PDA

View Full Version : "Heavy" ATC Phraseology in Canada

marcusaurelious
13th Mar 2009, 20:54
Hi Guys-

When in contact with Moncton or Gander, is it necessary to say "Heavy" with every transmission (presuming you are heavy, of course), or is it necessary only on the initial transmission, if at all?

Thanks for your help.

MA

crazy woman
13th Mar 2009, 22:35
Yes. I guess you could use 'FAT'. It's only one sylable.

227driver
13th Mar 2009, 23:25
It should be done on initial contact only. It doesn't seem to be a big deal if you forget. Sometimes the controllers will mention it on the first call if you do forget.

Somehow, I think it's more important to mention it when you're making that first call to a departure, arrival, approach or tower controller. In areas that are more congested.

sec 3
14th Mar 2009, 06:35
Speak for yourself crazy lady:}

Yobbo
15th Mar 2009, 11:58
Initial contact only. It is a North American thing , never heard in Europe or the Far East.

BelArgUSA
15th Mar 2009, 19:46
Say your flight + heavy when on tower, departure, and aproach frequencies.
Ground frequency... dont think you have much of a wake, unless taxiing fast.
xxx
Higher, in climb, cruise and descent, I never used.
When you listen to US airplanes, they are "heavy" everywhere.
With Khabarovsk or Curitiba... I dont think they know what "Evvy" is.
From clearance delivery or HF enroute at FL450... Some status symbol maybe...?
xxx
:ugh:
Happy contrails

galaxy flyer
15th Mar 2009, 21:01
BelArgUSA

Quite agree, only required within the terminal area, but so much willy-waving otherwise.

GF

namsham
15th Mar 2009, 22:16
Use the word "heavy" at the end of your call sign on the initial contact with ALL Canadian ATC freqs incl ground. After the initial call it can be dropped.
Transport Canada Aeronautical Information Manual TP 14371 CHAPTER 5.8 refers.
Outside of Canada the NAV Canada AIP (ICAO) provides guidance:
Differences from ICAO Standards,Recommended Practices and Procedures
Table 1.7 Part 1 Chapter 3 3.7.3.1 c):
In Canada pilots are not required to read back runway in use , altimeter settings or SSR codes. Transition levels are not issued.

Outside of Canada then, there is no requirement to say the word "heavy".

The TC AIM and Nav Canada AIP can be downloaded from their websites.
If you want to know the international language of aviation, which is completely different than the language spoken in Canada by Canadian pilots, you can download CAP 413 from the UK CAA at http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413.PDF. (It provides a section at the end which advises the UK differences from ICAO). No similar document is published by the Canadian regulatory authorities which is one reason why most Canadian R/T is non-standard compared to the rest of the world.

It is worth noting the word "point" doesn't exist in the international language of aviation as given by ICAO - as in "oudda three point five for four". What you say is "passing altitude three thousand five hundred feet climbing to altitude four thousand feet".
Also you don't request the "altimeter setting" from ATC as they are likely to come back and ask which one you want .. the QNH, QFE or QNE? Most places in the world you will probably want to request the "QNH".

I haven't referred to the USA - they do their own thing no matter what country they're in.

Bullethead
16th Mar 2009, 07:04
Some status symbol maybe...?

Must be, the real big fat airyplane, the A3ugly is called "SOOOPAH" :yuk:

Regards,
BH.

Yobbo
17th Mar 2009, 00:17
Try flying in Australia for non standard terminology. They have developed their own R/T procedures quite different from the rest of the world.

J.O.
17th Mar 2009, 01:01
Canada may not be perfect users of the Queen's phraseology but it's head and shoulders above the USA. And neither of them uses the standard VHF radio frequency to "practise" emergencies.

er340790
13th Apr 2009, 16:15
You're not kidding. On first flight into TMS after moving over from Europe in 2004, was advised to hold while a Moose was cleared from the apron area. Was quite keen to see my first Murphy Moose...

But no, it was a real 700 lb Alces alces.

:O

grizzled
13th Apr 2009, 23:51
marcus -- Namsham got it right. The rule in Canada is that you should state "heavy" or "super" as appropriate on initial contact (and only on initial contact) for each frequency change.

G

Thylakoid
14th Apr 2009, 07:20
Crazywoman, "fat" would not be politically correct in Canada. I believe you should say "weightily challenged," or something to that effect :)

MarkD
16th Apr 2009, 23:11
Given a recent ruling, I thought the aviation reference was where you buy one seat and are entitled to a second (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22599803/)...