PDA

View Full Version : Low pass - when is rwy occupied?

Quintilian
22nd Jan 2009, 07:50
Hi.

If an ac is doing a low pass/flyby, how low can it go before the runway is seen as occupied? I seem to remember something about 500 ft agl, but can't find the reference in 4444 etc.

Anybody out there that can help me?

/th

Dan Dare
22nd Jan 2009, 10:19
From (UK CAP493) MATS Part 1 page 2.1.14

18 Missed Approach Restrictions

18.1 If the runway in use is occupied by aircraft or vehicles, an approaching aircraft shall not be cleared to carry out a missed approach procedure which includes a descent below 400 feet above the threshold elevation. When the missed approach instruction is restricted to 400 feet or above the pilot is to be informed of the aircraft or vehicles on the runway.
18.2 The runway in use shall be kept clear of aircraft and vehicles if an approaching aircraft is likely to descend below 400 feet above the threshold elevation.

does this mean that I'm not to be sent arround if I have descended below 400 feet awaiting landing clearance? :}

Quintilian
22nd Jan 2009, 11:55
Thanx, but this is an uk- only regulation. I,m currently attending college with a multi-national attendance without local or national regulation covering this.

Could there be anything about this in 8168?

Spitoon
22nd Jan 2009, 16:32
The UK rules were written because there was nothing specified by ICAO - as far as I know there is still no international standard.

Dan, good question. A case of not thinking the rule through before writing it....

DB6
22nd Jan 2009, 16:59
If it's a low pass/flyby as opposed to a missed approach I think it's governed by Rule 5 in the UK (no closer than 500 ft to persons, vessels etc etc.). I imagine the ICAO equivalent will apply outside the UK.

Spitoon
22nd Jan 2009, 17:28
I guess that rather depends on whether the aerodrome is licensed or not and whether you consider a go-around to be normal aviation practice.

supraspinatus
22nd Jan 2009, 19:49
Minimum altitudes are 500ft above terrain and 1000ft above populated areas. you're only allowed to go below if you're landing or taking off.
Since the runway mostly isn't populated (other than birds just waiting to make a fly-by just in front of the next 737) I guess 500ft and above does not count as using the runway, ergo ....

Quintilian
22nd Jan 2009, 20:14
This is only valid for VFR ...

In our cases at school most fly-bys are made by IFR; ergo 1000 ft over terrain or 2000 ft over montaineous areas are valid. This in most cases are bollocks, cause most IFRs doing low passes will go below 1000 ft for their fly-by.

TH

QSY en route
3rd Feb 2009, 14:34
From a Mil perspective I recall:

Cleared to overshoot = the runway is yours come down as low as you like

High overshoot not below 500 feet = the runway is not yours and I'll tell you why.

Faranella
3rd Feb 2009, 17:56
If you clear an a/c for a low approach good practice is to keep the runway free in case of ...

For instance if a B747 is making an approach and apply power to climb at his minima the wheels will be very close to touching the ground.