PDA

View Full Version : Agusta AW139

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

heliski22
8th May 2008, 21:16
Well, let's see how it works out then, shall we, 212?

A lot of it will be be down to perception and preference, despite what the engineers come up with. Makes little difference to me, I'll drive what I get paid to drive at the end of the day.

I knew men would burn a DAF rather than drive a Scania but there were others who would do just the reverse - thing is, they couldn't all be right, could they?

Aser
9th May 2008, 16:01
11th April 2008, 10:27 #437
Forsyth
Probationary PPRuNer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone knows what happened with a AW-139 operated by Heliportugal during a ferry flight from Italy to Portugal?
I heard an strange history, apparently the main rotor hits the WSPS due a strong turbulence?
Would be nice to know what realy happened.
Cheers

Hi!
I confirm the same info from an Italian tech. I was told about 5000ft/min. of vertical speed in seconds... due to turbulence when in south of Spain. :ooh:

Regards
Aser

Aser
9th May 2008, 18:03
Just found that we have new FM supplements:

Supp. 48 - Powered Parking Brakes :D
Supp. 52 - Wescam MX-15 Series FLIR
Supp. 53 - Nightsun II XP Searchlight
ranges limited by mechanical stops: Azimuth... 15 deg. to right :ugh:
Supp. 57 - Active Vibration Control System :D

Regards
Aser

Aser
11th May 2008, 19:46
5th May 2008, 10:49 #493
heliski22

Posts: 103 And what about Manual Starting, boys and girls!

What about this scenario?

#2 up and running, move #1 EMS to IDLE and ................... nothing! Figlio di puttana!! Try it again, check all the switches, ECLs, Auto Mode, etc, still nothing but a 1 ENG MODE SEL caption has appeared on the CAS.

The checklist says Mode switch has failed and to "continue flight, monitoring parameters" but nowt about start-up.

However, with passengers happily aboard and ready to go as well as the nearest maintenance being a days camel ride away, what to do.............?

Well, as #2 is already fired up and, therefore, there is no shortage of precious voltage to keep everything running, switch # 1 to Manual and see what happens. Press the button and lo, it's spinning up, lights off and steadies itself at idle. # 1 back to Auto, the Caption disappears and they match.

So now, there's two engines running, and no warnings or cautions. What to do..............? Yep, I thought so too!

To add to the mix, there was nothing in the CMC afterwards - NOTHING. So, was it snag or was it not a snag? Was it a software fart or not? Did it happen or not?

Or should I still be waiting in a field for the camel-borne techie to come and tell me there was nothing wrong to start with and what the f****** hell was I playing at?

Now, I know it's Italian, and therefore apt to be a little peculiar, but I will NOT buy it flowers and mutter sweet things in its earhole..............just to get it to perform.

Hi Heliski22,

What about this scenario?
After landing, 1-2 ENG at IDLE
We want to move aircraft so put EMS 2 FLIGHT
Engine spools up at 100% but 2 ENG MODE SEL appears on CAS
Put EMS 1 to Flight and NF reach 100% without TQ matching... NG near IDLE
EMS 1 FLIGHT-IDLE-FLIGHT, nothing...
Try to put EMS 2 to IDLE and nothing happens
If you switch ENG 2 GOV => AUTO-MANUAL-AUTO
Everything working fine.
:8
I've been told by Italian pilot also to check/move a little the ECLs, if they are not exactly in "FLIGHT" position you may have this problem.

Who is coming to Valencia??

Regards
Aser

RedWhite&Blue
11th May 2008, 20:42
Aser

We do say 14 sectors (short shuttling) moving the EMS from fly to idle, as we land, and then back to fly for take off. Then on say the 15th we may get a EMS failure. The engine just dosn't respond.

Never moved the ECLs from the minute they were tested preflight. So why on the 15th do we get a EMS failure?

So, we just flick into manual and back into auto, and away we go again.

Just another day in the office.

You must ask why has one of the ECLs moved then?

Is it a function of that bloody harsh vibration or that the ECL hasn't moved but; the software might have some "Microsoft" code embedded eh?? ...

We seem to change EMS panels quite often with no fault found.

Huuummmm...

Red

KiloAlfaLima
12th May 2008, 06:58
microsoft embedded??? of course bill gates is everywhere :8, the EMS has a circuit inside that its always checking the system in a loop mode, it checks everything, EEC, ECL, GOV, etc... if anything is not in its correct position then youll have the failure, even ive tested to go slowly from the IDLE to flight or viceversa and i had tha F... message. anyway we still have these tricks to fix the problem for the time been. maybe with the new software release they might come with something, do you have it installed????

heliski22
12th May 2008, 10:57
Che c***o, KAL, you mean I have to keep track of software versions as well? :)

And I thought I had it sorted with the Jeppes, the FMS, the RFM, the QRH, the BTs, the Information Letters.................

ASV
23rd May 2008, 16:56
Hi all....

Qustion if we fix the flir and the nightsun in the AW139 can we do i desrt landing day and night folks...???

speds
23rd May 2008, 22:01
If I understand your question you are looking for the safest way to conduct night landings in the desert?

Dust/Sand recirculation is the killer. FLIR and nightsun are useful for a site recce but will not help you during the actual approach and can make the situation worse as the dust cloud reaches the cockpit.

NightSun fitted to a buddy helicopter illuminating the landing site from above and behind you could also be a great help if there is no recirculation.

A really thorough recce is required using every aid available to find a level site clear of obstructions on the approach and overshoot and a stoney rather than sandy surface! Approach into moon if possible and always into wind and aim for a slow/zero speed touchdown to the ground.

The safest helicopter aid for night desert landings has got to be NVG combined with a blacklight searchlight.

Just as important however is training, training and many many more hours of training and then maintaining current practise.

None of this kit will provide a magical ability. Night desert landings are probably the most difficult and dangerous manoeuvres any helicopter pilot will ever attempt. If the money is tight spending it on NVG training hours is better than buying Nightsun and FLIR hardware. That is my opinion.

ASV
24th May 2008, 13:50
Thanks speds for your reply, but I still wanna know is it possible to land in the desert with flir fitted on the nose on AW139 and nightsun on the side I mean the clearance is enough to land in rough ground ??

Night desert landings are probably the most difficult and dangerous manoeuvres any helicopter pilot will ever attempt

by the way
I've been doing this maneuver since 98 on the seaking !!! Touch wood :ok:

bandit19
25th May 2008, 18:01
Our FLIR is mounted on the belly with very little clearance, so the crew chief has to visually clear us down. (not fun and you better have EAPS) Hopefully the nose mounted FLIR should do better for you. You will find that the skinny mains sink very easily into the sand but the nose wheel seems to do better with two tires and less weight.

As for the night-sun I would highly recommend that it is brought to a horizontal, or near horizontal position prior to touchdown. I usually switch from the night-sun to the searchlight prior to being enveloped in sand because the backscatter from the night-sun can be blinding under some conditions. (you also get a secondary confirmation that the gear is down because of the big nose wheel shadow:ugh:)

Anyway, when you get bored, rotate it to the full down position just to show yourself how little room you have for obstruction clearance even on an improved surface.

(also, if you are going to play in the sand, you may want to clean out the bleed air filters if you notice an engine(s) running at a higher temp then usual and don’t forget to flush the EAPS during washes they load up pretty fast)

skiddriver
25th May 2008, 18:11
Have you all considered fitting the snow shoes to the main gear to prevent the main tires from sinking in the sand?

bandit19
25th May 2008, 18:25
I have had that exact thought myself. I think it would work well. I’ll put it on my wish list right after NVG’s

ASV
26th May 2008, 02:05
Our FLIR is mounted on the belly with very little clearance,

what do you fly ??

bandit19
26th May 2008, 08:26
139's with SeaFLIRII and SX-16 night-sun.

ASV
26th May 2008, 09:06
139's with SeaFLIRII and SX-16 night-sun

woow can you send me the Picture ? :)

arwom
26th May 2008, 09:15
Has anyone got the nightsun mounted in a position other than the left hand side which is very limiting. Picture if possible would be appreciated.

bandit19
26th May 2008, 09:15
http://www.helitorque.com/albums/searchandrescue/abf.sized.jpg

ASV
26th May 2008, 09:47
bandit19 What a nice picture, is this belong to uae police?

bandit19
26th May 2008, 10:10
UAE Air Force SAR

tonyosborne
26th May 2008, 11:55
I read that the FAS contract to the UAEAF was for two years beginning in August 06. Are they going to renew it later this year?

spinwing
26th May 2008, 11:59
Contract was lost to Abu Dhabi Aviation .......

tonyosborne
26th May 2008, 12:06
Is that using 139s as well?

spinwing
26th May 2008, 12:09
Yes it is ...... :cool:

bandit19
26th May 2008, 17:29
Anybody need a SAR pilot? :O

ASV
26th May 2008, 17:37
Anybody need a SAR pilot?

yes ! ;):p

AB139engineer
27th May 2008, 04:24
Bandit 19

Is that the Evergreen Machine??

bandit19
27th May 2008, 04:53
Yes, that is one of two that are here.

AB139engineer
28th May 2008, 04:38
Bandit 19

How is Agusta's spares support in the middle east?? It sucks here in N. America. Italy and AAC never seen to communicate. No one can give you a delivery date on anything. We recieved a second AW139 just before Christmas and still have not recieved our 15 seat configuration. No one in AAC knows when it will be delivered. We are still waiting for the 4th axis on our first machine also for the last year.

Fed Up

Eng AW139
28th May 2008, 05:08
We have installed 7 aircraft with the 4th axis auto pilot as per the BT. It not a big deal.

Our 8th aircraft we did have to wait a long time to receive the 2 AHRS.

It alot quicker to carry out upgrades than to wait for Agusta.

We are completing the bubble windows, SX16, hard cover floats, Talon radio.

Just have the phone handy to get ahold of the rep when the aircraft wiring is not whats in the BT or IETP.

bandit19
28th May 2008, 13:24
I'm not an Engineer so thankfully I don't have to fight those battles. Delays seem hit or miss dependent on what componant. At least you won't have to deal with UAE Customs :ugh:

Eng AW139
28th May 2008, 16:32
Then we will see you in Sept..

Aser
29th May 2008, 01:23
26th May 2008 09:15
arwom Nightsun position

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone got the nightsun mounted in a position other than the left hand side which is very limiting. Picture if possible would be appreciated.

Here you are...
https://www.rotor.com/portals/12/RotorNews/July%2007/CBP_AW139_DSC_0104_small.jpg

Regards
Aser

ASV
30th May 2008, 07:50
nice one Aser...:ok:

Non-PC Plod
31st May 2008, 10:23
Just for some training feedback- can I ask how many people out there routinely fly with the EGPWS circuit breaker pulled?

Demented
31st May 2008, 10:40
Probably 95% of the crews I know

S.M.S
31st May 2008, 13:53
good job folks....:ok::ok:

Lightonwheels
4th Jun 2008, 08:16
Condolences to the families.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=329624

heliski22
4th Jun 2008, 21:56
Demented

Do you mean 95% of crews you know leave the EGPWS off all the time or just sometimes when they're low level?

Just curious, our own operations mean we only get under the threshold for activation on finals, so basically it's left alone pretty much all the time. Apart from which, I seem not to be able to handle the little caption on the PFD looking dolefully out at me.

Demented
5th Jun 2008, 06:29
It is off all the time:=

speds
6th Jun 2008, 13:45
According to Demented, 95% of the AW139 pilots he knows, fly with the EGPWS circuit breaker pulled.

Would any other operators care to share their company SOP on use of this "system designed to give the pilot superior situational awareness and to warn the pilot of..........impending danger of controlled flight into terrain.

Are you encouraged to manage the system through selection of Low Alt, G/S Cancel, Terr Inhibit and Mute ON/OFF switches, or do you pull the breaker regardless of day/night, the flight conditions and altitude/phase of flight?

speds

Non-PC Plod
6th Jun 2008, 18:13
I'm really interested to know, because, obviously its a system intended to improve situational awareness and safety. I have noticed it being routinely disabled, almost without a second thought. This suggests that either: 1. Its being disabled because it is not fit for purpose, in which case the warning thresholds maybe need changing, or: 2. Its being disabled because that is what people are being taught to do, in which case the training system needs revisiting.

RedWhite&Blue
9th Jun 2008, 13:13
Having read the thread about the tragic events in the Gulf, I noticed the following quote.

Even an all EFIS cockpit has standby electromechanical horizons, ASIs VSIs and altimeters. Any experienced IFR pilot is capable of operating on these even in the event of a total electrical failure.

As all 139 pilots well know, this is not the case.

This made me wonder how other 139 pilots feel about the display suite as fitted to the 139, with regard to the very remote chance of total electrical failure when flying without external visual reference.

I make no comment at this point as I don't want to 'steer' any response, but I would be very interested to hear other people's views.

Red

heliski22
9th Jun 2008, 14:13
Being one of the "seven or so" crews referred to earlier on who managed to get the Battery Master off instead of the Battery Main while dealing with Double DC Gen failure in the Sim, I can attest to the thoroughly unpleasant sinking feeling when everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in front of you goes black!

From initial Ground School, I've had some personal reservations about the lack of an independent power supply for that instrument. It does seem extraordinary that a perfectly simple mistake - two adjoining switches with broadly the same function in principle - can result in a blackout. If it happens IMC, no screens and no APs means you're headed for the obituary columns.

However, an independent supply for the instrument might only provide attitude reference and, presumably airspeed and altitude information (yes, I appreciate that's all it takes to stay alive) with all the other information normally available coming from NAV sources which depend upon power from the primary electrical system being lost. Don't know how it might be designed to work in practice.

heliski22
19th Jun 2008, 09:27
The fancy (and very expensive) portable tow-bar is clearly placarded to say there are no safety devices (shear pins) and to exercise caution while towing. Fair enough!

The standard tow-bar (equally expensive but it looks a lot chunkier and creates the impression of a bit more value for your dollar) has no such placard and has a very sexy-looking row of replacement shear pins mounted along the side.

If you don't know already, exercise caution, boys and girls - the shear protection is only available in longitudinal (fore/aft) load. If you apply excessive lateral load (nose wheel lock still engaged) the main tube will fail, assuming the nose wheel lock assembly doesn't come asunder first, of course.

According to Agusta, it is designed this way and must be replaced, not repaired in such an instance.

So, if you push or pull too hard in a straight line, you replace the 50 cent shear pin. If you push or pull too hard sideways, you replace the $21,000 tow-bar. Che C***o!! :ouch:

So, after a review of procedure and the proper use of the Locking Pin, we've now re-placarded the main tow-bar as having no safety devices (it might as well not have) and appropriate caution is to be exercised!!:confused:

S.M.S
19th Jun 2008, 19:57
Hi folks...

In the AW139 why there is ON/OFF siwthc on the cockpit for ELT ???:)

Ned-Air2Air
19th Jun 2008, 22:59
Hey Bandit - Nice pic of the 139 - Looks familiar :E:E

Ned-Air2Air
19th Jun 2008, 23:06
Aser - Special pic just for you :)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Heli%20Ops/a12.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
19th Jun 2008, 23:11
Few pics of 139s.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/HeliTorque/air2air_75.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/HeliTorque/air2air_25.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/HeliTorque/air2air_21.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
19th Jun 2008, 23:21
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Falcon005.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Falcon016.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Falcon018.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Falcon029.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Falcon070.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
19th Jun 2008, 23:23
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Falcon091.jpg

widgeon
21st Jun 2008, 11:23
Is the tail rotor canted on this model or is it an optical illusion.

spinwing
21st Jun 2008, 12:44
Mmmmm....

Yup, Tail Rotor gearbox is canted 11 degrees ...thus it is known as the 101 box!

:E

funderrc
27th Jun 2008, 16:08
I am currently in Vergiate conducting the acceptance on our first AW139 (long nose) for Saudi Aramco. On our first flight I noticed an "in and out" roaring / vibration coming from the front of the aircraft. The test pilot also commented on it. The next day, we installed the FLIR, which is mounted in front of the nose landing gear and noticed that the roaring / vibration was not present. We were flying at the same airspeeds.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. We do have the nose landing gear doors removed. It starts at around 130 KIAS and gets worse as speed increases.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Rennie

bandit19
27th Jun 2008, 19:50
You made me famous...want an autograph :8

S.M.S
28th Jun 2008, 02:53
first AW139 (long nose) for Saudi Aramco. On our first flight I noticed an "in and out" roaring / vibration coming from the front

:ugh::eek::eek::eek::eek::ugh:

maeroda
28th Jun 2008, 18:45
......."We do have the nose landing gear doors removed".......

Without that gear doors 193 is noisy.
Did you have also landing gear down, didn't you?:bored:

Do you remember test pilot's name?

Maeroda

maeroda
28th Jun 2008, 19:00
Just one shot of our one, Italian Alps.

http://images4.fotoalbum.alice.it/v/www1-4//173/173032/296385/DSCN1091-vi.jpg

maeroda
28th Jun 2008, 19:02
http://images2.fotoalbum.alice.it/v/www1-2//173/173032/296385/_DSD5739-vi.jpg

speds
28th Jun 2008, 20:38
Hi Maeroda

Are those the Snow Skids on I-CEPA? Can you tell me how long they take to fit and remove please?

Speds

maeroda
29th Jun 2008, 18:40
The picture shows snow skids.
Considering two technicians working on the early type of skids for fitting it takes about 2 hours as helicopter has to be lifted up with 4 hydraulics yokes; 2,5 hours if also they have to perform fine adjustments.
Removal takes 1,5 hours.
There are some new skids allowing the helicopter to be rolled on them by pulling it with tractor without using lifting yokes and saving time, say taking 1 our manwork.

Maeroda

bandit19
30th Jun 2008, 11:08
I'ld like to try them in the sand. Probably help from burying the FLIR :ok:

S.M.S
30th Jun 2008, 11:33
I'ld like to try them in the sand

:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

noooby
2nd Jul 2008, 04:16
There are Slump Pads available for use on soft ground. Basically smaller Snow Skis. Check your IPC, they are in there

mario139
4th Jul 2008, 07:46
Hey funderrc,
Just thought I'd let you know about a "roaring vibration" in our AW139. Starts all of a sudden in cruise flight (sometimes!), and carries on until slow down below 100 KIAS. Very noticeably by all on board including the wide-eyed pax. (Offshore config). Thought about nose gear door, but cycling gear had no effect. Start getting worried about roof cowl etc etc. However, finally tracked it down to port side liferaft manual handle canvas flap. Velcro which holds it closed gets worn out (remember AW told us not to open it on pre-flight because it only wears it out!). Anyway the flap starts to resonate like a drum and really gets a good tune going. Repaired it with some duct tape (lasted about 10 minutes) then re-velcroed plus added domes, and sweet as. The only hard bit is taking the whole front liferaft fairing down to the canvas shop to get it sewn up.
So if you are tracking on odd, intermittent loud vibe, check out the liferaft flap.:ok:

bandit19
4th Jul 2008, 08:54
Sometimes the velcro stays in place and the flap itself blows out at once. It will definitely get your attention if it happens in cruise. :ooh: So take a look, if they are showing wear you might avoid that uncomfortable "WTF was that" moment in the cockpit. :confused:

A_gusta_Wind
6th Jul 2008, 13:44
Anyone out there know the WTC for the AW139. "Light" is 7000Kg or less, but does the fact that its a helicopter shift it up a category? And where might I find the official reference to it? Haven't found it in the RFM so far.

AGW

JackAirman
6th Jul 2008, 14:59
interesting attachments on the Irish 139's

http://www.worldairpics.com/images/wap_images/1024644.jpg

Captain Gartmort
6th Jul 2008, 19:27
From the RFM

BASIS OF CERTIFICATION
This helicopter is certified by European Aviation Safety Agency
(EASA) in accordance with JAR 29 for Large Rotorcraft Category A
and B.

maeroda
7th Jul 2008, 11:17
Mario139,

Our 139 roars as yours but without life rafts! :confused:
And rear bulkhead do vibrate as an old 1954 "Falcone" Moto Guzzi over 135 IAS.:eek:

Any idea?

maeroda

spinwing
10th Jul 2008, 01:46
G'day Gents.....

An interesting problem .... the FMS seems to be easy enough to load BUT .....

... how about the "custom" database ... has anybody been able to come up with the easy way to re-load and maintain the custom database on the Honeywell FMS without haveing to manually reload each waypoint individually.

The prospect of having to reload 400 odd waypoints after a "box" changeover or a corruption of the database is more than daunting ... in fact could drive me back to my old mate "Capt Morgan" (and his "Spicey Rum") made even more terrifying if one has to care for 10 or so 139s!

The books do not seem to tell of the easy way and the "Greenies" don't seem to be interested enough to find out???

:ugh:

Shawn Coyle
10th Jul 2008, 02:47
Spinwing:
Did you ask Honeywell - this sort of thing should be pretty easy. I know that Universal had something like a custom database for their UNS-1 system, and I would have thought Honeywell would too.
Have you checked with any folks at Bluecoat Digest? - it's a forum for FMS related stuff - mostly big FW stuff, but the Honeywell is a big FW FMS...

spinwing
10th Jul 2008, 06:32
Thanks Shawn,

I'll try checking that "Bluecoat Digest" .... thus far nobody seems to be able to help .... at least with the old "steamdriven" Freeflight 2101 we could maintain a "Custom Data Card" which would fix any corruptions literally in a "flash" ... so far our new "high tech wetdreams" have been a bit frustrating!

Cheers :(

funderrc
10th Jul 2008, 07:05
It appears that our aircraft is a one of a kind. We have the long nose version with additional support to house a FLIR. When it is installed, it acts as a very nice air dam and the vibration is not that bad.

Once it is removed, we do notice it above 130 KIAS, but by adjusting the mass dampers, Agusta was able to reduce the vibration. We still get an increase noise due to the gear door being removed, but with our FLIR rail, we can not have the doors installed.

Thanks for the imput and we will keep the Raft cover in mind. We have noticed with our 109's that the Italians can not make a decent glue. I guess that ate all of the horses

RVDT
10th Jul 2008, 07:24
Tell the lads at Vergiate to wander up the road to CH and see how they modify the doors to close them after fitting Ski's / Settling pads as on the 109.

Look here - A109E (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Agusta-A-109E-Power/0999869/L/&width=1024&height=695&sok=keyword_%28%27+%22hb-zbc%22%27_IN_BOOLEAN_MODE%29%29_&sort=_order_by_photo_id_DESC_&photo_nr=8&prev_id=1000696&next_id=0991845)

BellBoy796
10th Jul 2008, 08:41
I've been told by my Avionics department a data card reader/writer is available for the B777 the Primus Epic was designed for but there's nothing like it for the FMS installed in the 139. There is a way to clone from one MAU box to another, so if you have a spare MAU you could use it as a very expensive datacard to load and back up your Custom Database. Otherwise it's a manual process one entry at at time. Agusta - you listening?

bombiter
10th Jul 2008, 16:52
BellBoy796 & Spinwing:

Our latest 139 is delivered with a Data Transfer Unit, which has an optical drive and Smartcard slots. Until now I was not able to play with it, but I suppose it can be used to load all the software and data which would be installed with a laptop via the LAN bus in the older 139’s.

spinwing
11th Jul 2008, 01:20
Mmmmmm ....

Yup that'd probably do it! Thanks .... :ok:

BellBoy796
11th Jul 2008, 06:22
Thanks for that, Bombiter. I'll check again with Avionics. We have a new aircraft waiting for assembly behind the hangar and perhaps it has the Data Transfer Unit you mentioned. I sure hope so. ANY corruption in the MAU or somebody hitting the wrong button on the MCDU and that manually entered database evaporates.

FlybeJoe
11th Jul 2008, 13:25
Sorry,

I believe that the Data Loaderr Unit delivered is for the HUMS:sad: not for the FMS - I believe there's a way using the CMS system to download (to PC) user waypoints try getting the greenies to investigate "File Transfer" of Database module)

Aser
11th Jul 2008, 19:44
Doc Brown
Problems
1. When will the full SAR modes by Honeywell be ready?
Is it really March 2009?
2. Does anyone have problems with warping of the tail rotor drive shaft cover.
3. Battery mounts cracking?

Any other problems not being discussed?

1. only god knows...
2. yes , agusta already knows.
3. on MRC mounts yes.

3D CAM
11th Jul 2008, 20:47
Doc
Yes to all three.
Battery tray, rear outboard screw area. Is this tray really man enough to carry that battery? I think not!
3D

Aser
16th Jul 2008, 17:26
From Press releases:

AW139 To Target Long Range Offshore Market
Monday, July 14, 2008 / AgustaWestland

AgustaWestland is undertaking work to certify the AW139 with a Maximum Gross Weight (MGW) of 6,800 kg (14,991 Ib), a 400 kg (882 Ib) increase on the current certified MGW of 6,400 kg. The increased MGW and payload will enable the AW139 to target the long range offshore transport market currently being met by larger 18/19-seat types.

The increased maximum gross weight will give operators even higher levels of productivity while maintaining the helicopter's excellent performance and operating envelope, including Category A/Class 1 performance. The increased MGW will be available on all new production aircraft as an option. A dedicated bulletin will be available to allow aircraft already in service to operate at the increased MGW. The bulletin involves minimal hardware modifications.

The increased MGW will not impact component TBOs and work is being undertaken to minimise the impact on maintenance, procedures and operating costs. EASA certification of the MGW increase is expected by the end of 2008 with FAA certification soon after. The AW139 in typical offshore transport configuration with 12 passengers and 30 minutes fuel reserve will have a range in excess of 300 nm (555 km), significantly greater than other helicopters in its weight class, while for long range operations the AW139 will be able to fly over 500 nm with six passengers, a mission only larger more expensive 10-ton class helicopters can currently perform.

The offshore transport-configured AW139 ensures unparalleled passenger comfort on long range flights thanks to the roomiest unobstructed cabin in its class and airline type crashworthy seats. Up to 300 kg cab be carried in versatile baggage compartment. AgustaWestland has developed procedures which will unable the AW139 to operate at the increased MGW of 6,800 kg in Performance Class (PC1) and PC2e, as defined by the stringent European JAR OPS3 rules.

In order to respond to operators’ requirement to be able to operate in more and more challenging environments, AgustaWestland is in advanced stage of development of a FIPS (Full Ice Protection System), which will clear the aircraft to operate in icing as defined by EASA/FAR Part 29. In flight test campaign, involving flying behind and icing tanker and in natural icing, has been conducted with success during the Northern hemisphere winter season 2007/2008.

More than 350 AW139 helicopters have now been sold with over a third being for offshore transport operations. The AW139 is already performing offshore oil and gas transport services in Europe, North America, South America, Africa, Australasia and the Middle East.

AW139 - The Helicopter Of Choice For SAR Missions

As the best selling medium twin turbine engine helicopter in the world with over 350 units on order by approximately 100 customers in nearly 40 countries, the AW139 has become the helicopter of choice in the SAR market and has also had great success in the emergency medical services market. Selected by leading SAR operators worldwide, the AW139 is now in operational service with several customers including the Spanish Marine Safety Agency (Sasemar), the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency and Japan Coast Guard.

In March 2008 the Japan Coast Guard took delivery of its first three AW139 helicopters as the initial phase of a replacement programme for up to 24 helicopters. These helicopters will also operate from Coast Guard ships performing SAR duties. A month later three AW139s provided by CHC Helicopter Corporation entered service with the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency providing 24 hour SAR cover for much of the English Channel from two bases, then in May 2008 Sasemar ordered three additional AW139s bringing the total number ordered up to eight aircraft. Sasemar already have three aircraft in service performing SAR and water pollution detection missions.

In addition to these operators, a number of other customers have placed orders for SAR variants of the AW139 including the Korean Coast Guard, Italian Coast Guard, Estonian Border Guard, Norwegian Ministry of Justice and several customers in Africa and the Middle East.

The sole new generation helicopter in its class, the AW139 was designed to perform the most demanding SAR missions and has been described by its operators as the most advanced SAR helicopter in its class in service today. Typical equipment includes a dual rescue hoist for added redundancy, Forward Looking Infra Red (FLIR) camera, nose mounted weather/search radar, emergency flotation system, lightweight cabin mission console, searchlight, loudspeaker system and a four-axis digital automatic flight control system complete with SAR modes and search patterns. A full ice protection system is also under development for the AW139 which will allow the aircraft to fly into known icing conditions, further expanding the operational capabilities of the aircraft in the SAR role. The lightweight mission console in the cabin integrates the data from the sensors on a large colour liquid crystal display, providing the operator with all the data to manage the SAR mission.

The other key features of the AW139 that operators have identified as making it the best helicopter in its class are the cabin space and excellent performance. The AW139 cabin can accommodate up to 15 survivors and large sliding doors provide easy access both on the ground and during hoisting operations.

SAR variants of the AW139 will also benefit from work undertaken by AgustaWestland to certify the AW139 with a Maximum Gross Weight (MGW) of 6,800 kg, enabling the AW139 to target market requirements which today can be met only by larger more expensive helicopter types. The increased MGW option has been developed as a kit that will be available on all new production aircraft as well as for helicopters already in service with no airframe modifications. EASA certification of MGW increase is expected by the end of 2008 with FAA certification soon after.

Regards
Aser

spinwing
16th Jul 2008, 22:33
Mmmmmm ....

Straight out the brochure ....... we know all that !

What we would like is for Agusta to fix the silly little(?) things ...

:ooh:

bandit19
17th Jul 2008, 17:48
:eek:
Good luck with that one.

3D CAM
17th Jul 2008, 19:24
15 survivors?????
Yeah right!:=
3D

DanglyBob
18th Jul 2008, 18:37
Doesn't say Human survivors....

could be dwarves, or Oompah Loompahs...

:p

spinwing
19th Jul 2008, 00:21
Mmmmm ....

From a practical point of view 15 may well be possible ... maybe even more if you jam them in ...... no seats of course.... I do wonder though if the winch (electrics) would cope ????

Certainly the aircraft will fly the lot of them away!

:D :ok:

jeepys
19th Jul 2008, 09:02
If you see the cab of a SAR 139 it's very easy to see that even 15 dwarfs will not fit let alone standard height/size pax.

bandit19
19th Jul 2008, 11:06
I've had 10 casualties in the back. Looked like a clown car. It has the power to lift 30 pygmies piled to the ceiling though. :O

S.M.S
19th Jul 2008, 14:06
I've had 10 casualties in the back

:cool::cool::rolleyes::cool::cool:

xxxchopperpilot
20th Jul 2008, 03:03
Do any of you guys have any close up photos of the aircraft with its engine and gearbox cowlings removed, if so, please post. The aircraft looks good from the outside but i haven't seen whats inside it.

BellBoy796
20th Jul 2008, 14:17
You guys flying offshore, are your pax wearing the PFD's or are you leaving them in the under seat pocket. My company insists on us insisting the pax screw around with a four point seatbelt over top of a PFD. Crazy. I reckon that a Class 1, Cat. A aircraft ought to be fine with PFD's under the seat and I'd like some ammunition to back the argument.

Phone Wind
20th Jul 2008, 14:47
OK,

A Class 1, Cat. A aircraft from the very place where your profile says you're from crashed into the sea recently, probably not as the result of an engine failure. If the crash had actually been survivable, the passengers may well have drowned as a result of not wearing life jackets. Your Class 1, Cat. A aircraft loses its tail rotor 50 miles out over the Gulf at 1500 feet - how likely are the passengers to fare without lifejackets as you do your engine off landing on the sea and the floats quite possibly rupture? Your Class 1, Cat. A aircraft has a major problem with its main rotor system caused by a maintenance error as happened to a Bristow helicopter in Nigeria some years back - the only thing which saved the survivors was their life jackets. Need I go on? :ugh::ugh:

JimL
20th Jul 2008, 15:37
I totally agree with Phone Wind - and so, incidentally, do the OGP (the oil company representatives). There were no dissenters in the ICAO Committee when this was proposed (or from any other party when the amendment went out for comment) and it was subsequently incorporated at AL12.

ICAO Annex 6 Part III Chapter 4.5.2 a):"...For offshore operations the life jacket shall be worn constantly unless the occupant is wearing an integrated survival suit that includes the functionality of the life jacket"
We have probably lost more persons from drowning than any other single cause.

Jim

spinwing
21st Jul 2008, 00:04
Mmmmm....

BellBoy .... your efforts would be more professionally productive if you were arguing for those PFDs as used in the 139 to be made available to the 412 crews and pax instead of the rediculous waist pouches used ATM.

:ugh:

The standards need to be made higher not lower!

Aser
21st Jul 2008, 10:40

20 July 2008 - World Helicopter NEWS: Saudi Aramco (Aramco Associated Co.) took delivery of two new AW139s registered N914AH & N915AH.

http://www.ddd.dgualdo.it/n915ah/n915ah-pad-005-wall.jpg

What's that round protuberance in the nose where the tcas antennas are normally installed?

Regards
Aser

S.M.S
22nd Jul 2008, 00:48
Date: 21/07/2008
The Qatar Armed Forces Sign Contract For 18 AW139 Helicopters

AgustaWestland is pleased to announce that the Qatar Armed Forces has signed a contract for 18 AW139 medium twin helicopters. These aircraft will be operated by the Qatar Emiri Air Force supporting various government agencies to perform several roles including utility, troop transport, search and rescue, border patrol, special forces operations, law enforcement and homeland security. The contract value is in excess of €260 million and includes crews training and initial spares package. This contract marks the continued success of the AW139 in the Middle East market with over 100 units now sold in the region. This order increases the sales total to more than 370 helicopters ordered by over 100 customers in nearly 40 countries. Additionally, this order further expands the success of the military-configured AW139 in the market having already been ordered by the Irish Air Corps and the UAE Armed Forces. An Irish Air Corps’ AW139 helicopter was recently showcased in the AgustaWestland static display at Farnborough International Air Show 2008.

http://www.agustawestland.com/dinimg/AW646xsito.jpg
Giuseppe Orsi, CEO, AgustaWestland said “We are proud that the AW139 has been chosen by the Qatar Armed Forces as its new generation multi-role helicopter. The AW139’s excellent performance in hot and high operating conditions and its role versatility make it an ideal helicopter for government and military operations. The AW139 has quickly become the helicopter of choice in the medium twin class in the commercial market and we expect this model to achieve equal success in government and military markets."

The AW139 can be configured to carry 8 to 15 troops in its spacious eight cubic metre cabin. Large sliding cabin doors allow both troops and equipment to be loaded and unloaded quickly. The AW139 sets new standards for performance in its class with a maximum cruise speed of 165 knots (306 km/h) and a maximum range in excess of 570 nm (1060 km) with auxiliary fuel. The advanced integrated cockpit with state-of-the-art technology minimises pilot workload allowing the crew to concentrate on mission objectives. As the only new generation medium twin helicopter in production, the AW139 has rapidly become the best selling helicopter in the market. The AW139 is the only helicopter in its class to meet the latest safety and certification requirements and has been proven in a wide range of government roles including troop transport, utility, law enforcement, homeland security, search and rescue, medical evacuation, VIP and head of state transport.

:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

funderrc
22nd Jul 2008, 01:41
For some reason, Agusta decided that the bubble was necessary to cover the TCAS antenna on the long nose version. I asked why, but never did get an answer.

Both aircraft made the trip just fine. It took us three days and the flight time was 19:50.

4candals
22nd Jul 2008, 15:59
The TCAS antenna was originally on top and outside the nose cone.

As far as I know there were electrical contact issues every time the nose cone was opened and closed.
The nose cone can now be opened and closed without disturbance and the TCAS aerial remains pretty much in the same position.

4candals

ASV
24th Jul 2008, 05:24
WooooooooooW QATAR 18 AW139 !!! :D:D:D:D

noooby
25th Jul 2008, 07:11
About time they sorted out that forward TCAS antenna!
Does this mean the 2 year life on the TCAS Blindmate kit is also gone? Hope so!

Aser
30th Jul 2008, 09:16
Helicopters firm buying simulator
Published: Saturday, 26 July, 2008, 01:03 AM Doha Time
GULF Helicopters (GHC), a wholly-owned unit of Gulf International Services (GIS), is purchasing an AW 139 simulator to meet the requirement of training the pilots and engineers.
In this regard, the Qatari company entered into an agreement with the UK-based cueSim, a specialist simulation company serving customers worldwide providing a range of high quality, advanced simulation products and services.
A GIS spokesman in a statement to the Doha Securities Market said the delivery of the simulator is expected in 18 months. However, he did not furnish details regarding the cost of simulator.
“Gulf Helicopters will be the first helicopter operator in the world to procure an AW 139 simulator, in order to meet the requirement of training the pilots and engineers to comply with the highest safety standards in accordance with EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency),” the spokesman said.
Currently, GHC owns 26 helicopters - 16 Bell 412 class helicopters, six Bell 212 class helicopters, one Sikorsky S-92 helicopter, one Bell 230 helicopter, one Bell 206B helicopter and one AgustaWestland AW139 helicopter, according to initial public offering prospectus of GIS.
The GHC recently entered into an agreement with AgustaWestland to act as an authorised service centre for the latter in the Middle East region.

How many 139 do they have on order?

Regards
Aser

Ian Corrigible
30th Jul 2008, 12:43
Aser,

I/C

S.M.S
31st Jul 2008, 13:34
How many 139 do they have on order?

25....:ooh:

spinwing
31st Jul 2008, 22:30
Mmmmmm ....

Could it be .... that the proposed "performance 1" rules for offshore operations in the Arabian Gulf area are being taken seriously??? ... at last!

:eek:

:suspect:

tcvennen
3rd Aug 2008, 17:15
Any company require climbing up and uncowling the engines during preflight? When we were in Italy (2005) we were not permitted to uncowl anything (it was a maintenance function), and told there was no reason for the pilot to climb on top of the aircraft. The reason I ask, for the past 3 years I've preflighted the aircraft from the ground, never climbing on top, and never uncowling the engines. I was "turned in" for not preflighting correctly. One opinion was to check the engine oil level, ok, so should we also physically check the TGB/ IGB / MGB ? The FM calls for checking for leaks period, I can do that without uncowling. Any thoughts?

tcvennen
3rd Aug 2008, 17:30
We require passengers wear the PFD on all overwater flights.

RVDT
3rd Aug 2008, 17:46
tcvennen

Look up "maintenance on aircraft in the Transport Category."

outhouse
4th Aug 2008, 12:33
Just reading the couple of items re Pilots Ground Inspection for the 139, Not sure the direction it is going but the Flight Manual is clear regarding requirements, General FM guidance below.

GENERAL
The inspection commences at the nose and continues clockwise
around the helicopter. During the inspection, check that there are no
leaks from overboard drains, that all vents, air intakes, air outlets and
fire access points are clear of obstructions, and all access panels and
antennas are secure.

No mention of opening panels or generally climbing about on top indicated. The Engineers/Maintainer chaps have the responsibility for opening inspecting and closing, then clearing the TL. As we all know fluid levels and uplifts are noted in the TL. We then press the little test button on our PF to check levels, MGB ITB & TGB, So why would tcvennen be “turned in” for not doing a proper BF inspection. Assuming he was not acting as the Engineer/Maintainer and only doing the Pilot bit?

Do we really want to return to the stone age, walk to the aircraft with an assortment of screwdrivers, lug steps about take panels off, slide huge heavy cowlings back and fourth generally undo work already don and certified, for me no thanks. A time comes when you have to trust the Engineers to do there job.
:ok:

Aser
4th Aug 2008, 22:06
One day taking one 139 for a ferry flight I found an engine with oil level below minimum, from that day if I'm not in my base I always check engine bays. I don't care if it's been checked/signed.
Remember that you don't have CAS msg for engine oil.

heliski22
4th Aug 2008, 22:41
My Ground School class in Sesto C jooked when they saw the diagram, that the pilot stayed outside the oval line showing the various inspection points. My Instructor in Cascina C. recommended walking around and checking everything closed up and nothing leaking.

Doesn't seem to be much point in just walking around it and seeing that everything is closed and there are no stains on the floor. And, like Aser, if I had been doing just that, I wouldn't have found the gearbox oil leak which was throwing a very light film of oil on the TOP cowling that covers the exhausts.

So, for me it's the whole deal every time - getting to be quite the monkey now, skipping up and down steps and getting to check levels very quickly!

But then, I don't have the luxury/comfort of an engineer to do it for me.

Still a fine helicopter, though!!!

tottigol
5th Aug 2008, 00:02
I'll tell you what, those cowlings may appear closed and secure, however they may not be.
I care not what they say, if I have to step on the sponson to check for the cowling to be securely closed, I may as well open it and check the oil level and the deck for debris loose items.
Same applies to the sliding xmsn fairing.
They could have made an extra effort for a sight gage or a flap door similar to the 412's one.

outhouse
5th Aug 2008, 12:51
OK chaps, I stand corrected, a comfort factor is always welcome and experience douse tend to concentrate the mind.

noooby
5th Aug 2008, 23:10
Ok, here is a question for you all, and one that I don't have an answer for.
Why do we have microswitches and lights to tell us that cabin and cockpit doors are open, when those same doors usually have someone next to them to close them if they come open, and the opening of those doors will not usually significantly impair the flying of said helicopter, but we have absolutely NOTHING to warn of an open or unlatched cowling on most helicopters? Sure having passengers fall out of an open door, through the harness that is keeping them tied to the seat is important, but isn't keeping stray cowlings out of the main rotor also important? According to manufacturers, it obviously isn't important enough!
Just my 2 cents

noooby
5th Aug 2008, 23:20
Aser,

Was the engine recently shut down, or had it been shut down for a while? If the engine has been sitting, then the level is allowed to be below the green level. You would need to dry motor the engine to circulate the oil, and then read the sight gauge. If it is still in the red, then add some oil. Best not to run these engines with high oil levels though, if it is high it likes to vent it overboard.

Eng AW139
6th Aug 2008, 08:22
By Pratt & Whitney's maintenance manual a visual inspection must be carried out every 12 flight hours of both the oil level and the oil filter impending bypass indicator.

Normally your aircraft maintenance staff has written this into the AMS as a daily task (off shore we fly about 7 hours a day per aircraft). So there should be no need for the pilot's to open the engine cowlings after the inspection has been carried out.

If you have found the level low after a dry run then someone missed this item.

S.M.S
6th Aug 2008, 10:56
Hi funderrc

How is the AW139 air condition doing with the very high temperature in K.S.A I know its 40+!!!

funderrc
7th Aug 2008, 06:17
So far the A/C has been very impressive. It is August and that is the worse month for humidity in Saudi Arabia. We have been flying two aircraft here for the last 3 weeks and everyone is happy with it.

Aser
7th Aug 2008, 10:46
noooby thanks for the tip, I'll remember it next time out in the field without an engineer.

funderrc you have got a good machine, I used to get FAIL after 30 min. with air con or heater in one of the firsts 139.

tottigol
7th Aug 2008, 14:56
Concur with Aser, we seem to get consistent AFT A/C FAIL messages after 20 or so minutes of flight.
However that's mostly the case above 5500'.

raul duke
7th Aug 2008, 15:13
Buy the helicopter, :mad: load of spares,and a few extra tailbooms, hire 4 mechanics and you will still have your hands full.
Aside from that, flies nice (when flying) and loads of power.

Aser
8th Aug 2008, 09:51
Max-Viz Announces EVS-1500 Type Certificate installation on AW-139

Max Viz logoMax-Viz Inc. of Portland, Oregon announces the Type Certificate installation of their next generation EVS-1500 by AgustaWestland, Italy on their AW-139 helicopter.

Elliott Troutman, President of Max-Viz, states “the continued relationship between Max-Viz and AgustaWestland has proven to be mutually beneficial in providing a significant safety enhancement to their diverse customer base”. “The incorporation of our next generation, dual Field of View (FoV) EVS-1500 sensor will dramatically enhance both the safety and mission effectiveness of the AW-139 product line”. “EVS will enhance the safety of the diverse market segments being penetrated by the AW-139 and make it an ideal combination for offshore, firefighting, SAR, EMS, Corporate transport, and governmental operators”.

The Max-Viz EVS-1500 incorporates the latest in sensor image processing and active dynamic range management in an external housing identical to the previous generation EVS-1000. The addition of a second FoV provides for both a wide angle (53 degree) viewing aspect for enhanced maneuvering and enroute flight situational awareness while incorporating a narrow angle (30 degree) FoV through an integral optical zoom feature. The narrow FoV provides a significantly enhanced resolution which equates to a much better obstacle and hazard detection capability.

Max-Viz Home (http://www.max-viz.com) designs and markets the smallest, most reliable and affordable Enhanced Vision Systems for aircraft. The systems use real-time infrared sensors, signal processing, and a cockpit display to provide flight crews with actual images of terrain, runways, taxiways, aircraft and other potential obstacles much better than the naked eye during poor visibility conditions such as light fog, haze, smoke, brown / whiteout, light precipitation and darkness.

http://www.max-viz.com/12dec07/Home/IMAG012.JPG
http://www.max-viz.com/12dec07/Home/IMAG011.JPG

Regards
Aser

heliski22
8th Aug 2008, 13:17
Tottigol

Have you been able to have anything done about what's causing that AFT COND caption?

Eng AW139
8th Aug 2008, 13:30
The Agusta A/C test box, not the breakout box works really well for trouble shooting the system. Our OAT now is over 40 daily and this year we pre-seasoned the aircraft in May and tested and serviced the A/C systems.

We did find loose connections on the Hopper fans very bad crimping on the pins which caused intermittent problems inflight.

tottigol
8th Aug 2008, 18:30
Heliski, in short no.
It seems to lessen the frequency if not set all the way down in temperature.
One other thing is that the AFT system fails more often than the FWD, and turning it off for a while and then turning it back on resets it.
There seem to be a general complaint about it but not much being done to solve this problem.

As a thought, it may be due to the high relative humidity that we get in the Gulf of Mexico (freezing somewhere in the ducts?).

S.M.S
9th Aug 2008, 12:58
That sound good funderrc, let's see what the UAE driver think about there air cond since they have been using it for almost a year now!!! :)

Eng AW139
9th Aug 2008, 16:17
We are operating 7 AW139 for the UAE Air Force this year there has been very few problem as compared to last year. Like I said before we inspected all A/C systems and serviced them when the temperature started to climb above 35 degrees.

The post production problems such as bad connector and drive pulley's coming loose I think we have sorted them out.:D

S.M.S
9th Aug 2008, 17:00
Eng AW139, so the problem still there ??!!!:oh:

Eng AW139
10th Aug 2008, 01:22
So far this year all is good with the A/C.:ok:

S.M.S
10th Aug 2008, 13:50
So far this year all is good with the A/C.:ok:

:D:D:D:D
:)

heliski22
15th Aug 2008, 14:58
Anybody got anything on an oil leak from the MRGB, somewhere in the vicinity of the oil cooler, oil cooler fan, oil cooler fan drive shaft?

A very small volume of oil is getting blown out through the cooler fan exhaust duct (hence the focus on the fan and related bits) leaving a fine spray of oil out over the top cowling, spine cover and all the way back to the vertical stabiliser. Fan drive shaft seals already changed - twice!

Aser
23rd Aug 2008, 18:53
Norway: Lufttransport takes delivery of AW139 helicopter for EMS contract

AW139 of LufttransportSeen here in Italy prior to delivery, this brightly coloured AgustaWestland AW139 has now been delivered to Norwegian operator Lufttransport. Having previously operated a single AW139, Lufttransport ordered four AW139s in January 2008 after being awarded a new cotnract with the Norwegian State Air Ambulance.

THIS is HIGH visibility! :E
http://www.aviaphotos.it/foto/2002248.jpg

Regards
Aser

bandit19
24th Aug 2008, 17:11
Holy crap! That thing just about gave me a seizure.:eek:

hovering
25th Aug 2008, 17:00
This showed up on Ornge website (http://www.ornge.ca) today;
NEWS RELEASE
For Immediate Release
August 25, 2008
Ornge purchases new fleet of high performance medically equipped helicopters
Signals a new era in transport medicine for Ontario patients
TORONTO – Ornge, Canada’s leading innovator in the field of transport medicine announced today it is purchasing 10 new AgustaWestland helicopters to replace the current aging fleet of Sikorsky S-76 helicopters owned and operated by Canadian Helicopters Limited (CHL).
“When Ornge was appointed to take over operations of the air ambulance system in 2006, we immediately began looking at ways to improve the medical transport system and to make it more sustainable and efficient” said Dr. Chris Mazza, president and CEO of Ornge. “These new medically equipped helicopters are the most technologically advanced rotor wing aircraft in the industry today and Ontarians will benefit greatly and be proud to call them their own” he added.
The air ambulance program began operations in 1977 with a single helicopter at the Buttonville airport. The program has since grown to include 11 helicopters, 76 fixed wing aircraft operated under various service providers and 22 bases around the province, 9 of which are staffed 24/7. The current 11 helicopters are owned and operated by CHL but under exclusive contract to Ornge. Ornge provides the highly skilled and trained medical crews who provide the care to the patients in these helicopters.
As the existing contract with CHL expires in April 2009, Ornge is in the process of a Request for Information with Pricing for a rotor wing flight service provider.
“Ornge’s decision to purchase our own helicopters is an important step in fulfilling our commitment to provide Ontarians with a world-class medical transport capacity”, said Dr. Mazza. “This new business model will not only enable Ornge to contain the escalating costs associated with medical transports while replacing the current aging fleet, but more importantly it will also enable more patients to be transported while receiving the highest level of medical care they deserve,” he added. This move will enable Ornge to enhance and expand its services and programs for Ontario residents.
Ornge operates from a number of bases across the province and performs approximately 18,000 admissions annually. It coordinates all aspects of Ontario’s aero medical transport system, the new critical care land transport program, and the authorization of air and land ambulance transfers between hospitals. Ornge is dedicated to the provision of high quality patient care through innovative transport medicine.

Aser
17th Sep 2008, 12:15
Any one noticed the "5 MIN" (in white) legend in the blue side of the PFD just near the airspeed readout, I can't find references in the training manuals (2006) and we are not very often in the take off power range, but we have seen it a couple of times, after less than a minute in the yellow zone. :confused:

Regards
Aser

Geoffersincornwall
17th Sep 2008, 12:54
When PI limiting is enagaged as part of the 4-axis coupling there is a collective limit imposed accoding to PI. Max possible is 106% AEO (140% OEI)and at that point a '5 min' (2.5 min) symbol appears beside the collective inicator on the left of the PFD. See Supplement 40 for details.

G

Aser
3rd Oct 2008, 12:30
Collective limit indication

When PI limiting is enagaged as part of the 4-axis coupling there is a collective limit imposed accoding to PI. Max possible is 106% AEO (140% OEI)and at that point a '5 min' (2.5 min) symbol appears beside the collective inicator on the left of the PFD. See Supplement 40 for details.

G

Thanks, but it's only the 5min. , the 2.5min it's impossible as the maximum PI for coupled modes is 140%

Best regards.
Aser

hot 'n dusty
5th Oct 2008, 07:38
With regard the MGB oil leak in the vicinity of Air con compressor pack. change the lip seal in the MGB, ....they tend to start going at about 250 hours after installation

Aser
3rd Nov 2008, 21:50
http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/articlefiles/9140-1.jpg
Friday, October 31, 2008 / STARS

STARS unveiled the new high technology AgustaWestland – AW139 helicopter to the air medical community at the annual Air Medical Transport Conference (AMTC) in Minneapolis, Minnesota last week.

The highly anticipated new aircraft, which will fly further and faster than the current fleet of STARS BK117 helicopters, was on display in conjunction with developing partners AgustaWestland, LifePort Inc., Keystone Helicopters and Western Avionics as one of the most advanced rotary-wing air ambulances in the world. These helicopters have a specialized medical interior and with the help of STARS’ highly trained air medical crew, provide airborne intensive care to two critically ill and injured patients. The STARS crew consists of a flight nurse, paramedic and an emergency physician who provides medical advice and referral.

The new helicopter is one of two AW139 helicopters that STARS will utilize to service Alberta and parts of eastern British Columbia. The first aircraft will be based in Edmonton and is anticipated to be certified and accepted for mission service in the spring of 2009 with the second aircraft expected to be in service from Calgary by 2010. STARS will be the first organization in North America to utilize the AW139 in an emergency medical services role.

Each helicopter will be equipped with specialized medical interiors that are the first of their kind in the world due in part to an innovative stretcher loading system and ergonomic layout.

“These helicopters are funded by donations from the people of Alberta and will address critical patient care for the future, today,” said Dr. Greg Powell, President and CEO of STARS. “Providing a preview to fellow providers in the air medical community in Minneapolis was an opportunity to share information on innovation in patient care.”

The new helicopters were funded through a STARS’ provincial capital campaign called “Vision Critical.” Fundraising for the operational costs including pilot and crew training will continue this year, and through the 2009 STARS Lottery campaign.

Information on the arrival of the new aircraft in Canada will be made available pending Transport Canada certification.

STARS (the Alberta Shock Trauma Air Rescue Society) is a non-profit, charitable organization providing airborne intensive care to critically ill and injured patients. Patient care and transport, emergency medical communications, education and research, and fundraising and community partnerships are significant pillars of the STARS program. Since it began in 1985, STARS has flown more than 17,200 missions. For more information please visit STARS online at http://www.stars.ca/.

Vertical Daily News: STARS unveils new AW139 helicopter to air medical community (http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/templates/?a=9140&z=6)

Regards
Aser

heliski22
3rd Nov 2008, 22:46
Turned out to be a small leak in the matrix of the oil cooler itself. Easy Warranty fix, which can't be said of the task of cleaning all the little drops that squezzed in under the edges of cowlings and fairings all the way back to the top of the vertical stabiliser!!

Ah well, another job to while away the winter days!!!

FletchTheBone
15th Nov 2008, 18:34
Well, what a surprise just in the cruise at 155knts and the Pilot perspex window decided to divorce itself from the aircraft, thankfully not taking anything with it. Thought this was supposed to be fixed??:*

spinwing
16th Nov 2008, 02:13
Mmmmmm ....

I understand this also happened to a machine in the UAE very recently!

Perhaps the problem hasn't been fixed!

:uhoh:

Aser
16th Nov 2008, 09:09
You can check the last bulletin about the thing here:
Agusta Customer Service (http://customersupport.agusta.com/technical_advice.php)

And check if you helo has it done.

Regards
Aser

Aser
29th Nov 2008, 08:58
Just found this:

Supplement 50
Ïncreased gross weight 6800kg.

Requires kit P/N 4G0000F00111 , that I don´t know what is it.
And to record operation above 6400kg in the helicopter logbook.

Regards
Aser

heliski22
29th Nov 2008, 10:51
Yo Aser!!

The Kit is for a collection of bits required to allow the heli to operate up to 6800kgs. The information isn't available yet (the BT is still in Draft and we're not sure about parts) but the Kit includes replacement of both sets of Main Landing Gear, Tyres, a bell-crank in the TR control run and some adjustements to the TR control run itself.

Happily, many aircraft already have the MLG fitted as it was introduced on the production line at some point last year and so the upgrade will only require the tyres and the TR bits. Moreover, it seems only the heavier duty tyre will be in stock from now on so even that will become the standard across the fleet in short order, given the rate of wear.

As for the Logbook time, if you take off on a three-hour flight at 6700kgs, then, even though you will back to 6400kgs after 45mins (approx), ALL three hours must be recorded as being between 6400 and 6800kgs. No idea yet what the penalty will be from a maintenance perspective but it sure does help the Reserves!

How come the RFM Amendment came out before the BT or the Kit was available? No idea, but it seems to be right up there with the slightly chaotic pace at which the aircraft is getting off the production line with attendant difficulties for parts and/or service support which is struggling to keep up!

tophelios
3rd Dec 2008, 10:03
Hello,
2 questions for you, 139 specialists...:
- what about the 4 axis AP on the 139 ? is it already fitted ( I heard it's already on the japanese coast guards ) ? Are you, pilots and crews happy with ?
- what about the trans down and the automatic hover without a doppler ? I used to fly EC choppers, 4 axis and doppler for SAR mission, then , how efficient is it on the 139 ? How stable is the HLO in the hover, compared to a "doppler" hover?
Thanks for you reply
fly safe...:ok:

heliski22
3rd Dec 2008, 22:15
TH, the boys and girls on SAR machines will no doubt fill you in on their new kit.

Me? I just use the Autohover in the 4-axis to demonstrate to anyone interested that the last bastion of Manual Control has finally fallen. It used to be that only the SAR people had automation at anything approaching the hover and we regular drivers were still obliged to take control at the end and keep the aircraft motionless in the air with skill and aplomb!!

But not anymore!!! I wouldn't mind but the bugger makes quite a good fist of it even when well off the wind!!!

DOUBLE BOGEY
4th Dec 2008, 14:56
I have a client interested in the AB (AW139) for VIP charter use. Can anyone give me an unbiased rundown of the capabilities of the machine and known problems please.

Also is it certified for SPH operations IFR?

Appreciate an informed opinion. Thanking you all in advance

Aser
4th Dec 2008, 21:27
1- what about the 4 axis AP on the 139 ? is it already fitted ( I heard it's already on the japanese coast guards ) ? Are you, pilots and crews happy with ?
2- what about the trans down and the automatic hover without a doppler ? I used to fly EC choppers, 4 axis and doppler for SAR mission, then , how efficient is it on the 139 ? How stable is the HLO in the hover, compared to a "doppler" hover?

1: Yes, we are happy ;)
2: There is no Trans Down certified yet, nor I have experience with doppler, so I can't comment, sorry

Regards
Aser

tophelios
4th Dec 2008, 23:08
Thanks for reply, but does it means :
- the 4 axis is already fitted, but you're still waiting for certification ?
- how you perform the automatic night hover ? (if you perform..)For the winching on a ship at night, ok, but for a survivor at sea at night ????
- when is it supposed to be certified ?...
TQ
fly safe...:ok:

Aser
5th Dec 2008, 01:19
tophelios Thanks for reply, but does it means :
- the 4 axis is already fitted, but you're still waiting for certification ?
- how you perform the automatic night hover ? (if you perform..)For the winching on a ship at night, ok, but for a survivor at sea at night ????
- when is it supposed to be certified ?...
TQ
fly safe...

You are confusing 4axis and SAR flight director modes.

In a simple way:
The 4 axis means collective is driven by auto pilot, so we can engage autohover flight director mode, altitude capture, radio-height...

Trans down/up/mark over target etc. are flight director SAR modes that are in certification.

Anyway we can go from 60kts/500' (in example) to autohover just pressing the HOV button (if GS<IAS etc.), then you can use beep trim, force trim release or just push the controls to change height or movement.

when is it supposed to be certified the SAR modes ?... who knows...

Regards
Aser

spinwing
6th Dec 2008, 11:14
Has anybody heard of or experienced a Hydraulic lock-up of the collective lever .... the lever seems to lock in a fixed position .... no indications of abnormality shown on the synoptic page .... after a short time (with racing pulse rates) .... controls return to normal(?) and nothing can be found to point to a fault (thus engineering assume pilots did it on purpose to annoy 'em!).

Anybody????? :eek:

tottigol
6th Dec 2008, 12:15
Spin, we've just had an occurrence where the retaining ring of the collective removal pin was jamming against the sides of the fairing on the copilot side, thus jamming the collective control lever.
I can Email you pictures if needed.

Auto hover is only available in the advanced 4axis Supplement 34.

Eng AW139
7th Dec 2008, 00:50
I would like to see thoses photo's if possible.

Thanks

spinwing
7th Dec 2008, 08:30
Mmmm....

Yeah ... would be great to see the pics please ...

Cheers Spinny

Aser
7th Dec 2008, 14:30
Any info about this hoist?
Breeze? Goodrich ???
Photos: Agusta AB-139 (AW-139) Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ambulance-Service-of/Agusta-AB-139-(AW-139)/1419779/L/)
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/9/7/7/1419779.jpg

Regards
Aser

S.M.S
7th Dec 2008, 16:59
Breeze...:ok:

heema
7th Dec 2008, 17:52
Hi, flocks any idia on the speed limit for diploying the floats ather than the
80k on the ditching proseager in the RFM
thanks in advance:8

Aser
7th Dec 2008, 18:53
S.M.S. do you have the model number or any other info?
Looks like the standard breeze but with the hook we have in the Goodrich and maybe a look-down camera in the hoist ? because the shape it's different.

Regards
Aser

Driptray
7th Dec 2008, 20:37
It is the Goodrich Hoist.
Cheers

Geoffersincornwall
7th Dec 2008, 22:37
The 80 kts quoted has nothing to do with arming the floats. They should already be armed as soon as you cross the coast.

When OEI the speed should be reduced prior to ditching and 80 kts is recommended. Read the RFM with that in mind.

If you are one of those who disagrees with flying around with the floats 'armed' (as required by the RFM whenever over water) then be sure you document your revised procedure and have it approved by your local regulatory authority (CAA, DCA, ENAC, INAC et. etc.)

Otherwise should anything go wrong.......... keep the name of a very good lawyer on your cellphone.

G.

heli1
8th Dec 2008, 09:25
I see in another thread that the Portland SAR AW139 is back on station for night ops.Could someone explain the mods done to allow this ?

Aser
11th Dec 2008, 21:32
Sky Shuttle Helicopters Takes Delivery Of The 200th AW139
Vertical Daily News: Sky Shuttle Helicopters Takes Delivery Of The 200th AW139 (http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/templates/?a=9472&z=6)
http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/articlefiles/9472-1.jpg

Regards
Aser

Sax412
13th Dec 2008, 20:43
Also is it certified for SPH operations IFR?

What exactly will be your type mission?
Yes, it is SPH IFR certified,
Cheers,
Sax

leopold bloom
18th Dec 2008, 19:59
AGUSTAWESTLAND (http://www.agustawestland.com/communication_det.php?id_news=460&yy=2008):D

stillnoeyedear
19th Dec 2008, 06:09
Looking for advice and information share about problems with windscreen fogging in a tropical environment:

Mainly occurs after night IFR descent (7000'/20 deg C/high humidity) to MDA and landing. Usually the night ambient range at landing is around 24-30 deg C and 85-100% humidity, and we are getting fogging on the inside and/or outside. Our frame arrived with plastics after the problems with the heated glass fit.

We have had varying success with the following:

1. Leaving cabin door closed - a problem with outfield landings.

2. A/C off in cruise, and then heater on low during descent. Problem is the cockpit can get pretty warn, the aft cabin v.hot, and there is also the ambient temp limit to consider. Some times, just vents with high fan on produces adequate results.

3. Some variations on the theme above have also produced different results. If you leave the heater too late on descent, the moist ambient produces instant IMC on the inside, which can then be cleared by full A/C, but if you time that wrong, the windscreen cools and you get fogging on the outside!

The obvious answer is warm/dry air onto the screen to clear the inside (if required) and heated windscreen to keep the fogging off the outside during descent. We are still coming to grips with heater and A/C and can't seem to find ideal settings, and there may be a considerable time to wait for a heated windscreen fit.

Any operators out there having the same problems?

Do/did you have the heated glass and was it any good? What is the range of view - the wipers are useless and only good for forward viewing, ie no good for steep approaches/winching.

Any advice about the heater and A/C?

Appreciate any help/advice.

SNED

FletchTheBone
19th Dec 2008, 13:31
Cant really comment on humidity being in Ireland, but had remnents of icing on windscreens from freezing fog - the heated windscreens cleared it by the time I switched to flight mode :O I have to say was very good!!

Brilliant Stuff
19th Dec 2008, 21:29
They recommend WD40 to be wiped over the area you wish to keep clean. I am yet to try it on the bathroom mirror though. But it's worth a try.

3D CAM
20th Dec 2008, 10:49
We were told during the manufacurers course, not to apply anything to the windscreens as it could cause failure of the coating applied during manufacture!!:confused: And the wipers don't cause any damage then???:ugh:

Merry Chrimbo to you all.

3D

heliski22
21st Dec 2008, 21:36
As Fletch said, the heated glass screens are the ticket!! No worries about misting, no worries about wipers AND, with the weight of them, a bonus in shifting the CG just a little further forward!!

petrosmichael
22nd Dec 2008, 07:39
Hello there.
is anyone know where i can get the initial type rating for AW 139 and how much it cost?
thanks......:ok:

902Jon
22nd Dec 2008, 08:46
Suggest you pm Geoffersincornwall.
He conducts type & sim training on the AW139 in Italy.

heliski22
22nd Dec 2008, 10:17
Doing it in Sesto Calende, factor in 2 weeks ground School, 2 weeks in the Sim, plus 5 hours in the aircraft (for JAA), subsistence & travel costs plus pay while you're there and the whole lot will cost somebedy the far side of €50k, maybe nearer €60k.

Cheap it ain't!!!!

Geoffersincornwall
22nd Dec 2008, 18:33
Yes Heliski but where else in the world can you combine the delights of Italian cuisine with the trials and tribulations of a factory course.

No doubt you will be heading for the border tomorrow with the other half your population that didn't go shopping in the North today. The supermarkets are empty and you've bought all the booze....... what will the folk up there have with their Christmas dinner? Ah......... I forgot, there will always be an endless supply of the dark stuff on tap...... you lucky people.

Happy Christmas and safe flying in 2009 to all 139 drivers out there in the real world.

G

heliski22
23rd Dec 2008, 05:43
Geoffers, dear boy, I only said it wasn't cheap, I didn't say it wasn't good!!!!!!!!

Happy Christmas and good luck for the New Year!! Whatever else it brings, the current economic climate means we will at least be able to depend upon 2009 to bring a lot of changes to the world - not all good, perhaps, but changes nonetheless!

zalt
23rd Dec 2008, 16:52
CHC 139 had a return to base with a baggage bay fire warning today. False alarm.

Any more worth saying on the matter?

simfly
23rd Dec 2008, 17:10
There was a bit more than just a baggage bay fire warning on it, even if there was no fire.

zalt
23rd Dec 2008, 17:35
Give us a clue!

helimutt
23rd Dec 2008, 19:50
Nothing to see here, move along please, LOL,

Don't you just love the electrickery of the 139? Bet two particular guys don't love them much anymore.:ok:

Cuddles
23rd Dec 2008, 22:35
Think it's not the first CHC 139 baggage bay warning, but this latest one's a wee bit more erm, alarming than the earlier one.

THM
24th Dec 2008, 12:36
Heard that the Cyprus have ordered 2 AW139s yesterday, can anyone confirm ?
This would bring the total to 5 for the Cyprus government (3 for the national guard).

M_Pilot
24th Dec 2008, 12:47
hello there!

I am about to get a type on the 139. Anybody got some info somewhere i can read?

Thanks

HeloDrvr
24th Dec 2008, 16:48
We're a corporate operator adding a 139 to our operation.
Does anyone have experience with both versions (not the SAR extended long nose) who could shed some light on the real world differences?
Range is important and we would need to operate with the Aux. Fuel Cell.
Is CG the big concern? What about nose hi attitude during lgds and in a hover, and how's the visibility for off airport ops?
Someone put this in the bosses ear (not an aviator) and he's concerned. Is this an issue?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks and Merry X-Mas.

outhouse
25th Dec 2008, 06:49
HeloDrvr.
Try trawling through the whole thread, lots of gen and info. News on some of the problems developing with aircraft over about 1.500 hrs would be cool.

Tail boom delaminating, anyone received a new tail boom with the build changes and better quality control. How are they performing?

Any other issues re the boom would be cool.

Outhouse.:ok:

nutsiest
6th Jan 2009, 13:24
hello to everyone of the 139's community.

my question:

are vgp approaches possible on any waypoint in the database or are them possible only on non precision approaches published for a determined location??

how do you set them up on the FMS? (as far as vertical constrains shown on the right side of the mcdu screen..)

how do you shot them?

Thanks

chinook<NL>
6th Jan 2009, 14:25
Software..........
Bagage fire is just the warning.
But steps extended and cargo hoos armed on the cas when the system is not installed(or active)
Also the advisory landing light comes on.
Think honeywell should do something. 4.8 software is released to early maybe. found a few bugs in it.
Seen this malfunction now for the third time...

S.M.S
10th Jan 2009, 10:48
Folks what is the maximum height reported for the aw139 ? 10000' or 15000.......:(

pigi
10th Jan 2009, 11:29
Maximum height reported for the aw139 is:

http://www.spaghettifile.com/viewtrack.php?id=461711

Pigi

Geoffersincornwall
13th Jan 2009, 14:09
Supplement 50 to the RFM allows for increased AUM to 6800 kg BUT no operations from grass surfaces permitted over 6400 kg. CHC are operating from a grass strip at North Denes and there may be others in the same boat. I wonder what strategies are being hatched to take advantage of the extra lift capability yet avoiding the prospect of manoeuvring on the soft stuff. Take mission fuel at the first stop maybe, having left with one-stop fuel? Would be a shame not to boost the payload one way or another.

G

malabo
13th Jan 2009, 19:25
The increase in gross weight isn't an RFM update, it is a Supplement requiring a kit to be installed. Anybody know if CHC or any other operator has installed the kit to allow for using the higher gross?

Typical bizarro Italians with their Alice in Wonderland Limitations. "No operations on grass surfaces". I guess you can sprinkle down some gravel or horse-manure and be legal again. The 139 really is a helicopter, and just maybe, on very rare occasions, might have to land away from an airport. Grass, mud, wood decks, steel decks, snow, dirt, rock, sand...........

spinwing
13th Jan 2009, 20:38
Mmmmm ....

I believe the "Helicopters NewZealand/Australia" machines were delivered with the increased Gross weight kit installed.

:)

UCLogic
13th Jan 2009, 22:51
Be worth asking them if there are any other maintenance or life penalties if you operate it over 6400kg, I would expect this information to be somewhere other than the FM

Never ususally get anything for free, be interesting to know

tottigol
13th Jan 2009, 23:21
Malabo, I think that by "grassy surfaces" those pesky Italians meant "irregular" surfaces, since those surfaces can put further strain on the landing gear.
I also think that by operations they meant "ground taxi".
You can always lift straight to a hover.
Part of the supplement includes doublers to be installed to the MLG bogies.
Anyway, I have the supplement somewhere and I'll double check it.

Those pesky Italians.:*

spinwing
14th Jan 2009, 00:20
Mmmmm ....

I'm more concerned about changes to the CoG envelope if any?

:confused:

pigi
14th Jan 2009, 06:01
Tottigol wrote: ...Those pesky Italians.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/bah.gif

Why don't you fly Bell or Sikorsky?

Tottigol...Totti is one of the most famous italian football player and gol , in italian, sounds like goal!!!!
A pesky italian!!http://static.pprune.org/images/icons/laugh.gif

tophelios
14th Jan 2009, 06:20
And to add some questions to 139 specialists:
- after you pay for that upgrade (I heared about 500000 euros per chopper...), are you able to take off at 6800kg IGE in ISA+20 ? What about the weight in the hover
OGE in the same conditions?

Thanks a lot...

spinwing
14th Jan 2009, 07:39
Mmmmm ....

"are you able to take off at 6800kg IGE in ISA+20 ?"

YES ! what a machine eh?

tottigol
14th Jan 2009, 11:43
Another reason for the 6400Kg limitation from grass surfaces may be because of the wheel size and sinking.

Geoffersincornwall
14th Jan 2009, 13:35
C of G envelope - just continue the fore and aft lines up to 6800 and you have the revised envelope. (Make sure you are looking at the CG Envelope Rev 11 which moves the aft limit at 6400kg backwards to 5.504)

Performance at 6,800 Kg - OEI ROC 2.5 minute power

Sea level/40 deg C - 875 ft/min
2000 ft/30 deg C - 800 ft/min
5000 ft/20 deg C - 600 ft/min
8000 ft/10 deg C - 400 ft/min

G.

malabo
14th Jan 2009, 13:57
Tottigol
An RFM shouldn't be open to interpretation for the purpose of correcting an intent and shouldn't rely on "what they really mean is...". You Europeans like to swallow the whole RFM verbatim, and even us heretic Canadians feel obliged to be bound by the "Limitations" section. Surely Agusta can afford better translators than 8 year old illiterates. If they mean ground taxi operations on paved surfaces only, then say so. They are even welcome to cut and paste from this posting.

Geoffersincornwall,
2.5 min numbers aren't too helpful, kind of like max speed numbers. Do you have the ISA+15 OEI MCP climb numbers?

Geoffersincornwall
14th Jan 2009, 14:23
OEI Climb Performance at 6,800kg, OEI, MCP

SL/+30 deg C - 600 ft/min
2000 ft/+25 deg C - 560 ft/min
5000 ft/+20 deg C - 300 ft/min
8,000 ft/+15 deg C - 50 ft/min

As something of a student of Flight Manuals/ADs/SBs etc, I can observe that even when English speakers write manuals and Bulletins in their own blooming language they somehow manage from time to time to create a special form of Double-Dutch that confounds us all. The Agusta Manuals certainly have their moments and the comments about operating on grass at 6800kg is one of them. It's a fundemental flaw of manual writing that the bloke drafting it knows exactly what he's talking about - unfortunately the rest of us don't.

To be clear the limitation about taxiing on grass is contained in the section on 'Ground Speed Limitations' - but it does beg the question about planned rejects onto grass surfaces doesn't it?

Clear as mud - I'll seek further advice.

G

spinwing
14th Jan 2009, 19:56
Mmmm ....

Thanks guys .... sounds like a great improvement ....

:D

UCLogic
16th Jan 2009, 13:16
No reply so far to the question as to whether there are any other maintenance or life penalties if you operate it over 6400kg.

Does any one have any contacts that may know...GeoffersinCornwall any assistance with this?

There have been previous occasions like the HP 212 that put ultimate life and/or overhaul restrictions on components when used as in the increased power configuration. Such restrictions give serious thought to moving to or using increased power/weight configuratons

If I remember rightly there was a 139 limit in earlier post which intimated life limit reduction if winching was done, a bit misty on this and can't rememeber the details.

Geoffersincornwall
16th Jan 2009, 13:44
When operating above 6400kg (internal loads) the following Life Penalty Factor must be mandatorily applied to every flight (from take off to landing) any time the weight exceeds 6400kg during the flight.

To use the factor multiply the actual flight time (from take off to landing) by the stated factor. For example, the flight commenced at 6,500kg at 10.00 and landed one hour later at 11.00. The flight time was 1.0 hour and the factored time is 1 x 4.5 = 4.5 hours to be recorded on the component log card. Where landings are recorded multiply the number of landings by the stated factor.

Part Life Penalty Factor
Rod end (Fin End) 4.5
Rod End (Tailplane End) 4
Taliplane Assy 4
Main Rotor Blade Assy 2
Main Rotor Damper 2
MGB Case, Top Assy 1.6
MGB Upper Fitting 2 (landings)
Tail Rotor Hub Assy 1.25
Tail Rotor Shaft Drive Assy No. 2 2 (Landings)
Tail Rotor Shaft Drive Assy No. 3 2 (Landings)

For External Hoist Operations the same principle applies with the following Life Penalty Factors:-

Main Rotor Rotating Swashplate 0.5
MGB Shaft, Main Rotor Penalty deleted*

*Note that component lives penalised using the previous factor (2.5) can be recalculated using the formula,

present total accumulated life -2.5 x No. Accumulated External Hoist Lifts

Other Penalties are specified for Cat A Training Operations, starting and stopping the rotor in windspeeds greater than 27 kts and External Load Operations.

IMPORTANT NOTE - Guidance information only. This information has been extracted from an unmaintained copy of the schedules and CANNOT be used for maintenance purposes. Check with your Agusta Westland Rep for the latest information.

G.

UCLogic
16th Jan 2009, 16:26
Thanks for the outline

I am sure some bright spark will do the sums and tell us if the increased payload pays for the cost of overhaul/replacement parts. Not sure how much a blade costs nowadays but to effectively halve its life if you use the payload on a daily basis will be a significant number x 5 to put in the operating cost calculations

spinwing
28th Jan 2009, 21:03
Mmmm....

Good pic Griffo .... got any more?

:cool:

ab139heli
29th Jan 2009, 12:15
look like a Bell 214st with 5 blades

Aser
29th Jan 2009, 18:21
http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/articlefiles/9785-1.jpg

Monday, January 26, 2009 / AgustaWestland

AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, is pleased to announce that the Malaysian Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) has ordered two AW139 medium twin engine helicopters. These aircraft will be used to perform fire fighting, search and rescue, land reconnaissance and general support duties. The contract also includes conversion training for aircrew and maintenance staff which will be undertaken prior to delivery of the aircraft in the first half of 2010.
The Bomba order for the AW139 follows the order placed by the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency for three aircraft plus options in October 2008. The AW139s will supplement the two AgustaWestland AW109 Power helicopters that have been successfully operating with the Bomba since 2004.

The AW139, a new generation medium twin-turbine helicopter that has set new standards in the market, offers unmatched performance and safety levels and has the largest cabin in its class. State-of-the-art mission equipment and outstanding performance features enable the AW139 to accomplish the most demanding operations in the harshest weather and environmental conditions. Thanks to its powerful engines, each rated at 1252 kW (1679 shp) for take-off, the AW139 is perfectly suited to carry out demanding missions in the hot and high climatic conditions experienced in Malaysia.

This order marks further success for the AW139 in the fire fighting market with orders having already been placed by the Los Angeles City Fire Department and the Gangwon Fire Department of Korea. The order book for the AW139 has now passed 430 aircraft with orders from over 100 customers located in over 40 countries. Over 200 AW139s have now been delivered and are in service performing many applications including SAR, air ambulance, fire fighting, offshore transport, VIP/corporate transport, law enforcement, scheduled passenger transport and utility transport.

AgustaWestland Malaysia Sdn Bhd, a wholly owned subsidiary of AgustaWestland, continues to play a major role in the Malaysian helicopter market expanding its presence and increasing its market share. In 2008 AgustaWestland Malaysia Sdn Bhd opened a new regional maintenance and support centre located at Kuala Lumpur’s Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in 2008, aimed at supporting the increasing AgustaWestland fleet and keeping closer to the growing number of customers in the region.

Regards
Aser

Aser
29th Jan 2009, 19:29
I hope this is not against forum rules,
I've created a facebook group for the AW139
AW 139 | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=63651646576)

Regards
Aser

heliski22
29th Jan 2009, 20:52
Upgrade to 6800kgs

The big cost penalty comes for those who have to carry out the full requirements of BT139-140, including the MLG and brakes. Sometime during the early part of 2007 or maybe late 2006, the newer MLG required as part of the BT was included in production. Early ships don't have it, hence the high figures being bandied about.

If your ship has the MLG and brakes already on, then there's only the tyres, a bell-crank in the TR control run and some adjustments to the TR control rigging required to complete the upgrade at a probable cost of something like US$25,000.

As Geoffers already pointed out, the new CG envelope published in Rev 11 in conjunction with Supp 50 for ops up to 6800kgs, affords an advantage even at 6400kgs. We carry something close to 80kgs of junk in the boot (portable tow-bar, extra dinghy, etc.etc.) but if it's all placed on or beside the front row of seats in the cabin, even with only one crew, on a long ferry or crew-only positioning flight, we can now carry 1600kgs of gas at 6400kgs. This could allow 3.5hrs with a 30min VFR reserve - though why I'd want to stay up there that long is another matter entirely!!!!

griffothefog
30th Jan 2009, 03:35
These might be clearer...

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk50/marcusdoha/139jq2.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk50/marcusdoha/139jebelqawah.jpg

S.M.S
5th Feb 2009, 18:29
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Dorset | Winch fails in helicopter rescue (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/dorset/7680535.stm)

:ugh::ugh:

squib66
5th Feb 2009, 18:39
BBC Report from 20 October 2008

3D CAM
5th Feb 2009, 18:48
SMS
What's your point? This is old news.:confused:
3D

S.M.S
5th Feb 2009, 18:56
no point !!! :p

Aser
25th Feb 2009, 09:35
AgustaWestland and CAE partner to provide AW139 helicopter training in the United States - Vertical Online (http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/templates/?a=10170)

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - AgustaWestland

Today at the Heli-Expo show, AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, and CAE announced that AgustaWestland AW139 initial helicopter type rating and recurrent training is now available in Morristown, New Jersey, USA.

Regards
Aser

9Aplus
25th Feb 2009, 17:14
Copterline & AW 139 (two helicopters on Helsinki/Tallin line) :uhoh:

AW139 end of scheduled flights........
Copterline Ending Flights to Tallinn | News | YLE Uutiset | yle.fi (http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2008/12/copterline_ending_flights_to_tallinn_439970.html)

and now

Copterline (http://www.copterline.com/offline/index.htm?target=Main&action=)
whole site offline

Any local info? about AW139 performances in scheduled helicopter
airliner operation....

P2bleed
27th Feb 2009, 11:57
Is anyone aware of AW producing any sofware to assit in the cycle counts when operating above 6.4T
Thanks

Aser
2nd Mar 2009, 16:46
RTÉ News: Door falls off Minister's helicopter (http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0302/cullenm.html)

Door falls off Minister's helicopter
Monday, 2 March 2009 17:26

A helicopter carrying Minister for Tourism Martin Cullen was forced to make an emergency landing in Killarney this afternoon.

Mr Cullen had just finished addressing the annual conference of the Irish Hotels Federation and the Air Corps AW 139 had taken off from the grounds of the Malton Hotel in Killarney.

The left door of the helicopter fell off at a height of 150 metres as it flew over Killarney National Park in Castlerosse.
Advertisement

The helicopter made an emergency landing nearby at Killarney Golf and Fishing Club.

No one was injured in the incident.

Witnesses say Mr Cullen, who was flying with an assistant and a crew of three, was shaken following the incident.

He has since continued his journey by road to Kerry Airport from where he was due to get a flight back to Dublin.

The Defence Forces said in a statement that the aircraft is on the ground until a Military Airworthiness Inspection Team and technicians from Air Corps HQ examine it.

This team will fly to Kerry to assess the helicopter and it will be moved after the inspection.

The passengers had boarded the helicopter through the right-hand side door before take off.

The same helicopter brought Minister Cullen from Waterford to Killarney this morning and was returning to Dublin when the incident occurred.

According to the Defence Forces, the AW 139 can fly with doors open under certain speeds, but this is normally in military and winching roles.

Not the first time a cabin door fly off if you forget to lock the door...
But may be it was just a window... ?

Regards
Aser

9Aplus
2nd Mar 2009, 18:02
Yep, it was window bulletin issue
Now will be door too :D

it seems that minister boarding was on left and right one fell, not just lock issue....:}

SASless
2nd Mar 2009, 18:17
What's Par for that hole?

tottigol
2nd Mar 2009, 20:08
Must have been one of those Polish built fuselages.:E

9Aplus
3rd Mar 2009, 07:43
Wrong :=

Doors and hatches Made in Italy

Eng AW139
3rd Mar 2009, 08:56
I wonder if BT 139-118 was carried out?

PatMcgroin
16th Mar 2009, 06:42
You may want to check with your maintenance department and see if your fleet has a problem like this with the starter / Gen, we have it in more than one aircraft. It is a possible fire hazard. I suspect Agusta will notify users regarding this soon.

We are preparing the repair Scheme. Please ship back to AW the removed parts (the Grounding Bracket + the Bonding Block + the Bonding Cable + the DC Transformer)for further investigation.

Grounding Cable Installation inspection and a continuity check on the whole assembly is requested.
Please refer to the drawings already provided by XXXX and check for continuity between the logeron and point GS301 and then from GS301 and the starter generator.
We request just an additional check:
Before the first flight perform a test engine start with the baggage compartment open and the baggage compartment liner removed in order to inspect the bonding plate for electrical arches.

If continuity check is succesfully performed and no arches are visually detected during the test engine start restore the baggage compartment liner and consider the A/C flyable.

9Aplus
16th Mar 2009, 07:42
Vauuuuu

smoke signaling.......
:bored:
it is time to call
spaghetti western horse calvary

Sandy Toad
17th Mar 2009, 06:02
Geoff I think this thread is a better place to respond than the S92 crash one.
Are you speaking different kind of English? Well maybe you've a bit of an Italian accent now!
We've both been around long enough to know aircraft (and not just helicopters) are full of "mistakes".
Design Engineers make mistakes. Genuine mis-thinks; not understanding what pilots and aircraft may be required to do; not thinking through subsequent problems from initial failures. The S-76A was a classic on several issues. Airbus computer Logic for a fly-by another.
Third Party Suppliers make mistakes. Misinterpreting design documents, saving time/money without realising consequences. Thinking they know better than Designers. Not applying QA procedures.
Production Personnel make mistakes. Looking inside any aircraft torn down for a major check shows many "unique" features. Also think B407 and early FADEC wiring issues all down to one line worker.
Yes Quality Control should catch all these, but they don't.

More specifically 139 floats. Yes of course they are designed not to inflate in the cruise. Yes so far that is the case, the only reported uncommanded inflations appear to be a specific aircraft problem. (Production Mistake as above?) The 139 CFIT - don't think floats would have made any difference one way or another. But I will give you a 0-1 score right now , not a full time score yet tho! I really hope nobody ever has to even the score with a float inflation at 155kts or so...

Even you say in Post #453 "So f***ed up avionics is not just an Italian/US thing then??"
I think all 139 Drivers have had "Why the heck has it done that?" or "Control, Alt, Delete" moments. I'm not sure why any one system should be immune.

If the Float system is so reliable perhaps we can do away with the Arming Switch entirely and it is routinely live whenever flying, taking away the necessity to arm on becoming feet wet....

The reality is, aircraft are not built the way they are designed; components are not totally reliable nor do they always last to TBO. If everything always performed as advertised we wouldn't need your talents in the sim! I'll read what is written on the tin but not necessarily believe it.

How do I personally use the floats...... Well having now been seduced by New Jersey Simulator I'm not sure I'll be back to Italy for you to find out....:}

Geoffersincornwall
17th Mar 2009, 07:00
I don't think I can take issue with anything you have just said....... and not telling me about how you personally use the FLOATS leaves me guessing.

That said however yours is a very weak argument if it is designed simply to justify doing anything you want to do ......... more of an excuse for doing it that way rather than a serious analysis of the statistics and the balance of probabilities.

If your Company SOPs support the RFM then you are taking the classic
'I'll do it my way, because i know best' attitude that may lead to tensions withing the cockpit and all that goes with life in a poor CRM environment. Of course I know that you are NOT that kind of domineering old fart who has always got a good reason for ignoring the SOPs but we can both point out those that may fit that description.

As to which of our fine instruments of torture you choose please bear in mind that a stale bagel will never compare with a fresh ciabatta pannini overflowing with parma ham, steak and chips you can get anywhere but a delicate risotto porcini will prove a healthier choice and a course a cold 'Bud' cannot compare with a chilled Pinot Grigio drom Alto Adige.

G.

Eko
17th Mar 2009, 13:23
Yes, 9Aplus...Copterline cancelled those flights.

Not enough passengers, especially from the Estonian side. The November/December was better but they decided to quit. The company is concentrating now to hems operations with their EC135s in Finland.

AW139s are waiting to be leased/sold out, I believe. Need for those?...

Greetings to Geoff from the Arctic Circle!

It was nice with 139, but you will never know your future. I'll be back to the (EC135 this time- not anymore 412 ;)..) sim box 'cause 135 pilots need IR(H)+nvg basic training in Finland.

Brg -Esa

9Aplus
17th Mar 2009, 20:59
"AW139s are waiting to be leased/sold out, I believe. Need for those?..."

If the offer is right, who knows..... send me PM pls.....;)

heliski22
18th Mar 2009, 17:04
6800kg Upgrade

Harking back a little to earlier posts about the 6800kg Upgrade, does any operator plan to do it, or does anyone know of any operator planning to do it??

Aser
18th Mar 2009, 18:38
heliski22,
We have got a couple of 139s flying at 6800kg here...

Regards
Aser

heliski22
18th Mar 2009, 19:33
Thanks, Aser! Check your PMs, please!

S.M.S
18th Mar 2009, 19:37
Aser let us know what do you think about the 6.8 please ???

outhouse
19th Mar 2009, 13:33
Hi experts, info on indications re single MGB lubrication pump failure needed. Have contacted Augusta but would like the street wise users view.
Outhouse.
:8

Geoffersincornwall
19th Mar 2009, 17:36
The AW 139 MGB was subjected to a dry run test for at least 30 mins - and passed.

The oil pumps are installed in opposite sides of the MGB but are both driven by the same (main crown gear) wheel - if that stops rotating then oil is the least of your worries.

Yes there is a single filter/cooler but if you are concerned about leaks I guess the logic is that any leak anywhere will empty the MGB of oil so no fuss about redundancy there.

The MGB has been designed as a development of the A129/EH101 style gearbox with all oilways internally cast. Clever chaps these Italians.

Loss of one pump will result in a drop in pressure but no RFM references made to this - don't know why but suffice it to say that one pump will do the job OK.

G

9Aplus
19th Mar 2009, 18:03
Must agree with Geoffers on 139 MGB.
MGB production line in Cascina Costa really impress me.
One MGB was on dry run test during my visit, did not wait long enough to see outcome....
Who the hell care about arcing , smoke signals or falling doors, to be honest
MBG is The right one. :ok:

Variable Load
21st Mar 2009, 14:40
Noted on a different thread is a cross wind limitation of 17 kts. Can anyone give an explanation of why the limit is so low? It does sound restrictive, certainly for locations away from the tropics.

It seems odd given the aircrafts great power margins. Agusta products are normally quite good in this are as well. I seem to recall flying sideways in an A109E at 50 knots - with Double Bogey at the controls :eek:

VL

Geoffersincornwall
21st Mar 2009, 14:59
Crosswind and tail wind limits 45 kts unless you are operating at around 10,000 feet and above. Checkout the Cat B WAT curves in the RFM/QRH
G

Variable Load
21st Mar 2009, 15:01
Geoffers,

I don't have access to the latest RFM. My copy is about three years out of date!!

Simply quoting JimL, perhaps he is mistaken :confused:

Could it be a CAT A limitation?

VL

Geoffersincornwall
21st Mar 2009, 15:18
Cat A crosswind limit is 10 knots but the rig take off technique may feature that number (17 kts) - we are at the end of the food chain here so don't have a copy of the offshore profiles yet.

G

Variable Load
21st Mar 2009, 15:32
Cat A crosswind limit is 10 knots

Ouch :eek:. That must effectively limit the aircraft to CAT B. Yet it's power margins are so good?

Is it simply a case of AW not getting their finger out and expanding the envelope as much as possible.

My impression of AW a few years ago was far from impressive. Limitations like this simply re-inforces that! However I want to believe that the have gotten better.....

VL

JimL
21st Mar 2009, 15:39
As with all new aircraft there is a list of things that are still to be done - this is one that's in the pipeline. It is only recently that the S92 had this limit lifted.

Jim

bpaggi
21st Mar 2009, 17:15
Crosswind limitations for Offshore Operations, both in PC2e and Cat A, is 20 kts as maximum lateral wind component (90° right and left).
PC2e is already available and Cat A will be certified before year's end.

So far we had very little complain about crosswind limitations in Cat A operations at 10 kts.

My impression of AW a few years ago was far from impressive. Limitations like this simply re-inforces that!

The AW139 is much more than that, I hope you'll appreciate that.

Variable Load
21st Mar 2009, 17:30
Crosswind limitations for Offshore Operations, both in PC2e and Cat A, is 20 kts as maximum lateral wind component (90° right and left).
PC2e is already available and Cat A will be certified before year's end.

So far we had very little complain about crosswind limitations in Cat A operations at 10 kts.

Sorry pbaggi, that simply does not make sense. For a start do you really have Cat A offshore! Either the onshore Cat A is 20 kts or it is 10 kts. Also "not many complaints" does not mean it is not an issue! I did not intend this to become a list of complaints about the aircraft or AW. If you want to turn it into one I can head back to my old files and maybe dish the dirt :mad:

Geoffersincornwall
21st Mar 2009, 18:23
.....I think a little something is getting lost in the translation. The Cat A crosswind limit of 10 knts refers to the original CAT A clearance obtained for no less than 4 take off profiles made available to you guys - the customers - as of initial deliveries. That's more profiles (and therefore more options) than any other helicopter I know of. Naturally the envelope is capable of expansion but with so many things on the go and a lack of pressure from the largely non-Cat A operating world (and no perceived lack of satisfaction from those that have come in from the cold - and work to Cat A) other priorities have prevailed.

I think I am right in saying that due to a lack of first hand offshore experience in the AW set-up they imagined that the Cat A vertical Helipad profile would be ideal for offshore, however, it wasn't. This had to be revisited and as you hear is about to hit the streets. Obviously the revised procedure has achieved a wider crosswind capability but I guess it's only valid for the offshore profile.

BPaggi is right, AW are emerging as an extremely innovative and capable bunch of designers and engineers. Do they get everything right? No. Will they fix it if it's wrong? Yes. And this is just the beginning I feel.

By the way I don't work for AW - I just have the pleasure (not as often as I would like) of getting my hands on the only machine that leaves an irrepressible smile on my face instead of a stiff back (S76), a sore bum (S61), tinitus (S76A+) and a longing for terra firma (anything Russian). The AW139. I had that pleasure yesterday so I am motivated to sing that song a little louder today.

G:)

edited for grammar

RedWhite&Blue
21st Mar 2009, 19:01
Geoffers. The AW139 is a fine helicopter. But to say you don't get a sore bum in it only means you have better than the original seats, or you don't get to fly it for very long at a time!
The original seats are truly shocking. A real pain in the bum.:{
I conseed you may have rather more natural padding than myself, but thats a whole different story:p
Red

Geoffersincornwall
21st Mar 2009, 19:20
Ref, padding and time on task - right on both counts.

If you buy cheap you get cheap and we have all been victims of that version of the economic puzzle chosen by those on the western side of the NS. Those £20,000 a go seats that the Norwegians chose for their S61's were a blessing.

May I suggest that a little more pasta in your diet may solve the padding issue. Try a little gentle exercise in between flights and spend less time in that Ercol recliner in front of the TV.

That advice sounds so good I might even take it myself.

Trust you are well.

G

spinwing
26th Mar 2009, 21:17
Mmmm ....

I believe the 2 "Helicopters NZ" machines in NW Australia do ??

Stand to be corrected if otherwise ... as per usual!