PDA

View Full Version : FAA licence update

dont overfil
2nd Sep 2008, 09:56
I have had a FAA licence for 13 years based in my old type CAA licence. It looks like a bus ticket. Is there to be a requirement to update to a newer style and if so can this be done in the UK?
DO.

Pilot DAR
2nd Sep 2008, 11:24
I've got the same kind of FAA license, issued in 1978, based upon my Canadian license. Each time over the years I have spoken to an FAA representative, they have told me that as long as the Canadian license is valid, so is the FAA one.

I did stop by the FAA office in Rochester, Ney York, (where it was originally issued) two years ago, and they also said to keep using it. They said that it would be quite a long effort to apply for a new one, which must be done to Oklahoma City, and involves fingerprinting and similar measures.

Don't take this as the absolute fact, but it's what I've been flying with all these years.

Pilot DAR

dublinpilot
2nd Sep 2008, 11:45
If your original licence is still valid, it still has the same licence number, and you haven't changed address, then the FAA one is still valid, and can be used.

If not, (or you simply want to replace it) you must go through the foreign licence verification proceedures, which aren't that much hassle, but involves a trip to a FSDO in the USA (after completing some paperwork with Oklahoma first). I believe there is now somone in the UK providing this service, but only for €300.

dp

Fright Level
2nd Sep 2008, 11:54
As you already have the licence, I expect you can simply do it online at the FAA website (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/certificate_replacement/).

I see they want $2 for the replacement, but be careful they don't ask you to jump through the CAA verification process again, the CAA charge £40 for answering an email :*

Plenty of threads here on the topic, but here are the links to the required documents:

1. FAA Foreign License Verification form (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/).

2. CAA Licence Verification Authorisation (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=521).

3. CAA PLD Payment Form (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1187.pdf).

4. FAA List of FDSO Offices (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/) (in case you have to submit UK licence & collect new FAA license).

The above links are the ones you need to get a new FAA license based on a foreign licence but hopefully you won't need to jump through the hoops again just for a plastic replacement ticket.

If there are any "based on" licence holders that have an IR on their foreign licence, you can get that added to your FAA license by simply sitting the Instrument (Foreign Pilot) paper prior to applying for your "based on" license.

dont overfil
2nd Sep 2008, 12:18
Thanks folks. It seems my old format licence will do for a while yet.
DO.

dublinpilot
2nd Sep 2008, 12:21
FL,

The $2 replacement thing doesn't work for Based on certificates. You need to go through the whole verification proceedure again.

dp

172driver
2nd Sep 2008, 13:46
Not 100% sure about the following WRT FAA tickets issued on the basis of a foreign license, but:
The old style does not have the ICAO language proficiency requirement on it. From sometime next year on, you will be required to have this, at least when flying internationally. Therefore, it is advisable to get a new style (credit card size, plastic) now. Good deal at USD 2.- and it fits in a wallet (try that with the idiotic wad of paper the CAA dish out........).

Fright Level
2nd Sep 2008, 14:27
dublinpilot, doesn't surprise me which is why I posted the links. I had my "based on" for about a year then added the IR. Had to go through the whole FAA/CAA verification thing again. FAA charged nothing, CAA another £40 :*

Whopity
2nd Sep 2008, 15:14
Having changed the old paper one for a plastic one 3 years ago I can assure you you have to go through all the hoops; it was a complete farce for someone who holds a valid licence; even the guy at the FSDO said as much.

If you are operating Internationally, then the licence on which its based will require the English endorsement; if you meet the ICAO requirement by having that, why would you want to add it to the FAA licence as well? Double Dutch perhaps but Double English makes no sense!

dont overfil
2nd Sep 2008, 16:31
I've had second thoughts, downloaded the form, stuffed 2 dollars in an envelope to see what happens. I'll keep you informed.
DO.

172driver
2nd Sep 2008, 17:02
I did the whole thing online a couple of months ago, paid with credit card, and the new plastic fantastic license arrived in the mail about 2 weeks later. Easy, peasy.

PS: just to clarify - mine is a stand-alone license, not a 'based-on' one

gusspa44
3rd Sep 2008, 15:47
yep did mine online a few months back for $2 its a stand alone which replaced my old caa based ppl. If only our caa was as cheap and user friendly!!!

Whopity
4th Sep 2008, 12:26
If only our caa was as cheap and user friendly!!! I would have thought not having to apply for a validation or "based on" licence was much more user friendly! The UK CAA recognise any valid ICAO licence; no cost, no hassle, unlike the FAA system!

172driver
4th Sep 2008, 14:05
The UK CAA recognise any valid ICAO licence

Perhaps - but they don't issue you a UK one, do they? Herein lies the - to the best of my knowledge ICAO induced - problem.

Lasiorhinus
4th Sep 2008, 14:05
Are you suggesting I can turn up in your country with my Australian licence, and go flying in a G- registered hairyplane, without having to jump through paperwork hoops?

BHenderson
4th Sep 2008, 14:41
(4) For the purposes of this Part of this Order—

(a) subject to sub-paragraph (b), a licence granted either under the law of a Contracting State other than the United Kingdom but which is not a JAA licence or a licence granted under the law of a relevant overseas territory; purporting in either case to authorise the holder to act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft, not being a licence purporting to authorise him to act as a student pilot only, shall, unless the CAA gives a direction to the contrary, be deemed to be a licence rendered valid under this Order but does not entitle the holder—

(i) to act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose of public transport or aerial work or on any flight in respect of which he receives remuneration for his services as a member of the flight crew; or

(ii) in the case of a pilot's licence, to act as pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying;

The Air Navigation Order 2005 (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20051970.htm#26)

Whopity
4th Sep 2008, 17:33
Perhaps - but they don't issue you a UK one, do they?

A UK one WHAT? They certainly issue an ICAO licence.

Yes your Auz licence is valid as per Art 26!

S-Works
4th Sep 2008, 17:41
Quote:
The UK CAA recognise any valid ICAO licence
Perhaps - but they don't issue you a UK one, do they? Herein lies the - to the best of my knowledge ICAO induced - problem

Neither do the FAA, they just issue you a validation based on your UK licence.......

The UK are at least enlightened enough to just accept an ICAO licence as is in the spirit of international agreement.....