestland, “and the key factor for the success of this venture was the pro-active, collaborative and problem-solving attitude adopted by the whole team. Continuous support and side-by-side work enabled the development of a complex system that impacted the whole helicopter both in installation and in overall performance.”

Goodrich ice detection and ice protection products are used extensively on many helicopter platforms including the Bell-Boeing V-22, Boeing Apache AH-64, NHIndustries NH90, new Korean Aerospace Industries Surion utility helicopter, and the Sikorsky Black Hawk, CH-/MH-53, S-76 and S-92.

Goodrich Corporation, a Fortune 500 company, is a global supplier of systems and services to aerospace, defense and homeland security markets. With one of the most strategically diversified portfolios of products in the industry, Goodrich serves a global customer base with significant worldwide manufacturing and service facilities. For more information, visit Goodrich (http://www.goodrich.com).

Regards
Aser

Aser
2nd Sep 2010, 22:49
funderrc:
You can always try to reinforce it by yourself (following Agusta instructions) :E
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h263/aser_martinez/IMAG2172.jpg

Best regards
Aser

Andy Mayes
4th Sep 2010, 15:16
Anyone know what vortex wake category the A139 is (UK category if anyone knows)?

Non-PC Plod
5th Sep 2010, 10:41
Under 7000kg, therefore should be "light".

blakmax
8th Sep 2010, 12:06
Sorry Aser, but I can't let your comments stand any longer. In deference to a number of comments about the impact of my previous comments on commercial considerations, I have resisted responding so far, but it is difficult to discern whether you are serious about "following Agusta instructions" because of the http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif symbol.

You can always try to reinforce it by yourself (following Agusta instructions) http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

If this involves adhesive bonding and their usual "scuff sand and solvent contaminate" (oops, it is usually called "solvent clean") surface preparation, then I STRONGLY advise to the contrary. I would not use this procedure to fix my wheel barrow. It certainly has no credibility for repair of any aircraft structure because it carries a 100% certainty of eventual bond failure.

Regards

blakmax

LadyGrey
17th Sep 2010, 06:17
Hello!

Would appreciate some infos on HUMS on the 139...pro´s and con´s...
Weight penalty?

Thank you!
Peter

noooby
17th Sep 2010, 17:59
Not much of a weight penalty on HUMS as every 139 built has all the wiring and all the gearbox accelerometers fitted as standard. Getting the complete kit adds on the Computer under the baggage bay floor, the tracker camera in front of the co-pilot, the RTB accelerometers and the cockpit display unit.
Probably the best track and balance computer I have seen in the last 20 years. The track and balance functionality has been flawless on the 139's I've worked on.
I've seen a few problems with accelerometer wiring giving erroneous readings on a gearbox, but overall the vibration monitoring works very well. Easiest thing to do is have a support contract with Smiths/GE and/or Agusta so that they can monitor your machines for you and give you some advice on what to look for on the machine.
Overall I personally am very very happy with the HUMS as fitted to the 139.
The one thing on my wish list for it is some kind of function so that we can operate the HUMS in the hanger when we are tuning the underfloor vibration absorbers. At the moment we have to use an 8500 for that.

LadyGrey
17th Sep 2010, 18:06
:ok:Thank´s a lot for this info, very much appreciated!
Peter

Aser
17th Sep 2010, 18:56
Sorry Aser, but I can't let your comments stand any longer. In deference to a number of comments about the impact of my previous comments on commercial considerations, I have resisted responding so far, but it is difficult to discern whether you are serious about "following Agusta instructions" because of the symbol.

If this involves adhesive bonding and their usual "scuff sand and solvent contaminate" (oops, it is usually called "solvent clean") surface preparation, then I STRONGLY advise to the contrary. I would not use this procedure to fix my wheel barrow. It certainly has no credibility for repair of any aircraft structure because it carries a 100% certainty of eventual bond failure.

Regards

blakmax

whether I was serious or not was exactly my intention.
I'm sorry but I don't have a f****** idea about the repair details.
Please keep posting.

best regards
Aser

froggy_pilot
18th Sep 2010, 00:02
To whom feels concern about the following

I know that the place is a rumour network, I am just another stupid driver but after more than 20 years in aviation industry I am tired about guys who pretend to know better than the manufacturer but still can't work for them ...:confused:
I am not saying that manufacturers are always right, but :*

If you are so good in composite materials why are you loosing your time in the aviation industry, when you can make much more money in other sectors (ie: formula 1) :ugh:

We need informations, we don't need any teachers in here

maybe too much drinks this evening :oh:

spinwing
18th Sep 2010, 09:18
Mmmm ...

..... We need informations, we don't need any teachers in here ...

And my dear 'froggy' that is exactly 'blakmax' brings us .... information ...
and I have to differ with you with regard 'teachers' .... it is obvious to me that the more information given to us to increase our knowledge the better and more professional we can become ... and for that we DO NEED the teachers!

:D

500e
18th Sep 2010, 23:01
Froggy

Perhaps if you learnt to use the search and read posts you would find BM knows more than most of us put together about composites.
Numerous papers published by him in journals, would appear to me & others here he speaks from a position of knowledge.
Gave free advice with bonding problems we were having , all this when he was very busy elsewhere.

We need informations, we don't need any teachers in here
maybe too much drinks this evening :oh:
Possibly a true statement

Wild Chicken
19th Sep 2010, 07:54
Just to add a few points on the HUMS installation on the AW139. We've found it to be a very very useful tool in troubleshooting vibes on the machine. We download after each days operation (although we have had some customers ask for download after each flight) and the information we gain from the HUMS groundstation is excellent in its depth and in it's easy to use format. It has pinpointed TR driveshaft problems not only at the MGB end but also at the IGB which turned out to be hardened grease and a worn adapter. It has also alerted me to an unreported inflight engine shutdown after a training flight error, which led to the engine being removed as a precautionary measure. Agusta and GE offer a one week course in Milan (maybe elsewhere now) which I found very informative and recommend to other operators. Most of the problems we have had with the sensors have resulted from inadvertent damage to the cables incurred during maintenance, but again the data available and the codes available in the manual can usually pinpoint the problem. As far as the logic used by the system, it uses the tried and tested RADS logarithms to calculate the adjustments and predictions. In over 3000 hours we have found it to be very accurate.

As far as tuning the 'nodal' tuning type weights under the floor, this can also be carried out using a tensiometer, which reads in hertz, similar to the one used to test the airconditioning belts, this worked for me. If the weights aren't doing the trick as far as 5 per revs are concerned, it might be time to fit the MVA which generally gets the 5 per revs down under .3 and gives a very smooth ride once the 1 per revs are tuned. We did find one machine had some wild M/R adjustemnts including inboard tab settings from the factory giving it a persistent track split, but by returning the M/R to nominal and carrying out a few test flights, we got it back in nicely with one weight move, one PCL adjustment and one small tab move. The MVA will do the rest and does not require adjustment. Again the ground station gives you the opportunity to play around with editing your moves and looking at the possible results meaning you canminimize the moves you make to get the best result.

Happy to pass on more info if anyone is interested. Cheers.:}

blakmax
19th Sep 2010, 11:16
Thanks Spinwing and 500e for the support. It is people like you who make it worthwhile for me to post on this forum.

Yes Froggy, I do occasionally teach. Passing on 38 years experience in composites and adhesive bonding is the best way of improving safety standards in the aviation composites and adhesive bonding industry, particularly when I can personally claim to have reduced the repeat repair rate for composites and adhesive bonded repairs at one major repair facility from 43% to less than 0.17%. That is why I bother to post in this forum, particularly when I get such offensive responses as yours.
However, I do not just teach. I have written a military engineering standard and two handbooks on repair design and application technology. I have also written a reference document for the FAA. If you bother to look up DOT/FAA/AR – TN06/57, Apr 2007 BEST PRACTICE IN ADHESIVE BONDED STRUCTURES AND REPAIRS, (you will find it in the FAA Tech Center Library) you may find out who I am. You might even learn something about the paucity of OEM repair procedures that you so stridently defend.

The reason why I do not work for a manufacturer is that I am effectively retired and selectively consult on my specialisation. I have been known also to provide free advise to those who show an interest in learning.

In my spare time I nag the FAA about deficiencies in regulations that are intended to make your helicopter safe, but in reality fail to address a primary safety issue. This nagging has resulted in changes to the FAA Advisory Circular AC20-107. These changes do not go far enough and really are a poor substitute for a rule change, but at least it is the first step in making pilots like you safe.

So Froggy, I suggest that you try a bit of advice: If you are going to shoot yourself in the foot, take it out of your mouth first.

If you can be bothered, mine will be a Cabernet Merlot.

Regards

Blakmax

vfr440
19th Sep 2010, 13:51
Hi Blakmax,
11/10 for the response :ok: (I'm not so sure I would have been so polite :uhoh:). Certainly for myself, as an LAE, I have learned a huge amount from your posts and I suspect that goes for many others who read them. It will have made my inspections more careful and searching, thus safety HAS to have improved, even if there is an inconvenience factor when one finds something a little suspicious.

I haven't read your papers (out of time on a nearly permanent basis - like you I am a consultant) but I'll bet they are gold-plated.

And finally Froggy, I teach, and am taught regularly. Over 60 and there isn't a day goes by that I don't learn something. It's good for the soul, improves professionalism, and keeps Alzheimer's at bay. Teachers are GOOD NEWS (I is one ;))

Rant over, I'm a Cabernet man myself but if Froggy's bought a case of Merlot.....................:ok:

VFR

makrider
19th Sep 2010, 17:00
100% agree with froggy....

I totally disagree sentences without any evidences... :=:=:=:=:=

spinwing
19th Sep 2010, 22:07
Mmmm ...

..... 100% agree with froggy .... I totally disagree sentences without any evidences...

So makrider .... what is your evidence to prove the contrary view?

Have you read through this thread from start to present posts?

Certainly blakmax's evidence and experience with composite materials goes back many years and those with experience of the problems with this particular aircraft recognise that 'something is not right' with the way (parts of) the aircraft has been built to date ... even the manufacturer has realised they have to change the way some things are being done.

Perhaps a more open point of view might be enlightening ....

Good luck .... ;)

froggy_pilot
19th Sep 2010, 23:12
I am not here to start a war with Blablakmax, I am just a stupid driver,he knows much more than me on composite for sure.

I had a look at your "DOT/FAA/AR – TN06/57, Apr 2007 BEST PRACTICE IN ADHESIVE BONDED STRUCTURES AND REPAIRS" here is the link http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/worldpac/techrpt/artn0657.pdf
I like the notice at the beginning :The United States Government assumes no liability for the contents or use thereof :E
And then on page 3 Abstract This document does not represent a comprehensive survey and analysis of the failures or best corrective actions for bonded structures, :eek: but data that resulted from real-world applications and experience with disbands and other adhesive failures in structural applications.:ugh:

I also like your own statement in http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/414103-composite-structures.html#post5681221 "I have already sent my response to the FAA and receives a polite thanks but no thanks" :}

Regards
Froggy

Let's forget this and move forward, anybody got an update or new report about the crash in Almeria and the HK harbour ditch

pigi
20th Sep 2010, 09:08
Almeria seems to be a CFIT. A pilot working there reported that, but no official evidence.

S.M.S
20th Sep 2010, 09:29
Let's forget this and move forward :D:D:ok::ok:

LadyGrey
8th Oct 2010, 17:59
Hello!

Did somebody undertake the adventure of a Ferry Flight with a brand new AW139 ( 6800kg´s, aux-tanks ) from Philadelphia to Europe?

Any info´s very much appreciated!

Thank you
Peter

Runway101
9th Oct 2010, 04:33
Let me know if you need somebody in the back to keep you entertained on this ferry flight :ok:

9Aplus
9th Oct 2010, 07:06
:} Supose he need some fuel there... not PAX,
moreover there is "limited" space to enter in cockpit from behind :)

LadyGrey
9th Oct 2010, 08:01
@ RW101 Thank you, the ferry flight will be enough entertainment:)

@9Aplus Yes!

Sorry, but maybe there is somebody out, who did this ferry already:confused:

Thank you
Peter

9Aplus
9th Oct 2010, 09:53
TIP
There is another way, blades off, "pack" and on Ro-Ro over Atlantic,
last time info 2 year ago, price was level of 30-40k USD (with full insurance) and
2-3 weeks waiting time on other side.:cool:

CopterDokter
9th Oct 2010, 11:36
Well-- since that's the way the last two have been delivered to this ME location,
the blades off, plastic-wrap, ro-ro ship from PHL to Genoa, truck transport to Malpensa, blades back on, inspection, and subsequent ferry flt to ME location seems to have worked just fine. Takes planning & coordination on both sides of Atlantic. :ok:

LadyGrey
9th Oct 2010, 11:37
@ 9Aplus Thank you!

There might be another way....TEB-YUL-YMT/YRC-YKL-YVP-YFB-GOH-KUS-KEF-FAE-Scotland:)

Nice day:)

Runway101
10th Oct 2010, 06:12
Using Ro-Ro would take the fun out of this delivery, wouldnt it? Robinsons have done (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/335529-across-atlantic-r44.html) it so that should be a no-brainer for a 139 one might think. Could be the wrong time of the year though.

LadyGrey
10th Oct 2010, 08:16
@ RW 101

Using Ro-Ro would take the fun out of this delivery, wouldnt it?Exactly:ok:

Yes, the R44 thread is very interesting to read, as well as their web-sites...

We´re ferrying in July, so should not be a problem with weather...

Thank you!
Peter

Scattercat
16th Oct 2010, 01:31
- i -
ATSB TRANSPORT SAFETY REPORT
Aviation Occurrence Investigation
AO-2009-004
Final
Operational event
89 km south-east of Townsville Aerodrome,

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/1582706/ao2009004.pdf

This may be of interest to other Aw139 operators.

Abstract
On 2 February 2009, an Agusta Westland AW139 helicopter, registered VH-ESH, departed under the instrument flight rules (IFR) from Mackay Aerodrome, Queensland. The helicopter had been repositioned to Mackay the previous day from its Townsville Aerodrome base due to the threat posed by an approaching tropical cyclone. The purpose of the flight was to return the helicopter to Townsville following the passage of the cyclone.
Shortly after departure from Mackay, the crew were presented with an increasing number of alert messages indicating the failure of various helicopter systems. While the crew were focussed on assessing these messages, the autopilot altitude hold function disengaged, leading to a descent that was not detected by either the flight crew or air traffic services (ATS).
The helicopter descended undetected for over 6 minutes while flying towards an area of rising terrain, losing about 3,300 ft of altitude, before ATS observed the descent and alerted the crew.
The investigation determined that the helicopter sustained two independent technical problems; one associated with water and particulate ingress and a second related to the probable susceptibility of the air data system to in-flight turbulence. These failures resulted in multiple erroneous alert messages and uncommanded disengagement of the altitude hold function. The investigation also identified a number of safety factors relating to workload and task management by the crew and monitoring of the aircraft by ATS.
Following the occurrence, the helicopter manufacturer and operator, and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) implemented a number of safety actions relating to the identified technical and operational safety issues. In addition, the manufacturer and operator of the helicopter, and CASA undertook proactive safety action in a number of cases for which no safety issues were identified.
Finally, concurrent with the release of this report, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau has issued a Safety Advisory Notice suggesting that the Department of Defence should consider enabling the capability of the Australian Defence Air Traffic System in the Townsville area to alert air traffic controllers in the case of an aircraft altitude deviation.

Epiphany
16th Oct 2010, 04:03
That is a CRM issue more than a technical one. Who was supposed to be flying the helicopter?

It descended at over 500 fpm for 6 minutes and would have presumably continued to do so until alerted by ATC. They may have had CAS messages but that is no excuse for not scanning the instruments at least every minute or so.

If you are SPIFR then that is all the more reason to be vigilant.Automation and 4 axis autopilots are a great aid to flying but have to be monitored.

tottigol
16th Oct 2010, 05:13
Strongly agree with Epiphany, CRM was greatly improvised there.:eek:
Not the standards tat are enforced during initial training.

malabo
16th Oct 2010, 21:23
CRM? Reminds me of the joke about why atheists don't like bj's - nobody to talk to...

My read of the report is that the aircraft was flown single pilot. Everyone else on board is a medic/crewman. One of them sits in the front sometimes and helps with the comm radios, maybe. For that he gets the title of Flight Crewman. He doesn't have a pilot license, doesn't have a type endorsement, can't fly, had a few hours briefing on how the doors open and where the radios are. Australians bs themselves that it is a "flight crew". No more a crew than the single-pilot EMS ops in the US. Difference is that you are flying a very complex aircraft. By yourself, at night, in IFR, with unrelated systems malfunctioning, in a strange new aircraft. Judging from the long gaps between training and then flying the 139, and the almost negligible number of the pilot's hours on type, you have to wonder in what regulatory environment would allow such a situation to happen. The whole things looks bush-league, and pretty much an indictment of the sorry state of affairs in the EMS world in Australia.

Good CRM would start with a second pilot in the cockpit - someone to talk to.

froggy_pilot
16th Oct 2010, 23:33
purely CRM ... I fully agree with previous posts, now if the aircraft is single pilot just look on the top of your MFD

It just means ALT was not engaged, if it would have been engaged then they would have heard "ALTITUDE, ALTITUDE"

When ever you hear the chime, have a look if the mode is engaged (reverse video or not), Agusta should change the chime to 2 different chimes when engaged (or acquired) or disengaged, let's hope that will be part of the next software upgrade :*

The 139 is not that complex :confused:, but if one organisation can afford a 139 but can't afford for 2 pilots to fly it then they have to think twice on what they want :yuk:

tottigol
17th Oct 2010, 02:23
Is this the same organization that initially purchased the 139s for EMS work without an air conditioning unit?
Regardless of that, CRM applies to both multi-crew and single pilot operations. There has to be a prioritization of tasks, even more so when flying single pilot in a fairly new type and in a very complex and potentially hostile environment.
It was only recently that the "C" in CRM changed from Cockpit to Crew.

On second thought, the Aussie Med types achieved what is regarded as a wet dream for the US EMS SLBs, being called "Flight Crews".:hmm:
Boy, is THAT wrong or what?!:(

Epiphany
17th Oct 2010, 03:27
The whole things looks bush-league, and pretty much an indictment of the sorry state of affairs in the EMS world in Australia.

Malabo I can't let that one pass. Do you have experience of EMS ops in Australia? Judging by your remarks I'd say obviously not. You are way wide of the mark. I have flown EMS in Australia and Europe (not in North America thankfully) and the Australian model is the best I have seen by far.

The Crewmen that you talk about with such distain are very well trained and although not pilots they have the pilot theoretical knowledge and additionally many thousands of hours of EMS flight time - many at night and IFR.

Yes - a 2 pilot crew would be preferable for safety reasons and this particular operator is currently training these very Crewmen as pilots - an expensive and time consuming process that they should be congratulated for.

If I were flying EMS in Australia again I would much rather fly with one of these Crewmen on a night EMS task than any 500 hours co-pilot with no EMS experience. Besides I fly the 139 now and it is a far easier machine to manage than the SPIFR Bell 412's that were doing the same job in Australia before the 139 arrived.

CRM lessons can be learned from this. Aviate - Navigate - Communicate.

The Nr Fairy
17th Oct 2010, 06:32
Interesting post about the 139 MAU failures - check also this month's AAIB Bulletin, in particular:

Air Accidents Investigation: AgustaWestland AW139, G-CHCV (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/october_2010/agustawestland_aw139__g_chcv.cfm)

Outwest
17th Oct 2010, 08:21
I have flown EMS in Australia and Europe (not in North America thankfully)

Please don't make such a general statement. ALL of the Canadian EMS operations are highly trained, well equipped, twin engine, 2 pilot IFR operations. Some are NVG equipped as well.

Epiphany
17th Oct 2010, 08:46
Congratulations Outwest. I am very glad to hear it.

squib66
17th Oct 2010, 17:40
Thanks for the link to the G-CHCV report. Very scary.

Any idea why AAIB insist TB166 is not mandatory? I've just had a look at it clearly is.
http://www.agustawestland.com/sites/default/files/rp_tech_bullettins/139-166.pdf

500e
17th Oct 2010, 18:30
Interesting to note they can harden the boards against moisture BUT it would incur higher cost in repair !!
I agree no moisture is the way to go (dry air + a tropical coating is good) but unless hermetically sealed with a inert gas not totally practical, so mod + extra sealing of board & connectors would be the way to go.
As to the extra cost of repair, small change in the scheme of things.
I realy do not understand how Either manufacturer could not envisage the problems encountered.
& failure, costs on postcard please,

zalt
17th Oct 2010, 21:31
Honeywell don't seem to have grasped the offshore environment and have been badly caught out.

There were rumours they would be kicked off the AW139 in favour of Rockwell Collins.

spinwing
18th Oct 2010, 04:45
Mmmmm ....

When you calculate the ridiculous replacement cost of these boards ... I think having them sealed/tropicalised (whatever) should be mandatory.

Honeywell need to realise the seriousness of this problem.

Its not just the computer boards either ... Agusta needs to look to the reliability of a whole bunch of things (A/P linear actuators for instance) that should not have to be replaced at low hour TIS intervals.

Brilliant aircraft BUT ..... :{

The Nr Fairy
18th Oct 2010, 07:29
squib66:

The incident was on 23rd December 2008, the bulletin is dated April 6th 2009. It may be that the bulletin wasn't mandatory before this incident, but was changed to be so soon after and the final report hasn't been amended to reflect this.

bombiter
18th Oct 2010, 07:49
No problems here with the linear actuators. Two high-time A/C well over 5000 hrs, total with 4 A/C about 15000 hrs. and I believe 5 actuator replacements since we started with the AB/AW139 in Jan. 2006.
Important is preventing the wiring from sharp bends, databusses don't like that.
Talking about crappy linear actuators: what about the Hamilton Standard actuators in the S-76 models? TBO is 2500 hrs. Every time an actuator makes it to its TBO we get cake from the management ....... we don't eat much cake over here :{

Shell Management
18th Oct 2010, 18:35
It may be that the bulletin wasn't mandatory before this incident, but was changed to be so soon after and the final report hasn't been amended to reflect this.

It may have been but it wasn't - the bulletin has not been revised since issued

heliski22
18th Oct 2010, 20:22
Yep, the AW website lists 166 as a Mandatory BT, it's got a nice red margin around the edge of it and there have been no revisions to it since the first issue on April 6th, 2009.

Turco
18th Oct 2010, 20:42
Gentlemen, You may wish to check your list of EASA AD's.
AD's override BT's and you will find one for this exact subject.

Cheers!

500e
18th Oct 2010, 21:10
So the manufacturer cant be bothered to clarify its bulletin in light of the EASA AD
Real customer service there then

Shell Management
21st Oct 2010, 20:12
500e They don't need to. I suggest you leave airworthiness to engineers.

Good news is the safety focused Maryland State Police are bringing the two crew AW139 into the US HEMS industry with some proper cost saving procurement.:ok:

The Maryland Board of Public Works approved a $72 million contract Wednesday to purchase six new helicopters — larger and faster than those the state police now fly — to begin the replacement of the state's emergency medical fleet.

The three-member board unanimously ratified the contract with Agusta Aerospace Corp. of Philadelphia, the only company among four manufacturers that submitted a final bid. The contract includes an option for the state to acquire up to six more AW139 helicopters at the same price of $11.7 million each, plus an inflation adjustment.

Capt. Mark Gibbons, head of the State Police Aviation Command, said Maryland officials made repeated efforts to attract other bids. But after receiving only one, he said, officials negotiated a price that was $1.6 million less per helicopter than New Jersey State Police paid a year ago.

Maryland Board of Public Works approves $72 million helicopter contract - baltimoresun.com (http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-md-helicopter-contract-20101020,0,5309667.story)

500e
21st Oct 2010, 21:35
SM
Have been an Engineer for 50 years both mechanical & electronic & feel your remark is what I have come to expect from middle management, the "we know best don't ask questions", & are then surprised when it goes wrong.
I read anything that could either make me safer or the machine I fly safer, I EXPECT to be comprehensively informed by both the AAIB & manufacturer as to the state of play I would expect any papers\ web sites to be up to date & unambiguous with this information.

Shell Management
21st Oct 2010, 22:01
The answer is continuation training.

Superstar7
25th Oct 2010, 18:23
Hi can anyone help with a copy of this or any material that will be useful to know before going to the Agusta Type Training in Philly? I'm heading out there in early 2011 I've already got a RFM but seeme to be a generic one without most specifics for a particular serial. I'd appreciate any info on the Systems, FMS etc....please.
Thanks

Thirsty for Knowledge!

calaim
26th Oct 2010, 11:11
Don't worry they will give you everything upon arrival.
Just go with the flow and do the studding after the course start.
You are there for that otherwise they just give you the manual and then you do the studding

Torquetalk
26th Oct 2010, 20:27
He's off to Philly to do some studding? Lucky b*st*rd. :E

heliski22
26th Oct 2010, 21:04
Either that or he's going to build dome internal walls somewhere? :confused:

Eng AW139
27th Oct 2010, 01:35
"Honeywell don't seem to have grasped the offshore environment and have been badly caught out.

There were rumours they would be kicked off the AW139 in favour of Rockwell Collins."

I think Eurocopter already has with the EC175.:8

AW139 Engineer
27th Oct 2010, 23:46
Has anybody heard any more information about the Macau incident? did it throw a TR blade. Just wondering as I have removed from service some blades with lserious longitudinal cracks, not the hairline ones found in the scalloped back side root area of the tail rotor blade. The only places that can repair /refinish / statically balance and certify the Tail Rotor blades are Agusta (Italy ) and Rotor Blade Inc in the middle east. No one in north America .

Joker's Wild
28th Oct 2010, 01:16
Still no word, at least not publicly, from the Macau incident. All the bits are still with the AAIB (last I heard) and nothing further that I've seen from the HK CAD.

JW

HeliAviator
30th Oct 2010, 20:23
IM me and I can let you have a PDF file on just about all the info you need to know incl the Primus Epic.

copterdr76
5th Nov 2010, 14:26
AW139 Corporate Operators Conference
Dear Customer,
AgustaWestland cordially invites you to attend an AW139 Corporate/VIP Operators
Conference.
Tuesday, 16 November, 2010
9am – 4pm
Pfizer, Inc. Hangar
West Trenton, NJ,

Earl of Rochester
12th Nov 2010, 14:24
12th November 2010

AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, is pleased to announce that the General Security Department of Libya has taken delivery of its second AW139 medium twin engine helicopter. The aircraft is part of a total order for five AW139s sold in Libya to perform a range of roles also including border patrol and Search and Rescue and was delivered by the all new LIATEC’s (Libyan Italian Advanced Technology Company) facility at Abou Aisha airport. The start of deliveries for the General Security’s AW139s sets a major milestone in the cooperation of AgustaWestland with Libya through one of the most successful models in its large and complete product range.

stix
25th Nov 2010, 08:26
Does anyone have the PCN for the AW139? Cheers

Aser
10th Dec 2010, 09:10
The Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency Takes Delivery of Three AW139 Helicopters - Vertical Helicopter Industry News (http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/templates/?a=15588)

http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/articlefiles/15588-AW831.jpg

Regards
Aser

canukeng
3rd Jan 2011, 06:26
Hello. Thought there shall be enough engineers working on these now to talk specifically about servicings? How about parts supplies? Any tricks to know? What about the 300 hour checks? How is everyone finding them? How long is they taking? Thanking you.:ok:

Leprecas
6th Jan 2011, 17:27
Hello
I was offered to make a research and analysis for AW139 avionic systems reliability as my thesis due to the reason that some operators have weird avionic problems with this certain chopter. For example blinking displays, windshield heater malfunctioning, sx16 searchlight malfunction, some kind of problems with MAU and NIC, external power CB popping out, weird CAS messages during flight etc. I have helped to fix some of problems and many more on a few AW139's (except the "problems" that Agusta claims not to be a problem at all :confused:).
I would appreciate if you could tell what kind of problems have you came across associated avionics (both in the air or on the ground). If here is anybody who is an avionic then I would like to know if it's common for this specific chopter that wiring diagrams don't match with the aircraft.:ugh:
If anybody knows somebody who I could directly discuss this subject with (in maintenance field) I would be greatful. Somehow I couldn't find anybody's contacts in the web who works in maintenance although I have found at least a hundred operators.:confused:
So far I have managed to gather detailed history for only a few AW139's but I hope get some more information about them.
Thank you and have safe flight.

cayuse365
8th Jan 2011, 14:06
Our aircraft has a squelch break when using FREQ. 127.85. It hasn't happened on any other freq.

Also the co-pilot MFD/PFD black out on takeoff intermittently, I suspect it has something to do with WOW.

There is also a problem with an ILS offset to the right which Agusta and Honeywell are both aware of and have a fix for but have not issued yet.

KiwiRotorWrench
8th Jan 2011, 23:20
"Also the co-pilot MFD/PFD black out on takeoff intermittently, I suspect it has something to do with WOW."

We had the same problem, and with help from Agusta Tech Support (Philly) I was able to "fix it" by reseating Relay K19, which is in the Cockpit Overhead Circuit Breaker panel. Maybe when mx is in there to comply with BT139-171 they can remove/op check and reinstall K19, reasonably easy to get too!! Have not had a problem since doing this. We thought it was a WOW switch also but had no CAS messages to associate it with any/all systems controlled by WOW

Wiring Diagram is at
AWDP - VOL 2 - 39-A-24-91-00-00A-051A-A Overhead panel installation - Wiring diagram

Hope this helps

Cheers
KC

Eng AW139
10th Jan 2011, 07:51
Been having a problem with one aircraft with Torque misscompare anybody else having this problem?:ugh:

Mike C
10th Jan 2011, 09:56
With over a thousand posts it's bit hard to find if tyre loadings have been discussed.
I know a couple operators who operate with these Tyres and are getting poor mileage and uneven wear.

We have Dunlops with main wheel load ratings of 4000 lbs printed on them.
Nose wheels with 2150 lbs printed.
The Dunlop aviation tyre website for the 139 also says 140 psi recommended, and I know the maintenance manual mentions 210 psi.

12300 total rating on tyres, 139 weighs either 14,110lbs or 14,900 MAUW.
Am I missing something here??? Some one else must have noticed!!
Are people operating with overloaded and overinflated tyres?
Has anybody any solutions or point me to previous post.
Mick.

noooby
10th Jan 2011, 12:46
Mick,

Dunlop tyre design drawing shows the loads and pressures used in the 139 are outside the normal limits, but inside the emergency limits. Since you can only buy the tyres from Agusta and not even from Dunlop, I would say that Dunlop are ok with what Agusta is using them for.
Not sure if I have the drawing still or not. I asked Dunlop for it nearly 6 years ago when I first noticed the loads written on the tyres.

Leprecas
10th Jan 2011, 18:49
We had problems with MFD/PFD blackout and the change of relay helped but we didn't had the information of the location of the relay so we end up in a wrong place where was also a relay K19. If I can remember correctly it was in the ceiling at the end of the cabin. We had to find out ourselves that it was in cockpit overhead panel. One of the chopter's MFD still changes its brightness (very qiuckly from max to min and back again). It has happened on the ground and during a flight but then it works correctly for weeks.
One chopter has had one main tire changed so generally we don't have problems with these and we have main tire pressure 210psi
According to log books we haven't had problems with ILS at all but there's still a chance I missed it so I have to look again these.
Squelch break sounds intresting for me. I'll try to find out at some time if our chopters occurs that problem. So far I have heard nothing about it.

cayuse365
12th Jan 2011, 17:45
Just installed JeppView on the EuroNav moving map. After many calls back and forth with Jepps and EuroNav over one weeks time it finally works. Minor software upgrades are in the works.

If all else fails
12th Jan 2011, 19:52
and is it as good as it sounds?

cayuse365
14th Jan 2011, 02:12
It may require some stronger reading glasses, but I think it will be great for situational awareness while flying IFR.

canukeng
30th Jan 2011, 07:31
Hello. Has anyone had the problems with yaw and roll type oscillations in the 139 in level flight on AP? Thanking you

cayuse365
2nd Feb 2011, 17:12
No troubles with oscillations.

We are making metal in the MGB. Sump light on, good size chip on plug, and a lot of metal in the filter. Agusta says this is normal. Anyone else making metal?

AW139 Engineer
3rd Feb 2011, 00:54
How much time is there on the main gearbox? , is the filter full of slivers or just mud ?
There is a special chip reporting form in the MM.

good luck!

Hookipa
4th Feb 2011, 14:29
Please ... i cant believe this crap people are writing about a proven machine as in a 155 ??? Ask Shell in Warri, Nigeria about a 155. Or pilots in Aby Dhabi that went back an fourth between a 412 and 139. I have been flying the 139 in high demand daily operations, often even 24 hour environment with one day per week scheduled maintenance. FOR 5 YEARS since 2006. The only other helicopter that compares is a 76C++ In terms of Class one (CAT A) performance there is nothing that compares until the EC175 comes out. So for your customer it is by far the safest machine out there!

he1iaviator
4th Feb 2011, 20:00
Does anyone have any experience of glass windscreens (not heated) cracking?

Leprecas
5th Feb 2011, 00:57
There's been about a dozen MGB replacements for AW139 during the last year has I heard but I don't know what's the exact problem with those.

Does anyone has any expirence with FIPS ? Is it working as it should be ?

cayuse365
5th Feb 2011, 17:56
Leprecas,

Contact London Air Service they have had there's most of this winter in Vancouver.

cayuse365
5th Feb 2011, 18:00
AW139 Engineer
Less than 500 hours, filter and oil replaced three times. MM would only have you report anything after the third event.

cayuse365
5th Feb 2011, 18:10
Final report of AW139 engine failure from P&W.

"The reported in-flight shut down was resultant from the fracture of one first stage compressor vane due to fatigue initiating in the vicinity of the trailing edge. The root cause for the vane fatigue could not be determined."

AW139 Engineer
5th Feb 2011, 20:37
Main Rotor / Windscreen works great, Tail Rotor has a couple of problems that no one at Agusta knows how to deal with. Tail Rotor deice does not most of the time and I hear some of the other FIPS machines are going through the same problems. Purchased the $6,000.00 Arinc 429 Adapter and software, just have to figure out how it works for troubleshooting.

If I find the gremlin I will let you know.

cayuse365
8th Feb 2011, 16:58
Does anyone have a video of the ILS offset problem, something that shows the instruments as well as the runway allignment.

DECU MAJOR
8th Feb 2011, 23:04
cayuse365

The ILS offset alignment was only when using the DCL mode (A/C to the right of centerline) on the Phase 4 software. When we upgraded to Phase 5 the problem was gone.

MS29513-017
9th Feb 2011, 10:48
Any one know who is in charge of 2 x 139's that PLDT has brought and operating in the Philippines?

Leprecas
14th Feb 2011, 14:42
AW139 Engineer

We found our problem with FIPS which were SOVs (both). Before the change of these the system worked sometimes and at the end it didn't work at all. About the ARINC 429 adapter and software - to be honest I'm a little bit disappointed of it. I hoped it says the exact problem but it tells a punch of codes and due to that you need a lot tabels and other papers to figure out what the computer wants to tell you.

squib66
16th Feb 2011, 20:00
Is Bond's first AW139, G-PERA, flying yet?

Aser
16th Feb 2011, 22:33
I don't know but...
Bond Offshore Helicopters prepare for AW139 operations | Helihub - the Helicopter Industry Data Source (http://www.helihub.com/2011/02/01/bond-offshore-helicopters-prepare-for-aw139-operations/)

1 Feb, 11
Yesterday, Bond Offshore Helicopters registered their first AW139 helicopter with teh UK CAA – it is G-PERA which reflects it being contracted to the independent oil & gas company Perenco. Previously this company’s operations were supported by an AW139 from CHC. The AW139, which will be joined by a second prior to the contract start on 1st May, will be based from Norwich. This airport is fast becoming the “Aberdeen of the Southern North Sea” as other options such as North Denes are closed down. (see HeliHub.com story)

This is the first time Bond Offshore Helicopters operates the AW139, and its first contract in the Southern North Sea.

Perenco has operations in 16 countries across the globe, ranging from Northern Europe to Africa and from South America to the Middle East.

Regards
Aser

Aser
19th Feb 2011, 13:04
Date: 2010-01-04

Further Action Required: Yes

O.P.I.: Commercial & Business Aviation

Narrative: London Air Services Ltd. Agusta AW139, registration C-FPSE enroute IFR from Tofino (CYAZ) to Victoria Harbour (Camel Point, CBF7) encountered icing conditions that required a descent to 5000' which was below the IFR minimum alititude of 7000'. Controllers treated the situation as an emergency and monitored the aircraft to ensure that the helicopter remained over water, clear of terrain. The aircraft was handed off to Seattle (SEA) Air Route Traffic Control Centre (ARTCC) at 1850z.

Above the text from the Cadors report.

I wonder if they had the anti-ice kit installed and the icing conditions were severe...

Regards
Aser

noooby
19th Feb 2011, 16:38
I thought only C-GKSW had the FIPS installed?

cayuse365
19th Feb 2011, 17:11
This is an excerpt from the Honeywell Service Information Letter 7 FEB 2011.

(e) Autopilot/Flight Director
NOTE: The following issue affects Phase 5 and Phase 6 only.
1 The radar altitude hold (RHT) mode:
a On some occasions, RHT does not hold altitude and will
increase or decrease altitude without pilot input. This does
not occur every time RHT is engaged.
NOTE: The following issue affects Phase 5 and Phase 6 only.
2 The hover (HOV) mode has been seen to disengage without input
from the pilot. This does not occur every time HOV is engaged.
3 Instrument landing system (ILS) offsets:
a While on localizer (LOC), an offset of as much as one dot off
is observed even though the flight director bars are centered.
This does not occur on every ILS approach and is not limited
to any specific approach.
b If the aircraft is lined up on the ILS prior to engagement,
the offset does not occur.

Honeywell has an software fix which will only be available if you upgrade to Phase 7. However, maybe with more operator's putting pressure on them and Agusta we can have all the aircraft updated.

AW139 Engineer
19th Feb 2011, 23:44
Anser, C-FPSE not a FIPS ship and LAS did not recieve C-GKSW(FIPS) until mid summer of 2010.

Cheers

Aser
20th Feb 2011, 08:56
AW139 Engineer thanks for the info.

Regards
Aser

KiwiRotorWrench
22nd Feb 2011, 17:54
"Summer 2010"
Just in time for the Olympics right Gord:ok:

KiwiRotorWrench
22nd Feb 2011, 18:01
P/N 3G7610V00331, 2 each located up in aft cabin roof. Agusta price =$13,926.00, no core value (ie throwaway to AW:D). Anyone had theirs repaired, tested? By whom?

Anyone else having no starter action when idle selected, that may be caused by these expensive relay box's

Thanks
KC

noooby
22nd Feb 2011, 23:09
Had the no start thing before.

Ours was caused by some NCF faults in the EEC that inhibited the start sequence. Did a full DCU download to see what faults we had, and there were lots. Common issue was a power interruption.

Removed the connectors from both EEC's applied Stabilant 22 and refitted. Everything worked fine after that.

I haven't had an engine relay box fail before. Doesn't mean they won't, just I haven't seen one fail (touch wood).

Have had 3 Eng Mode Sel panels fail. Usually engine won't go to idle from flight.

Is your machine still under warranty?

Aser
21st Mar 2011, 13:35
BERNAMA - Weststar Takes Delivery Of Three Helicopters (http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5/newsbusiness.php?id=572454)

the last three of nine aw139

Regards
Aser

AW139 Engineer
23rd Mar 2011, 15:09
After many hours of statically checking FIPS Tail Rotor Blades several times as per Agusta Recommendations, all continuity, insulation, and shorting checks all 4 Tail Rotor blades met and passed the Agusta specified parameters. But when actually running on the aircraft we would get "Tail Rotor Degraded". The Slip Ring was Clean and all Related connections seemed to be in order.

A ground run at NR 100% "FIPS ON" with the Ballard ARINC 429 Software hooked up revealed a fault on page 275 (TR Distributor Unit Status)-17 '"Temp Sensor 3 "Fail"

A second ground run at NR 100% , FIPS ON and System Tests completed
(display panel showing "CHK and TR DEGR) revealed the following faults on page 275(TR Distributor Unit Status) -13 Tail Rotor 1/3 "Fail"
-17 TR temp Sensor 3 "Fail: and -19 TR Heating Status "Degraded"

and...

Page 272 (ARINC 429 From ICB to MAU Revealed Fault -14 Mat "failure"

After discussion with AgustaWestland in Europe They recommended replacement of Blades 1 and /or 3 due to Temp Sensor failure. As the blade status system is not capable of pin pointing a failure in a individual TR blade , only blades 1 & 3 (channel A)and blades 2/4 (Channel B) due to the fact the circutry works in series. It is up the the operator to do figure out which blade is the culprit. Of Course no FIPS TR Blades Available in North America at this time and we must again wait for parts from Italy.

malabo
23rd Mar 2011, 18:30
So has anyone actually done a revenue trip in known icing with the AW139 yet? Quite a few operators here in Canada expect to, but I haven't heard of it being done yet. West coast doesn't have real icing anyway compared to around here :E

Arcal76
25th Mar 2011, 18:31
We have 2 aircraft on line and a third who should be on line in May.Nobody has been using the FIPS because we have been told it is U/S now.We could not get the exact reason???Some are saying it is related to the tail rotor,other are talking about certification on some options installed on the aircraft????Don't know more....

Outwest
26th Mar 2011, 05:26
I have heard a rumor that there is an STC out to convert to lead-acid batteries, any truth to that?

Leprecas
28th Mar 2011, 07:48
Our FIPS failed again. This time TR. Temp sensor were all okey but 3 blades out of 4 had a shortage so there is nothing else to do to wait new blades from Italy. Fortunately Italy is much closer to us than to North America.

Aser
29th Mar 2011, 13:03
Rotorsim buys AW139 full-flight simulator | Helihub - the Helicopter Industry Data Source (http://www.helihub.com/2011/03/29/rotorsim-buys-aw139-full-flight-simulator/)

29 Mar, 11
Rotorsim, the consortium owned equally by CAE (NYSE:CAE)(TSX:CAE) and AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, today announced that it is expanding with the purchase from CAE’s Military business of a CAE 3000 Series full-flight simulator (FFS) replicating the AW139 aircraft.

The new AW139 FFS, to be delivered in 2012, will be jointly developed by CAE and AgustaWestland. The simulator will be qualified to Level D, the highest qualification for flight simulators.

Regards
Aser

outhouse
29th Mar 2011, 14:28
Well news of another Level D simulator, great however is this the best cost effective option within the present Market

The advantages over a lower level more cost effective options are what? Zero AC time for conversion, is that a advantage? Some may say not. Look at the costs and what a company may need when your Zero time AC pilot returns, still will have to fly the aircraft and complete needed flight tests. However allows third party training from sim only companies to give type courses and gain the high profit gains.

Maybe some companies committing to good size fleets should look at low cost simulator investment, and cash in on third party dry lease of sim. Profit edge high, risk factor low, investment pay back time well you guess.:ok:

Aser
5th Apr 2011, 17:32
Heliportugal AW139 Supports Prince of Wales (http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/templates/?a=16610)

http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/articlefiles/16610-AW862-1_crop.jpg

Regards
Aser

Peter PanPan
5th Apr 2011, 18:10
Thanks for the article link, they forget to mention Iran and Romenia as two other locations where HP operates, both for Oil Offshore contracts. :hmm:

Hilife
6th Apr 2011, 03:16
This latest event confirms AgustaWestland as the leading helicopter company in the world market for VVIP transport purposes through the most comprehensive range of dedicated helicopters.

Somebody clearly forgot to mention this to HRH/RTO, as He/They recently replaced their S-76C+ with an S-76C++ in preference to the AW139 and EC155B1, having looked closely at all three types.

'Horses for courses' as they say......

Epiphany
6th Apr 2011, 06:22
Unlike many operators of the AW139 they probably took the bold step of actually investigating AW after-sales service beforehand. That should have convinced them to remain with SK. EC155? - well that must have been a red herring.

Aser
5th May 2011, 11:17
New InaBond 139 :}
AW139 rolled out in full Bond Offshore colours | Helihub - the Helicopter Industry Data Source (http://www.helihub.com/2011/05/05/aw139-rolled-out-in-full-bond-offshore-colours/)

http://www.helihub.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/aw139-bond1-2x.jpg

Regards
Aser

rotor-rooter
20th May 2011, 01:03
Very interesting to see that Bristow has a brand new 139 For Sale with "delivery hours" only.

What on Earth can this mean?

zudhir
24th May 2011, 14:22
Any particular reason why we leave the rotor brake on till the very end of its run and let it come a violent halt ? Makes me wince everytime. Can't be too good for the transmission, can it?

griffothefog
24th May 2011, 16:54
Zud,

Agree it feels savage when you engage the RB, but I have tried to modulate the
procedure and its just as nasty :eek:

griffothefog
24th May 2011, 17:01
Well we have queried 2 blades since the latest AD inspection from AW...

Any other operators want to throw in their returns.......:eek:

Not happy, especially as I have a 4 hour night flight over mountains tomorrow :{

spinwing
24th May 2011, 22:04
Mmmmm ....

A well know operator in the middle east (who for now shall remain nameless) now 'recommends' not using the RB unless absolutely necessary in an effort to protect the lead lag dampers!! :hmm:

Griffo ... flying at night is un-natural ... thought by now you'd worked that out? :eek:

industry insider
25th May 2011, 02:22
5 out of 9 of Weststar's (Malaysia) new Aw139s are currently grounded, anything to do with the TR inspections? These aircraft are almost new....Petronas are not happy it seems.

Aser
25th May 2011, 08:50
Complete 50min. National Geographic documentary about the construction of the the AW139, only in Italian, but a very good show.
MeSeek - Your page Streaming News (http://meseek.net/?u=nofaith%2Fply%2F1556374749%2Faplay-1556374749.html)

Very interesting the main gearbox section...

Regards
Aser

heliski22
25th May 2011, 09:05
If there are no pax, or even if there are pax, the speed of whose disembarkation is not critical, or if there are no other conditions which require the rotor brake, then just let it the rotor system spool down on its own - it doesn't actually take a whole lot longer. There's a lot of rotating mass up there and no matter how you try to modulate it, the braking action always feel quite violent and seems to put a lot of load on everything.

I'm sure somebody will counter-argue that such loading is tiny compared to the constant loading on the system when under power with pitch applied in flight and that may be so.

9Aplus
25th May 2011, 13:46
Very interesting the main gearbox section...

Sure... they "buy" me first time when we visited Cachina with that gear box
department (and all arround), here is not visible "test bed" for MGB, I was there
during dry run test....
And solid shaft between two of BA609 MGB was point on the end :cool:

noooby
25th May 2011, 16:07
Thanks for the link Aser. My Italian is very poor at the best of times, but it is still an interesting video.
The dry run Main Gearbox was given a coat of paint and installed on the Maintenance Simulator that is now used at Sesto. Very nice gearbox with a great partner involved who know how to make strong gearboxes (Kawasaki).

Aser
26th May 2011, 17:07
One more 139 to INAER...
Grupo INAER Orders Seven AgustaWestland Helicopters | Vertical - Helicopter News (http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/templates/?a=16999)

I wonder where are they going to fly 4 AW109 GrandNew in offshore???

wde
27th May 2011, 14:01
Our fleet of AW139s has incurred several in flight spontaneous ELT activations. Anyone else out there suffer from this?

WDE