PDA

View Full Version : 777 Altitude Alerting

aa777phil
19th Nov 2009, 22:15
Does anybody fly a 777 that gives an Aural alert when approaching a selected altitude? The one I fly will give an aural alert when departing a captured altitude by about 300 feet from.
I have heard of some airplanes that ,when hand flying, will give an aural alert approaching about 900' from a selected altitude. This aural alert will not sound if the autopilot is flying the aircraft.
If you have this on your airplane would you please describe it and tell me what Boeing calls this system?
Thanks,
Phil

Spooky 2
19th Nov 2009, 22:30
Just going through my "optional" list on the 777 and I do not see any reference to aural alerts in the Warning section that talks to the Altitude Alerter. EICAS messages, and highlighted amber boxes around the altitude looks to be the normal functionality with no others offered. Having said that you would be absoultely amazed at all the different configurations possible when the customer sits down and checks off his idea of the perfect 777:}. Don't bet a dime on my answer to your question.

The system you describe without the aural alert is refered to as the "basic 900' alert and 200' deviation" so that would lead one to believe that there are other versions out there but I do not see them.

Old Smokey
20th Nov 2009, 06:21
The B777 versions that I fly (4) have a VISUAL alert at 900 feet to go, and an AURAL and VISUAL alert if departing the altitude by 200 feet or more.

As indicated, other customer options may vary.

Regards,

Old Smokey

flyhardmo
20th Nov 2009, 08:37
Our 777's have an aural (C-Chord) and visual alert (highlighted white box) at 900' when approaching a selected MCP altitiude and also have an aural and visual alert when departing a selected altitude by 200' (highlighted amber box and EICAS alert). There is no difference whether the autopilot is engaged or not.

I wasn't aware that there were options on this sort of equipment. Not surprised if it costs extra to install though.