PDA

View Full Version : A300 PMC failure & Auto-land

EGKK.
16th Mar 2009, 13:33
Hi all,

Can someone be kind enough to explain why the aircraft is unable to perform an auto-land with the PMCs switched off?

I've read every where i can to find the info with no luck.

MEL states that it affects the A/L capability and i know this is fact but i don't know why...

Thanks.

hetfield
16th Mar 2009, 14:15
According my MEL ENG TRIM OFF doesn't affect Land Capability.

regards

EGKK.
16th Mar 2009, 14:46
Auto-land...

tubby linton
16th Mar 2009, 15:26
An A300 I recently flew with this fault had been downgraded to CAT2 in the Techlog following information from the MEL.The aircraft however showed land 3 as the auto thrust can be reset after gear retraction.
Our mel has seperate pages for autoland related items,but does not have an entry for engine trim fault only pmc fault..
Airbus mel incorrect-surely not!!!

hetfield
16th Mar 2009, 16:19
Auto-land...

Yes, of course.

EGKK.
16th Mar 2009, 16:32
So why the downgrade to CAT 2?

How does the PMC affect this...?

tubby linton
16th Mar 2009, 16:59
Auto thrust has to be available for a CAT3 but not CAT2.

hetfield
16th Mar 2009, 17:32
Auto thrust has to be available for a CAT3 but not CAT2.Yes, but A/THR is available in SPD MODE with ENG TRIM off. (PCM fail) .

Curious, at least to say.....

tubby linton
16th Mar 2009, 17:35
It wouldn't be the first time that a contradiction has been found in an Airbus mel!

hetfield
16th Mar 2009, 17:40
It wouldn't be the first time that a contradiction has been found in an Airbus mel!

Fully agree!!!

If I would have listet all the bugs of various AB MEL, I could write a book of that....

AND, they were/are all approved by state authority;)

Lol

EGT Redline
16th Mar 2009, 20:00
I suspect there is a discrepency with the MEL. There is no reason why it should affect the aircraft autoland status as all ATS modes are available with PMC inoperative. The only operational limitation is the requirement to set engine power manually on T/O, however ATS can be re-engaged after gear retraction. The engines are also susceptible to throttle stagger with ENG TRIM selected off and some minor 'tweaking' of the thrust levers may be necessary to adjust N1 to their respective targets.

tubby/EGKK - you are welcome to contact the engineering line office if you ever have a technical query, we'll be more than happy to help.....:ok: