PDA

View Full Version : B.A HANGAR TO CLOSE

test ok
5th Sep 2001, 18:37
JUST HAD A BREIF FROM THE MANAGEMENT ----
B.A MANCHESTER HANGAR IS TO CLOSE BY THE END OF FEB 2002
APPROX 158 TO GO APPROX 120 ENGINEERS,
THE RAMP OPERATION WILL BE SCALED DOWN TO ONLY 40 PEOPLE. NO A/C TO BE BASED AT MAN ?
CABIN CREW AND FLIGHT DECK NEXT ???

[ 05 September 2001: Message edited by: test ok ]

Vinegar Strokes
5th Sep 2001, 20:00
I have deleted the post that appeared here.

I (rather stupidly) forgot that I was still logged in on a PC that is available for use by others. One of these others thought it would be amusing to post under my name.

I hope I deleted it before it caused offence.

I shall be 're-educating' the person concerned.

[ 05 September 2001: Message edited by: Vinegar Strokes ]

exeng
5th Sep 2001, 22:21
Test ok,

I've just had it confirmed from one of your colleagues.

He stated that 120 are to go out of a total of the 158 currently employed. They are to go by March. It is to be voluntary redundancy and possibly re-location.

He was also told that 200 engineers are to go at LGW with the closure of two hangars.

A sad day for all.

Regards
Exeng

SFly
6th Sep 2001, 00:43
It is quite a large facility -- who do you think is going to buy the hangar now that the opportunity is there?

After all, this could be a very good step for a company to take; opening a maintainance facility at that site at a large airport like that --- FLS can't do it all themselves can they!

SFly ;)

snooky
6th Sep 2001, 12:58
Rod made drastic cutbacks in engineering when at Ansett, causing lots of problems later.
Look what's happening there now. http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=006806

Slacknuts
6th Sep 2001, 13:15
Prospective buyer apparently in discussions with BA at the moment.
Anybody know who ? Airtours, JMC,
Air 2000 ???

ducksoup
6th Sep 2001, 13:18
Nah, more than likely to be BACE, obvious really, innit?

Bus429
6th Sep 2001, 15:03
As well as the sad loss of jobs, one has to wonder about BA's future provisions for aircraft maintenance. Of more immediate concern is the morale of those told they are on the way out. While none would be tempted to do anything stupid or illegal, they are sure to be distracted. It is only human to ponder the future.
The figures don't add up. The industry is very short of engineers world-wide and there has been much trade related discussion about this. For the sake of short-termism, BA (and maybe Britannia) are going to divest themselves of the one resource they will find hard to replace. This will only drive the aircraft to "maintenance providers"in the Far East where standards may not be as high as we expect here. Labour costs in the Far East are lower, but at what long term cost?
It is time the government started asking awkward questions of BA. Hard to justify the job losses compared with the millions spent on up-grading the Concorde fleet (to be considered apart from the necessary modifications after the dreadful crash in Paris last year).

I sincerely hope that all those who lose their jobs, from all sectors of BA, are successful in finding other employment. :mad:

Human Factor
7th Sep 2001, 01:10
When the BHX hangar closed two years ago, a lot of our engineers were encouraged to transfer to MAN. None did .......

Onan
7th Sep 2001, 23:00
Boy your national carrier does seem to have it in for the North West of England. It is always sad when people lose their livelyhood. We must also remember that we all live in a capitalist system and as a result our employers will seek to maximize profit at, practically, any cost. They, the lay-off victims, are as the American military and Timothy MacVie would say "Collateral Damage".. Sad but true. :(

[ 07 September 2001: Message edited by: Onan ]

Blacksheep
7th Sep 2001, 23:13
Look on the bright side Bus429. (Or may I call you Data?)

Us temporary "asians" can bid for a bite of the action using our JAR145 approval and shiny new second hangar eh? Something I've been warning about in the Engineers and Technicians forum for some time now...

Sod the cinema this month, I'm on leave so I'm off for a pint...

[ 07 September 2001: Message edited by: Blacksheep ]

beardy
7th Sep 2001, 23:56
Well bus429 you will be safe, it looks as though JMC sorry Thomas Cook sorry C&N or should it be Lufthansa have offered for the site. But what will happen to the lost city of Caledonious at LGW?