PDA

View Full Version : American in Canada

HVYMETLDRIVERWANNABE
25th Jan 2009, 12:57
Hi I was just looking for some advice...

I've been looking online and it looks like AirCanada is hiring at 1000TT. I'm an American pilot and perhaps early next year I will be moving up north to Canada and was wondering what the odds are of me getting hired by a Canadian carrier. From the research I've done It seems to transfer my licenses I just need to take the Canadian air law exam and a checkride? Is this accurate.

I already have the flight time now but will be going into the ARMY RES. and will be gone until November, but after that I'll be in search of a job. I'm not sure how the Army will react to me living in Canada but I wouldn't see it being a big deal since its Canada and I'll probably be shooting for Montreal or Vancouver...

Anyways how hard is it for an American to pick up a flying job up North?

thx in advance

Glorified Donkey
25th Jan 2009, 14:39
Air Canada states 1000hr TT, but in reality they hire guys with 4000-6000hrs, with turboprop PIC time, northern experience and sometimes with corporate jet PIC time. 1000hrs might get you into Jazz if you are very lucky but the airlines including Westjet never hire with the minimums stated. 3000hrs is the absolute minimum you would see yourself in the right seat of a commercial jet, or left seat in a heavy turboprop.

And that of course is if you have the legal right to work here. There are no sponsorships for this profession

Rotorhead1026
26th Jan 2009, 02:12
3000hrs is the absolute minimum you would see yourself in the right seat of a commercial jet, or left seat in a heavy turboprop

A very few get lucky and beat the odds, but you generally have to know someone.

The license transfer is easier than you think.

Flight Crew Licensing - Conversion Agreement between U.S. and Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/personnel/USConversion.htm)

You can start on the RTW stuff here ...

Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp)

Miami, huh? BRRRRRRRRR... :eek:

HVYMETLDRIVERWANNABE
26th Jan 2009, 09:29
thx for the info, im just testing the waters

and I used to live in North Dakota before Miami so I can deal with the cold:ok: