PDA

View Full Version : Plane overshoot runway DTM (germany)

Flying Bull
26th Sep 2008, 11:47
Hi all,

Friday, 26. Sep.08 - aerodrome EDLW is presently closed.
a 737 size aircraft went over the runway, nosewheel on soft ground.
No further informations yet.

Greetings Flying Bull

cirr737
26th Sep 2008, 12:22
NouvelAir A321, overshoot by some 10feet, nobody hurt.

Information source (german): psp pro news presse WIEBOLD TVnews GmbH - AIRBUS AUF ABWEGEN (http://www.blaulichtreporter.de/pageID_6605936.html)

GF4RCE
26th Sep 2008, 13:37
Just saw a A321 land long at DTM and ended up ont he dirt on lading on RWY06... Came in high touched down about halfway down the runway and the rest you can imagine-.... now its at the 24 (Dirt) end of the runway waiting to be lifted....

GF4RCE
26th Sep 2008, 14:01
correct.. had a birds eye view of the whole thing.... pax crew all ok as foar as i know... as for damage cant tell you exactly but most likely minor ...

babemagnet
26th Sep 2008, 18:38
picture here

JetPhotos.Net Photo » TS-IQA (CN: 970) Nouvelair Airbus A321-211 by Maik Korolczuk (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6367160&nseq=37)

dl3daz
27th Sep 2008, 10:14
The first article I found yesterday (German, automatic translation):Dortmund - flame hell of Madrid - the pictures of the flight disaster are only few weeks old. The passengers of the airbus A321 at the Dortmunder airport will have had the same scenario before eyes. Flughafen Dortmund - Airbus schießt über Landebahn hinaus - EXPRESS online - Reisecenter (http://www.express.de/nachrichten/news/reisecenter/airbus-schiesst-ueber-landebahn-hinaus_artikel_1222361838848.html)
:ugh:

CptRegionalJet
27th Sep 2008, 12:19
10 feet???
bad luck there:bored:

Pilot Pete
27th Sep 2008, 13:51
10 feet???bad luck thereWhen you trust to luck by touching down halfway along a runway it is to be expected every now and again.:rolleyes:

CptRegionalJet
29th Sep 2008, 12:24
The following comes to my mind:
If you overshoot a runway by 10 feet,your speed at the end of the rwy must have been very low.So why not simply try to take it on the last turnoff ???

Anybody familiar with DTM?

Doors to Automatic
29th Sep 2008, 15:00
Its possible the speed was quite fast on the paved surface (30-40kts) so too fast to make the turn but then a rapid decelleration once on the soft grass.

GF4RCE
29th Sep 2008, 21:07
the airbus was way to fast to take the turnoff ... from what i saw it tried to brake hard just before the runway ended and ground loop it with a right turn ... DTM is a critical to say the least with RWY 06 in use you only have 1400m from the touch downzone onwards... i don't fly airbuses myself and don't want to sound like an armchair pilot with the benefit of hind sight but it was quite clear the the airbus landed too deep into the runway almost or nearly half of the runway was behind the aircraft of touchdown which would leave 800-600meters or usable dist.... as i said i don't fly the bus but you can be sure there was some sort of excess energy when the nose gear came stuck into the mud as i saw the aircraft come to an abrupt stop. am just glad everyone was able to walk away....

Doors to Automatic
29th Sep 2008, 22:58
DTM has a massively displaced threshold for such a short runway. I'm surprised tht planes don't aim to touch down at the threshold once safely over concrete rather than go for the normal TDZ which can put you almost half way down.

PEI_3721
29th Sep 2008, 23:50
Maintaining a stabilised approach path, avoids hitting any close in obstacles that might be a reason for the displaced threshold.
This also avoids the risk of a heavy landing due to a misjudged flare with an increased descent rate.

If the aircraft crosses the ‘landing’ threshold at 50 ft (within a small margin), lands within the designated normal distance margins (approx 1000ft in), at the correct airspeed, and uses the retarding devices as recommended, then safety should not be degraded and the risk of an overrun minimised.
Unless of course the runway friction is not as anticipated.

Managing threats and errors during approach and landing (http://www.flightsafety.org/ppt/managing_threat.ppt).