PDA

View Full Version : Insurance to Fly GA in USA

7of9
7th Jan 2010, 00:16
I am near the end of my PPL training & hope to have my licence by the end of February.
In May i am having a two week holiday in USA & will be near Capitol airport Springfield Illinois KSPI
I wish to do a bit of local leisure flying while out there in a 172, I had a look on this site;

Rent an Aircraft (http://www.mcclellandaviation.com/rent_an_aircraft.htm)

& these guys rent aircraft but stipulate that i would need "Renters" insurance....
I tried to get quote for maybe a months insurance of the AOPA site & it wouldn't give me any insurance for less that one complete year.
Is this normal or it this company that is renting just covering it's self over an above it's own insurance??
The quote i got was for $216.00 which seems a lot for maybe 5 hours & less that 10 hours flying i "Might" do while there.

Any advice or help grateful thanks.

Trev:ok::ok:

Katamarino
7th Jan 2010, 09:02
I would definitely recommend renters insurance - without it, you could be very badly stung in the event of an accident, both for 3rd party liability and for the hull deductible. I have bought this insurance a few times, and have not found anywhere that will offer it for less than a year, although some will give a 50% refund if you cancel before 6 months after the policy starts.

You'll also need an FAA license to fly an N-Reg aircraft over there without an instructor - have you looked into the process of converting your JAA license, or do you already have an FAA one?

If you're only doing 5 hours, its probably a lot easier just to have an instructor on board and not worry about the insurance or license! You'll probably take at least 2 hours just to do the rental checkout, what with the new airspace and rules, and the new license.

7of9
7th Jan 2010, 09:31
Thanks for the replies.
I want to take my hosts flying around the local area & as i do go to USA for my holidays every year, & sometime have a week in Florida i want to be able to fly myself while in USA, not any great distance just local to where i am stopping at the time.
I will be getting the FAA equivalent of my licence when i have it through the CAA.

This first time will be the most expensive it seems but will be doing it.

Any more advice or tip welcome thanks.

Cheers Trev

172driver
7th Jan 2010, 11:51
As SoCal has already stated, you can get insurance (IIRC it's technically called 'non-owned aircraft insurance') if you have any address in the US. That can (or at least could) be a friend's. I have used AVEMCO in the past, Google them. This will cover you for hull deductible and third party. Advisable.

7of9
7th Jan 2010, 11:59
Thanks, I do have an address in the US to use which is my Friends where we stop near Springfield Illinois. It's him & his family i would like to take flying around local plus i want to fly there myself anyway while on vacation.

Thanks again as am new to this & want to set it up before i go & know what my money outlay will be before i can fly without an instructor.

Cheers Trev

JimCrawford
7th Jan 2010, 15:43
Take out insurance if you are going to rent out as PIC, which sounds like your intention. Check the exact situation if you are going to fly with an instructor. The consequences of flying without cover could be eyewatering for your wallet.

I had the misfortune (ok - finger trouble) of landing a US rented glider with the wheel still neatly stowed. At my home club the minor scrape would have been sorted with an overnight in the workshop and £50 worth of materials. At the commercial fbo the aircraft was sent off to the local professional repair shop and returned about a week later. The insurance claim for the repair was significant but overwhelmed by the claim for loss of use of the aircraft for a week. Fortunately I had taken out the full monty insurance and the cost was negligible compared to the claim. Money well spent.

Jim

7of9
13th Jan 2010, 11:37
Many thanks for the replies & help.
I can't find the information on here & CAA site is hard to find what i want so thought i would ask here.

Where do i find the relevant CAA paperwork for applying for a JAR PPL Licence to fly in USA please?

Thanks Trev

B2N2
13th Jan 2010, 13:34
This Airmen Certification: Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/) what you are looking for?

7of9
13th Jan 2010, 23:45
Thats the one thanks.

Cheers Trev