PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Domestic - Wannabes & Recruitment

Pages : [1] 2 3

lc_461
7th Jan 2009, 03:29
I know this has pretty much been clobbered to death in the other threads, however Qantas Domestic Pty Ltd has begun accepting applications for a PER basing, with them closing in only 10 days. So, it looks as if it is definately going ahead. No word on pay or conditions as yet :}

lc_461

1flighty1
7th Jan 2009, 12:59
hey i hope you can help me! I applied for the job but i wasnt able to upload a photo! It kept coming back saying my photo file was too big! I tried everything, I copied and pasted the photo into word and notepad and all sorts but nothing worked! So in the end I just sent my application without the photo.
have you applied for the job? Im really interested in what the conditions/pay will be like. I have a feeling that being Qantas they will only be hiring casuals. but hopefully I am wrong...

Door_One_Right
7th Jan 2009, 21:10
Try opening a new document in word and insert the picture as opposed to copy and paste. Worked for me.

Whitelighter12345
8th Jan 2009, 02:21
may be your photo file size in too big, there is a file size restriction mentioned there.

lc_461
8th Jan 2009, 02:54
hey i hope you can help me! I applied for the job but i wasnt able to upload a photo! It kept coming back saying my photo file was too big! I tried everything, I copied and pasted the photo into word and notepad and all sorts but nothing worked! So in the end I just sent my application without the photo.
have you applied for the job? Im really interested in what the conditions/pay will be like. I have a feeling that being Qantas they will only be hiring casuals. but hopefully I am wrong...

Gday 1flighty1,

The positions are permanent full time. I haven't applied but there are other QF Crew on here that probably would be able to answer your questions. The long haul QCCA Crew got 25% less then the QAL crew. So base pay for QD could be around $35-40K?? (Just a guess)

lc_461

Breeza
8th Jan 2009, 11:39
25% less?!!?!?!?!

OMG SHAME..... that's an unbelievable drop hey...

Oh well, I'd still be stoked to get a position. I want t fly again so bad :(

blonde_hostie
11th Jan 2009, 13:23
I just applied for the Perth base *fingers crossed*

After JUST being rejected by Emirates its probably the next best thing!

Can anyone who hears back for an interview post here? I don't wanna be waiting around unnecessarily :P

lc_461
11th Jan 2009, 22:11
According to a QF CC, pay will be about $35K base. See other thread in the Cabin Crew pages.

Skywise7
12th Jan 2009, 04:17
I have had a quick look at the T&C on the CC forum i was wondering if anyone could give a rough idea on the following.

i) How many overnights..if any...per month?
ii) An estimate on how much extra you would make on allowances per year?

Lastly... Blonde Hostie i know the wound is still probably a bit raw but is it possible for you to post your experience with your Emirates interview (im guessing it was the ones held in Perth over the weekend??) on the Emirates wannabe thread?

Many Thanks All!

blonde_hostie
12th Jan 2009, 11:36
Skywise7 - Just posted my experience in the Emirates thread, so have a read! Are you from Perth?

flitegirl
12th Jan 2009, 15:08
Hi Skywise7

It's a little hard to predict what the rosters for QD pty/ltd crew will be like because the intention is that QAL (EBA 7) crew will get priority when flying is awarded.

Having said that, the January Perth patterns were roughly half day trips and half multi-day trips. The maximum number of overnights crew could achieve in the bid cycle was 15. So it looks like you would probably manage a good mix of single and multi-day trips.

Your DTA (an hourly rate you earn between sign on at home base and sign off at home base) would be the same as QAL crew which is a touch over $5. It is taxed if you are on a single day trip and tax-free if you are on a multi-day trip.

It looks like you could earn some extra cash through overtime (after 8.5 hours in a single duty). And other payments for working "unsociable hours" or hours over your monthly max. Unclear as to how much this would add up to until you see the actual Agreement.

Good luck:)

flitegirl
13th Jan 2009, 09:34
great info supplied by GalleyHag in the Cabin Crew Forum:) so take a look

Rexel I can't reply to your PM, it says you have chosen not to receive PMs. Might need to change your settings.

blonde_hostie
14th Jan 2009, 01:05
I got a call back today. Assessment day on Saturday! (in Perth)

Anyone else get one?

Breeza
14th Jan 2009, 05:11
on this saturday???

blonde_hostie
14th Jan 2009, 08:34
Yep, this Saturday 17th!

madonnafan
14th Jan 2009, 13:42
I was at the emirates interview too and got knocked out the 2nd round. its hard to judge what they were looking for. what did you think?

Breeza
14th Jan 2009, 22:30
wow congrats! that was quick!! Apps haven't even closed yet. I was told that they would be holding them between Jan 28-feb 3. Where abouts are they having the assessment centres? do you know where the GS will be held?

blonde_hostie
14th Jan 2009, 22:56
I know! Super fast!
Umm, Im pretty sure the GS will be here, because they told me that all the positions are based in Perth!
The assessment day is in one of the hotels in the city

Little_Red_Hat
15th Jan 2009, 03:04
Ground schools have been in Sydney or Melbourne as that is where the trainers and facilities are. No EP or cabin services trainers or equipment in Perth. But yes positions are mostly Perth based.

Assessment centres are the usual deal held in one of the big hotels.

1flighty1
15th Jan 2009, 03:38
wow! Good work blonde hostie for hearing back so soon! Goodluck! I hope everything goes really well for you on Saturday.

To everyone who had suggestions for me to re-size my photo...i tried everything and nothing worked! all my photo sizes are 1.08KB (i think) and the application only allows 200MB or something like that. I dont know what else to do so i will have to wait and see if they will accept my application without a photo. If not...you can all live the dream for me :p

blonde_hostie
15th Jan 2009, 07:15
Thanks everyone :)
With regards to GS, I think they will try to do it here (if possible) because (as rumored) it looks as if Perth is going to become their main base, so it would make sense to do it here and save money in the long run, rather than flying everyone over to Sydney/Melbourne for weeks at a time

dsour02
15th Jan 2009, 08:22
hey got a call to strt ground school in feb in sydney.

blonde_hostie
15th Jan 2009, 08:24
dsour2 - thats awesome!
Early Feb? or late Feb?
That is super exciting :D

ETA: also, how long is GS for?

dsour02
15th Jan 2009, 11:37
hey blondie hostie..thank for the well wishers, training start in 2 feb in sydney for 6 weeks. u all ready for ur interview..

Little_Red_Hat
15th Jan 2009, 11:41
Blonde Hostie... ground schools are in Sydney or Melbourne... can't imagine they'd have said they'd be done in Perth as there are no training facilities in Perth.

1flighty1, do you have microsoft image editor (or similar) on your computer... try changing the output size (in cm not pixels) of your finished image to about the size of a 'real' photo... or if you know someone good with Photoshop they can reduce the DPI of your image... how many megapixels on your camera... up around the 7 or higher range they tend to make photos really big... if you don't have a photo I think you can bring it to the assessment day, so have it ready printed out. If you can take it again try playing with your camera settings to set it to less MP (about 5 or so) and see if that helps. If all else fails try taking your camera and a memory stick to a camera store, they might be able to help.

1flighty1
16th Jan 2009, 02:21
yeah, there isnt any training facilities in Perth, so their ground schools will be in either Sydney or Melbourne. If they are considering Perth as their main base in the future then they will probably think about building a training centre here...but in the meantime all new recruits will definately be sent to Syd or Mel. I wouldnt complain. I know how hard it is studying in ground school with all the distractions of a normal routine at home, so id jump at the opportunity to go to syd or mel for G/S.

Little_red_hat, you completely lost me haha! Thanks for your help though. The applications have closed for the Perth base now anyway, so they have my photo-less application. If im lucky enough to get a call I will most definately have my photo ready. In the meantime i'll play around with my settings and see what i can do.

thanks!

Skywise7
16th Jan 2009, 09:32
Thanks for the info lovely people...much appreciated!

All the best for your applications!

Blonde Hostie...awesome post re: emirates interview experience..thanks and all the best with your applications and interviews!

flitegirl
16th Jan 2009, 11:25
You will do your Emergency Procedures training and some service components on the east coast. But other components that can be completed in a standard training room will be at your base.

1flighty1
17th Jan 2009, 03:50
yay! I finally managed to upload my photo. Only took me three weeks to figure out but better late than never.
Can I ask, those of you who have already heard back from QD...had you all done a MAM interview before they put applications on hold? Ive noticed that a few people ive spoken to who have heard back from QD had applied to MAM before...

blonde_hostie
17th Jan 2009, 23:45
1flighty1 - nope I've never applied for MAM, just through the qantas domestic site

Recruitment day went well yesterday. I got through til the end (panel interview) so now the waiting game begins!

Run through of the day;
- Get a name badge, quickly go through past work experience, check ID documents, take copies, get height checked.
- Get given a table number to sit at, about 6 or 7 people at each table plus one assessor for each table.
- First group activity - scenario: chose from 10 applicants which 2 your group would recruit for a fashion retail store and why
- Then move table (different group), watch "Safety First, Service Always" video
- Second group activity - scenario: you and your group are already CC, you have been selected to be part of the "Exceptional Customer Service Team", you are being interviewed for an article to appear in the CC newsletter, tell the story of a time when you have exceeded a customer's expectations which reflects why you were chosen to be part of the team, and then as a group think of three words that describe your team

- Then we had a lunch break, we were told to go away, but keep our phones on, because we would receive an SMS to save whether or not we were successful or not, and the successful ones would come back at 12:30.
12:25 - anxiously staring at our phones for an answer!
12:39 - SMS: "Thank you for your patience, we are running behind schedule, you should hear at approx 1pm"
1:30 - still waiting
1:45 - still waiting
2:05 - SMS: "Thank you for your patience. Congratulations, you have made it through..." blah blah blah, jump around hugging each other :P then quickly back to the hotel
2:15 -Start the panel interviews, the ones who are waiting are given security forms to fill out, so they can be sent off quickly if successful!
4:00 - FINALLY get called in - the waiting has been killing me! Lots of behavioural type questions. I think I did pretty well, but I always think its hard to tell with those type of questions.
Get told we could hear within 7 days to four weeks!!

Overall, it was much more relaxed and friendly than Emirates! There were about 56 people to start with, and 20 got a panel interview.
Dunno how many they plan to take, but they said that they needed LOTS of staff - so now FINGERS CROSSED!

craic1510
18th Jan 2009, 04:56
I was accepted to attend yesterday's recruitment day as well, really excited as I've been out of the flying game for a year now, after working for emirates from 05 to 07.

fingers crossed and good luck to everyone that was there :)

1flighty1
19th Jan 2009, 01:55
7 days to 4 weeks!!! Hopefully for your sake its closer to the 7 day mark. nothing worse than waiting around for a phone call!

Congratulations to both of you, I hope you hear back really soon! :ok:

Kolarevich
19th Jan 2009, 04:44
Hi blonde. For what airline company was that open days you mentioned?
Tell me, i am for Croatia, if i want to go in Qantas do they have like emirates open days around the globe or just in australia and i need to be there?
And for someone who was asking about Emirates, i managed till last 4th selection and then i failed. It was two months ago, but i heard that i don't need to wait for 6 month, that i should apply again and again if i want, just not to mention to them as i will be kicked imidiately.
good luck all, see you onboard
Emirates in my heart!:)

blonde_hostie
19th Jan 2009, 08:41
Kolarevich - it was for Qantas Domestic

No they dont hold recruitment days around the world, only in Australia and the UK

flitegirl
19th Jan 2009, 08:43
You will not be able to apply for Qantas in Australia unless you are a resident. Go on to qantas.com and link through to the careers section for LHR based crew in the UK.

Kolarevich
19th Jan 2009, 21:45
Thank you both ;)

craic1510
27th Jan 2009, 06:10
anyone heard anything? :ugh:

flitegirl
27th Jan 2009, 12:46
The website says "recruiting now" for Perth, closing date 01/02/09

1flighty1
28th Jan 2009, 02:37
they have changed their recruitment date so many times. Initially it was the 10th Jan, then the 18th Jan, then the 25th Jan...and now 1st Feb.

blonde_hostie
28th Jan 2009, 02:43
I think that reflects the amount of staff they need!

flitegirl
28th Jan 2009, 07:02
They've always had trouble filling the numbers required for Perth base

twiggs
28th Jan 2009, 07:47
Let's hope they don't lower the bar too much to get the numbers, as they have done in the past.

Breeza
28th Jan 2009, 10:25
There is certainly no shortage of people applying for QD Perth. They have been holding a number of assessment centres around the country as well as immediate panel interviews and still have others in holding pools.

aidab
2nd Feb 2009, 08:31
What's an immediate panel interview?

QDBOY
3rd Feb 2009, 04:32
:p Hello

I had recruitment day with MAM Aviation in Sydney on 21st of May 2008, was on hold. I was sent an email to apply and transfer my recruitment file from MaM aviation to Qantas Domestic in January and it said i would not have to attend any further recruitment days or interviews as they would review the MAM interview notes. Got an email to say thay recevied the (MaM Candidate) application and would be in touch in the near future on the 7th Jan. Have not had any communication since anyone else in the same boat waiting.

QDBOY:)

Love_Flying
5th Feb 2009, 06:49
Perth the place to be!

Any likelyhood of QD recruiting in Sydney or Melbourne in the near future or is this unlikely?? :rolleyes:

Love_Flying
5th Feb 2009, 06:55
furhther more, how strict are they on the height limit? I measure in just on the brink of 163 but afraid that depending on form of measurement used, I may fall a fraction below.... lol :ugh:

flitegirl
5th Feb 2009, 07:04
Hi Love_Flying

I have heard that they will require QD p/l crew in Melbourne and Sydney but I could only guess when they would recruit for that. I have not heard of any provisions for base transfers for QD crew, so unless you are absolutely desperate to fly now, I would wait for recruitment in those ports.

dizzylizzy
5th Feb 2009, 07:36
Jnr flying exMEL is terrible, its all day trips.

aidab
9th Feb 2009, 22:18
Did anyone else get through on the 29th-31st recruitment days or heard anything yet?

The waiting is killing me!

Little_Red_Hat
10th Feb 2009, 16:19
Be glad if you're hearing anything; there are a LOT of pissed off casual QF crew who applied as internal applicants who have not heard a peep for over a month now, yet people on the street have been given start dates- making them senior to anyone of current crew who have not yet transferred over. Some perspective- a few weeks' wait is nothing for you.

Skywise7
19th Feb 2009, 08:12
Hi All!

Just wondering if anyone has started training yet for Perth base. If you have, could you share some information about the following:

i) Main routes/destinations?
ii) Rostering i.e an average of how many o/n per month?
iii) Is there any regional flying?.. if so how much per month?
iv) What aircraft are you being trained on?
v) Any general thoughts/opinions

Many Thanks in advance!
SW

blonde_hostie
27th Feb 2009, 07:47
The waiting is killing me!
Anybody? I was told we would hear in 3 to 4 weeks... which has now been and gone. Has anyone who attended the Perth assessment days on the 29th - 31st of January had any news at all (good or otherwise?) Just curious... happy to wait

I go through the Jan 17th recruitment day... AND IM STILL WAITING!

lol, but I have been told that my application is under "executive review" which is the final stage before the medical so *fingers crossed* I find out soon!

comflywithme
27th Feb 2009, 14:52
Hi Guys, just thought i would give u some info on what I know... there are 2 ground schools starting this week one on Mon and One on Wed. I know there are still a lot of people who are going through the last part of the process-mainly the executive review, basically they are just waiting to push through these two ground schools before they give the green light to anymore. My guess is that the next will be in early to mid april.
In answer to a lot of peoples questions regarding conditions etc. please follow the link below... which is the Qantas Domestic Pty Limited Cabin Crew Workplace Agreement 2008 (EBA).

http://qantasdomestic.com.au/Qantas%20Domestic%20Pty%20Limited%20Cabin%20Crew%20Workplace %20Agreement%202008.pd

Hope that helps and good luck to all those that are still waiting.:)

Little_Red_Hat
28th Feb 2009, 04:48
Skywise, as the QD crew haven't even been operating a month, no-one knows about the rosters. So far everyone is jsut sitting on reserve with no idea what flights or trips they will be doing. So it's hard to say. You could get a great roster, or you could get a sh!te one, mostly it's looking like crap rosters at the moment.

For those waiting, as I have said, there are still internal applicants in Perth needing to be progressed as they are ' supposed' to have priority over you guys. (Not that it seems to have been done that way- any current crew care to comment???)

Blonde Hostie, 1 month-6weeks between interview and a medical in this economic climate would be extremely quick. Hang in there.

blonde_hostie
28th Feb 2009, 04:51
Yeah I know, I need to be patient.
But a friend of mine who also attended the Jan 17th recruitment STARTED training on Feb 16th, so given that information it certainly doesnt feel quick :p

Little_Red_Hat
1st Mar 2009, 06:25
Sure, it feels like ages when you're waiting. But the unfortunate reality is, not everyone is going to be successful, as there are only a finite number of positions available. It may be that some candidates are put in a hold pool for later in the year as attrition reduces numbers, and they again require more operational crew.

A couple years ago when MAM was heavily recruiting it wasn't uncommon to be on a hold list for 1-2 years before being offered a position. So who knows how it's going to go this time around. All we know is, there are only so many positions, and there are still people (both internal & external applicants) waiting to hear back. Don't mean to be doom and gloom but trying to give you all a realistic view- there will be people who will get a No. How many of those there are remains to be seen, I don't think even Qantas themselves know exactly how many they need, it may have changed with the reduction in capacity recently announced.

1flighty1
1st Mar 2009, 10:04
I actually asked in my interview how many people they were looking to hire, and they said
"well its not 300...but its not 10." Pretty broad so i agree Little_red_hat, they have no idea themselves.
Hang in there guys, you will hear back soon enough if you are successful or not. I fly out to Sydney on Tuesday to start my training on the 4th. Really really excited about it.
Hope to see you all in the air! x

blonde_hostie
2nd Mar 2009, 10:38
Well, you predicted right Little_Red_Hat.
I received the "unsuccessful" email today

sebby
2nd Mar 2009, 12:24
Sorry to hear that blonde_hostie!!!

Had they contacted your references at all?

blonde_hostie
2nd Mar 2009, 12:26
Sorry to hear that blonde_hostie!!!

Had they contacted your references at all?

When I spoke to them they told me they had, but then I spoke to my manager and she said they hadn't, so I assumed they only contacted my other one, but who knows, maybe they didn't?

sebby
2nd Mar 2009, 12:30
Yeah, there certainly doesnt seem to be any real set process does there.

Well chin up from here and onto the next step for you!

All the best.. :ok:

Ladysensei
19th Mar 2009, 00:39
I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I got a "Thankyou for you patience" email the other day. Does anyone have any clue about when QF will re-start the ground schools? :ugh:
x

Ladysensei
19th Mar 2009, 04:58
Ah how disappointing. As soon as it looked like I was going to get a medical call all I get is a recruitment freeze :}. I just hope it doesnt all turn out like the QCCA applicants -oh how I feel for them.
x

Rmondo
19th Mar 2009, 10:03
Not looking good in any direction.

I was 'on hold' with V aus. and was expecting the medical call up, but instead after 5 months got the call to tell me VB was going to use internal staff for their V crew and all external recruitment was cancelled.
I only just applied with Qantas Dom. and from what I hear - it seems to be heading towards a recruitment freeze as well.

Seems to be the worst time ever to try and get into this industry....(as he keeps submitting those applications..!!)

eff aye
23rd Mar 2009, 04:15
Ah how disappointing. As soon as it looked like I was going to get a medical call all I get is a recruitment freeze http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif. I just hope it doesnt all turn out like the QCCA applicants -oh how I feel for them.

Is any of this recruitment freeze talk coming from a reliable source? At my March 3 interview the recruiters were saying how exciting it was having a booming PER base and how they were looking for 2 GS to pass through after the current 2. I had my references contacted a couple of weeks ago and also recieved the "thankyou for you patience" email on thursday. Does anyone have some reliable inside goss?

Unfortunately I know wat its like.. I missed the boat with the EK freeze in Feb!

Ladysensei
24th Mar 2009, 23:01
I have a friend who's currently in a ground school for the PER base. His trainers told the class that they were very lucky to get in because they've cancelled the last 3 ground schools. Also there's a girl I know that works in PER and she over-heard it in the crew room too.

x

eff aye
25th Mar 2009, 06:24
Ladysensei,

Thanks for the update, although I almost wish i didnt ask now :( lol.. All this waiting is killing me. Watever happens I just want to find out asap and not be strung on for another couple of weeks.
Goodluck everyone

Ladysensei
25th Mar 2009, 22:57
Eff Aye just don't hold your breath, I have a feeling we'll be waiting a lot longer then you think. :yuk:

ANstar
8th May 2009, 23:22
They are currently recruiting for Jetconect short haul in AKL. Recruitment day is next weekend.

born2fly1day
14th May 2009, 21:53
Hi, Could some please tell me what sort of things you do at the assesment day?

Thanks

aidab
3rd Jun 2009, 06:34
I'm still waiting for the 'thanks, but no thanks' letter. Is anyone else in the same boat?
About half a year and two emails telling me there's still hope, I'm assuming they are just keeping us holding on (is there anyone else in the same boat?), and waiting to see how the financial crisis will effect them. I guess it would be a waste of money to let us go and start recruiting all over again when they are ready for more people.
Has anyone heard any updates or received any emails?

Pegasus747
3rd Jun 2009, 06:46
Qantas has just moved a whole lot of domestic and international cabin crew work around to avoid redundancies. Circumstances are such that there is a 100% employment freeze at the moment.

It is unlikely barring an unforseen turnaround in the industry that there will be any recruitment for the next 12 months in cabin crew.

In perth that could change but once again is "highly" unlikely

flitegirl
16th Sep 2009, 02:59
Perhaps some positive news on the horizon. A colleague was at a managers' meeting recently and was told that QD will be recruiting around 50 new crew for Perth. This is to enable transfers out of Perth to the East Coast which was an agreement between the company and the FAAA earlier in the year.

Hopefully it will happen and good luck to all. Especially those who are on a hold list.

Brindabella24
16th Sep 2009, 10:06
I have recently registered my interest for a flight attendant position at many Australian airlines and am pretty excited to hear your news flitegirl, especially as Qantas was the number one airline on my list that I'd like to work for.

I am a total newbie and would love to work from my home base of Perth. However I am worried that they will not even look at my application since I am new and because I have not yet attained my first aid certificate nor my RSA. I am doing these courses as we speak, but I worry because I had to tick no to having completed these on my application just now that I won't even get a look in.

What do you guys think of my chances? Will they still give me a go? I did see on their website that at the very least you need to have the appropriate personal paper work (passport, birth certificate etc) if you are invited to a recruitment day, so it makes me wonder if the fact that I don't have my first aid/RSA yet is ok, as long as I am going about doing it asap (which I am...I'm enrolled for the first aid course on Oct 1 and 2).

What are my chances in general? I am very eager and have plenty of life and hospitality experience. I suppose there will be a zillion people applying, all more qualified and ready with their paperwork than I. Will I sort of be putting in my application and then never hearing anything for a year or so?

What other airlines can you guys recommend to me out of Perth? I would move if I had to, but clearly that is not my first choice to do.

How often do they recruit anyways? Is it like a once a year thing? Once every few months? Only when there are vacancies? Are these recruitment days like open days? Or do they have both?

flitegirl
17th Sep 2009, 02:59
That all sounds good Brindabella.

As long as you can show that you are enrolled in those courses they will treat your application the same as the next person. What will put you ahead of others is your previous customer service and hospitality experience, so best of luck, I hope you do well and I hope you hear from Qantas soon.

GalleyHag
17th Sep 2009, 14:21
Qantas Domestic are currently recruiting for Perth base ONLY. At this stage MAM casual crew are being offered positions as they were interviewed and put on hold some time ago. Once that has been exhausted and IF more crew are required I would imagine they will look to the external hold applicants.

The MAM casuals offered permanent positions with Qantas Domestic start in Perth on 1 October.

Whitelighter12345
2nd Nov 2009, 14:49
I saw MAM website and they are recruiting again ? Anyone heard anything more ?

Jackbr
24th Jan 2010, 10:13
Generally, JQ crew return to their home base every night. DJ often get fairly large trips with a number of overnights. Now that Qantas S/H is almost entirely Domestic flying with just trans tasman returns, do the QF Domestic crew get many overnights?

flitegirl
24th Jan 2010, 22:19
It depends on how you bid and what your seniority is but each base's bid package will state the maximum you can bid for. It's usually somewhere between 10 and 21 (as a maximum) eg this month I had 7

Delphic
2nd Mar 2010, 12:22
This is carried over from the QCCA thread, since it relates to QD.

Brindabella, when is the new Qantas Recruitment Day?

Col88
4th Mar 2010, 01:23
With the domestic Perth Flight attendants. do they do any asia trips??

ilana182
4th Mar 2010, 04:27
I just got this email from QD:

Dear

Thank you for registering your interest with Qantas Domestic for the position of Flight Attendant.

We now have new opportunities available for Flight Attendants in our Perth, Sydney and Melbourne bases.

We will be inviting candidates to attend assessment centres on the following dates:
Perth - Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th March 2010
Sydney - Thursday 11th and Friday 12th March 2010
Melbourne - Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th March 2010
If you would like to be considered please apply online at www.flightattendants.qantas.com.au/qd (http://www.flightattendants.qantas.com.au/qd)

Kind regards,
Cabin Crew Recruitment Team
Qantas Domestic Pty Limited

Brindabella24
4th Mar 2010, 04:36
They told me the recruitment days would be Friday, Saturday and Sunday of this week. I get the feeling that they must be inviting a heap of people if they need to have 3 whole days of recruitment in the one city! I am going to the Saturday one anyway. Anyone else?

After the phone call I recieved on the 2nd, inviting me to the RD, they have sent me about three emails telling me what time and what to bring but the venue is 'still to be advised', which I found really weird. If I haven't heard anything tomorrow I will definitely be emailing them. What if I had put my name down for the Friday recruitment and they still hadn't told me where it was?

ilana182
4th Mar 2010, 04:39
Maybe if they were having them in Brisbane!

But it's good to see they're doing it on the weekend, so people don't have to chuck sickies to get to them LOL

CruisyCabinChick
4th Mar 2010, 04:55
Hi there P Crew
Could anyone adivse if it is worth applying for more than one base? I'm happy to relocate to the moon if it means getting into the Airline...

CCC :ok:

firyice
4th Mar 2010, 05:04
Hi all,

Just a general question but does anyone know what routes Qantas Domestic fly? I tried to obtain the information via their website but when I click the domestic routes it shows Qantaslink routes. Where am I going wrong?

ilana182
4th Mar 2010, 05:18
Are you trying this link?

Plan - Route Maps - International (http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/route-maps/global/en)

firyice
4th Mar 2010, 06:01
Thanks Ilana182, that certainly did help. I was just using the recruitment page and was getting no where. Does anyone have any ideas about rosters and what sort of trips are available? Correct me if im wrong but I thought that domestic crew can also short haul international flying? Any info would be great.

scoobydoodoo
4th Mar 2010, 10:49
Hey guys, just a thumbs up... hope you realise, MAM is now defunct and their services are no longer employed by Qantas whatsoever. I had a long flight from Singapore to Frankfurt last week, and spoke to the team leader of the flight attendants and he was telling me lots of info, and that now Qantas will be doing the recruitment themselves. Also, he mentioned the pays have been sliced terrible (he's been working with them for 25yrs!!) and its not good news for newbies... still, I shall be trying when I return to Oz (damn about there being huge recruitment drives now whilst I'm living in Europe!!)

Good luck to all you wannabes :p

Delphic
4th Mar 2010, 13:11
The 2008 EBA contract for QD used to be available online, but I've just checked now and it appears to have been removed. The pay isn't that bad, esp compared to Jetstar and others. DTA and other conditions are much the same. I think anybody would be hard pressed finding a single airline in the world that pays exceptionally well anymore for newbies. The golden days (pays) of flying are long gone - if you're only in it for the money you'd be better off finding a different job.

flitegirl
4th Mar 2010, 20:34
Scoobydoodoo
Qantas does still employ services from MAM. I work with crew from MAM quite frequently.

GoldCoast1
4th Mar 2010, 22:37
Scoobydoodoo,

just spoke with a friend of my who is employed by MAM, and he is still flying Qantas, may be the FA you spoke to is just hoping MAM would go away or become defunct. :confused::confused:

abs10
5th Mar 2010, 00:18
:eek: Hi all! This is great to see that recruitment has bee reborn again after such a long time!!

However, there are a pool of us like shortfinal737 (hello!!) who completed the interview process 1 year ago. We have had pretty thorough communication from Qantas during this time keeping us updated with where we are at. Recent information from Qantas regarding our positions which are on HOLD are as follows:

7th December 2009 - If recruitment recommenced before 1st June 2010, it is unlikely we would be required to undertake a new assessment center.

24th December 2009 - Qantas then requested an updated photo and CV from us also requesting new referees.

9th Feb 2010 - Thank you for passing on this information....We will keep you updated with the next steps.

So, where now?? Can somebody help me understand??? Do we now join everyone else at the recruitment day with only 2 days notice??????????It seems klike this communication is now at a dead end??

What do you think shortfinal or anybody else who has been successful and on hold?

Good luck everybody!

browni 44
5th Mar 2010, 00:56
Answer to your question. No, Perth crew at the moment do domestic flying only no Asia trips.

Col88
5th Mar 2010, 06:35
Hey, im an attending the recruitment day in perth this wkend. I just realised my passport only has 7 months left on it instead of a yr.
Do you think this will be ok as I wont be able to get a new one in time?

Brindabella24
5th Mar 2010, 06:37
I think it only has to have a minimum of 6 months left on it, so you should just scrape in.

Col88
5th Mar 2010, 06:44
Thanks, I will be getting a new one soon any way so hopefully they will be fine with it.

abs10
5th Mar 2010, 07:28
A good sign! Good to see recruitment has been reborn once again......!

flitegirl
5th Mar 2010, 08:05
you normally need to present a passport with 12 months validity with your application on the recruitment day, however I would guess the recruiters would be pretty lenient considering they need to hire crew quickly as crewing numbers are about to become short - especially in the base you're applying to. I would say they would probably just ask you to apply for a new one ASAP

CruisyCabinChick
5th Mar 2010, 08:41
I like your posts - they're always the most 'matter of frank'. Thank you on behalf of fellow ppruners.
You mentioned that they're short on crew. Why is this seemingly all of a sudden??

Also, I guess given you work for the airline in question, so you may not know. However, would you adivse applying for multiple bases?

As per my previous posts, I live in Geelong (Vic) and wouldn't have much to lose if I was fortunate enough to be offered a position. I'd relocate to the moon....maybe I could commute on Virgin Galatic (hah hah).

CCC:cool:

flitegirl
5th Mar 2010, 09:33
Hi CCC

I'm glad you find my posts helpful. ;)

The reason for the projected shortage of crew in the coming months is basically because Qantas has survived the recent economic problems relatively well and is now in a position to increase services or upgrade aircraft (ie size) on a number of domestic routes. Airlines have analysts who project markets and then schedules are produced in accordance with these projected passenger numbers, demand etc. I think they usually produce schedules for about 6 months in advance. Qantas schedulers would have made the decision recently that there will not be enough crew in the coming months to cope with these new schedules. Hence a recruitment campaign is triggered.

This recruitment does seem a bit "rushed" compared to other times where applicants are left "on hold" for months at a time. I guess the company has been focused on other demands with the economic problems etc, rather than looking at recruiting for a "hold pool". That's just my thoughts.

As for applying for multiple bases, I don't really know what advice to give you there. On the three occasions I applied for Qantas they asked me to rank my preferences for a base. At that time it was just Sydney and Melbourne. I'm not sure how it works now, if you go to a Perth RD does that mean you are only considered for Perth? Do they give you the option of ranking your preferences in your application? Sorry I can't be more helpful.

CruisyCabinChick
5th Mar 2010, 10:22
Hi there,
Everything you've said is cool and tippin spot on! Thank you. In addition, which is ironic!! There's been a changing of the guard & both recently posting their annual results. Hopefully JB keeps a decent product good, and AJ attends to the needs of the crew, now more so.
:)CCC

ps. Have you ever been to Geelong. If they open a LNS base, I'm there!

Gucci77
6th Mar 2010, 04:36
Hi i just got a letter to apply yesterday for domestic positions, so i did i am in perth. Strange cause you guys are saying open day is this weekend, anyone just applied too?
wonder if they will have any more open days?

thanks
D:bored:

revn211
6th Mar 2010, 07:54
anyone know where its being held in perth tomorrow? girlfriend had it shceduled for today 06/03/10 but had to change to tomorrow 07/03/10 and hasnt been told where it is... any help is greatly apprecited

abs10
6th Mar 2010, 08:03
Hi Guys, and a special hello to shortfinal737.....

I am in the same position as you are shortfinal737....

In January/feb 2009, a large group of us had been successful and have been on hold for this entire time. I am now incredibly confused as to where we now stand as the new receruitment drive is now taking place.
During this time, qantas has been pretty good keeping us in the loop, Here are the emails:

7th December 2009: Thankyou for your patience. Recruitment will recommence within the next few months.If it occurs before the 1st July 2010, it is unlikely yoy will need to again complete an assessment centre....
24th December 2009: Given the recent announcement about the domestic expansion etc etc, we now need you to send us refreshed referees and a new photograph (even though they had already done our reference checks).
27th December 2009: Thankyou for your update... we will be in contact with you shortly about next steps.
4th March 2010: Qantas announces large recruitment drive....
5th March 2010: We would like you to reregister your interest to be considered for the assessment centre....

As you can see this is all VERY frustrating. Can anyone shed some light as to what will happen with all of us still on hold?

Quiet frankly, I cannot beleive they have not advised where we stand ,or, at least a confirmation that we do not still have to attend an assessment centre......:ugh::rolleyes:

Col88
6th Mar 2010, 08:39
Hey Revn,

Sunday the recruitment is at citigate hotel in Wellington Street.

AirborneSoon
6th Mar 2010, 09:34
QD are recruiting for Syd, Mel & Per bases now, update your resume if you're interested. Ground schools from April.

CruisyCabinChick
6th Mar 2010, 09:46
Hello
Weather is great here in Geelong if you like playing golf with hail!! No doubt a stack of a'crafts stuck at the gates.
With all the 'register your interest' for both QD and QCCA as per the new QF Website, would you know/recommend applying for multiple bases??
Not withstanding all the Q'Link bases too registering interest...

abs10
6th Mar 2010, 11:37
Wow shortfinal!!!I appreciate that info...lets keep in contact......for everyone else, let us know how the asessment centre goes......goodluck!!Remember, always relax and have fun! Qantas watch EVERY move you do......

Brindabella24
6th Mar 2010, 12:06
Today I got the impression that they were very eager to get the hold people off hold and give them a chance to start training. They made everyone fully aware of the fact there had been people waiting for a year or more and that they would come first.

They told me that they want to rush things along. Karratha and Broome are going off and they're increasing flights there all the time. Also from Sydney and Melbourne to Karratha I think alot more too. WA is on its way to having another boom, so it doesn't surprise me. They said they want to start ground schools in April.

There were some people there who were from link and wanted to change. They came later in the day just to have an interview and didn't do the group stuff like the rest of us.

Was a great day and I feel positive they will keep recruiting after this. They told me that during my interview. So I feel assured if I don't make it this time or I have to knock it back then I will get another chance.

ilana182
7th Mar 2010, 04:29
Can you commute to Sydney from SEQ with Qantas? Is it possible?

CruisyCabinChick
7th Mar 2010, 04:57
As these recruitment days are only a few days off, has anyone received an invitation yet for this Thurs/Fri in Sydney, or next Sat/Sun in Melbourne??:confused:

flitegirl
7th Mar 2010, 08:05
Commuting to another city as a domestic flight attendant with Qantas could prove tough. Your roster will typically consist of any or all of the following :-

- early morning starts
- late night sign offs
- single day flying
- single days off
- single reserve days

you would probably need to find a place to base yourself in Sydney (or whatever base you were to choose) And return home every so often when you have a few days off.

abs10
8th Mar 2010, 01:54
Does anybody know roughly what the perth trips comprise of currently? I know there is a mix of the odd international built in with broom return etc. Are there many multiday trips to the east coast like mel/syd for example?

engboi
8th Mar 2010, 06:21
Has anyone heard of any Perth Recruitment days?

Also I am looking for a Sydney based role but do you think I would be able to interview in Perth?

Have noticed that there is lots of people waiting to start ground school? Does this make sense if they are recuiting again?

Cheers

CruisyCabinChick
8th Mar 2010, 08:22
Dear fellow Wannabee QD Pruners,
Has anyone heard/been invited to a Syd or Mel recruitment day?
As CC, I need to give notice (or be 'unfit for duty') should I be fortunate.
Maybe they're stalling the process for whatever reason.

I note on a different note, they've closed the 'register your interest' bit for QCCA (SYD & MEL). Wonder what happened to that idea??

Flitegirl, are you able to shed some light??:confused::confused:

flitegirl
8th Mar 2010, 09:08
Hi CCC and everyone

I don't really have any insight sorry. I do know that Perth is their priority at the moment. I would suggest that the delay for Melbourne and Sydney would be because they will [1] first offer the QD positions to current MAM crew, [2] action transfers out of Cairns and Perth (they've agreed 5 flight attendants will be transferred out Perth base) [3] offer divisional transfers from Long Haul to Short Haul (if any want to go) then after that movement, they will look at the external recruitment needs for each base.

That's just my thoughts. But don't worry, from what I'm hearing they will be having recruitment days on the east coast sooner rather than later.

TeamJQboy
8th Mar 2010, 09:15
Hey CCC, I'm wondering the same thing.

I submitted my application for QD MEL and SYD bases last week and got the email saying they "are reviewing the application and will be in contact shortly", so I guess that means an email whether I do or don't have an invite to the Assessment Centres. But seeing as the SYD ACs are in just a few days time, it is cutting it a little fine with not a lot of notice for us, one way or another. :confused:

Guess that's exactly why you need to be 'flexible' in this job!

CruisyCabinChick
8th Mar 2010, 09:35
Thank you for the feedback. Yes, what you say flitegirl makes sense.

Totally does - updated today on the FAA8 website the fact that they're recruiting.

That said, they have sent emails out asking ppl to go to their new recruitment website (which I have) and basically apply again - which I have to multiple bases. So yes, PER is their priority, thus keeping their reputation as class, surely they'd at least give people more than 5 mins for an update.

I note today re the possibility of reducing the crew ratio from 1 to 36, to 1 to 50.

Maybe this has thrown a spanner in the works...

It's slightly frustrating, but my BF is a contract labourer, so lucky for him/us he can pick up work at very short notice - lucky him:ugh:

flitegirl
8th Mar 2010, 11:37
The proposed CASA changes to crew ratios isn't affecting Qantas flights at this stage because crew compliments for each aircraft type is specified in the Short Haul EBA. This issue would need to be reviewed at the next EBA negotiations and changes certified into a new agreement. So as it stands that broader industrial topic shouldn't be affecting current recruitment.

Flapping
8th Mar 2010, 14:10
Can someone shed some light on how much do Qantas Domestic Flight Attendants get? There is a base salary of slightly more than $33K a year plus all the other allowances, but roughly how much does it average to? I don't want to leave a job that's paying me $60K a year and find that I barely make $50K with QF. I heard that it amounts up about $65K after everything is thrown in, is that true?

abs10
8th Mar 2010, 21:47
Hi Shortfinal737, forgot tot ask you, even though we were sent the email by mistake, have you still registered on the new site??

Muizenberg
8th Mar 2010, 22:11
Hi all,

Just received an e-mail saying I'd been progressed to the SYD assessment centre! Booked in for 0830 on 12 March!

If anyone does know about the pay (I had a look at the EBA online a while ago), I'd be most greatful if you could PM me!

Good luck to all!

Chef de Cabine
9th Mar 2010, 04:18
Ill see you there Muizenberg! Got the same interview time.
Have you been able to get the online test working?? I can't seem to get it loaded..

dan87
9th Mar 2010, 22:17
Hi Flapping in regards to QF domestic salary i would suggest you look at the workplace agreement... i have listed how you can find this ... this was the most recent thing i could find. I hope this helps you.

Go to webpage Home | Fair Work Australia (http://www.fwa.gov.au/)
From the 'Fair Work Australia’ tab (located top centre of the page)
Select 'Agreement' (top left of the page)
Click 'Find an agreement'
Type in 'QANTAS DOMESTIC PTY LIMITED CABIN CREW WORKPLACE AGREEMENT 2008' into the title bar
Then click search.

Flapping
10th Mar 2010, 12:10
Hi dan87
thanks for the info. I went in to check, roughly the basic pay calculation is there but in reality, when one starts to fly with all the other allowances, I am still unclear about the actual amount. I know it varies from month to month but a rough average of what is gotten a year would be really helpful. The basic pay is about $38K before all the rest are added on. Can any cabin crew who are reading this shed some light?

AirBumps
11th Mar 2010, 02:32
Hey guys,

This is a strange question, and I think I know the answer, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

My girlfriend would like to apply for a FA job with QF. She meets all the minimum requirments, and can speak 3 languages (although not the QF desired ones), but the problem is we're currently living in Norway. She wants to apply for a job with a Melbourne or Sydney basing because we're planning on moving there.

So my question is, are you able to apply for a position in Australia, but sit the assessment days/interviews in say, London?

Anybody with any ideas?

Cheers,
AB

cheekydingo
11th Mar 2010, 04:37
I got a response to attend Saturday 13th March session in Melbourne, but at 3 pm for Melbourne base panel interview. Apparently there is an assessment which start from 0830 onward on the same day. Mmm.. I was wondering why they skipped me straight to panel interview instead ? Is there anyone got the same appointment like me ?
Would be great to get someone to shed some light here... never flown before as cabin crew and thought would like to try the lifestyle.... cheers !

PS. Does anyone know where about they will holding the assessment ?

Muizenberg
11th Mar 2010, 05:18
Hi Air bumps,

QF Cabin Crew UK is a separate subsidiary to QF Domestic, QF Link or QF Cabin Crew Australia.

In the UK the requirements are slightly different esp. with regards to the RSA/Senior First Aid.

As Cabin Crew for Qantas Cabin Crew UK, you can't transfer to Australia. So serriously doubt that QF domestic would allow your girlfriend to do her assessment in the UK.

Sorry to be so negative.

ceiloposh
11th Mar 2010, 07:22
Hi Cheekydingo,
They usually skip the group thing if you've flown before...
Or have you been to another QF interview? Or work for QF in customer service.

I am going at 8;30, not sure if it is going to be a full on interview process day as I had to complete about 3 online assessments.
They still have not emailed the location, but Im guessing the training centre.

QF Flightboy
11th Mar 2010, 07:23
:) Hey all , like Abs10 and ShortFinal737 I am too on hold from last year and just had ref checks redone last week. Has anyone else in the hold pool been told to re do Secruity or Medicals. Hope we find out soon. I was told I dont have re apply the new way either as our applications are in the process. It sounds like we mite be offered positions soon.

:ok:

cheekydingo
11th Mar 2010, 08:42
Hi Ceiloposh.. Thanks for your reply.
The answer to your questions is no. I never worked in QF nor flown as a cabin crew before.. I do work in aviation but NOT with QF.....

Mmmm... interesting .... would like to hear from anyone else in here...

I only need to do 1 assessment which is Hogan assessment....

AirBumps
11th Mar 2010, 12:50
Thanks for the quick reply mate, much appreciated. Thats sort of what I was expecting to hear.

Cheers,
AB

abs10
11th Mar 2010, 14:20
Hi QF flight boy and shortfinal737.....

Wow, how interesting.....

Congrats on having your refs checked qfboy:ok:....you must be excited...

I have not had mine checked either shortfinal...

However, last year when our assessment center progessed through the stages, the girl who I went through the interview with had her references checked almost 10 days before mine....So you just DONT know....

We have resent them the updated cv and pic etc and thats all we can do...

Shortfinal, do you think maybe I should also send them an email explaining my confusion like you did regarding our position? I have not done this yet.......

abs10
11th Mar 2010, 14:23
Also Qf flight boy, are you currently employed by qantas, or, a subsidiary of qantas ??qantaslink?

cheekydingo
11th Mar 2010, 21:42
Does anyone has any idea where about is the assessment will be held at ?
Still waiting for the email to give the location etc...

Thanks !

Muizenberg
12th Mar 2010, 11:25
Anyone heard whether they've got through to stage 3 on Monday night in SYD??

Snuffles
12th Mar 2010, 11:47
Hi Muizenberg, I am just wondering what does stage three entail?

tam1234
13th Mar 2010, 04:30
im still waiting to hear back about monday night as well... slightly nerve racking... were you at the thurs or fri sydney day?

Muizenberg
13th Mar 2010, 05:30
Hi snuffles and tam1234,

I was there on Friday. At least we are all in the same boat! Have no idea what stage 3 entails???

Best of luck to you both. Everything crossed at mo.

dollbaby87
13th Mar 2010, 07:04
I would also like to know.. I have a recruitment day tomorrow. .. Sunday, and have not received also!! Can anyone help please???

Have found help!!! thank you very much!!!

tam1234
13th Mar 2010, 09:35
i think stage 3 is just a matter of meeting the ceo's of qantas and seeing if they like us. on friday... how many people were asked back for the second half of the day? we went from 50 to 20 people...

let me know when you hear something about monday... i wonder how long they plan on keeping us in the dark? i mean... it is on monday!

Chef de Cabine
14th Mar 2010, 09:09
Has anyone heard anything re: monday night?? I am quite anxiously waiting to know if i should book flights up to Sydney. The suspense is killing me!!! :bored:

AirborneSoon
14th Mar 2010, 09:25
Re: CruisyCabinChick

I'm sure you're very objective when it comes to your friends but I have to say your opinion "she's incredible" means little in aviation recruitment. Or any kind of recruitment really. You have to remember that every carrier has it's own target for personality, temperament, experience and attitude. While your friend might be perfect for the 'opposition', maybe she just doesn't have what QF wants.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the recruiters there didn't give her a fair chance. No-one likes a rejection and it's very difficult not to take it personally. Kind of short sighted though to pull out your own application on the basis of your friend not being a good fit. You might be just what they are looking for. Have you tried applying for her airline? If they rejected you would you be equally disgusted?

People get jobs where they are meant to get jobs and a rejection from one airline means only that her job isn't with them.

CruisyCabinChick
14th Mar 2010, 09:50
Thank you,
Points noted. What you say makes sense - of course. Not just an airline, any potential employer.
I guess I just felt for her coz she was genuinely devastated.
By no means did she 'expect' it, but I would have thought she would have atleast made it through to the panel interview as she's ever so diplomatic, grooming is impeccable and has a winning attitude. Regardless of the airline, surely those points can't be overlooked.
Again, points noted though,

CCC

AirborneSoon
14th Mar 2010, 10:53
Well for what it's worth, those points haven't been overlooked. Her current employer obviously values them greatly. You know it's possible to be rejected for being too far above the target as well as being below it. Airlines hire the people they think will stay, maybe QF just saw someone who wouldn't be content with what they have to offer her. :ok:

CruisyCabinChick
14th Mar 2010, 11:04
Yes you're right. Sometimes it also comes down to 'culture fit'. Not a negative thing.
Note, I still fly with them and are a Frequent Flyer.
I guess it's how it rolls on the day in the end.

Happy Trails,
CCCC;)

tam1234
14th Mar 2010, 11:30
Hey Chef,

I havent heard anything yet about monday night but there is someone on hear that says they have...

so im not really sure?

let me know if you receive the email!!

good luck!

viipii
14th Mar 2010, 22:28
Hi chef, tam1234, muizenberg and snuffles

Oh wow. I was there on the Thursday and I didn't even hear them mention anything about Monday night. How bad is that!? I must have been catching up on z's from the early start. :\

I definitely haven't heard anything from them.

Good luck guys!

viipii
15th Mar 2010, 03:26
Hey I just received my email;

Thank you for participating in the Qantas Domestic Assessment Day and congratulations for making it through to the Panel Interview.

At this stage we will not be inviting you to the Candidate Event which is the next stage of the recruitment process. We will however continue to progress your application through the process and will be in contact with your in regards to the status of your application in the coming weeks.

Kind Regards
Cabin Crew Recruitment Team
Qantas Domestic Pty Ltd

I'm kind of confused about not being invited to the Candidate Event and yet my application will "continue to progress". Is it possible my application can "continue to progress" to actual success? Or just a delayed but inevitable (due to my not being invited to stage 3) rejection? :confused:

Oh, the waiting, the hoping, the dreaming-it never ends!

cheekydingo
15th Mar 2010, 04:01
Hi viipii,

I too got the same e-mail. Does it mean they "skipped" you through the progress or on hold ? Very confusing e-mail and it can be interpret to many different meaning...

Oh well I guess from now on.. "NO NEWS IS A GOOD NEWS"..

Good luck everyone !

Chef de Cabine
15th Mar 2010, 04:12
i received the same email and am equally confused. I feel this is just a delayed rejection letter, how can we continue progressing if we have been told we have not made it through to the next stage? :(

tam1234
15th Mar 2010, 05:25
hey guys...
just received the same email...
however earlier this morning before i received it i did call them up just to ask...
the lady told me i wasnt getting invited but that they will still be reviewing my application and i should know sometime this week...

maybe we are like a standby... they obviously saw qualities in us but maybe didnt interview as well as the others... however if something falls through with some people who progressed... maybe then we are in with a chance...

dont forget... anyone can be kicked out at anytime... they are always watching... even in ground school... so.. there is always hope...

good luck all!

viipii
15th Mar 2010, 05:31
tam1234

I like your attitude :ok:

cheekydingo
15th Mar 2010, 05:46
Hi tam1234, thanks for sharing with us... well hopefully we will get some news sometimes this week..

cheers

LoveFlight
15th Mar 2010, 12:19
hey flyer37, I had my interview in Perth too....but they have not yet contacted me to supply my referees?

When did you get that call?

Hopefully maybe ill receive a call sometime this week

With a bit of luck what you said is true "just quite busy"

Fingers crossed :)

viipii
16th Mar 2010, 00:50
Hi cheekydingo

Sorry I didn't notice your post yesterday when I quickly checked through. Yes I thought at first the same as you, maybe we were "skipped" but then starting thinking that seems inconsistant with the wording that says it was the next stage of recruitment.

I agree with you - No news is good news! I think Tams1234 has hit the nail on the head. We weren't first pick but we still have a chance.

CNSFLYER
16th Mar 2010, 03:16
Just been invited to attend the assessment centre this Friday in Perth - YAY. Anyone else going to this one??

Grove
16th Mar 2010, 03:46
All of you who didnt get an invite on Mon night.... Maybe you impressed the recruiters enough when you went to the R.D and they dont need to see you again... I would have thought if they didnt want you they would simlply send you the no thanks email...

FrancesKate
16th Mar 2010, 04:16
Hi everyone,

I applied for long haul Melbourne base back in 2008 and went through all the stages including reference checks etc... THEN all the Qantas fiascos happened and recruitment was put on hold.

Qantas rang me up last week to see if I was interested in flying domestic and coming to the recruitment day. I was unable to make it and they said just come along tonight to the CANDIDATE EVENT.

Am I in the same boat as anybody else? I have to bring along ASIC security forms etc. Does anyone know what this candidate event is?

Regards,

Frances

cheekydingo
16th Mar 2010, 04:40
Hi Franceskate,

Do you mind shed us some light.. what it is actually "candidate event" is ? If you going tonight, let us know what it is .. ???

Thanks !

FrancesKate
16th Mar 2010, 04:44
Hi Cheeky Dingo,

No worries, will let you know! I'm hoping its a good thing... I've been waiting for 2 years!!!!!

viipii
16th Mar 2010, 05:35
Hi FrancesKate

Thanks for sharing with us. I'm hoping it's good news for you too :)

firyice
16th Mar 2010, 07:33
Hi FrancesKate,

I too was at the Mel Candidate Event. What a process!! I was quite surprised at the end when we didn't even have to provide the documentation. I wish they could have provided more definite answers to when recruitment starts. I guess we've already been waiting 2 years, whats another couple of weeks?

FrancesKate
16th Mar 2010, 08:54
Hi Firyice,

I am a little confused as to why they needed to see us! But glad I went along... you are so right... what is 2 more weeks when we have waited 2 years! (let's hope we find out one way or the other)

Good luck!

p.s to everyone else, the event tonight was a 'meet and greet' for all the people who had been on hold for 2 years from last recruitment drive.

cheekydingo
16th Mar 2010, 09:11
Hi Firyice,

What is "candidate event' ? did you attend it ?

Gucci77
16th Mar 2010, 11:43
Hi everyone, I have been invited to Perth assessment day on Friday coming up 8.30am. Can any body tell me what does the day involve. what is the next stage if you are successful? any body knows how much you get paid for QF domestic? Appreciate your help! And good luck to those applying. Flying is great did it for 10 years. Love it! Gucci

viipii
16th Mar 2010, 12:24
Hi Gucci77

I recently attended the recruitment day in Sydney. From 8.30am until 11am we got grouped together and did introductions and then two group game/assessments.

There was also a Q and A session before lunch. Then they sent us away for 45 mins and texted us to say whether we made it through to stage two, a panel interview. The panel interview consisted of four or five standard behavioural questions.

They mentioned salary in the Q and A and I think they said 34k (plus some allowances), and 27k for ground school. But I'm not 100% sure, so if someone has a better memory than me feel free to correct that.

Hope this helps.

Gucci77
16th Mar 2010, 13:02
Thanks thats great.
So first day is a whole day thing?
Salary is pretty small then. $34,000?

Gucci

firyice
16th Mar 2010, 18:49
Hi everyone,

For those of you who are curious about the pay etc...its best to read over their EBA. A couple of pages back a link was provided to obtain this:

Go to webpage Home | Fair Work Australia (http://www.fwa.gov.au/)
From the 'Fair Work Australia’ tab (located top centre of the page)
Select 'Agreement' (top left of the page)
Click 'Find an agreement'
Type in 'QANTAS DOMESTIC PTY LIMITED CABIN CREW WORKPLACE AGREEMENT 2008' into the title bar
Then click search.

All the info you need is there but a quick run down: Trainee FA wage is 29,244.79 and FA wage is 36,596.79. This goes up by approx $1k/yr. Apparently this includes compensation for grooming, uniform maintenance, etc.

There are other allowances that you are also entitled too depending on your duty hour, incentive pays, etc.

I hope this sheds some light on the wage matter.

The candidate event was a meet and greet as FrancesKate said but it still felt like an interview with a group activity thrown in. I've been going over my every move/word in my head and don't know what to think anymore. Good luck to those that attended and hope to see you in the skies soon. :D

Gucci77
17th Mar 2010, 00:17
Thanks guys for all details about salary, wow really its relatively small salary.
$36,500 its not a lot at all. Considering you work a lot as a crew. Strange always thought QF was paying more.
Anybody knows if they have direct entry cabin crew manager? How can you get to that position?

thanks!
Gucci

LoveFlight
17th Mar 2010, 02:34
I had my recruitment day in Perth on the 06.03 (and got through to the panel interview), now Im hearing that there will be another one this Friday the 19th?

I still haven't received a call for referee checks or anything!

I am nervous now :confused:.... does this mean they were not happy with my group or do they just need more people?

Does anyone know?

Ps. If anyone was at my recruitment day and has been called could you let me know.

Gucci77
17th Mar 2010, 02:52
I heard they need a lot of people!! Did they mention anything on the day about direct entry to cabin crew manager? or how you can become one ? any news on trips from Perth?

THANKS
Gucci

LoveFlight
17th Mar 2010, 04:38
Hi Gucci,

Yay that doesn't make me feel as nervous. They actually didn't tell us much in regards to cabin crew managers or trips from Perth. We had a brief Q&As talk but all the questions were regarding cabin crew and a typical working week. Sorry I can't be of much help, but I did find this from the Aircraft Cabin Crew Award 2010.

Part 4—Minimum Wages and Related Matters
18. Classifications and minimum wages
[Varied by PR991554]
18.1 The classifications and minimum wages for an adult employee are set out in the following table:
Classification
Minimum weekly wage

Cabin crew member
Cabin crew supervisor (narrow-bodied aircraft, four or more crew)
Cabin crew manager (wide-bodied aircraft)

cabin crew manager means a cabin crew member who is responsible for the supervision of cabin crew members and the management of all cabin activities including supply and delivery of in-flight product/entertainment in conjunction with overseeing customer and crew safety, and initiation and performance of emergency procedures when necessary onboard aircraft. And also performs duties associated with arrivals and departures of aircraft, as required. :)

flyergirl
17th Mar 2010, 07:02
Gucci77, the short answer is that there is no possibility to do this at this point in time.

flitegirl
17th Mar 2010, 09:07
The normal pre-requisite for promotion to CSM at Qantas short haul is four years of service in the Qantas group. (eg, this could include years of service with Jetstar or QantasLink)

cheekydingo
17th Mar 2010, 09:17
Just to let you guys know as per the QF Cabin Crew agreement the weekly wage is approx $704/week, plus your o'night allowances and your Duty Travel Allowance.

flitegirl
17th Mar 2010, 09:38
There is no "overnight" allowance for short haul crew. The DTA payment is per hour from sign on to sign off at home port and is taxable for single day trips and tax free for multi-day trips. DTA is around $5. The applicable band payment is also payable for each duty hour credit, IPD pay applies for any hours worked over 120 in the rostered month, and overtime for a duty day over 8.5 hours.

Flapping
17th Mar 2010, 12:29
Seems to be abit of a taboo subject here. No one seems to want to give definite direction of what one can take home as a crew. everyone knows the basic salary package which is about $37K. But when added with all the flying allowances, although it varies every month, what would one expect to get yearly, $55K - $60K ??

even at the Q&A sessions, they only tell you the basic salary which is about $37K and at training its a little less then they quickly move to another subject.

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Flapping
17th Mar 2010, 12:31
to qualify for CSM, you have to be flying for a minimum of 18 months....not 4 years. And you can apply for the position when vacancies arise.

Gucci77
17th Mar 2010, 16:03
Hi Flapping thanks for info about ccm, Do you know if there is any vacancies for it at the moment? as i was a purser for long time with my old airline.
Yeh me too wonder how much on average you take home with allowances. Look at past links it looks like $36,500 per month. am i right?
Thanks guys for all your help!
gucci

Exceptional
17th Mar 2010, 23:44
Gucci,

You need to be working for the airline first before you can think about promotion. Positions can be quite rare and VERY sort after.
A lot of European and Middle East airlines recruit CSM directly but not Qantas.

Flapping
18th Mar 2010, 01:14
Hey Shortfinal...I went through the agreement and did a rough calculation. Yearly flying hours are around 1872, and its about $5 an hour, which is $9360.00 + salary of $36.5K...thats sort of a definite minimum of $45,860. then I believe there's other things added in as well...but no one wants to shed any light on it. Do you know of any friends in QF as domestic crew who will give a rough estimate. Even if it varies its not going to swing too much in either direction. Its really not very fair especially for those who have in the meantime built up careers and want to switch to cabin crew, they need to know roughly what the take home pay is.

Gucci - Qantas does not hire straight into CSM position. You can be flying for long time but when you join to start from scratch. Your current position will however give you an edge when you do apply for the CSM position after 18 months as a cabin crew.

GalleyHag
18th Mar 2010, 02:18
I have been following the thread for a while and I understand completely how difficult it is to get an answer about take home pay but like everything with Qantas nothing is set in stone, so it is even difficult to estimate, but I will try and help out. The base salary is exactly that, the base on top of that you get all the extra's as detailed in the QF Domestic EBA. At QF Domestic there is no bidding for trips therefore not as easy to control your fortnightly pay as other crew who are able to bid.

I spoke with a friend in Perth and they will sometimes have 150-300 hours of DTA per month. As you can see that is quite a variable as thats a $750.00 difference from month to month and clearly effects your take home pay. As some months he will do a lot of day trips and a couple of overnights meaning his DTA is around 150 and some of that is taxed due to day trips and other times he will just do trips for the whole month meaning he will have something like 300 hours of DTA untaxed being an additional $1500.00 on top of your base pay per month.

As I explained its not easy to estimate as the flying may and will change sometimes from month to month. My advice to you is if you can live off the base plus say 150 hours of DTA per month @ $5 than apply and good luck and anything extra that you get is a total bonus but if you cant live off that maybe QF Domestic is not for you.

Just my advice on the salary because you have zero control over your flying.

As for CSM promotion dont go into QF Domestic thinking that is an easy way to increase your salary. Very rarely has Qantas over the past 3 years offered promotions and as already noted these positions are VERY difficult to achieve at the best of times. Thats not to say you wont be successful but dont go into role thinking that way. There are prob hundreds of ex Ansett on board managers at Qantas Domestic not to mention ex Emirates, BA and list goes on and on.

nat the cat
18th Mar 2010, 05:29
Hi Everyone, you all seem confused about the pay and rightly so...you can't really give a definate....especially now you can't bid for your roster. However you should be looking at around $55,000 (give or take). You will also find a portion of this tax free (overnight DTA - daily travel allowance). Promotion to CSM doesn't come up very often...they are talking about letting new recruits apply, however you would need to have previous experience to do this short term.

Flapping
18th Mar 2010, 13:11
Hi nat the cat
thanks so much for that info. are you flying QF domestic?
:O

firyice
18th Mar 2010, 18:44
For those who attended the MEL base recruitment and candidate event days....has anyone heard back about these positions yet?

cheekydingo
19th Mar 2010, 00:00
Haven't heard a thing here, still confused about the email though.

vbsydcc
19th Mar 2010, 01:35
Hmm it's a bit dissapointing you can't bid or have a rough idea of take home pay. I really want to apply, have always wanted to work for QF but I think I'll wait till someone sheds some light. Am currently based out of SYD with Virgin with an average of 9 on's per month and a base salary of just under $48,000. So QF is $36,500 plus your DTA and incentive pay and as far as I read, you get a dollar amount per hour if you work unsociable hours/weekends/public holidays. Surely that's around the $55K mark but I also read that you will be assigned a reserve roster or a flying roster. That will def affect pay if you hardly fly during your reserve roster! Decisions, decisions lol.

CNSFLYER
19th Mar 2010, 08:59
Just home from the interview. Made it to the panel interview. Pretty full on day but one of the better interviews I have attended.

Good Luck to all :)

Gucci77
19th Mar 2010, 13:34
Hi
Nat the cat do you know when they might open upgrade for new recruits?
I am interested as i was purser with an airline in the Middle East.
Thanks everyone for feedback about pay!
Gucci

flitegirl
19th Mar 2010, 23:09
As already posted a number of times in this thread, Qantas does not recruit direct entry onboard managers.

Exceptional
20th Mar 2010, 00:36
Hey Gucci77

Direct entry CSM position have just opened.
Call recruitment hotline and give them your details.
With your experience you should be a shoe in

Best of luck :ok:

flitegirl
20th Mar 2010, 02:00
Hi Exceptional
where did you get that information from. There has been no internal CSM recruitment so I can't see there being any external recruitment.

nat the cat
20th Mar 2010, 03:04
yes I have worked for two well know airlines - 1 in oz and 1 in middle east. About CSM, very much doubt QF would recruit externally (the unions would not let this happen)....believe they would look at new recruits to apply for CSM internally. This would only be when positions arise...could be 6 months could be a few years...you just never know. Back to the pay, someone was talking about hourly rate for nights and weekend, this is correct it is $8 or $9 an hour (can't remember).

cokecropduster
20th Mar 2010, 05:19
For all those wanting the financial details...

The salary for a Qantas Domestic FA is $36,597. You will be paid around $5 an hour for every hour you are away from your base on top of that.

Plus, band money depending on what time it is in the day and what day of the week or year it is. This ranges from $1 for a weekday (70% of your flying in $1 or $2) $2 for early mornings to $4 on weekends. $7 on public holidays.

When calculating the extra money you will earn from the above, you will work around 120 hours a month flying hours (currently a little less). So taking into consideration your annual leave of 6 weeks a year - 1320 hours a year on average flying hours. $6500 to $8000 average.

Your yearly income will be around $45-50,000 (before tax), or around $1200-1400 (after tax) a fortnight.

There is no Year One FA, Year Two, etc. at Qantas Domestic. You will just receive what your agreement states. Currently 3% a year increase in wage.

No bidding for trips, and days off.

Good Luck to all.

flyergirl
20th Mar 2010, 06:06
Exceptional, this information is 100% incorrect. I have confirmed this with management.It has however been announced via crew voice that they expect to have some recruitment for CSMs soon(esp for Perth), however, this will only be available(as previous) to those already employed by the company. Whilst appreciating that this is not necessarily a requirement by other airlines, it still remains so at Qantas. Gucci77 I still wish you the best of luck with your endeavours.

Grove
20th Mar 2010, 20:39
Flyergirl.... I think you would find Exceptional is only trying to be funny... I certainly had a giggle....

Exceptional
20th Mar 2010, 21:49
About 10 different post say QF dont recruit direct CSM's yet 1 post (as a joke) says that they do the EVERYONE runs with it and its all of a sudden fact. :}

flyergirl
20th Mar 2010, 22:30
it was a joke. Maybe I'm just getting old, and my sense of humour not as subtle, but it didn't come across with any sense of irony. Maybe a smiley:} or something similar may have got the message across better...righto then, back in my box...:ok:

FrancesKate
22nd Mar 2010, 04:16
Hi firyice,

No news this end. Did they say we would know one way or the other within 2 weeks?

LoveFlight
22nd Mar 2010, 05:20
Well I had my interview for Qantas domestic Perth base on the 6th march and got through to the panel interview.....on the day they said we would know either way in 2 weeks......its now been over 2 weeks so I called Qantas recruitment and the lady informed me my application was still being processed, and I should know hopefully by the end of this week.

Just thought I would post this info if anyone else was wondering, and hasn't received any contact yet.

Grrr I extremely dislike this waiting game!!!

xxx

nat the cat
22nd Mar 2010, 05:21
sorry, have to disagree with band payment....they are no longer...you will only get paid for nights and weekends at a rate of $8 or $9 an hour....+dta....also no longer are the hours 123 per month...they are now 143 hours per month

for the people who were told QF would let them know outcome in 2 weeks...don't worry if it takes longer...in fact it could take a lot longer...it will depend if they can contact everyone's references etc etc...it is not a bad sign, they probably have not contacted anyone

firyice
22nd Mar 2010, 05:34
Hi FrancesKate,

They said they would get back to us within 2 weeks and if they needed any further info from us like updated references, they would contact us. I don't know if that means that everyone within a 2 week period will get some sort of response, be it positive or negative. I don't know what to think. They said so much without really saying anything concrete which is frustrating in itself. I'm hoping that we hear from them by the end of this week. I'm thinking that about half of us might get either a 'no' email or maybe another 'hold' email based on the fact that their training groups consist of 16 people only. Fingers crossed till then.

Col88
22nd Mar 2010, 06:31
I went to the recruitment day on the weekend of the sixth and seventh of march and last week got the phone call to offer me a position.. has anyone else been offered? anyone know the full details on training?

firyice
22nd Mar 2010, 06:53
Congratulations Col88, :D

I don't know a lot about the training details, nothing more than what you were probably told on the day. The training goes for 6 weeks and it will be in sydney. You will be sharing an apartment with another successful recruit of the same sex. It will be full on and your social life will consist of studying with your team mates.

Now that I've read over it I don't really know anything! Sorry I couldn't be of further help. Judging from when your recruitment day was and when you got the call...they got back to you within the 2 weeks waiting time frame. Its just a matter of time.

LoveFlight
22nd Mar 2010, 07:16
Wow congratulations Col88, did they give you any information about what happens next. Or did they offer you the position and that's it for now?

My friend just got offered a position and apparently he starts on the 12th April.

Apparently (according to him) there are around 8 different groups so hopefully I still have a chance :)

Col88
22nd Mar 2010, 07:30
Yeh they just said i start on the 12th of april and i have to go for my medical this week.. just went through salary stuff and said i would recieve a package in the mail to tell me all about it

cokecropduster
22nd Mar 2010, 07:53
Sorry guys I must correct a few things... of my own, and Nat the Cat's...

TIME MON TUES WED THURS FRI SAT/PH SUN/PH
0001-0500 6 6 6 6 6 9 9
0501-1500 1 1 1 1 1 7 7
1501-1900 5 5 5 5 5 7 7
1901-2200 5 5 5 5 7 9 9
2201-2400 6 6 6 6 9 9 9

The above is the Band Payments for Qantas Domestic.

The DTA or Duty Travel Allowance is $5.15 per hour, or there abouts, for every hour you are away and/or on duty. On top of the above band pay.

You receive your base salary for up to 120 hours per month. After that, you are paid an incentive of $18 something for every hour.

Chef de Cabine
22nd Mar 2010, 12:55
Well done to all the successful's! Did Qantas contact you prior to checking your references?

Flapping
23rd Mar 2010, 01:48
congrats Col88. considering that you just got interviewed early march this year.

what happened to those who have been waiting for the last 1 year?

Col88
23rd Mar 2010, 02:32
Thanks..

Well what happend was that the day after my interview they phoned me and invited me to a candidate event on the tuesday. I went to that and there were people there who had been on hold for a year and this was them getting invited back.. i think so anyway

aidab
23rd Mar 2010, 04:23
Has anyone from the Melbourne recruitment days heard anything yet?

cheekydingo
23rd Mar 2010, 04:44
Haven't heard anything since the email regarding the candidate event

flitegirl
23rd Mar 2010, 11:58
Yes that is correct. Qantas Airways now employs new cabin crew through it's subsidiary business, Qantas Domestic Ltd.

Whilst MAM still exists as a labour provider, it is unlikely that new recruits will ever be employed by MAM in the future.

Information about QD Ltd and QCCA (A380 crew) is at qantas.com

firyice
23rd Mar 2010, 18:48
I received an email from MAM letting me know that they are now recruiting for MEL base cabin crew. I also went to their website and it also shows 'recruiting now'. In their email they said that the applications close on the 25th of March (thursday) and that their recruitment days will commence on the 29th of March. Better get in quick!

MAM Aviation is recruiting for casual Flight Attendant positions in Melbourne
MAM Aviation provides casual Flight Attendants to operate on Qantas Airways services within their domestic operation.
We're currently seeking customer service professionals looking to positively contribute to the premium experience our Qantas customers enjoy every time they fly. This is a great opportunity to join a dynamic team, be part of a flexible working environment and start a career in the aviation industry.

Recruitment Days will be commencing in the week beginning Monday 29 March 2010
Applications Close: Thursday 25 March 2010
Ideally, you have previous experience in delivering premium customer service as a hospitality professional.
Essential requirements:

Minimum age of 18 years
Height between 163-183cm
Australian permanent residency and an unrestricted passport
An excellent level of health and fitness MAM Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports a smoke free workplace. Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander Applicants are encouraged to apply.

flitegirl
23rd Mar 2010, 21:10
I stand corrected :-) Well, it's good to see there are opportunities for people who are seeking casual employment. I don't know the exact MAM conditions, however I think they make crew commit to 20 days a month. That is nearly the same as full-time QD where you will be paid sick leave, holiday pay and get staff travel.

CNSFLYER
24th Mar 2010, 09:44
Just been invited to a candidate event in Perth tomorrow evening. I had my interview last Friday. Anyone else going tomorrow night?

Flapping
24th Mar 2010, 12:46
is there hope for those who went through the process last year?

aaafizz
25th Mar 2010, 06:32
hey guys,

In case anybody is stressing! A group of us attended the 6th/7th march assesment day! i think everybody that progressed to the the interview part of the day at the end then got invited to the candidate event which was held 2 days later! they rang us on the monday invited us and said theyd be checking references! A few people from the assesment day were then within a week offered a spot in the april groundschool! I guess they were just lucky! the rest of us are still waiting! no news is good news! i dont think anybody should stress too much a few of us have rung them up and they said they are swamped and they are still proccessing files and would let us know an outcome so either yes or no hopefully by tomorrow or early next week! from what i know most of the groundschool in april consists of people that were on hold for a year and a bit! then a few from the assesment days! heard they need alot of people so they are probably in the midst of sorting out who will be in the groundschools after the april one! everybody keep in mind they are recruiting big time for perth, melbourne and sydney so they are VERY busy! these things take time i guess! Good luck though! i know the feeling of wanting something really bad ;)

viipii
25th Mar 2010, 10:05
Hi flapping,

I think there is hope for anyone who has made it past the panel interview either recently or over a year ago. But I think we're all on the "long list", so to speak. (Though I'm just guessing at this and could very well be wrong).

I feel for you. It must be so frustrating and dissapointing after waiting so long.

Don't stop hoping though :)

sarainthesky
25th Mar 2010, 14:42
Hi there,

I have just been given my recruitment date for Mam casual... However, being previously full time cabin crew with an airline, I am wondering what rights you have as a casual...how many hours a month? Is it flexible?

CNSFLYER
25th Mar 2010, 23:28
Attended the candidate event in Perth last night. There was only about 16 there which was suprising. Overall it was quite relaxed. Will just have to wait by the phone now - waiting waiting waiting!!! :)

Flapping
26th Mar 2010, 00:08
hi, what happened at the candidate event?

CNSFLYER
26th Mar 2010, 00:12
An introduuction and overview of Qantas Domestic operations from 3 Managers. Then a group activity and that was pretty much it.

Flapping
26th Mar 2010, 00:37
do you think that was also an "interview" session to say yay or nay to the applicants or an evening to let you know what you're in for when you join?

abs10
26th Mar 2010, 03:20
Hey Guys,

Last year when I had my interview, the day went for around 5 hours!

Last year we had the candidate event in the same day as panel interview etc. We had a presentation on qantas domestic for about 45mins, then we had group tea and coffee/biscuits for like 45mins towards the end of the day. Why they are doing this seperate now I do not know........

For all of us who have been waiting a year, surely they would had let us know by now if we were unsuccessful......I think it would be a bit ruthless to reject us after this long.....

Also, about he pay thing, we ALL know that the pay is realistically average. Do yourself a favour everyone and only accept this contract if you are truely passionate about flying, customer service and qantas. If your worried about the money thing, It may not be the right move for you and could find yourself quite miserable.

Goodluck to everyone.

missym
26th Mar 2010, 03:54
Hi Everyone,

I was one of those who were waiting on hold from QCCA interviews from 2008.I had previously gotten through panel, reference checking, medical and security and was in executive review when placed on hold. A few weeks ago I was emailed and asked to attend a candidate event. It was the same as described already, they thanked us for our patience over the last 2 yrs! and then went into details about QD then 1 group activity where they were obviously marking us and then that was it and we were told we would hear within 2 weeks. No re-interview. Just a note to those waiting for the last year or 2 they were people at the candidate event who had not even had references checks or medicals last time and had only been through panel interview so people from all stages were invited.

2 days later both of my references were checked again. Then 2 weeks later I received a call to say I was successful and had an offer of employment on the condition I passed another medical which I obviously excepted! I re-sent off my ASIC forms and money order for security clearance but now just have to re-do the medical. Im not sure if I passed last time but assume I did.

I think its great that they now give you the offer of employment before medical so you dont waste time or money since they are quite pricey!

Sorry for the long post. Hope it clarified some stuff and gave hope to those still waiting from 1 or 2 yrs ago! It has been a long wait but persistence and patience has obviously paid off. Im so excited!

Also, Congrats Col!

Missym x

CabinDude84
26th Mar 2010, 07:55
Has anyone been invited to a AD in Melbourne next week yet?

Applications closed yesterday, and was stated on their website that recruitment would commence of the week commencing Mon 29 March. :ok:

CNSFLYER
26th Mar 2010, 12:52
So I received a call yesterday before the candidate event advising they would be calling my references. A few people at the candidate event last night already had their references checked yesterday. None of my references were called today so I'm not sure whats happening. I wouldve thought getting this far would be a positive sign??? I hate the waiting game :ugh:

jqboy
29th Mar 2010, 09:24
How do you have a mam date??

i thought all recruitment for shorthaul was through QD - Qantas Domestic?

madonnafan
30th Mar 2010, 00:24
Hi everyone,

I was interviewed last year and was on hold until early this year. I was contacted about a week ago, after attending a candidate event, and am in the April ground school!!

Not really sure what the procedure is as it seems every person is different when it comes to the recruitment process. Some people have already done their medicals but weren't contacted to join the april ground school while others who didn't bother replying to emails for updated information, have had their references checked.

Try not to compare your individual situation to other candidates as it makes it even more frustrating.

looking forward to meeting my ground school!!

mummyflightie
30th Mar 2010, 12:00
sorry am new to this - does anyone know if you can go part-time at QD. I would like a part-time cabin crew position because i am a mum. I know this is probably impossible and i would have to work full time first but just wondering how long it would take to go part-time.

AirborneSoon
30th Mar 2010, 22:01
I don't know about QF specifically but generally part-time positions are very sought after and not many are offered. It can take several years to get a part-time position. They do not recruitment for part-time directly, you have to start full-time and then go on a wait list.

If you are a working mum it might be better for you to apply to Jetstar because they only do day trips and that will solve part of the problem for you. You might also want to consider a casual position as then you may get less hours than a full-time load during certain times of the year.

Sorry I can't give you better news, but these are the facts all working mums in aviation have to face.

RollzRoyce
31st Mar 2010, 11:50
Hey guys if you need any advice or guidance with landing a job in QF feel free to Private message me. QCCD only require 80 cabin crew this year across 3 bases. syd, mel and per. INTL recruitment for a380 QCCA will begin end of this year. Start preparing now...

Rollz:ok:

coffee or tea
31st Mar 2010, 13:36
Hi everybody,

I attended the recruitment day for MAM / Qantas Airlines' Casual Cabin Crew today 31March at Melbourne City and had given the chance to be heared on the Final Interview.

They said final results will be advised within couple of weeks, so the waiting game is just started...huh! can't wait for the Golden call. Finger's crossed.

Pray..pray...and pray:)

Superlicious
31st Mar 2010, 22:06
Hey guys, I'm curious has anyone heard back from Melbourne??? I rang and they said we'd know by eary this week and I still haven't recieved an email, am I the ony one?? I hate this waiting game!!

Sonique
1st Apr 2010, 04:14
For those who are applying to ' QD ' ....please do not call it QCCD. There is no such thing as QCCD and there never was ( Pls take note RollzRoyce ! ). There is QCCA ( Long Haul ) but if you were to refer to the name in the interview or candidate event please use the words ' Qantas Domestic ' or ' QD ' . A little tip for you ;)

CNSFLYER
1st Apr 2010, 05:48
I have just been offered a position with QD based in Perth. Ground School starting on the 28th April. Of course it's subject to the medical and security checks.
Good Luck to everyone else who is waiting. Would love to hear from anyone else starting on the 28th.

Col88
1st Apr 2010, 09:19
Well Done to all who were successful!! I was just wondering if anyone knows where we stay in Sydney during training?

ilana182
1st Apr 2010, 09:52
FrequentFlyer11, they will definitely not assist in regards to funding to move.

Did anyone else get an email inviting to Brisbane Qantaslink AD on 9th April?

ParAvion
1st Apr 2010, 22:55
Hi All,
This is my very 1st post!
I went along to the MAM recruitment day held on 31st March in Melbourne.
Whilst being a very long day (8.30-4.30) I found it to be a very friendly and relaxed environment. I got through both stages and they've already contacted one of my referees (the 2nd proving to be a bit elusive). i've been reading others comments on being invited to an evening, does anyone know if this happens with MAM? I'm not sure of the process! They said they'd get back to us fairly quickly as they want to get a ground school running by end of April???
Anyway, it'd be good to hear from anyone else who went along to that day and anyone else who may be able to clarify the next step in the process!
All the best of luck to everyone :):):)

AgentCherryCola
2nd Apr 2010, 07:02
Hi,

I just got the call on Wed March 31st to start my training in Sydney on April 27th. I know a few other from my recruitment day start on April 12th and 18th.

They said they would get back to us within a week but for me it took 2 and half weeks.

Good luck, I know people from the melb recruitment day in March are still waiting to hear.
:)

Col88
2nd Apr 2010, 11:00
Anyone from perth starting their training on the 13th of April ?

CabinDude84
2nd Apr 2010, 11:18
For those that attended the recruitment day on the 31st, were the recruiters from Qantas Domestic, or were they from MAM, or even outsourced?
Any info would be great. I had to decline an invitation 15 months ago, re-applied and still haven't heard a thing :{

ParAvion
2nd Apr 2010, 12:01
Congrats on getting through, can I ask when your assessment day was? And was it with MAM?

ParAvion
2nd Apr 2010, 12:04
Hi CabinDude,
I beleive the recruiters were flight attendants from MAM.
As I said previously, the day was a long one but they were lovely and made us feel very relaxed. Keeping my fingers crossed for now!!

Perth Flyer
4th Apr 2010, 09:11
Hi

I used to work for Cobham and want to get back into QANTAS. Anyone on here transferring across from Cobham to QANTAS-how hard is it to do??

:)

Delphic
5th Apr 2010, 00:53
You can't transfer from Cobham to Qantas - they are different companies as you would be aware. It's a whole new application process.