PDA

View Full Version : Want to fly a Tiger Moth?

NavEx
11th Jan 2010, 12:14
The de Havilland Educational Trust is offering scholarships to learn to fly the Tiger Moth.

If you want to broaden your flying and would like to convert onto the iconic biplane trainer this could be for you. They are offering 10hrs of instrction at Cambridge Flying Group, open to current PPL holders.

Details are on the bottom of the dhmothclub website, keep scrolling down to the very bottom.

For the price of a stamp and a bit of thought you could be sampling the delights of the Tiger Moth this summer.

CapCon
11th Jan 2010, 14:17
Thanks for sharing NavEx. What a great opportunity!

javelin
11th Jan 2010, 14:49
Delights of the Tiger Moth..............

OK, I'm stuck there, what are they ?

Cold, draughty, handles like a typical 'British' design :sad:

Torque Tonight
11th Jan 2010, 15:36
Feel free not to apply then. I'm sure most people would bite their arms off for such a generous opportunity.

effortless
11th Jan 2010, 15:55
Ah Javelin, the nearest you will ever come to flapping your arms and flying my son.

SFCC
11th Jan 2010, 18:42
I think you'll find that Javelin has flown one. A few times.
I think they're crap too:}

JW411
11th Jan 2010, 19:17
It actually seems to be quite fashionable to knock the Tiger.

I did my PPL on Tiger Moths in 1958 and I loved every minute of it AND I would happily do it all again.

It would be fair to say that it was a complete slouch as compared to the Piston Provost, DH Vampire etc and everything else that followed in my life.

However, I suspect that those who criticise the Tiger have probably spent some time in such as the Extra 300 etc that are now freely available (but at considerable expense) all over the UK.

It would be interesting to see how they could cope with doing a display with only a Gipsy Major giving the ooomph.

It has often been said that the Tiger Moth was the easiest aeroplane in the world to fly BUT (and it was a very big BUT) it was the most difficult aircraft in the world to fly PROPERLY.

bingofuel
11th Jan 2010, 19:24
I couldn't agree more with JW411. I have only flown (or tried to fly) a Tiger moth a couple of times and yes it flies itself, but when you try to fly it accurately..........well I felt like a new student each time!

Miserlou
12th Jan 2010, 08:40
It very much depends on who you are and what you are comparing regarding the Tiger. Ooops, Dev would curse me for calling it that.

As a romantic image of vintage aviation it scores most highly.
As a trainer, again, top scores, both for ease of repair and exhibition of the handling traits with which a student pilot needs to be able to deal.

But what do you compare it with?
Well, the Stampe and Jungmann are a joy but even they are are few years younger, the start of a new era perhaps.

Comparing it with the more modern aeroplanes, perhaps the Cessna which is now the primary training aeroplane, and the fact is the Tiger still requires more skill.
What I hate is to hear people who haven't flown one slamming it. Or those who haven't flown it enough. Easier to criticize it than to admit that you can't handle it.

And for all that, the noise, drafts, cold and handling, we still love it! We wouldn't have it any other way.

hatzflyer
12th Jan 2010, 13:21
They are like Marmite. Personally I wouldn't want one any more than I would want an Austin 7 as a company car!

toomanyloops
21st Jan 2010, 23:46
Lots of hours on Tiger moths mostly instructing iconic it may be but no way is it A nice aeroplane to fly

kevmusic
22nd Jan 2010, 00:33
Lots of hours on Tiger moths mostly instructing iconic it may be but no way is it A nice aeroplane to fly

Uuhm....okaaay, over to you, FlyByWife.....:}

javelin
22nd Jan 2010, 02:47
No - his post was spot on :ok:

Arclite01
22nd Jan 2010, 07:29
It's 10 hours of subsidised flying - it gets my vote, as someone who has a humungous flying bill some months I would willingly accept cold and draughty, iconic flying.

Arc

toomanyloops
22nd Jan 2010, 16:10
Hey kevmusic how many hours on Tiger Moths have you

kevmusic
22nd Jan 2010, 19:00
That wasn't me, it was the demon drink! I had been engaging in a bit of banter with the official PPRuNe spelling and grammar police in another thread and, tired and emotional as I was, brought the spirit of it over into this one, thus to make inappropriate comments.

Aplogies to all, therefore, for contributing nothing to the thread, and to tml for casting nasturtiums on his good name. :)

Back to topic, and as tml has correctly divined, I have no P1 time on Tigers but let it be said, I would very much like to! And I intend to asap with the Tiger Club, who accord them the proper reverence.

toomanyloops
22nd Jan 2010, 19:21
Apology accepted get a good set of thermal undies hope you enjoy flying a Moth, the first 100 hrs aint so bad but eventually its nice to stop banging your head on the wall

Subhuman
11th Feb 2010, 09:05
I have around 100P1 on Stampes and find them one of the easiest aircraft I've ever flown (except the last 30seconds ;)) - is the Tiger really that different? I find the Stampe very balanced, predictable - everything you would want...

'Chuffer' Dandridge
11th Feb 2010, 12:49
is the Tiger really that different?

Errrr, just a bit. The Stampe SV4 corrected all the things that Mr De Hav got wrong.. Fly a Bucker Jungmann and that corrects all the things Jean Stampe got wrong (not a lot!)

The Tiger Moth is good to fly just to remind yourself how aerodynamically bad it really is. Even the windscreens are too small. No wonder the Canadians put a canopy & heater on them..

But what a fantastic trainer the Tiger Moth is. It takes skill to fly it well, but anyone can fly it badly.

flightlevel1985
25th Feb 2010, 20:00
So has anyone applied then?

Just trying to eye up the competition :suspect: lol

Genghis the Engineer
26th Feb 2010, 10:16
Would you believe anybody who said no?

G

hatzflyer
26th Feb 2010, 10:45
no

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx