PDA

View Full Version : Class Rating Instructor Training

silvereagle
18th May 2009, 17:05
I was wondering if there is a list of training schools which offer training towards the CRI qualification. I am a CPL(A) (but not a FI) holder and the plan is to instruct on the Cessna Caravan. I have 900 hours on the Caravan plus all the other pre course qualifications.

Is there a list somewhere, or do you know where the training can be done? I've spoken to a couple of schools and been offered rather blank looks.

Any ideas?

OpenCirrus619
18th May 2009, 17:18
Try Carol Cooper at Andrewsfield.

Andrewsfield Aviation (http://www.andrewsfield.com/)

OC619

Phoenix09
18th May 2009, 17:34
West London Aero Club at White Waltham do it.

01628 823272

Keygrip
18th May 2009, 17:40
What class does the caravan come under?

Ask the CAA staff examiners at Oxford for the course. They owe you a favour on the caravan anyway.

Whopity
18th May 2009, 21:33
Cessna SET

The list is here http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/pld%20standardsdocument30v30.pdf
Not all FIC providers offer the CRI option and its unlikely you will find anyone qualified to do it on the Caravan. Try ONTRACK AVIATION LIMITED (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/)

silvereagle
21st May 2009, 08:00
Many thanks. On the case now!

gijoe
21st May 2009, 20:17
Wycombe Air Centre - it was good fun and Caroline is a great 'instructor instructor'.

:ok:

gijoe
29th May 2009, 20:04
Well done Mods for being overzealous and heavy handed by deleting my thread on Private Flying offering my services FREE of CHARGE as a CRI on the other forum.

Get over it guys!

XXPLOD
31st May 2009, 21:55
Western Air at Thruxton now doing FI and CRI training, which could be handy if you're in Wilts.

Captain Stravaigin
2nd Jun 2009, 18:14
I did mine at On-Track at Wellesbourne and found them very good.

S-Works
5th Jun 2009, 12:37
Well done Mods for being overzealous and heavy handed by deleting my thread on Private Flying offering my services FREE of CHARGE as a CRI on the other forum.

Get over it guys!

Why should you use the forum to advertise your service when the rest of us don't? Nothing over zealous about it from the mods, perhaps on the over zealous front you might want to look introspectively.....

S-Works
6th Jun 2009, 09:26
I can also highly recommend OnTrack at Wellesbourne. I have done all of my Instructor and Examiner courses with them over the years.

A first class experience taught by vastly experienced people and a friendly environment. They also only do professional level courses and are not a PPL sausage factory.

Mickey Kaye
6th Jun 2009, 11:43
Could someone give me a quick run down in layman's terms or point me in the direction of what you are allowed to do the a SEP Class Rating Instructor rating.

S-Works
6th Jun 2009, 19:22
You may do anything other than ab-initio training and training for the night rating. You may do differences training such as turbo, retract, wobbly prop, tailwheel, SLPC, Glass, pressurisation. You may do a CRE ME and teach multi engine.

If you do an IRI course you may teach for the IMC and the IR. If you have the appropriate type ratings you may teach for the single engine turbine rating and any SPA multi engine turbine ratings.

With enough experience you may become a Class Rating Examiner and examiner for anything you hold on your licence, SEP, MEP, SET, MET etc. However if doing a CRI on a PPL you won't be able to as you need to hold or have held a professional licence.

A CRI may also do training towards a class rating, for example someone who hold a ML rating and wishes to add a SEP or SSEA or vice versa.

Squat-thrust
29th Jun 2009, 19:40
What sort of knowledge level should a CRI student be expected to have prior to starting the course?

Is it a case of revising your 'Trevor Thom' books from your PPL days, or should you get copies of CPL/ATPL books and reach CPL knowledge level?

DFC
29th Jun 2009, 20:41
A CRI may also do training towards a class rating, for example someone who hold a ML rating and wishes to add a SEP or SSEA or vice versa.

If by "ML" you mean microlight then the above is incorrect.

A JAR-FCL CRI can only provide training in SEP to a person who holds a JAR-FCL licence.

If you have the appropriate type ratings you may teach for the single engine turbine rating and any SPA multi engine turbine ratings.

If only it was that simple!!

I recomend that JAR-FCL is the first thing that should be read. Particular attention should be made to the requirements that every CRI has to meet - (experience, training and test) before being able to teach on another type or class.

Regards,

DFC

ifitaintboeing
30th Jun 2009, 05:10
DFC,

If by "ML" you mean microlight then the above is incorrect.

A JAR-FCL CRI can only provide training in SEP to a person who holds a JAR-FCL licence.

You're wrong with the above, since the SEP rating includes privileges relating to microlights.

I have written confirmation from the CAA that a CRI can provide training on microlight aircraft within the privileges of their class rating, since SEP includes microlights. See also LASORS section F.

In summary a CRI can complete SSEA to Microlight, or Microlight to SSEA or indeed Microlight to SEP, since it is CLASS RATING instruction.

ATB,

ifitaint...

DFC
30th Jun 2009, 08:32
ifitaintboeing,

You are correct that in the UK, the UKCAA permits instructors who hold JAR-FCL licenses and who are qualified to teach SEP to also teach microlight provided that they have completed differences training.

The UK can permit anyone it wants to teach for national licenses and ratings. The UK currently permits national pilots with no instructor ratings to teach for the grant of an NPPL.

However, with regard to a CRI, it is not so simple when one talks about JAR-FCL training - which the SEP is.

JAR-FCL 1.375 states that the privileges of a CRI is to instruct licence holders for the issue of a type or class rating for single pilot aeroplanes.

Unfortunately, some people forget that JAR-FCL 1.005 tells us;

Whenever licences, ratings, authorisations, approvals or certificates are
mentioned in JAR–FCL, these are meant to be licences, ratings, authorisations, approvals or certificates issued in accordance with
JAR–FCL.

Therefore JAR-FCL makes it clear that the CRI is only entitled to teach SEP Class (or MEP Class) to the holder of a JAR-FCL licence.

Note that I am talking about the training for the issue of the class rating since people seeking for example to complete the 1 hour with an instructor by definition already hold the SEP and therefore a JAR-FCL licence.

In sumary, SSEA or SEP to Microlight - National Issue - differences training - CRI

SSEA to SEP - JAR-FI required (most of the training from the JAR-FI will have been done on the initial SSEA training)

Microlight to SSEA or SEP - JAR FI required

The easiest way to think of it is that any training which requires a solo element requires an FI since CRI's are not authorised to supervise student solo flights.

But don't forget what JAR-FCL says about licenses when training for JAR-FCL ratings!!

Regards,

DFC

S-Works
30th Jun 2009, 10:43
DFC, there are so many holes in that last post that it would take a yard of concrete to try and plug them. I suggest you go back to square and understand the rules yourself.

As for:

The UK can permit anyone it wants to teach for national licenses and ratings. The UK currently permits national pilots with no instructor ratings to teach for the grant of an NPPL.

Where on earth did you come up with that crap......

Sometimes you should read what you actually write and realise that the half the stuff you clearly make up does not come close to passing for rules.

A CRI may teach for any rating that they hold on their license or have embedded rights to such as Micro-light if they have met the relevant experience requirements. With an IRI they may even teach for the IR/IMC. This includes the various SET Class Ratings and Single Pilot Type ratings. Multi engines type ratings naturally require a CRI (ME).

DFC
30th Jun 2009, 11:00
Where on earth did you come up with that crap......

LASORS.

NPPL holders teach for the microlight rating under an exemption and not by virtue of holding an instrutor rating.

CRI's can not do any ab-initio training. They can not send students solo. They can only train people who already hold the appropriate licence. Therefore if an NPPL holder with microlight rating approached a CRI with a view to obtaining a JAR-FCL licence with SEP the CRI would not be able to train them.

A CRI(MEP) with a valid SEP rating can not automatically teach for the SEP Class as you claim. They need to comply with the requirements in JAR-FCL with regard to experience, training and test first.

Regards,

DFC

S-Works
30th Jun 2009, 11:24
At no point did I say a CRI (ME) could teach for an SE. You made that up.

A CRI may teach the holder of an NPPL SSEA to fly microlights and add the ML class to the NPPL. There is no solo element. The holder of an NPPL with ML may be trained by a CRI to add a SSEA. There is no solo element.

Nobody mentioned a CRI converting an NPPL to a JAA FCL license.

What you going to make up now to support your argument?

DFC
30th Jun 2009, 12:07
At no point did I say a CRI (ME) could teach for an SE. You made that up.

Did I..........?

A CRI may teach for any rating that they hold on their license or have embedded rights to such as Micro-light if they have met the relevant experience requirements

---------------

Nobody mentioned a CRI converting an NPPL to a JAA FCL license.

Did you not?............

Just remind me what licence you can add an SEP to if you are an NPPL with microlight rating?

Please read JAR-FCL, LASORS and the requirements including for example solo training that must be completed to get an SEP from an SSEA.

Regards,

DFC

S-Works
30th Jun 2009, 14:53
LOL, that is the most breathtaking example of cutting and pasting to make your point I have seen. I suggest reading and using all off what I wrote in context.

You have surpassed yourself this time DFC.

blagger
30th Jun 2009, 15:48
DFC seems to be trying to make a point about NPPL holders and adding an SEP with a CRI training - which of course you can't do, it would be an SSEA. All of which is a total red herring to the original question as nobody is trying to add an SEP to a NPPL from what I read of the debate.

The main thing a CRI can't do is if the student involved wanted a JAR-PPL from an NPPL he/she would have to engage the services of an FI, don't think anyone is disputing that.

Before I became an FI, I was a CRI and successfully trained numerous NPPL microlighters for their SSEA ratings and also a lot of people renewing SEP ratings on lifetime PPLs - all worked out fine.

I think the CRI is a great rating as long as people holding it and training with it know their limitations (it is only gained with minimum training) and are working in a supportive environment. I work with other CRIs now, and for example I know if they get a student for a rating that really needs a lot of work on core flying skills (landings for example), they might pass him/her over to an FI for a couple of hours brush up then continue on. All quite sensible and pragmatic.

DFC
30th Jun 2009, 17:35
I think the CRI is a great rating as long as people holding it and training with it know their limitations (it is only gained with minimum training) and are working in a supportive environment. I work with other CRIs now, and for example I know if they get a student for a rating that really needs a lot of work on core flying skills (landings for example), they might pass him/her over to an FI for a couple of hours brush up then continue on. All quite sensible and pragmatic.

Amen to that!

With regard to the SEP I was simply pointing out that someone was wrong to say;

A CRI may also do training towards a class rating, for example someone who hold a ML rating and wishes to add a SEP

Regards,

DFC

S-Works
30th Jun 2009, 19:49
Yes DFC, you have proven that your pedantry is legendary. What I should have said is SSEA rather than SEP. I bow to your worshipful excellence.....:p:p:p:p

DFC
30th Jun 2009, 21:28
Sorry Bose, I did not quote you in full. Here is the full quote;

I take your point that what you intended to say was "SSEA or SSEA or vice versa"

:D:D

Regards,

DFC

S-Works
1st Jul 2009, 06:14
Once upon a time, in fact until the 30th June this year, on a UK NPPL the SEP class rating existed. It then became a requirement for all NPPL holders to go through a paperwork exercise and have SSEA with a rolling 2 year period.

There are many people out there who had NPPL licenses and had an SEP rating added to them after holding a Microlight rating and vice versa and all the ealry ones were issued by the NPPL Group/CAA with and SEP rating not an SSEA rating.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

dobbin1
3rd Jul 2009, 08:29
Can a CRI teach aerobatics? If so, do they have to have any additional qualifications or training?

IMC1
12th Sep 2009, 00:13
Has anybody completed a CRI rating with BCFT at Bournemouth?

Many Thanks

Genghis the Engineer
19th May 2011, 14:55
I'm going to dredge up this ancient thread rather than start a new one. I'm doing a CRI course myself shortly, and prior to that have been wading through the regulations to try and get a clear handle on what a CRI can, and can't, do. I've come up with the following list (supported by another 8 pages of notes and references I've not posted here). I'd be grateful for any confirmation, disagreement, or comments on any of it...

What can be done

To get a CRI you need either a PPL or higher licence with at-least 300hrs including 30hrs on class.
A CRI may carry out instruction for recurrency, familiarisation, or differences training.
A CRI can be paid to instruct in a joint or sole owned UK PtF, UK CofA or EASA aeroplane. In a permit aeroplane, any subsequent examination must be unpaid. The person being taught, unless the aeroplane is certified for public transport, must be an owner of the aeroplane being flown.
If the aeroplane is joint owned and has an EASA CofA, the previous maintenance inspection must have been signed for by a licenced engineer, with no subsequent pilot maintenance.
The CRI can fly the biennial flight with an instructor required for JAR PPL(SEP), NPPL(M) or NPPL(SSEA)
The CRI can teach for differences training for any of tailwheel, VP/CS, retract, turbo/supercharged engines, pressurisation, EFIS, single-lever power – so long as they’ve completed this training themselves.

The regulations do not (appear to) specifically state the following, but they seem reasonable extrapolations

A CRI can instruct for transfer between NPPL(SSEA) and NPPL(M), in either direction, but a separate examiner will be needed for the NPPL(SSEA) skill test, and the CRI could not authorise any solo flight before issue of their NPPL(SSEA)/
A CRI with appropriate experience and differences training could train for the 3-axis/flexwing differences training on microlights in either direction.
A CRI(SPA/SEP) could provide a ME-only pilot with the necessary instruction to obtain/return SEP currency.

Questions for which I can’t seem to find answers:

Does a CRI need a CPL to get paid? Presumably they do, but the regulations seem to imply the opposite.
Can a CRI teach aerobatics?

G

ifitaintboeing
19th May 2011, 16:06
Quick answers to your questions.

The regulations do not (appear to) specifically state the following, but they seem reasonable extrapolations

* A CRI can instruct for transfer between NPPL(SSEA) and NPPL(M), in either direction, but a separate examiner will be needed for the NPPL(SSEA) skill test, and the CRI could not authorise any solo flight before issue of their NPPL(SSEA)/

See http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/PDFs/NPPL%20XC%20REV%2008.pdf

This specifically mentions CRIs and what they are entitled to do towards NPPLs.

* A CRI with appropriate experience and differences training could train for the 3-axis/flexwing differences training on microlights in either direction.

Correct. This is in LASORS Section H0:

"Holders of JAR-FCL licences which contain appropriate Instructor Ratings (and Examiner Authorisations) may exercise the privileges of the ratings/authorisations included in their licences on Microlight aeroplanes
and SLMG’s but shall first undertake any necessary differences training."

* A CRI(SPA/SEP) could provide a ME-only pilot with the necessary instruction to obtain/return SEP currency.

Correct. You will be training a licence holder towards the SEP Class Rating.

* Does a CRI need a CPL to get paid? Presumably they do, but the regulations seem to imply the opposite.

Yes, since it is commercial activity.

* Can a CRI teach aerobatics?

Yes.

HTH.

ifitaint...

BillieBob
19th May 2011, 17:40
Can a CRI teach aerobatics?Until 8 April 2012, anyone can teach aerobatics without needing to hold an instructor rating of any kind. This has been done to death on a number of occasions on this forum.

blagger
19th May 2011, 18:54
How good someone who has had 3hrs training is at doing all those things is another debate though.

Genghis the Engineer
19th May 2011, 20:06
ifitaintBoeing - thank you - that document is one I'd not tracked down, and clarifies things massively.

blagger - quite. One hopes that the proof of the pudding is in the CRI skill test; for myself I'm willing to be tested and if I'm not up to it, retrain or give up - and then take advice from much more experienced instructors wherever it's available. What the general success/pass/fail rate, particularly from 300hr PPLs (about the point in my flying career where I made my greatest every f**k up in the air) however, I have no idea.

Billiebob - Interesting, since I gather that the FI(R)/FI ratings contain a "no aerobatics" restriction don't they? [I'm not an FI, and would not consider myself competent to teach aerobatics even if I was - I just about maintain enough currency to fly basic manoeuvres and get myself out of trouble, so am purely interested.]

G

blagger
20th May 2011, 07:52
The no aeros FI restriction has always been a big anomaly - I don't know whether there has ever been an incident / investigation where an FI has been teaching aeros who hasn't had the restriction removed?

Genghis - don't get me wrong, I have flown with a number of CRIs who are very capable. Equally I've flown with a number who aren't even up to PPL test standard. I think the key is the attitude of the individual - someone who keeps their skills fresh, keeps up to date with legislation, knows their limitations and learns from / is supported by more experienced instructors etc.. will be fine.

Genghis the Engineer
20th May 2011, 09:15
The no aeros FI restriction has always been a big anomaly - I don't know whether there has ever been an incident / investigation where an FI has been teaching aeros who hasn't had the restriction removed?

Ah well, we can all think of safety regulations that seem borne out of imagination rather than reality. I'd start with yellow jackets.

I think that any aviator, and any instructor, should try to continuously seek mentoring and push themselves towards best practice. We all know people who do this superbly (I used to fly a lot with the chap who is now CAA's Chief Test Pilot - he would insist on a full lessons-learned debrief from every flight, no matter how trivial, and I'll bet he still does), and we all know people who - well - don't: who regard their last skill test as a temporary abberation and they can slip back into more relaxed habits now.

I don't think that any branch of pilot has a monopoly on either mode of behaviour - but I can see why a PPL-only CRI should be a matter for concern. Hopefully the courses, skills tests and the periodic revalidations, will work to counter that, in the same way that line checks and company standards should for full time professional aviators.

G

blagger
20th May 2011, 14:29
Unfortunately though a CRI can revalidate by experience and hence go from the initial test without ever flying with an FIE/FIC again! I think every other time should be a test like the FI rating.

ifitaintboeing
20th May 2011, 17:20
Blagger, then the changes afoot for CRIs under EASA won't disappoint you!

Genghis, you will see that CRI Seminars are now available for exactly the reasons you describe. Whilst they are not a requirement, they are an excellent way to keep up to date with the many changes we are facing.

ifitaint

Genghis the Engineer
15th Jul 2011, 10:20
Just an aside - my shiny new CRI rating, having now arrived, does not include the "no aerobatics" phrase I've seen on the licences of pilots with the FI / FI(R) rating.

G

janrein
23rd Jul 2011, 18:57
Hello all,

No too much off-thread I hope is the following observation resp. question.

The pre-entry requirements for a class rating training I understand to be:
- Hold the license (e.g. PPL or CPL) to which to add the desired rating to
- Hold the corresponding Medical (class 2 or 1 respectively)

It is unclear to me however what the training requirements are:
- Any minimum amount of training hours required?
- Or "training as required" at discretion of FI or CRI?

I have browsed through JAR-FCL and LASORS but failed to find the training requirements.

Anyone could clarify on this?

Thank you!

jr

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Jul 2011, 19:55
I'm only somebody who passed the course, not somebody who runs them, but as I understand it the course provider puts together something to meet the learning objectives and gets it approved by the CAA (or presumably other national authorities) - that includes the training provider's judgment of what is required to deliver a candidate who can pass the skill test.

This webpage (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/cri-se.htm) seem to cover the minima very well.

Where I did mine at Denham the minima were 30hrs groundschool and 3 hours flying + the skill test; I believe that the groundschool is the minimum in the regs, but if you add in a couple of "ridealongs" I did in the back of a C172 to observe an experienced instructor at work, I did closer to 6 hours and even that was working stupidly hard.

The 30 hours for me were more than enough - but that's me, with a CPL, and formerly a university lecturer teaching aeronautical engineering. I think that anybody with "only" a PPL and neither higher aeronautical knowledge nor prior teaching experience, is going to really struggle to get ready for their skill test in that time.

The one thing that would have made it easier for me (and I was working stupidly hard) would have been to get more right hand seat time recently during which I practiced flying accurately from that seat and I did mention that to them in the end of course debrief as something that I think Denham (or any other course provider) should advise future course participants to get.

G

S-Works
23rd Jul 2011, 20:30
Janrein,

What are you trying to add?

Ex Oggie
24th Jul 2011, 23:34
Janrein, not quite sure what you are asking, but I suspect this will answer it............

Standards Document 14 (A): JAR-FCL Guidance to Class Rating Examiners - Single Pilot Aeroplanes | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1634)

janrein
28th Jul 2011, 01:55
bose-x, Ex-Oggie,

I see I made it not very clear. My question is about training requirements - if any - for adding an additional rating to a license. For example a PPL(A) holder with TMG rating only wanting to add the SEP rating. Is there a regulatory minimum training requirement or training-as-required? Other example: a CPL(A) holder with SEP rating wanting to add the TMG rating, same question.

The training referred to can be a CRI´s job, hence my question on this thread.

Ex-Oggie thank you for pointing me to JAR-FCL Section F, I had been through that but I had the feeling I missed something, now I think it is probably all there is. In paragraphs 1.261(b) and 1.261(c) I have found the most relevant information for the examples above. Meanwhile I have come to understand there is probably no numerical hour minimum defined, but training must have followed an approved course.

Thanks again

JR

S-Works
28th Jul 2011, 07:08
Ah! Now I understand!

The training is at the discretion of the CRI in order for the candidate to be able to pass a skill test. For some ratings there are a number of elements that need to be covered which are part of the class rating. So for example someone going from a ML to a SSEA would need to meet the requirements of the SSEA, stall and spin awareness training as an example.

It is up to the CRI/FI conducting the training to ensure he requirements have been met. In the case of the NPPL it is all quite well load out on the NPPL website. For a JAA licence it's a case of looking at the requirements for each class rating.

Nothing to difficult.

janrein
28th Jul 2011, 08:25
Thanks bose-x!

JR

squawking 7700
29th Jul 2011, 17:41
Bose,
You seem to be the font of all knowledge - I currently hold a SEP CRI rating (JAR PPL).
I'd like to add a TMG rating to enable me to do biennials in the gliding club motorglider for the instructors with a MGIR and SLMG PPL holders.

Any advice on the route to a TMG rating and would adding that rating automatically convey CRI status on TMG/NPPL SLMG?

AIUI the easiest way to a TMG rating is to complete the necessary training to satisfy NPPL SLMG requirements and then apply to the CAA for a TMG rating although LASORS states 75 P1 hours on type required (but I think this means 75 P1 hours SEP or SLMG not SLMG only).

Your thoughts?

blagger
29th Jul 2011, 20:51
7700 - as a JAR PPL holder you just need to do training at the judgement of the FI/CRI to pass the TMG class rating test. A few hours should be fine. Pass the test and pay the rating addition fee to the CAA and you then add a TMG rating to your licence. A TMG rating is the appropiate JAR-FCL rating, it covers SLMG privileges. You need 15 hours on class to exercise instructional privileges in that class (see LASORS Sect H).

If you can wait to post-end Aug I should be able to do your test if you need someone.

S-Works
30th Jul 2011, 08:04
7700, as says the answer is yes. As a CRI SE you are able to teach any SE Class that you hold on your licence provided you meet the experience requirements. The same goes if you were to add an SET Class such as the Cessna Caravan or Finist.

squawking 7700
30th Jul 2011, 14:23
blagger & bose - thanks both.

blagger, are you a TMG examiner? as AIUI you need to be in order to sign off the test (and it is a test for TMG addition whereas it's not for SLMG NPPL) - and as I've found out, there aren't too many TMG examiners around but plenty of instructors for SLMG NPPL who can sign of the necessary paperwork.

The thing is, I want to get it sorted before EASA kicks in to secure what may become 'grandfather rights'.
Back up plan is to see Clive Stainer at Hinton if my local source of instruction proves uncommitted.

blagger
1st Aug 2011, 08:56
7700 - should be able to do TMG tests post 26 Aug if all goes well!

squawking 7700
2nd Aug 2011, 16:47
blagger - thanks for that, I'll bear it in mind and drop you a pm toward the end of August.

Where are you in the UK? I'm Midlands (Notts/Derby) but don't mind a commute to get the job done.
And do you have a motorglider available?

14th Apr 2015, 07:16
I plan to start a CRI SEP course soon.
What kind of reading do you think I should do before starting the course?

Ex Oggie
14th Apr 2015, 08:59
Ask the ATO where you are doing your training. They should have a list of recommended reading that works alongside the course they teach.

Additionally, get fully up to speed on regulations and type/class specific info.

XO

jaycee58
15th Apr 2015, 00:04
I did my CRI course at Andrewsfield last year. At the time I only had 350 hours total time so I was a bit worried about what the course would be like and whether I would be up to it. I only have a bog standard PPL. I revised almost the entire PPL syllabus before starting the course and Andrewsfield sent me a list comprising about 200 questions that I went through before starting the course. All of this proved very worthwhile. If you just roll up without having good theoretical knowledge and knowledge of the ANO etc. then you really will struggle to do well.

My day started at 8am, swatting up or writing briefings, followed by a full day of study and flying at the airfield then more study and perfecting my briefings till 10pm.

You get thrown in at the deep end at Andrewsfield. Within a couple of hours of arriving there I was standing in front of an instructor giving a pre-flight briefing on stalls. At the end of 5 days you'll be expected to have produced good short briefings on circuits, PFLs, stalls, circuits etc. plus a long (45 minute) brief on a topic decided by the examiner. My long brief was tailwheel conversions. Your briefings will be scrutinised and picked apart, line by line!

The test itself, from start to finish, was over 4 hours long. This included giving a pre-flight briefing, the flight itself, a long brief and general questioning. Carol Cooper was my examiner. I wasn't perfect (who is?) but being told I'd passed the course was a great feeling.

Other good ideas:- I hadn't flown a Cessna 152 for 3 years or so before doing the course. I wish I'd spent a couple of hours with an FI in one before starting the course. A few hours in the RHS with an FI would have helped as well, though to be honest, flying from the right seat didn't really cause me any problems, possibly because my my own aeroplane is flown with throttle in left hand and stick in right hand.

Although, ultimately, your knowledge and skills will get you through the test, arriving at your chosen flight school with enthusiasm, a positive attitude and good theoretical knowledge will go a long way in helping you to achieve the CRI rating.

I really enjoy instructing and hope to have an FI rating within a couple of years.