PDA

View Full Version : BMI TO STAY AT BFS

aviaraptor
5th Oct 2001, 17:06
It has just been announced that bmi are to remain at BFS - with up to 400,000 pax capacity on LHR. It's on the ft.com website. Things change by the hour don't they? :D

Gaza
5th Oct 2001, 17:39
Not quite true! They will operate from both:-

bmi british midland to serve Heathrow from both Belfast airports

bmi british midland has today confirmed that, as previously announced, it will be transferring the majority of its business to Belfast City Airport with effect from the start of its winter timetable on 28 October 2001. However, the airline will also be operating additional services from Belfast International Airport.

bmi will now operate seven daily flights from Belfast City Airport to London Heathrow and four daily flights from Belfast International Airport also to London Heathrow.

The announcement will see the airline move the majority of its business to the City Airport on 28 October, but at the same time ensuring Heathrow services are maintained from Belfast International Airport. The move follows the decision by British Airways to abandon services to and from Northern Ireland and negotiations during the past 10 days to retain an Aldergrove to Heathrow service.

Austin Reid, chief executive officer said:

"I am delighted that in conjunction with Belfast City Airport we have been able to take into account the needs of all Northern Ireland travellers and provide the community with Heathrow services from both the City and International airports.

"We believe that there is great deal of potential to develop our business from BCA from where we will operate the majority of our services. However, we also recognise that some passengers may still have a preference to use an alternative airport when flying to Heathrow.

“We have been able to put together a comprehensive schedule of 11 flights throughout the day from both airports, which we are sure travellers to London Heathrow and beyond will find extremely convenient.

“The retention of some services from Belfast International Airport has in no way reduced our commitment to work closely with Belfast City Airport. The two companies will continue to work together to develop a wide range of passenger facilities at the Airport. These will provide Northern Ireland travellers with the highest level of passenger comfort and service."

John Doran, Airport Director Belfast City Airport:

“Belfast City Airport have worked closely with bmi british midland over the past week to develop a creative solution to the problem left by the sudden withdrawal of the British Airways Heathrow service.

“In the current economic climate, we feel it is important to ensure that a comprehensive air service between Northern Ireland and London is maintained, and we are actively supporting bmi british midland in this latest development.

“We look forward to welcoming bmi british midland to the Airport at the end of the month, and to working with them for the long term economic benefit of the Province.”

jongar
5th Oct 2001, 18:09
I think that is a fair compromise. Most of us business travellers prefer to fly into city. Its been ironic that we had to go from MAN or LGW to get into the city. Good luck BMI

V50

squawk 6789
5th Oct 2001, 18:15
Aviaraptor, obviously good news for BFS & its staff but I wonder how broad your "smilie" would have been if TBI had not been careless enough to let bmi walk down the road so apparently easily? BA have been rumoured to be ditching this route for so long and BD (as was) always said that they would pick up any subsequent slack. Apart from anything else, when the low-cost carriers are bitting BAR & BE so hard, how long could BHD have survived as a viable opponent for its bigger, more capable (purely in terms of potential development terms) rival? If bmi were doing 11 or 12 from BFS and FR came in as well, along with what EZY & GO have achieved, the market would be just about sewn up in BFS's favour. Don't bet against it happening, either! Might require a change in BFS management thinking, though.

[ 05 October 2001: Message edited by: squawk 6789 ]

Anne.Nonymous
5th Oct 2001, 19:15
The future is blue!
The low cost airlines cannot afford to pay for 20 minute holding each LHR bound sector, BAA landing fees, handling agent charges and the like at LHR - even if they got the slots. How would easy cope with the LHR delays when they try to fly such a tight schedule?

bmi and BA have run loss-making routes in the past just to preserve slots. To the best of my knowledge they are non-route specific so those to be given up by BA will go into the pot. bmi will operating three extra flights a day to Northerm Ireland (BFS 4 & BHD 7)for which they will either use existing slots from other routes or apply for more - which do you think more likely?

bmi had to continue to fly from BFS if only for the charter market but with the existing infrastructure of lounges I think the businessman will continue to choose blue - especially with the A330 at peak times.

controller friendly
5th Oct 2001, 19:47
At last some good news!

Though bmi only do one charter a week ,during the summer out of BFS so i hardly think that had much to do with it!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dik dastardly
5th Oct 2001, 21:28
well you've gotta hand it to BMI, nothing like hedging your bets! So on days similar to today when its blowin a gale across 22 and wet they can nip up the road where they will still have handling. At Christmas they can chuck the 330 into BFS or if a Bus slips off the end of 22 they can retreat. Nicely done!

Anne.Nonymous
6th Oct 2001, 00:03
Sorry BV I thought this thread was headed BMI to stay at BFS

I am sure that eJ's figures are right. The majors don't cover places like LPL although it used to be a favourite BM base.

But to return to the thread, bmi has an excellent customer base in NI who have stayed with the airline for years. The move to BHD was purely a financial decision but affected by the intransigence of tbi to level the playing field and charge eJ the same rate as bmi and BA.ie £12 as opposed to £3 (the start up rate. The move to BHD has mainly been supported by the business passengers and their firms.

It is noteworthy that bmi are opening a new route in the current climate which will need more staff which should be welcome in the wake of BA's withdrawal.

BV To answer you last question about BA, I suppose it is the fact that they claim to carry more passengers but that would make the M25 Britain's favourite motorway, n'est pas? :eek:

controller friendly
6th Oct 2001, 06:01
Anne,
I think we've been here before but yes bmi have a large business base in NI which until yesterday they were prepared to forget about. I know for a fact that they had lost one of their corporate customers by the move & were close to if they had not already lost their biggest cargo customer as the logistics (or delicasies) did not fit & that's not even counting the boys in green!
bmi were just waiting for an excuse to jumpback into bed with tbi,& i'm not saying they are not welcome in this present climate, but how much has this got to do with EZY's Application for LHR slots?
As was previously said now they have the best of every world but at least NI people will have a chance of getting home this christmas!! :D :D

RAFAT
6th Oct 2001, 06:53
Anne - beware the scorn of the BFS mob! first controller friendly, then Bono Vox, what next? gul dukat perhaps? I've been there and its nasty, although I've never been at Duffy at 3000ft!! ;) :D ;)

Anne.Nonymous
6th Oct 2001, 11:15
Thanks Rafat

I shall retire gracefully!

I guess its a question of perspective; whether you are in the box looking out or vice versa?

Anne

keepitlit
6th Oct 2001, 15:39
Ah read it and weep,I dont think that even barcode could have hit the nail on the head with this one.
Hhhmmmmmm Friendly looks like we still will be able to Chat :D

Rgds K.I.L.

Speed is your friend :D

controller friendly
6th Oct 2001, 18:01
Anne
Nothing personal,I for one am delighted to see bmi retain some sort of presence at BFS, and if there is any truth in the rumour that the A330 may show up from time to time,well thats even better. :D Those who know me know why larger aircraft are important!
As for RAFAT,he doubted my knowledge a while back,and when the going got tough,he got going!!
:cool:
K.I.L.
How's it going,i think i was getting hassled about the local bash last night though to be honest,it's all a blur :rolleyes: nothing new there then!What about mid-november,the weekend of the 16th/17th looks good.I think we could all do with something to look forward to during these difficult times.
We are all in this together,don't forget who now owns 46% of the company i work for :rolleyes:
;) No hard feelings and good luck to everyone(no i'm not still drunk,i've just been on leave for a while :p )
I'm away to see if Liverpool,sorry England can do it again! :D

gul dukat
6th Oct 2001, 20:49
Hey Chaps ..good to see Bmi back albeit in a minor way ! It is now up to the travelling public of all of NI to see which service they prefer ..Let the airlines compete. As for TBI lets hope that this has been a CLARION CALL and that NO MORE services will be lost!
Rafat !! and I thought we had made up !! :D sharper than a serpents tooth !!! :)

Controller friendly ....don't be ridiculous!!!come on you greeks ...STELIOS REMEMBER!!! :D :D
:D

[ 06 October 2001: Message edited by: gul dukat ]

Anne.Nonymous
6th Oct 2001, 23:05
RAFAT You're right!

Logic and discussion OK but gul dukat and condescending sexism - no way!

snip
Hey Chaps ..good to see Bmi back albeit in a minor way !
snip

Anne

RAFAT
7th Oct 2001, 00:02
gul - we did, just joshin'. ;)

Controller Friendly - I see it as I challenged your BHD slating and simply quit while I was ahead.

[ 06 October 2001: Message edited by: RAFAT ]

gul dukat
7th Oct 2001, 14:40
ANNE BMI had seven rotations from BFS now four Bhd had none now SEVEN surely Bmi has decided the MAJOR airport for them is egac and the MINOR is egaa. As for sexism I have hunted and can only think that my description of folk on the board as "chaps" is the reference which has caused offence.Sorry if it has ...but really !!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anne.Nonymous
8th Oct 2001, 01:07
Gul

Thanks!

It was just that you said nice to see them back when, to my knowledge, they haven't left. Yes I know that the intention was to leave entirely but all that has happened is the frequency has reduced from EIGHT rotations to four @ EGAA and they have added seven from EGAC.

It would be as sad day if they had been forced by financial disadvantage to leave BFS. I remember the happy days when the Bearded One looked after Friendly and you called short finals at the Barleycorn!

Anne :D

controller friendly
9th Oct 2001, 03:13
I don't remember being looked after by anyone with a beard....! :p :p