PDA

View Full Version : What is it that make ground Engineers dislike Pilots ?

Hold position
16th Jan 2009, 05:27
Have you ever wonder why engineers dislike pilots? Is it the uniform? the money, live style, girls or they just think that pilot don’t know what they doing and they don’t deserve the glorified image they have, or is it because lots of them are failed pilot and never made it .these are not necessary my views as am happen to get on very well with must of the engineers I worked with but I always wonder why is it the way it is.

seat 0A
16th Jan 2009, 06:52
Which girls?:}
Most of the engineers I meet are very professional and friendly. I do not recognise your description of them at all.
But perhaps you spread your opinion of them a bit too much? :uhoh:

fade to grey
16th Jan 2009, 07:26
I don't agree with the description of the OP at all - all the engineers I have met have been friendly.

Don't forget they only lend you the aircraft and god forbid you go and break it....

handflown
16th Jan 2009, 07:36
Hold Position.
Your post proves why SOME engineers don't like SOME pilots. Because people like you come out with stuff like

Is it the uniform? the money, live style, girls or they just think that pilot don’t know what they doing and they don’t deserve the glorified image they have

I personally never have a problem with Engineers as I don't come out with cocky comments like you. I work with them and help them. In return they help me when the chips are down!!! I often surprise them when I offer to do things like put the pitot covers on or turn the O2 off when putting the plane to bed. Its about co-operation and we are all on the same team.

Also you may want to realise that allot of Engineers earn more than allot of Pilots with their own allowances and overtimes.

Hold position
16th Jan 2009, 07:59
It was just a teasing remarks and I did say it was not necessary my opinion I was just having discussion with an engineer friend and want to see what Joe public think ?

Jet II
16th Jan 2009, 08:01
Have you ever wonder why engineers dislike pilots? Is it the uniform? have exactly the same uniform even down to the 4 gold bars - just choose not to be seen dead in it

the money, The money is not as vastly different as you might think

live style, Hmm, sitting next to some boring clown for 10 hours listening to stories about his ex-wives is not my idea of 'fun'

girls I've never found a shortage of girls

or they just think that pilot don’t know what they doing some do - some dont

and they don’t deserve the glorified image they have, some do - some don't ;)

or is it because lots of them are failed pilot and never made it . Have spent enough hours doing flying engineer to know that that type of job would not be of any interest to me

Most engineers get on well with most flight crew - if you dont get on well with your engineers then it's probably because you are not offering them a coffee when then come onto the flight deck :ok:

FLYENG
16th Jan 2009, 08:56
Interesting Question. As a serving Emb Capt with 10 years commercial flying experience and 15 years as a Boeing Licenced Engineer I do remember a number of Pilots taking a condiscending and overbearing attitude toward me when I was engineering(but that was Britannia/Thomson). Personnely, I did,nt tar all Pilots with the same brush but some of my engineering colleages did, thus a degree of hostility. Maybe human nature to assume "they,re all the same". I can say I,ve worked and flown with some top people and also some absolute assholes.

Fork Handles
16th Jan 2009, 09:40
Well for me it would be the girls, my striking good looks and uncanny resemblance to Lennard Capstan (reinvented a leonardo de caprio) in " catch me if you can". Most engs I meet smell of oil and wee.:ok:

Flyeng,
Which military arm operates Emb type.
Im curious as you say you are a "serving Emb Capt".
Do you mean "currently a".

Do you say "at this time" alot as well.
Just curious:}:ok:

Seymour Skinner
16th Jan 2009, 09:44
What made you think the Terms and Endearment forum was the best place for this pointless question?

Nightrider
16th Jan 2009, 10:06
I don't like the picture that engineers may not like pilots. There is certainly the attitude amongst some of our colleagues that engineers should not touch a perfectly well working machine.
There is also the attitude amongst some of the engineers that pilots should not touch an aircraft as otherwise it may return in a broken state.

There are no Jack Patronies out there who can fix all and sundry in more or less unconvential ways; this, of course, is also valid for pilots, there are no heroes who can bring an aircraft back with all sort of things broken and not follow any logical procedure.

The past has shown, and the future will proof this without any doubt, we are all sitting in the same boat. If there are no pilots to operate, no aircraft will fly, enginners will be just "daily checkers"; pilots cannot operate if engineers do not provide a workable machine. We need to work together. In all respects.

And about the environmental issues, well, this comes down to the individual. There are pilots and also engineers who have their fair share of entertainment as they desire. Others just follow their job as they are supposed to and find their outside world at home with friends and family.

Is there actually a difference to other industries? I doubt very much, change the names, change the skills and you will find all these "off-the-job" thingies as well....

16th Jan 2009, 23:51
I worked for a major carrier for 25 years as a ground engineer and maintenance manager. I went to the cockpit 15 years ago. The major problem the ground engineers have is the turnovers. Many crew member get to the gate or stand and just bitch about their problems instead of explaining it in a civil tone. This set up a bad situtation that is reflected back on all crews. The engineer will go back to the line shack and tell his fellow workers and that's how it starts. It has nothing to do with the life style or pay. In fact, many ground engineers make more money that a F/O.

18-Wheeler
17th Jan 2009, 02:43
I always get on with the engineers quite well, I guyess partly because I understand machinery quite well and can talk their language. I also understand what their job entails and give them their space to do it.

Atlanta-Driver
17th Jan 2009, 05:11
AAI engineers are, or certainly where better paid and had a much better contract than us pilots. Reason for that was we have no unity and we contractors failed to form a union, to managements delight, when we had the chance. Why would they envy pilots if we can't even get our own act together?

Maintenance people are pretty much on the same line and have similar interests and thus are better off than pilots. Again why would they feel animosity towards pilots?

If I ever wanted to know where to go what to buy and what bars or restaurants where good or I wanted to have good fun, I went out with engineers. Most of them are not a bunch of primadonnas with bad preconceptions like many of us pilots.

I never have ran into engineers that would fit the description of the original post, most of them a good lot and tons of fun to go out with and work together, many professional to the core.

Heracles
20th Jan 2009, 05:37
Be VERY careful:= here HoldShort.
I've gladly just lurked here, until I read this post. I submit, sir, that YOUR Engineers do not dislike pilots, they may instead dislike YOU.
Myself,, I'm "just an engineer",, a monkey with a wrench, a cog in your big machine. Except,, this monkey has 14000 flying hours,, 337 COMBAT flying hours,, 300 + COMBAT SUPPORT hours,, flight engineer qualified on no less than 6 aircraft in 3 seperate catagories. I've flown, bag dragged, drank, grazed buffets, drank, whor* hopped, knee walked, played vampire for the "back side of the clock"' on 6 of this planet's 7 continents. I've sweated check rides with waaay tooo anal check airmen,, hell, I was! a check airman on 3 different ships for 2 different airlines.
I, sir, can say "nothing from the minibar" in 7 languages. lol

I also speak fluent 747,, cuz i flew them, as well as "round motors". I now deal with "aerospace gods" from no less than 3 airlines on a daily basis; sure there are individuals that don't play well. But by and large EVERY Capt, FO, and SO that I deal with is an open, honest, and at the core, professional... And recognizes me as the same. I just chose to stop chasing a job around the planet,, and to go to bed at night, in the same bed, with the same woman.
Cheers, good luck on your chosen vocation.

Heracles
20th Jan 2009, 06:00
I wrote the above post to prove a point. Much like mentioned above; we have much more in common than your initial post implies. We all have our ups and downs, good days and bad trips,,,, And EVERYONE in this industry is in their own CHOSEN boat.
My only advice might be to make sure you know what parameters of your operation your engineer/mechanic REALLY has control over, before casting such a broad opinion. Again,best of luck.

EAM
20th Jan 2009, 08:16
the money,

yea, fore sure, its the money. Pilots get paid quite bad these days in a lot of companies.
Anyway, an Engineer wearing 3 stipes on his shoulder told me one day:
"You know what the stripes stand for? 1k for each one, both sides togather" ;)

Found alomst all Engineers very friendly, so maybe you should change the way how you tread them and they will be more friendly even to you.:}

African Drunk
21st Jan 2009, 15:00
It is probably because we break things.

411A
22nd Jan 2009, 00:13
Don't know about some ground engineers, but ours seem to really appreciate the flight crews....especially when two of our senior captains recommended an additional bonus for them because of truly outstanding maintenance ops during the last Haj flights.
Management complied...everyone pleased.
Pilots should well remember...airplane AOG, nobody benefits...including pilots.
This is especially true in the airline charter business.

rosenblad
5th Feb 2009, 18:46
Hi!

I would like to reply to this question as an aircraft engineer (retired) with SAS. I have worked with hundreds of pilots for many years, and there are very few pilots I have not liked! We had a very close cooperation with our pilots and those who flew for other airlines we serviced. I guess what I really am saying is that you yourself might be the problem!

Best Wishes,
Tom

BelArgUSA
6th Feb 2009, 12:27
I get along with most engineers (they call mechanics in N America)...
Like I also get along with other pilots and flight engineers.
There were pilots, flight engineers and ground engineers I did dislike.
Or they disliked me equally.
xxx
I flew my career in 3 crewmember planes. Captain, F/O and F/E...
Many of the F/Es were former engineers. Appreciate their technical knowledge.
And how to troubleshoot and fix the plane.
On charter flights, off line, we get an engineer to fly along with us.
After taking care of the airplane, they join pilots for a beer.
And in the flight deck, they are good company. Tea or coffee, guys...?
I have a mechanic taking care of my little Piper L-21.
He trades free maintenance, for learning to fly and free flying.
And since he fixes it, I know he does it good, or he will... crash...!
xxx
The engineers I hate are the ones with toolbox only containing pencil and eraser.
:eek:
Happy contrails

gubaclagan
8th Feb 2009, 21:16
Let me add a little food for thought for those who made or making a living from this industry......"Now pilots are highly trained people, and wings are not easily won. But not the work of the maintenance man, our pilots would march with a gun. So when you see the mighty aircraft as they mark their way through the air, the greased-stained-man with a wrench in his hand - is the man who put him there!"
Have had several pilots (4 or 3 bars) encountered as if they have nine lives ass-uming they knew everything about flying. SOME look down at mechanics (engineers) as mere peanuts.
On the otherhand, THERE ARE pilots who can be as good socially and technically considering the mechanics as their partners in the field of aviation.
Have had more than 40 years in this field beginning as a greasy mechanic, maintenance supervisor, quality control assurance inspector, resident technical representative and a professional chief/check flight engineer - that's why I know the whole lot between a mechanic and a pilot! Happy Flying....:ok:
Den

crotchrocket
16th Feb 2009, 10:11
No no, you got it all wrong....Its not that they dislike pilots, they just dont like you! :yuk:

bcgallacher
16th Feb 2009, 12:23
Good to hear from my old friend gublacagan - engineers dont hate aircrew in general only the arrogant ones who wont let us do our jobs or think they have more technical knowledge than us.I had one last year who had a minor problem with a 747 - when I informed him I had seen the same snag many times as I had been with 747s for 30 years he told me he didnt care how much experience I had. Found out later he had little time on 747.Some crews are magic to work with, they understand we are all in the same business and help us do our job - give us decent log descriptions of snags and are able to answer questions.Basically all we want is to be treated with the professional respect we deserve.Had one F/E give a 3 page write up about engine vibration and pylon overheat without managing to tell maintenance which engine and pylon.Its mainly attitude that pisses me off - had one young F/o call me a liar in public- only once!Have been on Hadj operations which were absolutely great fun because of the crew/maintenance relationship and been on others that were a nightmare because we had crews that were not suited to that kind of operation.
Just as an aside I am a happy man today - got my travel instructions to go back to work after 8 months off due cancer surgery - a good feeling.

White Knight
18th Feb 2009, 02:36
Well - I really like my spanner wielding grease monkey engineering colleagues 'cos they fix what I break:D Thanks fellahs..........

Bus429
18th Feb 2009, 12:52
I've met many good pilots and a few 'orrible pilots but the trend is not very different from every walk of life. (There is one pilot who does really grate...411something...)
As I have mentioned before, most pilots I know can't add (the hours and cycles) and are as tight as ducks' bottoms.:}

Bus429
18th Feb 2009, 17:43
I'm always wary of going out to dinner with them though and try and avoid it whenever possible after too many incidents of "ok who had the peas", and "I only had one poppadom so make sure to deduct the 12c off my share of the bill", while the F/E whips out his calculator to work it out to two places after the decimal ....

I rest my case; been there, seen it, been done:eek:

TheGorrilla
19th Feb 2009, 10:36
Ah, the only species on earth that goes looking for a filthier, cheaper bar and a dirtier curry house than me.... God bless 'em!