PDA

View Full Version : Private Pilot's License Training / Los Angeles

cam123
26th Dec 2009, 21:16
Any good suggestions on where to go? Preferably out of Santa Monica or Van Nuys but would consider Long Beach.

Mark 1
26th Dec 2009, 21:36
There are places available at the A&E club at Hawthorne currently.
It is a 50 member non-profit club that operates 4 Cessnas. the 172s are $75/hour plus a $75 monthly charge (or thereabouts). Plenty of available instructors at about $40/hour typically. Availability is quite good.

Full tower and not much pattern traffic with 24 hour availability.

LAX is 4 miles away and the class C is about 1/2 a mile away.

The only other commitment is a half day work-day once a month or $60 charge for non-attendance.

PM me if you're interested

AdamFrisch
26th Dec 2009, 22:32
I've flown with Justice Aviation out of SMO (Santa Monica) a couple of times and they've been very good.

ab33t
27th Dec 2009, 10:08
I have flown with many of the FBO's in and around the LA area and all were good , the only thing I will say is be careful for the bigger airports it can get busy in the patterns and you burn up time on the ground. All the best

172driver
27th Dec 2009, 16:38
Have also flown with Justice in KSMO and can recommend them. Not sure about the visa situation with them however, check.

Mark1 - this sounds very interesting, I get to L.A. on a pretty regular basis and will check them out! Almost sounds like the - sadly now defunct - Pilot's COOP at KBUR :ok:

fholbert
29th Dec 2009, 03:55
I live in SoCal and can suggest a couple of good places. Do you live in SoCal or are you coming from out of town/country? I'd stay away from Santa Monica and Van Nuys for training just because of the volume of traffic.

What type of training equipment do you want? Cessna? Glass?

Does money vs location count? Other airports will be cheaper. Fullerton has mostly glass Cessna's. Very well maintained. Corona often fits the budget. I know a excellent flight instructor at El Monte.

Frank Holbert
Flying the Bellanca Super Viking (http://160knots.com)

Trolltuner
29th Dec 2009, 11:47
.....I'd stay away from Santa Monica and Van Nuys for training just because of the volume of traffic.

Don't overlook the great value and confidence you'll gain by training in a busy ATC environment and learning how to properly "mix it up" with faster corporate jet traffic, wake turbulence, complex airspace, etc. I learned to fly at KVNY primary, solo, thru CPL, Inst, CFII, etc. and don't regret it a bit - met too many pilots who are downright "scared" to operate there, and that's not the way to go. :=

Cheers,

Trolltuner

fholbert
29th Dec 2009, 12:45
I learned to fly at KVNY primary, solo, thru CPL, Inst, CFII, etc. and don't regret it a bit - met too many pilots who are downright "scared" to operate there, and that's not the way to go. :=What airport in LA isn't busy? Just that some are too busy. I once got in line #8 for departure on the left runway and arrivals were 1 mile apart using all three runways. I waited 35 minutes to takeoff ($150) as I was renting a twin. One can practice waiting for departure at any airport.

I don't need that kind of experience.

Frank Holbert
Flying the Bellanca Super Viking (http://160knots.com)

cam123
5th Jan 2010, 09:47
I took a lesson at California Flight Center (http://www.californiaflightcenter.com/). That was fun. Might be too expensive to follow up there but I had a really good, hands-on experience.