PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Domestic - Wannabes & Recruitment

Pages : 1 2 [3]

sammay
21st Sep 2011, 06:27
hi i was at the recuritment day on the 8th september in Brisbane , and it is a very relaxed day i thought firstly you go at fill in a peice of paper with some details like mobile number etc then you all get called into sit at tables and do two lots of group activites, then you will go for a lunch break and will receive a sms if you have been successful to go through to the panel interviews, then the panel interviews you get a breif slideshow on the role and the conditions of the job,then you give in all ur paperwork resume, all that jazz and then you have your panel interview and thats the day in a nutshell you will be fine it's really straight forward. Good Luck

DKS278
21st Sep 2011, 12:23
Anyone know if Qantas is doing any recruitment/open days soon in Sydney? Thanks :)

chicka
21st Sep 2011, 12:55
MAM have a recruitment day on the 11th October in Sydney but I am not sure how many places are left

eeh
21st Sep 2011, 23:04
can anyone tell us regarding "casual roster"?
how many standby days, 4 sector flight shifts, per month?
also I believe you get "6days shift" in a row???, do you also get 5 sector flight shift a day?
thank you

Jecui
21st Sep 2011, 23:49
They also have an assessment day on the 4th October in Sydney I believe. DKS278, your best bet is to register online with MAM if you haven't already, and as quickly as possible. They have already had a few assessment days in Sydney and places fill up quite quickly.

To sammay, thank you for that information! How did your day go - did you hear back from MAM? What sort of questions do they ask you at the panel interview, are they hard? Would I be on the right track in thinking that it would be questions like, "how would you handle a drunk or upset passenger", "what are your weaknesses" or "what would you do if you saw a colleague being rude to a passenger?".

I read that you get a minimum of 80 hours per month and that some of those may include short haul international, but I can't remember where I read that as I wasn't able to find that information yesterday. It was possibly far back on this thread.

Danfromaus
22nd Sep 2011, 07:09
Questions are more focused on your past history. Questions that I had were: Tell us about your work history and hobbies. How can you provide premium customer service to our customers, have you ever gone over and beyond for a customer, if so what did you do. What frustrates you in your current role. Wwhy do you want to work for qantas as a casual FA.

sammay
22nd Sep 2011, 09:09
TEXT SPEAK

cabincat
22nd Sep 2011, 23:13
Does anyone know how many references qantas check? One of mine was contacted last week but my other 2 haven't been contacted?!

avgasjunkie
24th Sep 2011, 13:24
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Can anyone tell me if they have been invited to a BNE MAM assessment day in the near future ? Have relocated to BNE for my partners job and I'm really missing the cabin crew lifestyle.

Cheers

Avgasjunkie :)

GoldCoast1
26th Sep 2011, 06:22
Hey Sydney hopefuls,

Has MAM given any idication when they hope to start training?

Sam in Melb
26th Sep 2011, 12:45
TEXT SPEAK - BANNED

LadyJ1
26th Sep 2011, 18:42
Hey guys,
does anyone know how many hours a week or month the MAM crew are doing?

SOPS
26th Sep 2011, 20:11
Reading all the posts..it sounds like what Qantas is..a complete mess:ugh:

sammay
28th Sep 2011, 01:41
hey everyone im still waiting to here back after my refrences were completed last week has anyone heard anything more yet that was at the brisbane group interviews. hope to here soon goodluck to you all:)

vozz
28th Sep 2011, 09:53
Me too!

Still waiting to hear :confused:

umpalumpa
28th Sep 2011, 11:08
Oh my god! My references were also checked last week and still no news...
Seriously going mad!:ugh: Apparently Ground School starts some time in October (which is in 3 days) and I'm supposing we still have to pass medicals before (if successful)??

lysh
28th Sep 2011, 23:41
im also still waiting on brissy recruitment day had the reference check early last week. its nice to know we are all in the same position though, i think we had an awsome day and everyone was fantastic so it would be hard to choose between us all. i hope to hear soon for myself and also everyone else. x

Jecui
29th Sep 2011, 00:33
I know it's nerve wracking, but hold in there and be patient. Recruitment in the airline industry can be a very long process (I know of people who have waited a year and up for the golden call). A week or two, or even a month or two, isn't that long to wait in comparison.

Having said that, my recruitment day is still yet to come, so I'm sure being patient is a lot easier said than done :)

Jecui
29th Sep 2011, 05:51
There are at least two other recruitment days for Brisbane left - the last one that I can see so far is on the 18th October. Sounds like there will be more than one ground school in the coming months (unless the ground school is at the very end of October).

domestic11
30th Sep 2011, 02:38
Hi all,
Had my assessment day beginning of september in Adelaide
I to am awaiting the further steps like all other bases it seems- have had both references checked.

The process started of real quick with them contacting my references the very next day after the assessment centre? 3 weeks later - still waiting....
I wouldn't be to worried guys, it seems like all september related assessment centres have progressed to the same stage (all refs checked). Once they have completed all centres for this month and completed ALL reference checks for these candidates, then they will move all applicants forward together for medicals etc - just makes sense if they did it this way.

They are also VERY busy, just chill out and enjoy the process and save extra money to assist you for the 7 weeks training (you are paid only a basic wage during this training).....

Was anyone else at the Adelaide assessment day or anybody heard of anyone that has progressed through to the medical stage this month?

It seems everyone here that has gone to this stage had their interviews in August.....

Has anyone had the unsuccessful email yet?

Good luck to all and be patient:)

poppyseed
1st Oct 2011, 00:31
Hi all,

I received an email late yesterday afternoon saying that they would now like to progress my application to the next stage, being medical and security check.

For those wondering, I attended my assessment day in Brisbane on the 08/09, but I have no idea at what point my references were checked, I was too scared to ask my boss.

Has anyone else from Brisbane heard anything yet? Or received the same email?

Good Luck to everyone still waiting!!

lysh
1st Oct 2011, 06:59
TEXT SPEAK - BANNED

Jecui
5th Oct 2011, 04:27
Was anyone from here at the Sydney assessment day yesterday? What a wonderful group of people! Everyone (assessors and applicants) were so friendly and the day was a lot of fun! Got through to the panel interview and although that could have gone better I think (was a little nervous and it showed), I am still hopeful. The day was a great experience either way. Good luck to you all :)

ilovehawaii
8th Oct 2011, 04:16
Does anyone know any of the dates for October ground school? Or if there is going to be one in November?:)

poppyseed
8th Oct 2011, 07:20
Has anyone from Brisbane heard any news yet??

Jecui
8th Oct 2011, 10:04
From my understanding of what was said at recruitment day, there are going to be more ground schools in November and December.

lysh
10th Oct 2011, 09:49
TEXT SPEAK - BANNED

mrskip
11th Oct 2011, 11:44
Ive been accepted to start training for MAM/QF in Sydney in early November, can anyone tell me how the training is? Ive been told pass mark for all exams is 100%, is this correct?? Where do interstate people stay?? Any other info greatly appreciated.

miameow
12th Oct 2011, 03:05
Hey Poppyseed,
Was wondering how you were notified of security and medical check, email,sms,phone and if you have had to pay for those yet? When would you be off to ground school as I heard they are doing one in November also.

ilovehawaii
12th Oct 2011, 06:36
you will receive an email in regards to medical/security. They are quite expensive!

chicka
12th Oct 2011, 08:54
mrskip (http://www.pprune.org/members/254683-mrskip)

MAM Training
Ive been accepted to start training for MAM/QF in Sydney in early November, can anyone tell me how the training is? Ive been told pass mark for all exams is 100%, is this correct?? Where do interstate people stay?? Any other info greatly appreciated.

Hey Mrskip, the training is quite intense and they do have very high standards on what they expect you to achieve in your exams. 3 weeks are spent on Service excellence and then you have roughly 3-4 weeks of eps, this is very intensive, so you have to make sure you study as you need to retain alot of information regarding several aircraft types. The training is a lot of fun also :O As for where they put up people for interstate that depends on availability usually its the Holiday Inn. Hope this helps

Tainlovestofly
12th Oct 2011, 09:49
I truly doubt that the pass mark for exams would be 100%. Usually it is 80, although they will always say that you should 'strive for 100%', but it can't possibly be the pass mark. People would never get through ground school if it were. I know people who have flown for 20 years on heaps of different aircraft types and average in the upper nineties on their exams.
I just did a Qantaslink groundschool and the pass mark was 80%. I've flown before and still only managed one 100% on one of my exams. The rest in the upper nineties.

catman6
13th Oct 2011, 00:14
Hi, I was at the MAM Recruitment Day on Wed 7/9 in Brisbane , I was told me references checks were completed last week, I am just waiting for next step, anyone else waiting? Its been 5 weeks now!!

poppyseed
13th Oct 2011, 00:59
Catman,

I was at the Brisbane interviews on the 08/09, I got an email asking to do medical and security check 2 weeks ago. I really don't know what system they are using as I know some people are still waiting to hear after their references were checked.

catman6
13th Oct 2011, 01:06
Thank for that, how soon after you refeernce checks did you get the email to go for the medical, and where did you go for the medical. thanks

poppyseed
13th Oct 2011, 02:03
umm, i'm not sure when my references were checked, i think about 2 weeks after the original interview. The medicals are done at the medical centre at the Sofitel in the city.

catman6
13th Oct 2011, 02:09
Thanks for the info Poppyseed, I will keep my fingers crossed and hope they contact me soon!

Jecui
13th Oct 2011, 02:46
Don't be disheartened Catman - it can be a very long process and no news is good news :) Some people wait months while some wait weeks; it's just the luck of the draw sometimes.

I had my interview last week and my references were checked a few days later so it has been relatively quick for me so far (I am waiting to hear back now too). I am expecting a long wait though (the recruiters did warn us this was possible). It's alright - I see it as an opportunity to work hard to save money between now and then as I know my wages will be reduced significantly during training if I make it through :)

I wonder if being progressed to medical and security checks means you're in if you pass them poppyseed? It wouldn't really make sense to put you forward for expensive medicals if they weren't sure to hire you or not! Good luck :)

catman6
13th Oct 2011, 02:58
You did have a quick turn around, I will just have to wait and see what happens.

I wonder how much the medical is and do you pay it to the medical centre or MAM? and how much is the security check? If anyone knows it would helpful.
Thank you

Jecui
13th Oct 2011, 03:44
I took this from the MAM site:

Security Clearance $172.03
Medical - this cost may vary $200.00

moonie
13th Oct 2011, 06:35
I have just registered with MAM today. Am I too late for Melbourne? Does anyone know? I'm loving reading everyone's posts. Thanks and good luck:D

poppyseed
13th Oct 2011, 12:53
Catman & Jecui,

the medical cost me $308.00 + any vaccinations you need.
the security check was exactly what you said, $172.03, but it gets rounded up to .05c, as well, the post office charged me a fee for them writing on a cheque for me.
Some of the people who were at the same stage as me (medical & security) have already been offered places, but my medical was delayed so i'm still waiting.
If your interested, the next ground school starts tomorrow (14th oct) and the one after that starts 04 November, I am uncertain of the December schools.
Hope this helps!

sammay
16th Oct 2011, 18:06
Have my medical tomorrow and wondering how long it takes also people that have started ground school whats it like ? Hoping to get the 4th november intake goodluck to all still waiting to hear that were at the brisbane recruitment day.

miameow
17th Oct 2011, 09:11
TEXT SPEAK - BANNED

ilovehawaii
17th Oct 2011, 12:48
sammay, i had my medical on a thursday afternoon and got the call the following friday if that helps:) good luck!

poppyseed
18th Oct 2011, 09:20
Is any body starting ground school on Nov 1st??

brisguy
20th Oct 2011, 00:51
Hi poppyseed, I was at the recruitment day in Brisbane on the 8/9 and I got my golden call early last week :rolleyes: I start ground school on the 1st Nov, so i will see you at ground school.

Jecui
20th Oct 2011, 02:08
My application has been progressed to medical/security checks :) How exciting!! It says on the MAM site that you can still be unsuccessful after passing medical and security checks - has this happened to anyone on here before?

poppyseed
20th Oct 2011, 08:44
Jecui,

I read that aswell, and I was so scared of it because my medical didn't go very well, but I still made it through, so I think you should be fine, it's probably just a precautionary. Good Luck! hope to see you at 1st Nov take!

mangowaffles
20th Oct 2011, 09:16
poppyseed, can you give a brief summary of what happens at the medicals? like what questions/procedures they do etc..

also, i'm pretty sure i've had all of my vaccinations done but have no proof.. do you think that will be a problem?

and i also noticed on the medical forms... it said something about if we were successful, we'd have to go and get a dental xray.. does anyone know what that is about?

sorry for all the questions... just curious and want to be prepared!

Jecui... when is your medical?

poppyseed
20th Oct 2011, 09:29
Mango Waffles,

I live in Brisbane, so I'd say things would vary depending on which medical centre you attend. But I'll run you through mine, I got there, did a urine, drug & alcohol test, then a basic hearing test (which was soo hard to hear), Then went in to see the actual doctor, he ran through any questions I had answered yes too on my form, and asked me to explain what they were etc, and he just made notes on his opinion of whether it will matter or not, then you awkwardly get to take your clothes off (or maybe it was just me... jokes), he will check your blood pressure, heart rate (normal stuff), check to see if you have any hernias (which is just a slight push against your lower abdomen), check your height & weight, do a reflex test on your knees, check your wrists to make sure there is no pain in bending and that's pretty much it, unless I forgot something.
Sorry to bring the bad news, but if you don't have a record of your vaccinations you do need to get them all over again, I feel your pain though. Let me know if you want any more info! Good Luck :)

mangowaffles
20th Oct 2011, 09:59
thanks for the info! i did ring my GP today and they told me i've had my Hep B and C vaccinations but not A.. i'll try and get that in this weekend if possible. No idea bout the measles mumps and rubella one though

Did you have to get them all when you were there? if so, how much was it all?

poppyseed
20th Oct 2011, 10:21
I only had to re-do my hep A+B, I had records of the others. the first immunisation alone was $89.00 and the medical was $308.00, save your money!!

ilovehawaii
20th Oct 2011, 11:38
mangowaffles,
you can get a blood test done to see if you are immune to MMR. If you are immune to it you just show the doctor at the medical the serology report

To prove you have had the other vaccinations just get the person doing the blood test to test for A+B as well, then they will give you a report showing that you are immune.

I think I had my Measles one done in primary or high school so you may already have had it done!

Jecui
20th Oct 2011, 23:23
I've tried the local council, the Medicare immunisation line as well as the GP I went to while growing up and no-one has records of vaccinations going back that far. My mum didn't keep the records either. It's all a little confusing but am I right in assuming that they want us to get blood tests done before the medical showing that we have been vaccinated? If I haven't been vaccinated against all, should I get them done at my GP or at the medical?

Haven't booked the medical in yet but will do shortly once I get the vaccination stuff sorted.

ilovehawaii
21st Oct 2011, 03:28
Jecui,

I would get them all done before going to the medical it just makes it easier,
Keep in mind that blood test results will take between 1-3 days so its best to figure out what you need done before going to the medical!

Jecui
21st Oct 2011, 03:32
I had a blood test earlier today and they said it'd take a week to check immunity status on all those - will have to go back next week to get results and possible vaccinations. Then medical after that. I'm so pleasantly surprised on how fast things have moved with Qantas/MAM!

Would be interested to hear from some MAM flight attendants on their rostering schedules too :)

mangowaffles
21st Oct 2011, 10:14
Jecui

I went to the Doctors today to get my blood tested and he said it will be ready by late Monday, early Tuesday, maybe call them early in the week to see if its ready and make an early appointment.

ilovehawaii & poppyseed

Thanks for the info guys!, im pretty sure i've had my vaccinations for Hep B & MMR but better be safe and check it.. saves me money to get it again.

but just letting everyone else know who need the vaccinations, he said it was 90 for Hep A & B and 40 for MMR.

alyssa
24th Oct 2011, 10:25
Hello to everyone on this forum. Can someone advise if QCCA are still responsible for international recruitment for Qantas?With all the changes that Qantas are facing at the moment I was wondering.

Jecui
25th Oct 2011, 04:57
To those who have had their medicals already - could you tell me if they do a full blood count? Or do they just do a test (similar to what blood donation centres do to check iron) for hemoglobin levels?

A little nervous about the medical to be honest - the papers are incredibly comprehensive - so many things they check and it's hard to determine what problems would be acceptable. Hopefully there won't be any though! :)

Shaye15
25th Oct 2011, 07:40
There is no sort of blood test at all, so nothin to worry about :) I was also worried but the tests are fairly simple and not quite as thorough as I had expected :) good luck!

dizzylizzy
28th Oct 2011, 09:52
@ Alyssa: yes QCCA still responsible for recruitment into international division, given the business restructure these roles are being filled internally at the moment.

Jecui
29th Oct 2011, 09:12
Qantas have grounded all their international and domestic fleet 'indefinitely'. I wonder what implications this will have for those of us who are in the process of recruitment? :-(

argusmoon
29th Oct 2011, 10:15
As of now everything is on hold.
If things are not resolved the only people being employed by Qantas will be foreign citizens who do not reside in Australia.
Apply for Virgin Airlines now.They may be in line for some exponential international growth

Jecui
29th Oct 2011, 10:55
Are you assuming recruitment is on hold or have heard definitely? Ive already spend 180 on security check and about to spend $300 on vaccinations and medical examination for Qantas this week... It would be great if this wasnt a waste - I still really hope to be able to work for them!

ilovehawaii
30th Oct 2011, 04:56
i'm supposed to start ground school tomorrow... anyone know what is going on
:sad:

mrskip
30th Oct 2011, 05:25
Me too.......supposed to be leaving from MEL-SYD tmrw......I have emailed MAM to see whats going on...but off course they haven't got back to me being Sunday...fingers crossed...

ilovehawaii
30th Oct 2011, 07:00
yeah ive done the same! i tried calling but no answer.

My flight is supposed to leave at 0805 in the morning

mangowaffles
30th Oct 2011, 07:20
keep your eyes on the news, they're in a meeting right now and hopefully will solve something soon. the news site also stated that they could be flying again by tomorrow.

Jecui
30th Oct 2011, 22:54
How did those who were supposed to be starting ground school today go? Hope everything got sorted. Looks like flights will be back on this afternoon so perhaps you'll be starting tomorrow? Good luck everyone!

moonie
31st Oct 2011, 02:38
Did anybody else attend the AD in MEL on 26th Oct? Any progress? By the look of other people's posts here, it could be a bit of a wait. Fingers and toes crossed!
I see that MAM crew can be used for short haul international flights around Asia, but does anybody know if they are used on other international sectors too? Or are these filled by QCCA crew? Loving reading the news and posts here! Thanks and good luck to everyone!

bjkamp
23rd Nov 2011, 16:27
Hi Everyone,

I have applied for MAM BNE Base, went to Sydney yesterday 23.11.2011 for AD, and had the best time ever. To make your application run the smoothest as possible, you need to take ALL of the required docs listed on your confirmation letter that you receive one you register for an assessment day, including your references. If you dont bring them, it just holds up your application. Attending the day, is the ex-Qantas/MAM head recruiter, 2 LH CSM's A Qantas Cabin Crew Supervisor, a SH CSM, a Qantas recruiter who is ex cabin crew, and the head of recruitment for Qantas. They are all really really lovely. The starts as following -
1. Fill in reg form, submit your photo and have your height checked
2. Group Activity 1
3. 15 minute break
4. Group Acitivy 2 - Change Table so you do your second group acitivity with a differerent group of people.
5. You then are given 10 minutes to write a paper about yourself, answering two questions.
6. Lunch - The nervous wait for the text message to say if you are coming back for the panel interview. My group of people that I had lunch with, we waited about 30 mins. - WOOHOO I was successful.
7. Go back and discover that out of the 50 people that started in the morning, only about 20 people made it to panel.
8. Presentation - pay rates, what your are entitled to etc etc.
9. One by one, the panel interview start - usually around 20-30 mins - during panel, you are asked 5 questions - "Can you tell us about a time when you had to...............

Whilst panels are happening, you just wait in the main room with everyone else, and you sit with the CSM, and get your documentation checked off.

TIPS - BE YOURSELF, DONT TRY AND BE SOMETHING THAT YOU ARE NOT, THEY WILL SEE RIGHT THROUGH YOU. RELAX, ITS PRETTY INFORMAL, THEY UNDERSTAND EVERYONE IS NERVOUS - SO DONT WORRY ABOUT SWEATING AND THE NERVES, TAKE YOUR JACKETS OFF ETC. THE PANELS ARE PRETTY RELAXED. FORGET EVERYTHING THAT YOUR FRIENDS HAVE TOLD YOU.

PROCESS -
1. AD
2. REF CHECKS
3. FIRST REVIEW (EVERYONE AT QANTAS AND MAM REVIEW YOUR APPLICATION WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB)
4. MEDICAL
5. SECURITY CHECK COMES BACK AND IS ASSESSED
6. FINAL REVIEW (SAME PROCESS AS THE FIRST REVIEW
7. OFFERED GROUND SCHOOL IN SYDNEY 7 WEEKS NO SOCIAL LIFE)
8. IF SUCCESSFUL AT GROUND SCHOOL YOU ARE OFFERED CONTRACT "C"

FLYING PAY RATE IS AWESOME, THE ALLOWANCES ARE AWESOME, THERE IS SOME STAFF DISCOUNTS.

IF YOU REALLY WANT IT, YOU WILL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE.

GROUND SCHOOLS - DECEMBER 2011 - FULL, JANUARY - 2012 FILLING FAST, 5 GROUND SCHOOLS IN FEB 2012. AS OF 24TH NOVEMBER THEY WERE LOOKING FOR 200 PPL, AND THEY HAVE FOUND 100 SO FAR. TODAY IS THE LAST AD FOR THE YEAR - 24.11.2011.

I REALLY THINK THAT I ACED IT, I HAVE WANTED THIS SINCE I WAS 5 YEARS OLD.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Cabin_girl
25th Nov 2011, 08:51
Hi bjkamp,
I have also applied for MAM casual but Sydney base. My AD was on 28.10.2011 and out of approx. 30 people only 12 of us made it to the panel interview.
I received a call from MAM on 8.11. asking for additional information regarding my references. My 2 references were checked within that week. Today is 4 weeks since my AD and I still haven't heard from MAM. I kept in contact with 2 girls who also made it to the panel. One of them received an email on 4.11. that she is unsuccessful and the other received an email on 16.11. that her application progressed to medical and security check. The waiting is frustrating. I will be sending MAM email on Monday asking for possible update or if they need any additional info. They told us that we should hear from them in 2-3 weeks. They also told us they need 250 Casuals national wide and already have 120 successful applicants.
Good Luck, hope you don't have to wait to long for their decision.

Cabin_girl
29th Nov 2011, 10:56
I contacted MAM yesterday, after I have been waiting for exactly 1 month since my AD, asking for an update on my application and received a reply today:

Hello,

Your file is at the executive review stage, we will be in contact shortly.

Does anyone ever received same respond? If yes were you successful/unsuccessfull?
I think my fingers will stay crossed for rest of my life:\ if I don't get answer soon:sad:

Jecui
29th Nov 2011, 23:00
Cabin_girl, a month isn't too long of a wait so don't be too worried. MAM have said that it can take many more weeks than that for an answer, as they're incredibly busy (they've had so many applicants) and sometimes applications can be held up. They told us on our AD that they were going to take down where it says the 2-3 week timeframe on their website as it's often a longer than that. If you haven't had a no yet and other people from your AD have, then that's a good sign for you! The process went quite quickly for me but I guess I was lucky.

Tainlovestofly
1st Dec 2011, 12:24
Does anyone think Qantas domestic will ever hire full timers again? Or is it always going to be casuals from now until forever?

Cabin_girl
2nd Dec 2011, 12:52
Hi all,

My application progressed to medical & security check:) so I went ahead with vaccinations, 3 needles today OUUCH and they are not cheap. Hep A + Hep B:{ combined $84.30 and need to do repeat after 6 week and 6 months, chicken pox:{ $67.75 and Rubella:{ (measles) is free. Booked my medical at Qantas Jetbase, the cost is over $200 and security $172, First Aid $180 and RSA $85. So far the cost: Approx $790 and I heard you can still be unsuccessful.
Does anyone heard of someone who was unsuccessful after passing medical & security?
Good luck to those still waiting.

mangowaffles
5th Dec 2011, 00:48
congrats cabin_girl!

has anyone else heard any good news lately?

I attended AD on October 4th.. had my security and medicals done but there was a problem with my security clearance which took longer than expected to process (i spent 2 years living overseas)

hope i hear something good soon! like cabin girl wrote earlier.. it does get very expensive so if anyone has gotten an unsuccessful email even after their securities and medicals then please let us know =)

good luck to everyone!

Shelbs
5th Dec 2011, 10:47
Cabin Girl & Mangowaffles
Answer to Cabin Girl's question "Has anyone heard of someone who was unsuccessful after passing medical & security" Yes ME!!! mine was with Qantaslink & I was pissed cause I spent$500 and I have no idea why I didn't get the job? and I signed an agreement @ the interview saying I can me knocked out @ anytime and no reason will be given :mad: in my case I got a call asking if I could start in a week then she asked if I could give a Manager as an reference cause an EP's instructor was not allowed - I struggled finding an ex-boss people move around in aviation so gave my senior base which was probably why I got impersonal e-mail saying thanks but no thanks!!
I know MAM are a bit more professional & would not make you waste your time & money if you didn't have the job. You made it thru the executive review so they are probably just waiting on the paperwork :)
I know with skywest (perth airline) they offer you the job first and then tell you it is subject to Medical & security checks which is great cause @ least you know you got the job before spending money on the medical etc.

Cabin_girl
7th Dec 2011, 11:46
mangowaffles,

I spent over 10 years living overseas. Did they delayed your security check because you spent some time living overseas? Do they require security check from the other country as well? In the past I had to obtain criminal record statement from the other country to confirm I have no criminal record! (for immigration purpose) so I hope I can use it if they ask me to provide it.
Hope you hear some good news soon.:ok:

Shelbs,
I am sorry to hear that you received NO THANKS:( after you spend so much money. I find it so wrong what they did. All airlines should offer the job first and be subject to medical & security or they should pay for the medical themself like other companies do.

jesslh92
20th Dec 2011, 10:40
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone based in Adelaide could give me any general info regarding where their rosters have them flying to?

Thanks in advance :)

PhePheBox
26th Dec 2011, 06:09
Hey guys,

I had my Bne base interview on the 14/11 but because I was in Melbourne I went to the Mel interview.

My references where checked the following week and on the the 14/12 I received my medical and security check email.

I had my medical on the 23rd of December and now my fingers are crossed that I receive the call :)

Anyone from Bne base can let me know what trips they frequent?? Or any other Mel or Bne base get there calls yet??

DollyK
26th Dec 2011, 22:35
Hi,

Wondering whether anyone knows if Qantas are recruiting for LHR based crew?
Submitted an application but no news..

QueenBuzzzzz
26th Dec 2011, 23:29
DollyK, there is a Qantas UK Wannabees Forum, but it hasn't had a post for a long time. Maybe re-post your question there and bump it back up. I'm not sure about recruitment in that base. They did some this year and they can't go over a certain amount of crew due to our agreement. However, there are alot of QCCA up there on 2 year contracts that are about to expire, so who knows? If they come back to Oz and don't get replaced the base might be short.

kangarooboi
3rd Jan 2012, 00:56
Watch this space for 2012 ! Especially leading towards April :-)

PhePheBox
3rd Jan 2012, 03:01
Oooh I would love to do London :)

PhePheBox
6th Jan 2012, 01:13
Hi guys,

Recieved my golden call this morning,
Feb 13th start date, Bne base :)

Anyone else get there call?

Kodey
15th Jan 2012, 08:10
Hi Everyone,
I have been asked to attend at QantasLink Seminar in Cairns, I would just like to know what is involved with the seminar?
And if you are, or know of anyone attending it.
Thank you very much in advance! :):)

cheri
19th Jan 2012, 13:00
hey guys anyone going to MAM recruitment in melbourne 25/jan??
if so does anyone know what the process of the day will be like?

:)

Sydneysider88
19th Jan 2012, 18:35
It's a fun day. Don't prepare it's not what you'd think. Just relax and be yourself or it will show. Be very presentable as we had people in syd who looked liked they just rolled out of bed.

It's fun, you meet people, do some group things and go to lunch. The get an SMS if you're successful to go to panel. A long but good day. Don't reherse answers it will throw you off maybe.

JacintaMerri
19th Jan 2012, 21:00
It may be different from when I did it...

Get there EARLY. Like 8:30ish for a 9am start.

9am - Everyone gets name stickers
- fills in a form
-gets a height check, hand in documents

9:15 - brief introduction of assesors

9:15 - 11-12(ish...we were running overtime) group activities.
Our activities were - 1. we had to plan a group holiday and we were given pieces of paper that said something that we wanted to do and we had to compromise as each person had something different.
Then, with about 10 minutes left, they give us more info that basically ruins all the plans and we have to fix everything quickly.

2nd - you're a photographer, and you have to organise a shoot. You get a list of possible people to use and an attribute or problem about them and you have to pick who and why.
And then with 10 minutes, again, they give you more info about the people and you have to scratch everything and start again.

Really not much you can do to prepare for that.

After the group interviews you do a short essay and write a bit about 3 qualities of yourself that would make you best suit the position.

Then everyone breaks for lunch and waits for the text.

After lunch if you make it back!

You watch a presentation about the position that covers pay, conditions...everything!

Then you wait again while everyone does their panel interviews.

I was last to go and I had to wait over two hours! :ugh:

Tips

-Try and talk to everyone - small talk is fine and you need to appear approachable and friendly to assessors.
-Dress the part!
-Don't lead too much, but don't be quiet. You want to show that you can lead and follow a leader.
- Be there EARLY. If you can't be early to an interview, how can they expect you to be early to work?

And yeah....have fun. It's a really good day!

cheri
22nd Jan 2012, 13:27
:) thank heaps this was helpful :) now i cant wait!!

just another question sorry to bug you guys...
how was the panel interview like? 1 on 1 ?

Sydneysider88
22nd Jan 2012, 20:56
2 on 1. Pretty relaxed. One assessor scribed while one asked the questions.

cheri
23rd Jan 2012, 12:09
should we have our hair up or down on recruitment day ?
been researching and still not sure hmm.... :sad:

JacintaMerri
23rd Jan 2012, 20:49
Would you go to work with your hair down? (As cabin crew, of course)

Always dress the part!

Cabincrew88
24th Jan 2012, 07:27
Hey :)

Pretty new here read heaps of previous post and congrats to all those who have got it.

I haven't heard or seen anything here about Perth recruitment day do I thought I would post something. Just went for my recruitment day on the 18th of January got through first and second phase and waiting for reference checks I think... Well haven't heard anything so I assume it is that :)

Guess I just have to sit and wait for some information whether if I got into the next phase :)

If anyone else here went to the Perth recruitment day please share how far in the process you are at :)

Sydneysider88
24th Jan 2012, 08:02
We're all playing the waiting game :)

Who knows how long it will be. I'm saying up to 3 weeks to hear anything. My refs were checked 3 days after the interviews. So who knows.

Cabincrew88
25th Jan 2012, 01:56
Getting nervous now :s some of the people from my recruitment day got an email sayin they were unsuccessful this morning yikes :$

Hope I don't get that email hope I get through anyone else in the same position? It is so scary :(

Qflink-cabincrew
25th Jan 2012, 06:39
Hey guys I went to a qantaslink A/D in Brisbane on the 3rd November, have had my references checked done my medical and sent off all my paperwork. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? All this waiting is driving me crazy lol.

Tainlovestofly
6th Feb 2012, 08:40
Are you all waiting on hearing about casual positions or fulltime? I heard they were never hiring fulltime again!