PDA

View Full Version : MagniCharter Incident MMGL

Bob Lenahan
28th Apr 2009, 17:27
Apparently a MagniCharter 732 landed gear-up. Anybody have any add'l info?

Bob.

SeniorDispatcher
28th Apr 2009, 17:34
Here you go...

ASN Aircraft accident Boeign 737-2K9 XA-MAF ? Guadalajara-Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla International Airport (GDL) (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20090427-0)

Jofm5
28th Apr 2009, 17:43
XA-MAF was the plane

Info an pic here :- Accident: Magnicharters B732 at Guadalajara on Apr 27th 2009, main gear up landing, engine fire (http://avherald.com/h?article=418c39e0&opt=0)

DeeCee
29th Apr 2009, 10:47
I loved the comment quote; 'I was on that plane last week and everything seemed normal'

llondel
29th Apr 2009, 11:34
I loved the comment quote; 'I was on that plane last week and everything seemed normal'

Surprising how often that happens. I was on G-VSKY on 4th Nov 1997 flying into LAX, everything was perfectly normal. When it got back to LHR the following day, less than the regulation number of wheels came down. There was no hint of that the day before...

From the picture it looks like a good landing, well done the crew. I notice the report says it landed on the nosegear and the engine pods - are they really robust enough to take that sort of abrasion? Are they designed to withstand ground contact, given that it's going to happen if there's a gear malfunction.

Rainboe
29th Apr 2009, 11:49
Yes, the cowlings would not take much crumpling, but the engine casings and engine supports would probably take all the load as long as you didn't pile it in. You wouldn't be using the engine again though! There would be severe trauma on the engine supports, and the inboard flaps would not be happy. Fotr a -200, almost certainly 'beyond economical repair'. Actual wheels up landings on concrete can be remarkably bland, with just limited damage as long as both wheels are up and the roll out is straight ahead, not twisting. The trail of sparks must have been spectacular! I was abeam a tailstrike of an Eastern Airlines A300 once and it looked like a grenade explosion with a lot of sparks and smoke. It was startling, but the crew were completely unaware of it. They sounded rather hacked off when we told them!