PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if...

tomtom_91
23rd Aug 2009, 13:30
What would happen if a fire broke out in an Air Traffic Control centre, such as Swanwick I assume that there would be a back up centre somewhere? But surely it would still take time to move the controllers around etc?

Random question....

Lon More
23rd Aug 2009, 14:26
There was a plan to airlift the controllers to Scottish, where they could sit and twiddle their thumbs

Maastricht is a UACC so control would be passed to the ACCs. and/or MACCs

Alternative is close the airspace.

mocoman
23rd Aug 2009, 15:06
I assume that there would be a back up centre somewhere

There is a backup facility, the actual location of which is restricted information.

However I doubt that there exists a complete set of backup controllers so I'm not quite sure how the scenario would be handled.

windowjob
23rd Aug 2009, 15:28
Cunning plan was to fly the Controllers from Swanwick to Scottish, you see we think of everything - but with no one at Swanwick there will be no flights from the South of the UK.
Anyone got a student railcard?
:ok:

Cows getting bigger
23rd Aug 2009, 15:42
mocoman, there would be at least three shift loads of controllers who were off duty at the time. :)

blueskythinking
23rd Aug 2009, 16:02
you mean overtime!! Excellent. Of course NATS would charter a suitable aircraft to take controllers up to scottish. Perhaps an old Dc 3 or some ancient russian type. The managers and HR people would obviously get there first in their GV or similar! Would be a no go anyway as we would have to wait for a NIBs code and input it into that wonderful system before we would be allowed to go!

mocoman
23rd Aug 2009, 17:19
Damn good point Cows! :ugh:

There still remains the practical question of how the system would function in the period between a closure at the main facility and the opening of the backup.

Flow restriction or full/partial airspace closure would, I assume, be the order of the day.

5milesbaby
23rd Aug 2009, 20:53
At Swanwick we are fully trained for this situation and those pilots that have been fortunate enough to come and take part in our TRUCE sessions may even have seen us do it for practice. There are also procedures for alerting all controllers if necessary.

Unfortunately I'm not going to discuss what we do on an open forum.

tomtom_91
23rd Aug 2009, 22:13
Thanks for the replys guys! One of the questions that I wish I had asked when I visited!

Thanks

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Aug 2009, 07:57
Nobody's mentioned the truly dire effect such an event would have on the EG list...

Lon More
24th Aug 2009, 08:36
the truly dire effect such an event would have on the EG list...

Definitely not something to be talked about on an open forum.:E

Can I expect a visit from the men in grey for stating the blindingly obvious in my first post?

ImnotanERIC
24th Aug 2009, 09:46
there may be at 3 watches not on duty, but how many would come in?

landedoutagain
24th Aug 2009, 11:49
If a fire broke out, I wouldnt be coming in. I would only the hinder the progress of those who were trying to get out...

PeltonLevel
27th Aug 2009, 18:40
There are short-term (clear the skies then run like hell, or, if too catastrophic, run like hell then clear the skies), medium-term (provide a limited service from anywhere that radar and radio for the airspace can be provided) and long-term (configure all available NERL equipment to provide an optimised, but less than total, service within the whole of UK airspace with the remaining controllers) plans for such an incident at Swanwick.

It's not clear what the validation requirements would be for the latter cases!

Lon More
28th Aug 2009, 11:51
Follow Gunson's advice and chuck eerything to the next sector. Then run

It's a very strange feeling when the whole Ops. Room is evacuated and you're the last one there!!

Mr_Grubby
28th Aug 2009, 12:50
When I worked at West Drayton I always said I would be the last one out in the event of a fire.

I would want to fan the flames to make sure the fire got a good hold.

C.:ok: