PDA

View Full Version : JAA PPL Exercise Syllabus List

Mike Parsons
8th Oct 2008, 08:26
Hi All,

I have previously flown 7 flights / 5 hours in a Glider, and now am preparing, saving and doing the odd flight for training for my PPL. The plan is to save around £5k which will be around May 09, and then start with approx 5 lessons a month.

I have been reading up on the PPL literature needed for the course, and have had my first trial lesson which ended up in my log book. Apparently we covered exercises 4.1 and 4.2. Now I have looked for a definitive list of exercises needed to cover for the PPL and haven't found anything.

Also, flying privately with someone who owns an aircraft - I am under the understanding this would not directly count towards the PPL? Which is why I am after a list of exersises so i can write them in the remarks section.

So, can anyone post all of the points in the syllabus?

Regards,

Mike

Lone_Ranger
8th Oct 2008, 09:44
Well, im just at the reading stage in preparation to start winter/spring
Pooleys flying training manual lists

airwork 4a the primary effects each main flight control

airwork 4b the furthur effect of each main flight control

Mike Parsons
8th Oct 2008, 10:01
Thanks mate, have you got an ISBN for that book?

Slopey
8th Oct 2008, 10:20
A brief list is: (From the Highland Flying School Website):

Exercise Exercise Topic
1 Familiarisation with the aeroplane
1E Emergency drills
2 Preparation for and action after flight
3 Air Experience
4 Effects of controls
5 Taxing
5E Taxing emergency
6 Straight and level flight
7 Climbing
8 Descending
9 Turning
10A Slow Flight
10B Stalling
11 Spin Avoidance
12 Take off and climb to down wind position
13 Circuit, approach and landing
12/13E Emergencies (on take – off/ landing)
14 First Solo
15 Advance turning
16 Forced landing without power
17 Precautionary landings
18A Navigation
18B Navigation at lower levels and reduced visibility
18C Radio Navigation
19 Basic instrument flight

1800ed
8th Oct 2008, 10:44
You might as well get yourself book one of the PPL course. You can get Trevor Thom ones, or AFE. There are probably more available, but those are the ones I've seen and used myself.

(This kind of thing: Air Pilot's Manual Volume 1 - Flying Training (http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=1352))

Mike Parsons
8th Oct 2008, 11:32
Great, thank you.

Whopity
8th Oct 2008, 13:45
I am under the understanding this would not directly count towards the PPL? Which is why I am after a list of exersises so i can write them in the remarks section.

It doesn't count, directly or indirectly. Unless you are flying with an instructor, who will tell you what to log, you should not be logging any Exercise details in the remarks column. If you do, it could easily be misinterpreted as "Instruction for the purpose of obtaining a licence" when in reality, you are a "passenger". If you must log anything, enter "passenger"

liam548
9th Oct 2008, 12:32
me and my brother are both at the same stages of our PPLs, (Ex 12/13). Earlier on I used to sit in on his lessons and him on mine, I have put Passenger and the exercises he was learning in the remarks section. I did this as although not in control myself I am also learning, and the instructor is in the front teaching.

Am I right to do this?

what next
9th Oct 2008, 12:59
Hello!

Am I right to do this?

No. See JAR-FCL 1.080 regarding how to log flying time. ( http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%201%20Subpart%20A%20-%20Amdt%205%20_JAR-FCL%201_.pdf )

Greetings, Max

liam548
9th Oct 2008, 13:10
when would "passenger flying" be relevant to log in your log book then, under what circumstances?

what next
9th Oct 2008, 13:37
Hello!

when would "passenger flying" be relevant to log in your log book then, under what circumstances?

When flying under JAA-rules: Never! Your logbook is an official document that has to be kept according to set rules. Only flying time spent in a "pilot seat" may be entered there, as you can see in my link above. Otherwise it would be a "flying diary" and not a pilots logbook.

Greetings, Max

liam548
9th Oct 2008, 13:42
thanks for that. No idea why pooleys logbooks lists that passenger flying should be logged in remarks section..

VFE
9th Oct 2008, 13:58
Anyone have a direct link to an examiners check list for a PPL skills test?

Cheers,

VFE.

what next
9th Oct 2008, 14:24
Hello!

Anyone have a direct link to an examiners check list for a PPL skills test?

Sure :O : http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/DOC%2014%20V5%20.pdf (the checklist starts at Appendix 1 on page 15).

Greetings, Max

Whopity
9th Oct 2008, 16:29
When flying under JAA-rules: Never! Your logbook is an official document that has to be kept according to set rules.
But not in the UK. JAA "rules" have no legal status except those that have been implemented via the Air Navigation Order.

A log book is required in accordance with Article 35; it states what a pilot must log however, it is a Personal Log book, and so long as the requirements of Article 35 are met a pilot can put in it whatever additional information he/she likes.

As a passenger you are not subject to article 35 and what you write is up to the individual. The important thing is that it is not able to be confused with pilot time.

The document listed above is for additional ratings, not for the PPL, details of which can be found here:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_19_A.PDF

On the Spot
10th Oct 2008, 19:26
Liam548 quote
"me and my brother are both at the same stages of our PPLs, (Ex 12/13). Earlier on I used to sit in on his lessons and him on mine, I have put Passenger and the exercises he was learning in the remarks section. I did this as although not in control myself I am also learning, and the instructor is in the front teaching."

But buddying up with someone while they line and vice versa is a good way to accelerate the process even if you can't log it as flight time. You might call it elevated groundschool though
You can do the same when training for your IR and then log it as safety pilot (assuming VMC etc) and if the instructor does not mind

Whopity
10th Oct 2008, 20:23
You can do the same when training for your IR and then log it as safety pilot (assuming VMC etc) and if the instructor does not mind

The only time you can log as a "Safety Pilot" is, if acting as a Safety Pilot with a person who has a medical restriction, you have to take over control, in which case its logged as PIC from the point you take over.

liam548
11th Oct 2008, 10:24
yes. I didnt log it as flight time I just put it in the remarks section. I do not know of any other situation when you would log passenger flying