View Full Version : Is a standby ATC tower required?

square-head
23rd Nov 2009, 10:26
I know that many airports have a standby tower, but that is only because they build a new tower to meet the demand in increase of traffic. However, is it a requirement to have a standby ATC tower if there is none Tried to search ICAO docs but could not find any.

Spitoon
23rd Nov 2009, 17:09
There's no requirement for a standby tower in ICAO - although there is a SARP that says there should be a contingency plan. Of course, a contingency plan may simply be to withdraw the service.

I think you'll find more in the EUROCONTROL ESSIP - there certainly used to be - but I'm not up to speed with the current details. This will apply to DE.

Gonzo
23rd Nov 2009, 18:41
Provision of a contingency control facility is more of a commercial resilience decision to be taken by the airport owner.

Sir George Cayley
25th Nov 2009, 14:25
Manchester Airport plan to build one; a man in the Romper Pub told me.

So it must be true:ok:

Sir George Cayley

peatair
26th Nov 2009, 18:05
Many years ago - in the early 1970s (before even MACC opened) - Manchester Airport decided to utilise an old "Runway Controller Caravan" as an Emergency Control Unit. Later, that was replaced with a portakabin-type building. Both were located near the landing threshold of what is now 05L. In neither case was any radar contingency provided so the plan was that approach control (procedural) and aerodrome control be provided. In reality, that plan was hopelessly unrealistic. Given that there was neither willingness nor money on the part of the airport owners, the idea of such an emergency control facility was knocked on the head - if I recall correctly - around 2001. [The matter had to be addressed as part of the Unit Safety Case]. The ECU building was retained as a communications point so that ATC could keep in touch with LACC during any evacuation period.

Since then, I have departed from NATS so the above information is historic. Perhaps some current Manchester bod might update us?

There is no obligation to maintain an emergency control facility (or standby tower). It becomes a commercial judgment. The usual choice is to accept the risk of loss of business in what is perhaps a once in a Preston Guild timescale.

Quintilian
27th Nov 2009, 10:03
In our medium sized airport (Norway) our contingency plan for a u/s tower is to drive the "tower-car" into a nice position where you have a good look-out, and use the radio in the car to get the a/c on the ground. Then we close up shop :)