PDA

View Full Version : correct procedure in case of an emergency water landing

sticky_beaver
18th Jan 2009, 11:09
We all know about recently miricle on the Hudson river, where 57 years old flight captain Chesley Sullenberger sucesfully ditched boeing 320 into the Hudson river near Manhattan.
But I can't find the data about how he succeeded that hard manoeuvre and what is the correct procedure (by FAA) in case of emergency water landing.

I predict that captain (when he found out that he lost all the thrust), lowered the nose of a plane so he reached best glide speed (190 KIAS for A320), but what he did after that, how he landed on the water?

Did he add full flaps and slow the plane down to Vs0 speed (minimum flight speed in landing configuration) and than maintain normal landing attitude (5-7° nose up with level wings), until the plane touch down the water.

What about the fuel? Plane probably had some fuel, did captain dump the feul prior the ditching. This way plane will be lighter maning Vs0 speed will be lower + it will easier float on the water.

And how come that plane almost completly sinked, isn't fuselage water tight if it is air tight, front doors and emergency exits above the wings where above the water line. Could passangers wait in the plane, until rescue teams will come?

BelArgUSA
18th Jan 2009, 16:18
Ditching procedures vary.
As per type of airplane, as per airline policies and procedures.
If I read my procedure, it is only correct for my aircraft and my airline.
One thing to remember -
Any takeoff near water, you might be ditching 10 seconds after lift-off...
Crews are well aware and trained for that, cockpit or cabin crews.
And passengers should read safety diagrams first, rather than duty-free catalogs.
xxx
Today's Pprune topic is ditching immediately after takeoff.
Last week subject was aborted takeoff and evacuation with fire, Denver 737.
Then before, was BA 777 landing short at LHR with no power....
Knock on wood, there will be no other favorite topic for a few months.
Or just "how to become a pilot" and "who is hiring 250 hrs pilots"...?
xxx
:}
Happy contrails

PENKO
18th Jan 2009, 20:28
With no engines powering the hydraulics, you cannot select any flaps. Only slats.. Even if he had flaps, he would have to maintain enough speed to keep the ram air turbine turning happily in order to pressurize the flightcontrols. So no slowing down!!

In the meantime, the FO would not have working screens, just to mention a few things. Unless they had the foresight to start the APU at the first hint of engine trouble.

BOAC
19th Jan 2009, 20:45
I don't think I am believing what I am reading here:confused: - someone having a laugh?

point8six
20th Jan 2009, 07:41
Ask Sully and his crew - their correct procedure seemed to turn out alright.:ok:

IGh
20th Jan 2009, 12:54
From SB, re' loss of all engine Apprch Procedures: "... can't find the data about ... manoeuvre and ... the correct procedure (by FAA) ... when he ... lost all the thrust ... best glide speed ... Did he add full flaps and slow ...?"

See the objection by SHK way back in 1992, in their CONCLUSION #17:

= = = = \/ = = = EXCERPT = = = \/ = = =

Statens haverikommission
SHK Board of Accident Investigation
Stockholm Sweden

Report C 1993:57
Case L-124/91
OY-KHO, Douglas DC-9-81 (MD-81)
Time of incident: 27-12-1991, 0851 hrs Swedish normal time
Place: Gottrora, AB County (pos 5946N 1808E)
After approx. 25 seconds flight the right engine started to surge. ... the engine stopped delivering thrust 51 seconds after the surges had started.

... 65 seconds the left engine also started to surge... this engine also lost thrust. This happened two seconds after the right engine had failed....

3 Conclusions ...

3.1 Findings ...
#17 The emergency/malfunction checklist ... did not include sufficient instructions regarding speed and flap position for approach and landing with ... with both engines unserviceable...

4 Recommendations

The Board of accident Investigation recommends …
[AAR pg 88] …

4 seek the addition to the emergency/malfunction checklist of instructions for emergency landing in the case of loss of thrust from both engines, = = = end excerpt = = =
Does the A320 FCOM include those procedures????