PDA

View Full Version : Student to Instructor Ratio

rziola
13th Oct 2008, 13:33
Chaps,

Can you let me know what the current Student to Instructor Ratio is at your school for CPL/IR training? I wonder if perhaps schools like Oxford or Cabair have too many students and I merely want to get a sensus or how the situation is around the country.

Also, what has beent the average CPL/IR Completion time where you teach or study?

Malcolm G O Payne
14th Oct 2008, 19:43
I have been retired for some time now, but when I was instructing at Oxford we had six students - three one day and three the next. I would expect it to be similar now.

FlyingForFun
14th Oct 2008, 21:34
At my school, ideally two students per instructor. Sometimes we get one student, sometimes three - but two is what we aim for, and two is what works best (at this school at least) in my experience.

FFF
---------------

igarratt
25th Oct 2008, 09:03
I keep seeing there is a vanishing number of students and schools are having to cut back having to many instructors with the down turn but I am still finding trying to get training like trying to stop the tide coming in !.

Ok some of it is weather but I'm in between jobs at the moment and want to get my IMC and night rating before i have to go back to the grind.
I book multiple slots per week and available on stand by all the rest.:ugh:
Started my IMC over 3 months ago now but not even half way in yet.

If it's not weather its instructor, or plane or flying school.

I went over to Jerez to finish my PPL for the same reason starting to look like I'm going to have to do the same again :confused:

Ian

so if any of you guys (or gals) have the avaliability to do a intense every/everyother night, night rating let me know.

BigGrecian
27th Oct 2008, 20:48
Modular schools:
Standards Document 39 refers to Student/Instructor Ratios for PPL courses in non JAA states and we use the same guide back here in blighty, as we offer CPL training which falls under Doc 35.

We normally give the new FIs 2 PPLs to start with that's two flights per day per student with time for ground then move up to 3. We have full time students so that seems to keep everyone happy and running smoothly.

A student shall be included in the ratio calculation from the time at which his course commences until the course is completed. For PPL courses the ratio shall not exceed 6:1. Where students attend on a part time basis the ratio shall not exceed 6:1 on any given day.

We keep our Commercial/Instrument courses at 3 per instructor, therefore flying every student flying every day, but about 80% of time 2 per instructor therefore flying everyone twice a day.

Standards Document 35 goes on to say : (CPL/IR courses)
The training program should be arranged such that a flight instructor is not normally programmed to fly with more than 3 students per day.

VNA Lotus
28th Oct 2008, 00:17
pprune forum