PDA

View Full Version : Flight crew versus Flight Deck

mona lot
31st Jan 2009, 23:31
Why is it a lot of the cabin (read cabin crew) insist on calling The Flight Crew the Flight Deck? Is it a term of disrespect or is it just a sign of poor grammar?

The flight deck is inanimate (especially in my airline) and is a place where the flight crew work.

I am looking forward to my Coffee surprise!

BelArgUSA
1st Feb 2009, 00:23
I worked with PanAm... 1969 to 1991.
So, might not be much of a correct Oxford English language reference.
I speak like they do in Yankistan.
In the cockpit, we often referred to "call the cabin", when meaning "call the flight attendants".
I am certain, the cabin staff used something like "call the cockpit" or "call the flight deck".
I agree with you, Mona... strange airline crew grammar and vocabulary.
I never called passengers SLF... I often wrote PAX, our "abbreviation".
xxx
Is like those of us, pilots and flight engineers saying "the girls" to refer to male and female cabin staff.
Comes maybe from the long gone days when the large majority of them were ladies
I honestly do not believe we meant to be demeaning in talking like that...
xxx
For the last few years, I worked with crews of Spanish language.
There again, I heard them say "los pilotos" even to include a flight engineer.
Or us to say "la cabina" when referring to the cabin staff.
xxx
I love proper language, at least in English...
But what can we do about it...?
Look at Pprune forums, and cry like I do, about English language and spelling...
Excusable for people speaking other languages, BUT NOT for Anglo Saxons.
And I am not even Anglo Saxon...!
xxx
All the best -
:ok:
Happy contrails

411A
1st Feb 2009, 03:29
Our cabin crew refer to the folks up front as...the cockpit, or sometimes... the tech crew.

The pilots refer to the back end workers as...the cabin.

The guy/gal in charge of the cabin crew is called...cabin chief, or simply...chief.

bucket_and_spade
1st Feb 2009, 15:09
There's a few in my company who take issue with being called "flight deck". I just can't get excited about it either way - does it matter? I don't think so. Needless to say, I've got over it :ok:

B&S

Spitoon
1st Feb 2009, 15:57
Just a slight diversion, if I may.

Out of curiosity, how do you describe the pax? And I wonder how some of the terms I've heard used by aircraft crew over the years would go down with the pax themselves?

411A
1st Feb 2009, 16:11
Passengers.

Anything else is bad form...as, after all, they pay for your salary.
Yes, I know, they can be a pain at times, but....so can some crew:}:rolleyes:

TheGorrilla
2nd Feb 2009, 00:58
Alcoholics and Tarts??? :}

Frankly Mr Shankly
2nd Feb 2009, 17:54
Which one's which??????

bossan
5th Feb 2009, 09:02
Could have sworn that they were called " Lemmings ":=

boardingpass
5th Feb 2009, 10:44
We sometimes refer to the pilots as the Tamagotchis, because they need constant feeding and cups of tea and attention.

Bad Aviator
5th Feb 2009, 12:10
At our place we were all Flight Deck Crew because we had both pilots and flight engineers. This somehow got contracted to "Flightdeck" but not further shortened to "Pilot" when our 747-200s went.

aseanaero
8th Feb 2009, 10:03
"Tamagotchis, because they need constant feeding and cups of tea and attention."

That's cute and clever :-)

mona lot
8th Feb 2009, 18:12
"According to Bandai the name is a portmanteau combining the Japanese word "たまご" (tamago) which means "egg", and the English word "watch" (as in timepieces)

Boarding pass, not a good analogy, Tomagotchis have too much personality!

Ten West
8th Feb 2009, 18:39
I don't think there's any disrespect intended.

The crewing department at my airline is split into Pilots and Cabin Crew options. The idea being that when someone rings up they can talk straight to the relevant department.

The Pilot option used to say "If you are a flight crew member, please press 1". Trouble is, Cabin Crews regarded themselves as Flight Crew too, and so would press the wrong option and get through to someone who didn't have access to the relevant systems.

We now separate it into "Pilots" and "Cabin Crew" for ease of reference, but the desks in my office are still known as "Cabin Crew" and "Flight Deck".

Doesn't mean anything either way. It's just a term of reference. Both are needed before a flight can depart anyway!