PDA

View Full Version : IFR into Weston

737-500
5th Sep 2009, 13:09
Hi all,

I am planning to fly to Weston IFR next weekend in a C172 with no RNAV(just basic KLN 89B GPS) equipment. All SID and STAR's are P-RNAV and just wondering would this be a problem or not? If anyone has any suggestions I would be glad to hear them.

B735

CKnopfell
5th Sep 2009, 20:19
I had absolutely no problem. If requested to make an RNAV approach just inform ATC that you are not RNAV equipped. Has never happened to me on the approach as you are always just radar vectored.

The more likely problem is on departure when tower may tell you to make an RNAV SID. Again, just tell them you are not RNAV equipped and they will give you alternate instructions.

Note that when filing your flight plan the great Eurocontrol computer will automatically fill in the RNAV SID/STAR for you, so the copy ATC get will indicate you want the RNAV SID. It may help to put a note on the flight plan that you are not RNAV equipped although they should be able to work this out from the absence of the 'R' in the aircraft equipment.

Regards,
Carl

pm210668
6th Sep 2009, 12:19
All EIWT arrivals and deps are DVOR/DME based.

Its likely RWY 25 will be active, so expect the VOR-A IAP (The active EIDW approach dictates the flow of traffic into all 3 airports.)

Its about 30 degrees off 25 centreline and stick with the radial until you are inside 2-3 DME, EIME looks very tempting at about 4 miles.

Deps are locally briefed SDPs, quite simple.

OPS or ATC will set you up for anything you need.

737-500
6th Sep 2009, 13:11
Thanks everyone for the comments. Just to confirm when departing EIWT do I follow VFR departure routes as on their website and then switch to IFR after this?

B735

youngskywalker
6th Sep 2009, 17:34
They have a SID which requires a climbing right turn onto a radial just off of runway 25. The ground staff will give you a copy of the procedure if you ask them. All pretty straight forward stuff.

dublinpilot
6th Sep 2009, 19:30
The VOR/DME was unservicable today. Not sure how long it has been/will be out of action.

737-500
7th Sep 2009, 15:28
Just checked the NOTAMS, WST VOR out of service until 14 Sept 20.00 :ugh:.
Looks like I'll have to wait till another day!

Miles Magister
7th Sep 2009, 15:44
The arrivals will be radar vectored to the VOR approach if it is working, if not it is a cloud break to visual. Dublin radar are good but be careful about being kept high, especially on the easterly runway.

Departures are straightforward if you talk to the tower controller before.

I had all the same concerns as you before I went there but careful preparation made it straightforward.

If you want to chat on the telephone then PM me.

With regards to the FPL; read the UK flight planing guide (CAP 694) and the UK AIP RNAV section and they tell you exactly how to file your flight plan making it clear you are not RNAV and require special handling, like do not put an 's' in the equipment box.

Regards

MM