PDA

View Full Version : Buccaneer Flow Control

Leave 5 on the glide
22nd Dec 2008, 14:26
Ladies and Gents,

I'm in the process of writing a final year thesis related to flow control, and would appreciate a little bit of help. Can anyone provide me with, or point me in the direction of, any info on the flow control system used on the Blackburn Buccaneer please?

Thanks very much in advance,

l5otg

deltahotel
22nd Dec 2008, 14:41
Unblown wing - normal flight. Blown wing - black magic. PM for more!

DH

forget
22nd Dec 2008, 14:42
Here's some kick-off info you may not have found.

The Blackburn Buccaneer (http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avbucc.html)

Low-level flight demands an aircraft with small wings and high wing loading to reduce bumpiness from gusts and turbulence, but carrier takeoff and landing generally demands large wings and low wing loading to ensure short takeoff, and slow landing speeds. Blackburn compromised by using a small wing that incorporated a "flap blowing" or "boundary layer control (BLC)" system.

The BLC system used a network of ducts that bled ten percent of the engine compressor flow and routed it to the leading edges of the wings and over the flaps and ailerons. It also directed engine bleed air to the underside of the high-set "tee" tail. The BLC system almost doubled lift at low airspeed, and also provided an effective de-icing system.

spannersatKL
22nd Dec 2008, 19:36
From what I remember.... flow control....more a case of the engines flat out to give the puff required on the Wings, flaps, tail!!! Bloody marvellous aircraft, learnt a lot on them in my early days!!!

Sir George Cayley
22nd Dec 2008, 19:45
Flash to CFMU Euroctl

Relax Guys, this thread not about you:ok:

Now back to the NA.39 thread

Sir George (I used to live near Brough) Cayley

henry crun
22nd Dec 2008, 21:25
From Spitfire To Eurofighter by Roy Boot (ISBN 1 85310 093 5) has three chapters about the Buccaneer.

Boot worked for Blackburn from 1949 to 1978, leading the Future Projects Office when the NA39 emerged, and he played a prominent role in the development of that design into the Buccaneer.

Leave 5 on the glide
23rd Dec 2008, 15:00
Guys - thanks very much for the info, much appreciated. :ok:

l5otg