PDA

View Full Version : Flying on your PPL on holiday

CharlotteRS
21st Sep 2009, 21:32
Hi

I'm writing a travel feature for The Log, the magazine from BALPA. It's looking at how you can use your PPL abroad to do some incredible flights while on holiday. The areas we're focussing on are: USA, Caribbean, Australia and S Africa. I want to include some egs of great flights that people have done, so please can you email me any recommendations, who you went with, costs etc?
Also what did you have to do to convert your JAA license in these destinations?
Please can you send all info to [email protected]
Thanks very much.

BackPacker
22nd Sep 2009, 07:33
Also what did you have to do to convert your JAA license in these destinations?

For this, search this forum. The procedure to validate an ICAO PPL in the places you mentioned have all been discussed here recently.

The websites of the respective authorities also give a lot of info, like this:

Airmen Certification: Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

Intercepted
22nd Sep 2009, 09:19
It was an interesting letter from a reader in latest FLYER about South Africa. A lot of red tape and quite a lot of theory with a compulsary theory test. He had have his conversion done on an earlier SA trip, but it expired after 3 months and he had to go through the procedure from scratch.

I'm Swedish and would like to fly in Sweden twice a year or something. This is obviously not a problem with a JAA-PPL. The problem I found with the clubs I talked to was that they did not cater for that situation and I would have to pay a full years member fee to the club and the mother organisation. On top of that, an extra charge since I will not be around helping out with tasks in the club etc. Anyway, this is a bit unrelated to the thread.