PDA

View Full Version : Readback a clearance

SEV
7th Dec 2008, 16:39
Hi folks!

just a question, you are holding short of a runway and there is a traffic in short final, the ATC say "(your callsign) behind landing traffic on short final behind, line up and wait runway x". What´s the correct form to answer him/her?

1º behind landing traffic, behind line up and wait runway x and your call sign.

2º behind landing traffic line up and wait runway x ,behind and your call sign.

3ºbehind landing traffic line up and wait runway x your callsign , behind.

thank´s for help me!

airac
7th Dec 2008, 17:46
None of the above
The phrase should be "after the landing "
eg ATC " GBXXX after the landing( a/c type ) line up " rwy can be added if necessary.
you would reply accordingly.:ok:

At least it is in the UK

Surferboy
7th Dec 2008, 18:17
This is the way i was taught:

ATC: ABCxxx, behind landing [insert type] on short final line up rwyXX behind.
ABCxxx: Behind landing[insert type] line up rwyXX behind, ABCxxx

rogervisual
7th Dec 2008, 18:20
As Airac says it is "after" not behind. You also need to make sure you read it back in the correct order, the Conditional first and then the instruction.

Ballstroker
7th Dec 2008, 18:37
ICAO phraseology:

"Behind the landing xxxx on short final line up and wait runway xx behind"

UK phraseology:

"After the landing xxxx on short final line up and wait runway xx"

ATCO2
7th Dec 2008, 21:44
It depands about whose phraseology we are talking about.

ICAO says:

12.2.7 Conditional phrases, such as "behind landing aircraft" or "after departing aircraft", shall not be used for movements affecting the active runway(s), except when the aircraft or vehicles concerned are seen by the appropriate controller and pilot. The aircraft or vehicle causing the condition in the clearance issued shall be the first aircraft/vehicle to pass in front of the other aircraft concerned. In all cases a conditional clearance shall be given in the following order and consist of:
a) identification;
b) the condition;
c) the clearance; and
d) brief reiteration of the condition,
for example:
"SAS 941, BEHIND DC9 ON SHORT FINAL, LINE UP BEHIND".

SEV
8th Dec 2008, 23:37
My doubt was in ICAO phraseology, definitely "Behind" at the end.
Thank´s very much.

HHI OPS
9th Dec 2008, 12:08
I always thought in UK you have to say the holding point as well, when lining up?:

-> "XXXX after landing 747 on short final, line up RWY27L via N2W."

timelapse
9th Dec 2008, 12:23
MATS 1 says:

When line-up will take place at a position other than for a full-length runway departure the intermediate holding point designator shall be included in the line-up instruction.

Controllers may include holding point designators in any clearance to line-up as
considered appropriate.

At LL - it's always used no matter where you're going from just to improve situational awareness and also as a last-line of defence against saying the wrong callsign or something similar.

HHI OPS
9th Dec 2008, 16:01
Thank you :ok:

Ballstroker
9th Dec 2008, 20:05
HHI -> That's NATS best practice rather than UK CAA mandated. I nearly added it to my list but thought better of it.

Giles Wembley-Hogg
9th Dec 2008, 21:23
Ballstroker

NATS may say their controllers have to do it, but I certainly wouldn't call it "best practice"!

How many bits of information are in:

"After the departing Pan Am 727 on your right, line up and wait 28L at A2E"?

I dislike the new format as a lot of vebiage has been added with no gain in situational awareness. In fact, the numbing process of listening to the information and repeating it all back before it escapes my short term memory means that I often couldn't tell you what I had just said!!

G W-H

nuclear weapon
10th Dec 2008, 09:49
Line up and wait after the landing ac callsign.

Gonzo
10th Dec 2008, 10:11
Agree with GWH, I would argue that it cuts down on situational awareness, especially when you have a few intersection departures.

loubylou
14th Dec 2008, 21:26
Nulear weapon - don't read back a condional clearance like that please -
Should be "after/ behind the landing line up and wait" not line up wait after the landing - ta

louby