PDA

View Full Version : police cautions + atco application

sly69_ac
27th Oct 2008, 23:22
Hi all,

I failed at Stage 2 last year and unfortunately since then have received a police caution for fraud as I had obtained some goods for free which I stupidly kept quiet about.

I have no intention of trying to hide this, not least because it would show up on the disclosure anyway.

Does anyone know if it is even worth me applying again next year with this on my record?

Thanks

pelagic
28th Oct 2008, 11:35
A posting to an airport may prove awkward, The CRC will throw up the caution you received, and may result in a refusal of an airside ID from the airfield operator (ie- BAA). If you are expected to work airside by your employer, then this can be difficult to work around.

As for being already employed, again, in the airside environment, the renewal of an airside ID may also prove difficult.

Fidgell
28th Oct 2008, 11:55
Dont ask how I know, but it shouldn't affect your clearance - lets just say been there done that and Im an employee now! A caution isnt a serious problem and if its your only blotch wont prevent you obtaining security clearance at a centre or an airport.

ZOOKER
28th Oct 2008, 14:55
Fidgell,
Shame on you. :=
You should be sent on an open-ended posting to Botany Bay. :}

ZOOKER
28th Oct 2008, 15:00
Fidgell,
After further consideration, there is, in fact, no need for you to travel to the antipodes.
You'll be serving your sentence at the NERL Correctional Facility on the Costa del Saltcoats. :E:E:E

niknak
28th Oct 2008, 16:13
As others have posted, it's a difficult one to call but you should apply and be totally open and honest when filling in all the paperwork and if asked at the interview.
If your prospective employer (NATS or whoever it may subsequently be) is willing to employ you, then their support as a reputable employer should be enough to satisfy the airport authority security protocols.
Additionally, as an ATCO, your airside pass would probably be very restrictive in terms of going anywhere but the ATC complex and the manouvering area (if at all).

Fraud is fraud but it sounds as if you were on the lower edgeof the scale, there are Atcos out there who've done worse things.
Just be honest and if asked, ensure that you show a suitable level of contriteness for your moment of madness in the past.

The latest "informed sources" say that Fidgell is being banished to the land of Safeskys at Her Majety's Pleasure. ;)

sly69_ac
28th Oct 2008, 18:46
Thanks everyone, those responses were certainly more positive than I expected! It'll be around Easter before I start the process again so anyone out there in my situation (and can wait that long!), keep a note of my name and I'll let you know how I get along!

Vlad the Impaler
30th Oct 2008, 00:13
Not very proud of this particular admission but I had a conviction for drink driving many moons ago when I joined. They asked lots of questions about it (was about 3 years previously) at my initial medical to assure themselves I wasn't an alchy but otherwise was no problem.
Everybody makes mistakes, just be prepared to answer some awkward questions if they ask.

alfaman
30th Oct 2008, 11:23
Judgement & integrity develop by experience as much as anything else: recruitment know that, hence, it's not what you may/may not have done, it's more about how you deal with it, & move on - & it seems you're doing ok.;)

terrain safe
30th Oct 2008, 22:34
A guy I was on an ATSA course with didn't declare a couple of cautions, and when he was found out in the middle of the course, he was immediately dismissed. Tell then ASAP. Good luck.

BeT
1st Nov 2008, 15:03
Are you sure that the caution will even show?

Years ago I had a caution for S2 Assault (worse than it sounds!) and it didnt show on 3 record checks I had during that time - one of them was actually a 'more in depth' one (I forget the technical name for it) and it wasnt on that one either.

Dont forget that after 5 yrs cautions are spent and dont need to be declared.

Gonzo
1st Nov 2008, 16:03
Additionally, as an ATCO, your airside pass would probably be very restrictive in terms of going anywhere but the ATC complex and the manouvering area (if at all).

I'm not sure of the situation at other airports, but at LHR we have 'access all areas' airside passes.

Lost man standing
1st Nov 2008, 21:19
I know an ATCO who's been in prison for smuggling!

off watch
2nd Nov 2008, 12:24
I know an ATCO who has been in gaol for spying ! :) ( & the CAA kept his pay till he was released !! :ok:

the hunted one
5th Nov 2008, 17:03
LOL True story that! I remember it well!