PDA

View Full Version : Working for Airservices Australia, the safety based organisation

sadatc
30th Aug 2008, 08:50
This is my first post and I thought i would share my experience working for ASA in the Last couple of years.

Lately there have been very publicised near misses/ tiba/ incidents involving ATC, mostly blamed on the ATC's and our union. The truth is, ATC around the country are the only thing stopping the country grinding to a hault.

Staffing is abysmal. We rely on one person turning up. Just one. If they are in a car crash/ get sick/ family emergency there is no one else to turn up. And when they do go sick, the only way to replace them is to call in some one off their day off. Very often, you will be called every day off, harassed for up to 6 or 7 different shifts. Usually there are at most 4-5 people to actually call. Often you will finish work at 6 am in the morning, and by midday they have called you and want you to start work at 4 to cover the evening shift. HOW CAN ANYONE CALL THIS SAFE???????????? Strangely enough ASA do. When you see a delay notam, it most likely means there is an ATC sitting at the consol for 4-5 hours without a break because there is no one else.

At any time, there might not even be a qualified ATC looking after your aircraft. To reduce TIBA, ASA introduced rules that said a room supervisor could watch the consol and traffic for upto 20 mins. They are unable to make any decisions so if there were to be an emergency such as a decompression and emergency decent, you would not get any traffic information. If this does occur and the air craft doesn't get the information, the controller on break would be responsible and stood down.
This procedure would be likened to a 737 pilot being able to be at the controls of a 747 to give the pilot a pee break, or a nurse being able to keep going on an operation while the surgeon has a cup of coffee. IT’S ALL GOOD UNTIL SOMETHING GOES WRONG.

Most controllers have not had any training for up to 2 1/2 years. Nothing! No class room, No simulator. Every so often you have to do a online training package, usually about corporate governance or maybe OHS (bearing in mind guys do a one person night shift and sit in front of a screen for hours on end because there are no staff) The computer based training is completely useless, we get nothing from it. We might as well not do it, you don't learn anything and its the only way we can get training. It is just a way to tick the box that we have done it without spending any money.

Air services is so poorly run, places like Karratha and Avalon which desperately need towers are getting busier and busier. Sooner or later there is going to be an accident, with all the 737/ F100/ 717 /A320's flying in and out without separation in amongst VFR and light IFR and what ever else you can think of. Flight Crew are so busy going in and out that it is dangerous. It’s an accident waiting to happen

People working as ATC are so unhappy, older guys often say its the worst they have ever seen it after 20 years. The moral has plummeted. New guys want to leave, the guys who have a little longer on their training bond are applying over seas and the older blokes are talking to the accountants and figuring out when they can retire. Many have gone over seas for job interviews such as Germany and Ireland, they are getting ready to go. Some groups can expect to loose about 40% of their staff to retirement and other jobs. Blokes who have degrees in engineering and things like this are also considering going into other jobs. Nobody is happy.

Its not just the money for the reason people are leaving, I think its more to do with the lack of good management, the ever increasing amounts of night shifts to save money, the constant harassment for overtime, the threat of disciplinary action if you don't do overtime, and the fact that nobody is happy to be there. It's sad that new guys so early in their career just with a few years experience want to leave. And to top everything off the CEO blames us for TIBA. The support staff that work in Canberra apparently hate air traffic controller, the last thing on their to do list is anything to do with the ATC staff. We are last priority. Yearly pay rises are often delayed because paperwork gets "lost" and things like this often happen.

The college is totally inadequate even for the standard 50 trainees, the amount of people who actually get rated from most courses is about 30% if they are lucky. And then if they try to leave Air services will sue them for the training bond. Nobody can afford to live on 30 grand for a year if they have a family, and then you have to factor in the delay of three months as experienced by the current course and then have the 70% chance that you will be shown the door if you don't pass.

The fact is, Why the hell would anyone want to work for this mob. They are a bunch of cheats that will use you until you have nothing left then chuck you out. Everyday they put money before safety of the flying public and its not going to change.

Mr. Hat
30th Aug 2008, 09:37
Time for you guys to go and sit on Mr. Albaneses front lawn.

peuce
30th Aug 2008, 22:12
Okay,if the Controllers really believe that there is a safety issue here, then here's what I think you guys should consider ...

The environment is getting somewhat murky with the Staff Shortage/TIBA/Overtime issue combined with current EBA negotiations. The ASA Management, and of course, the Media, are trying to link this all together ... ".. the Controllers just want a payrise and all this crap about staff shortages is just a smokescreen .. "

I think you should split the two issues .... run two seperate campaigns.

The first campaign should be the staffing/fatigue/TIBA/Safety issue. I would be saying ... "Forget the EBA negotiations, we don't want, nor will we accept, any pay increase for the moment and we won't start negotiating such things until a line in the sand is drawn and a plan is put in place to alleviate the current safety problems. We will work with you, but you better have a REAL plan, which doesn't include changes to our current conditions of service, in place before we move on to the EBA ".

Once that is resolved, move on to EBA negotiations .. in a calmer climate.

Am I dreaming :confused:

Spodman
30th Aug 2008, 22:12
The fact is, Why the hell would anyone want to work for this mob. yair, fairynuff, but the work is a certain amount of fun. I'd say that everybody that works with more than 4 other people probably has a boss that resembles the nether regions of a sick female camel, we just have a few more than most.

flightfocus
31st Aug 2008, 04:53
Have to agree with sadatc - unfortunately. It COULD be so much better.

Senior Management have been feathering their own nests with fat bonuses while controllers are seen as a pesky interference. Bit like many large organisations.

Correct me if I am wrong but our core business is keeping the aluminium apart. For that we have staff of about 800. The actual figure varies depending on who you talk to.

Somehow from that we end with an organisation of about 3,000 people. Yes in that number we have ARFF and Techs - both much needed.

BUT at my location we have 3 managers for 15 staff - and the managers think that they need another one ie: 4 managers. Then they report to a local Manager who reports to a manager who reports to a manager who reports to TFN. Anyway I think that is how it works.

Can you see the problem? We don't matter. "Keep separating the aircraft and shutup" That is basically LipServices Management style.

To make us feel warm and fuzzy they are trying to reinvent themselves as an "employer of choice". For them this means free coffee every Wednesday - but only at YMML centre, and only if you get a little ticket signed by a Manager.

And when you spend all you working life with us they will give you an A4 piece of paper in a cheap frame saying good on you - if they remember.

The place is incredibly dysfunctional. Ever seen a chicken without a head - if not look at Lip Services. Sadly all the holes are lining up and as much as NOBODY wants to see it happen, safety could be compromised sooner rather than later.

You should read OUR crash comics........ :(

bekolblockage
31st Aug 2008, 05:11
they will give you an A4 piece of paper in a cheap frame

Wow, framed!

I got a pen left in an envelope on my front doorstep when I resigned after 20 odd years.
Classy.

ferris
31st Aug 2008, 06:58
Peuce.

The problem with your idea is that employer sees everything as intertwined (and it is). If they get things like "flexibility" is allows them to roster more efficiently, thus saving bodies. Too bad if it screws the employees. Probably the biggest issue is; trying to run an organisation that has a big safety element as a "business". It's a problem of philosophy. Money (profits) and safety are often opposing drivers. AsA is (and has been for a while) seeing how far things will stretch. It's easy to measure profits, not so easy to measure "safety". What can seen from this 'stretching' is the effect on staff. Although AsA doesnt seem to recognise it, it's a people business. As can be seen from the posts you can find on pprune, even young, new employees take a very short amount of time to become disengaged. Yet the management don't even seem to care. I think a lot of that is because they have worked for the disfunctional organisation for so long that they think it's normal, and have no frame of reference. That's why words such as "employer of choice" get bandied about. They are just words, as nothing is actually done to achieve that title. There is an enormous divide in the organisation- the controllers are seen as overpaid, underworked prima donnas by the rest of the organisation (especially the management). AsA seems incapable of being the business it pretends to be, as the public service culture is rampant in "bull$hit castle". If it were a business, it would be taking business decisions about the staff, primarily the controllers, and actually start looking after them, instead of trying to do everything possible to upset them. Things that go on would have proper managers in hysterics. The 'creative interpretation' of EBAs, principles of rostering, etc. right down to micro-mismanagement of individuals. As an example; someone may be really stale, and desperate to want a change of scenary, or want to move back to their home state/whatever. A vacancy arises in that location. What does AsA do? Send the loyal employee of many years service? Or send someone straight out of the college who has specifically asked not to go to that location? Guess. Their reason? Only one training cost. Make both people happy and there would be two training costs. It's a business, so these things have to be weighed accordingly. But what cost to the organisation when the experienced person resigns to go OS/be an accountant/whatever, and the young person spends their spare time writing posts on pprune about how unhappy they are and what a crap employer AsA is. But the short-term dollar rules.
Short-term. Could describe many managers/CEOs.
Miserable workforce? Who cares- it isnt measured anywhere.

Short sighted.

Quokka
31st Aug 2008, 08:21
I think a lot of that is because they have worked for the disfunctional organisation for so long that they think it's normal, and have no frame of reference.

...and that is the root of the problem.

BurglarsDog
31st Aug 2008, 08:44
In the HF world this is called "Normalisation of Deviance".:ooh:

Has a nice ring to it !!

In a TEM context (threat and error management) it is a serious issue!

DogGone

C-change
31st Aug 2008, 11:47
ASA are very good at one thing.

They make Defence look like the worlds best employer, ever.

How is it that things have been able to go on for this long without the union talking "strike" or other such evil words.

When is it time for people to put their hands up and say enough is enough, this is not safe.

Bill Woodfull
31st Aug 2008, 15:00
How is it that things have been able to go on for this long without the union talking "strike" or other such evil words.
ATC do not want to strike.

TIBA is a result of mismanagement of Human Resources; Its a lack of recognition of fatigue etc by the Spin Men*; It comes from cutting rosters to minimise costs and profit maximisation; It comes from slashing training; It comes from creating an extra tier of management etc etc.

The remuneration aspect of this EBA from ATCers is rather low IMO compared to other ANSPs hiring/poaching but it will keep people, maybe not all but most [that have the ****s and are autonomous] - market forces 101 (See my comments abour trench diggers in the Pilbara).

Let me tell you mate, the numbers resigning recently is bloody alarming.

When is it time for people to put their hands up and say enough is enough, this is not safe.
We are doing that via the press and these forums etc. When are THE CUSTOMERS (eg AIRCREW not Airline spin doctors) going to say this is not safe? Where are the Pilot unions? Where is the Board? Where is Albanese?

*I'm not referring to my colleagues Clarrie Grimmett and Bill O'Reilly - they had talent, these 'spinners' don't.

Hempy
31st Aug 2008, 17:15
When are THE CUSTOMERS (eg AIRCREW not Airline spin doctors) going to say this is not safe? Where are the Pilot unions? Where is the Board? Where is Albanese?

Unfortunately, history will show that calls about safety deficiencies are only listened to afterwards....

I'm not referring to my colleagues Clarrie Grimmett and Bill O'Reilly - they had talent, these 'spinners' don't.

I don't know, some of the spin I've heard has more tweak on it than a Jim Laker off-break on an Old Trafford sticky...

missy
31st Aug 2008, 23:20
Staffing doesnt just affect day to day operations. It also affects training and essential project completion like data validation, procedures validation, and longer term project completion. Not to mention recurrent training.

Ain't that the truth. Staffing is a significant on-going issue that will affect ASA for at least the next five years. Australian aviation will continue to suffer because of poor management decisions made within ASA.

C-change
1st Sep 2008, 10:38
D.N.S and Bill,

I undertand workchoices is a pain in the arse and please don't think I'm having a crack at any ATC's but if things are not safe in your opinions, then you all need to stand up together and say this is crap, its not safe, enough if enough. I realise you don't want to strike but if staff keep on leaving, things will only get worse for those that stay.
Your custumers will not help you, they are to worried about their own problems to care about any of yours. Don't wait for them to help you. They wont do anything until something bad happens, and I hope it never does, then their lawyers will come after any individual that they can pin something on. If it happens to be you, are ASA really going to have your back, or will they blade you to get themselves out of the ****?

Is your union doing enough to help you guys? I dont have that answer, I'm not a member but if the NSW teachers can stop work for two hours on Tue over conditions, perhaps this is a direction that needs further investigation.

The average joe out there doesn't give a crap about yours, the aircrew, LAMEs and all the other people it takes to get them to their destination, so long as the get the fare on the cheap. The also don't watch the 7.30 report or read the Australian or fourms like these.
They watch today tonight and ACA.

Overall its pretty poor state when someone like sadatc, is so unhappy after such a short time. How long will this person stay in ATC?

DirtyPierre
1st Sep 2008, 11:08
Is your union doing enough to help you guys? Yes they are. The controllers are the union.

How is it that things have been able to go on for this long without the union talking "strike" Even before Kev and Julia came along, you couldn't just go on strike.

Anyway, this is not industrial. Our CA negotiation is, but not the chronic staff shortages that caused the holding at Sydney to blow out to 60mins yesterday and required us to stop departures out of BN and CG for SY for nearly an hour.

Oz ATCs don't need to strike or stop work to make their point. Its is being made each and every day that a new "delays and restrictions" or TIBA or TRA - due staff shortage NOTAM comes out. This happened 101 times in August. Controllers do come in on overtime each and every day. It's that there are not enough to plug all the roster holes and short term absences.

Being a controller is a particularly rewarding and satifying career. At the present time, the largest employer of ATCs in Oz has made the controllers workplace very unhappy.

BeGoneTFN
1st Sep 2008, 13:12
You have stated it as it is, there's no bs in your post its obviously heartfelt.

We all feel the same way, it used to be a great organisation that has been run into the sh*tter by an egotist.

Can you believe that I was abused for suggesting the RAAF guys look for work OS. When in actual fact I was devising a very cunning plan to free up some posies so some of us ASA wallies could get employment with the prefered ATC provider in Australia!!!! Whatever!!!!!!!!!

Might I suggest you cancel you message bank and turn all your phones off.

BgTFN

C-change
1st Sep 2008, 13:29
Dirty Pierre, I agree its not an industrial issue but ASA staff on this forum are stating that they are unhappy and that things are unsafe. You say that ATC don't need to stop work or go on strike to make their point and that its being made by the TIBA/TRA notams.

I disagree with you, all it states to the aviation community is that ASA don't have enough staff to run the airspace. Aircrew will go back and complain, opso's will re-schedule aircraft departures but nothing changes. You guys get more pissed off, some stay and some leave, training is effected, making things even harder and the cycle continues.

I'm not having a crack at the coalface controllers that turn up day in day out and bust their hump but you can only keep allowing the strain on the system to contiune for so long until something or someone breaks.

I guess with things sounding as bad as they appear on these forums, I thought there would have been a lot more attention in the media on the staffing issues.

flightfocus
1st Sep 2008, 16:05
C-change,

the industrial landscape in Oz is still mainly Howards anti union doing. I can not give you exact details (as I don't know them well enough) but I understand that there are legal restrictions as to when controllers can take industrial action.

This is where employers have the upper hand. Management can be utterly rubbish and run an organisation into the ground - as has happened at ASA - and staff have very limited means of instigating change. This is particularly so when we have ingrained ineptness and yes men at almost all levels. Political correctness ensures that people do not question bad decisions.

Additionally I believe that Air Traffic Controllers are also subject to legislation as an "essential service" that further restricts actions and empowers the pollies.

So yes - if we could walk out tomorrow to draw attention to the plight of the system - then I, and others probably would. But right now I am busy keeping it all flowing and hoping (against all hope) that the Minister steps in and forces the hand of the deplorable management we are subjected to.

peuce
1st Sep 2008, 21:15
You still ( at the moment) have the right not to accept overtime :confused:

undervaluedATC
1st Sep 2008, 22:41
You still ( at the moment) have the right not to accept overtime

yeah, but for how much longer?
see this thread:
http://www.pprune.org/d-g-reporting-points/338934-airservicesaustralia-wants-overtime-compulsory.html

I agree with Direct.No.Speed that 'USA has far more liberal rights & protections with respect to industrial action than Australia' So do a lot of other places. I mean, the obviously ironic name of this thread is 'AsA the safety based organisation' - yet we have no legislation for:
i) maximum hours each week;
ii) no official definition of what 'reasonable' overtime would be - although it seems to be at least 1 a fortnight according to AsA's wishlist
iii) a fatigue management system that only gets worried when we hit a score of 80 - equivalent in mental impairment to a blood alcohol content of 0.5 - (which is also TWICE AS TIRED AS M-F/9-5 WORKER GETS) - this figure is also set the same across the organisation - whether you are an outstation - on your own, with no back-up, or in a centre where there are at least other people to help you.
iv) we can't even get AsA to agree to maximum time permitted to be plugged in at the console (and this is an issue for some groups)

oldbull youngbull
2nd Sep 2008, 01:08
There have been several instances in Australia of un-protected industrial action from workers willing to draw attention to safety matters in the workplace.........All it takes is BALLS. Do you think people wont back you when the truth comes out?

Stand for something or fall for nothing?

If ATC's took industrial action NOW then the full story would inevitably come out. Management greed, incompetence and the staggering lies would be exposed.

Change comes about by good people taking a stand. The fact is there is a massive amount of overtime being done by controllers now. Come December we'll see how much gumption and fortitude controllers have?

Will you stand and be counted or will you fall for nothing? Will you lay down for 4%? Will you turn a blind eye to what's occuring if they offer you 6%?

This isn't about money anymore, it's about the destruction of an organisation. It's always had it's faults but it delivered a service in the past.

Old Akro
2nd Sep 2008, 03:08
I'd like to congratulate sadatc on his/her first post. It was articulate, logical and unemotional. We need more posts of this quality.

C-change
2nd Sep 2008, 09:22
I agree with oldbull youngbull. If things are as unsafe as people are saying, you all need to stand up and do someting. Waiting for others to save the day for you will not happen. Clearly the current strategies have not worked. If you sit there and do nothing, you become part of the problem and not the solution. You can keep doing the same old thing, whinge, complain and become bitter and miserable or you can do something positive.

Ok, if a strike or stop work is not your preferred course of action and people are frightened of retribution, then use the media. They can help you out if used correctly. They will keep your identity quiet if thats what you want.

Put someting in writing to your local fed minister as well as the minister for DITRDLG (or whatever it is now), you may be surprised by their response. Some of you out there write excellent posts on these threads and argue your points very well. You can also back up your claims.
I recently spoke with my local fed member about an issue and she was excellent and dealt with the issue extremely well.

You all need to ask yourself if you have done all that you can to make a change for the better, especially if it involves safety. If you can honestly say that you have done all that you can possibly do, you will sleep well at night.

Best of luck.

DirtyPierre
2nd Sep 2008, 10:06
Ok, if a strike or stop work is not your preferred course of action and people are frightened of retribution, then use the media.

I wish I was young enough to know everything like you mate! You obviously haven't been watching. It is in the media, daily, weekly and on TV. Sorry it hasn't been on Today Tonight or other lamo hard hitting current affairs programs hosted by someone chosen for their looks rather than any sort of journalistic integrity, just the 7>30 report, but the media can't be controlled like that.

Oh by the way, fear of retribution for illegal industrial action? I don't know about you mate, but a huge fine and prison are not in my monthly domestic budget.

Put someting in writing to your local fed ministerBeen done!

Its not about 'having the balls' - it is about being smart.Absolutely and positively. spot on direct.no.speed. The media has in the past used posts from this forum to misrepresent the issue.

If ATC's took industrial action NOW then the full story would inevitably come out. Management greed, incompetence and the staggering lies would be exposed.And they would be in court the next day. The world doesn't work like that, and controllers are far more intelligent to take such rash and irresponsible action.

The controllers union is handlingly the current professional, technical and industrial issues very well. We have a new President and Management team who have brains the size of planets and a strategy to ensure the controllers get what they truly deserve.

The journey, however, will be a hard one.

C-change
2nd Sep 2008, 11:38
Dirty Pierre, sorry I hit such a raw nerve mate but no need to be nasty. I support you guys 100%, I think you get treated like crap and get taken for granted by your management and I certainly dont believe that I know everything. Far from it, I'm not a union rep nor am I an expert in Workchoices and I don't work for ASA. But I'm still entitled to an opinion. Its just my thoughts on the topic.

Yes, I have seen info in the media but lets be honest, its not really getting much attention with the public. They are more interested in QF maintenance issues and cheap airfares. My reference to ACA/TT was because the bulk of the public watch them instead of the ABC. Greater audience, thats all. Yes, I did see the 730 report. Not a bad story but your CEO came out looking pretty good in the end.

Don't forget its your companies junior and senior controllers saying things are crap and unsafe on these threads (not me) whilst others leave.

I've been reading similar threads to this one over the last few years and not much seems to have changed with your staff situation or morale issues. I just thought more would of been done by now.

Good luck to you all.

oldbull youngbull
3rd Sep 2008, 03:16
And thank you equally to Kevin Rudd and Julia Howard for not having the guts to dismantle it

Have you got the guts to challenge it? Why would they change it if it's not challenged?

Howabout
3rd Sep 2008, 06:37
And, DNS, your union seems smarter than that.

I don't know, but OB/YB and his other mate (Sigrid Thornton) seem to be attempting to provoke precipitate action that, I think, they know would only backfire. Action, from what I've read, that you and all of your (responsible) collegues would regard as an avenue of absolute last resort.

I would seriously question their identities and motives and add that the respective join dates and number of posts pose further conundrums.

Something's fishy in Pearl Bay.

Bill Woodfull
3rd Sep 2008, 07:14
Sigrid Thornton LOL - smashing girl for a seaside beak.

I agree with Howabout.

IMO...

Go to work if fit for duty (including the overtime thats propping up the system), its not the travelling public's fault is it?;
Roll on 21st December, hopefully all facilitative arrangements reset to nil (ouch);
Let the punters fly all over Christmas and New Year;
At the end of the holiday and festive season, stop all overtime as instructed and IF instructed by the association;
Put the bounders to the sword in the AIRC in January;
If no joy by February, consider joining the 35 odd recently departed and serving notice to depart overseas (remember it should be a complete and utter shambles by then and Kev will have Tony in his office to explain).
Mr Jardine has picked two spinners and two seamers on a flat road of a pitch in the hottest week of the year. I don't think Bertie Oldfield will need to bat.

Howabout
3rd Sep 2008, 07:39
Bill, loved your batting.

As regards the Bobsy twins, I am reminded of your famous comment:

“There are two teams out there, one is playing cricket.
The other is making no attempt to do so.”

Regards

No Further Requirements
3rd Sep 2008, 10:41
Thank you SADATC. A well written post which tells it as it is.

All of you, think whether it is worth your while staying.

Cheers,

NFR
The Departed

C-change
3rd Sep 2008, 11:01
Howabout,

Sigrid Thornton-Very good, had a good belly laugh at that one (really I did). Nothing fishy from me mate, except the snapper in Jervis Bay, where I live. I'll send you a photo after Sunday's fishing session if you like. :ok:

As for cricket, I do play. On Sat arvo's because I get every weekend off. Sorry couldn't resist.

Hey, I'm not trying to provoke anything. You guys can do want you want, just surprised that more hasn't been done. If you're all happy with everything thats being done to get more staff, then I look forward to reading forums full of happy ASA controllers.

If you would like to know my identity, PM me and I'll provide you with home, work e-mail and phone numbers. No BS.

As stated earlier, if you're all happy, thats great but you may want to see if SADATC is doing OK.

NFR, hope the fam has settled in well. "Y"

One last point. Howabout, you joined Pprune after me but I did laugh at Sigrid Thornton.

Quokka
3rd Sep 2008, 11:41
NFR has a point. Work Choices has no penalties for resigning and the most effective method of negotiation in a free market is to leave.

More importantly, how can anyone stay working in an organisation that has little regard for the law, an absence of ethics and within-which personal values have been corrupted by self-interest, avarice and a disturbing satisfaction with gaining an advantage by inflicting pain and suffering on others.

How can you stay?

Howabout
3rd Sep 2008, 11:53
OK Sigrid. Maybe you are a contented body on the south coast of NSW. But your call to war won't benefit anybody. If push comes to shove and this ATC fraternity makes a wrong call, they'll be hung out to dry.

Fortunately, I don't think they are that dumb.

C-change
3rd Sep 2008, 13:07
Howabout,
couple of points ;

1. Yep, very content,
2. Never tried to start a war,
3. Never thought anyone was dumb, just unhappy and miserable, ie SADATC.

oldbull youngbull
4th Sep 2008, 03:48
Ohh no, My games up is it? OK I'll admit it. I'm from people and change in Canberra. (and I hate ATC's coz I secretly believe I add far more value to ASA than you lot!)

unemployed loser

If you have left yourself no other options than a 'career' in ATC who's fault is that? Hard to feel sorry for ya mate I'm afraid.

Too scared to take action because you've got no other options?

'agent provocateur' operating on behalf of the 'dirt unit' within the canberra 'chateau de merde'.

All a bit clandestine and paranoid perhaps? And who f#cking cares anyway? You don't think that will all come out?

I would rather be a smart and victorious, than a brave, large-balled, gutsy, unemployed loser who destroyed my profession and that of hundreds of my colleagues.

Really? I'd rather be 'brave, large balled, gutsy <insert self employed and satisfied> person who took a stand for what he believes in than a person too gutless to take a stand on his/her beliefs.

You might want to have a closer look at who's destroying your profession. Hint, he lives in Canberra and has two first names?

Your motto: Smart, victorious (but too scared to take a stand because I can't get a job anywhere else)

Go on admit it, this EBA is only about one thing to you: money, you'll secretly vote yes to 4% but tell all your mates you voted no. How about a show of hands where all your mates can see you for the no vote?

To me the starting point of this negotiation is the demise of the ar$ehole that is systematically destroying this organisation. I think you can work out who I'm talking about. Sh!t I forgot, I'm a management plant.

Bobsy twins

Don't know C-Change, never met the person.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, you might want to tell all your mates that it's not a good idea to come in off their rec leave to fill holes in rosters if you're trying to make a point about staffing.

Howabout
4th Sep 2008, 07:15
Jeez, I've seen some sprays in my time, but OB/YB takes the cake.

Sorry Sigrid, your post rings true. Enjoy the fishing - lucky bustard.

Unfortunately, you will be stuck with the handle - my apologies.

C-change
4th Sep 2008, 08:09
No problems at all, had a great laugh. Gotta keep a sense of humour. I'll put a photo on here if we do any good.

Howabout
4th Sep 2008, 08:39
Would love to see that Sigrid, but we may be guilty of 'thread-drift'. Regardless, enjoy the fishing and, for anybody else that's tuned-in, keep playing it smart.

I'm pretty sure that Airservices' management would love a public punch-up, which would divert attention from their alleged short-comings. It would also serve to galvanise (ignorant) public opinion around XMAS time. The union seems pretty well attuned to the potential machinations in this regard.

Sorry about using 'alleged'; I am outside the system, but sympathise with a dedicated bunch.

flightfocus
22nd Dec 2010, 09:51
Reading back through this it is good to see how much better things have become. It must have been all about the money

Coral,

Actually things are worse - not better. Lipservices are constantly trying to reinvent the EBA, they are going to extraordinary lengths to hide the staffing shortage/crisis from the airlines. Smoke and mirrors - denial ostrich management approach.

Rumour is that there are another 10 to 15 staff actively seeking employment in the sandpit or already accepting/negotiating offers. The Lipservices response has been to increase both the frequency and intensity of the beatings for the remaining.

You do not see any staff shortage NOTAMS because old TFN sent the message out to change the wording. First we had "staff availability", the "operational requirements" now I think its pink elephants and unicorns - or something equally misleading. :ugh:

Jabawocky
22nd Dec 2010, 11:59
Isn't it start clearance req due traffic management or
Similar ?

BurglarsDog
23rd Dec 2010, 11:00
Sad to see that nothing appears to have changed Downunder regarding worker/manager relations.
In contrast I attended a job interview a few weeks back and the first thing the very nice HR lady said to me was along the lines "Thank you so much for taking the time to come and see us, I hope myself and the company dont disappoint you" !
I was a little taken a back as I thought that would be the gist of my opening remarks.
First impressions definitely count, and showing that a company appears to value its staff certainly impresses.

Did I take the job ..........would you ?

Frohe Weihnachten und ein glückliches neues Jahr

BD

Ex FSO GRIFFO
28th Dec 2010, 10:49
Since I left the employ of ASA, the REPUTATION of the place has improved - SIGNIFICANTLY...!! :}:}:}

And so has my outlook on life in general...:D:D:D

Happy Everythings you'all..!!:ok::ok:

westausatc
29th Dec 2010, 03:54
As someone who left recently, I have to say one of the biggest pluses about leaving is the change of roster. Here in the UAE we work a MMAANNSOOO roster and it is at least a squillion times better than the rubbish roster I worked at home. Plus, once a month (on average) one of the M or A shifts is a standby so for the short time I have been rated, there has not been one phone call asking about overtime, as there are people on standby to fill holes through sickness, emergency leave, etc. Compare that to back home where it was rare to get a day off that wasn't interrupted at some stage...

It's not all beer and skittles here (as a 'mature' supervisor from ML aisle 3 says) but this roster is such a big positive that it more than makes up for it.

It's now time to go and get another beer. I have just finished my second night shift and won't be back at work for another four days so it's time to enjoy life!

general disaray
19th Aug 2011, 16:59
I'm an ex ASA employee. I was with the company 5 1/2 years and left before I was 30.
I loved the job, hated the company. I won't have an all out bitch, but when I tell people stories about my time there and they stare at me with shock and disbelief.
What still shocks me is that you have a group of highly intelligent people who allow themselves to be treated like crap and undermined, there best trick being that they convince the workers that they are unskilled, and will not be able to do anything outside the roles that they occupy.
When I quit, I was asked often how? I had no job to go to when I quit and no plans, but I quite cause being unemployed was better that staying and continuing to be told I was worthless.

I hope for everyone's sake that things improve in the company, as I left a lot of friends and it upsets me when they come to me and bitch about being treated to a level that is sub-standard in todays environment. But I'm not holding my breath.

Jack Ranga
19th Aug 2011, 23:39
Stockholm Syndrome?

undervaluedATC
22nd Aug 2011, 00:50
General disaray left after only 5 1/2 years (leaving before 5 years incurs a bond payment). That is a waste of his or hers talent, training cost, opportunity cost to the organisation, as well as to their own career.

There is little point in recruiting and training rapidly to cover the demographic destiny that is happening now, if there is no effort to change the culture that makes essential professionals want to leave.

AsA is pushing the majority of new recruits into enroute sectors = making them much less desirable to overseas providers = problem solved..... or at least postponed :sad:

Woodwork
22nd Aug 2011, 03:12
The majority of the world's ATCs are enroute controllers. It is, generally-speaking, the most in demand ATC role. However, because it's also the one in which the most number of candidates exist to fill vacancies, it does mean you're unlikely to see adverts in Australia to fill enroute vacancies in Europe unless you go looking. (Just as most of the world's teenagers work for a red-headed clown in a yellow suit - I've never seen him advertise, nor ever be short of staff, and yet I'm confident if I asked him for a job I'd have one tomorrow if I were flexible on location.)

undervaluedATC
22nd Aug 2011, 23:54
Woodwork - to be more specific:
The majority of new controllers are being funnelled into what is considered procedural enroute (regardless of complete ADSb coverage) - airspace 100's of miles across and long. There is a mistaken perception amongst some overseas ANSP's that because the airspace is so big, there is lots of room for the planes (conveniently ignoring route design) and so people with these ratings could'nt possibly cope with the same number of planes in what are typically smaller pieces of airspace (especially in Europe).

Baileys
23rd Aug 2011, 05:12
There is a massive difference between procedural enroute and busy radar - if you can't see that then get out and have a look around. That doesn't mean that a procedural enroute controller can't transition to a busy radar environment. A number of TOPS guys have done just that in recent years in international environments. It just takes a bit of work - but then again it takes a bit of work for anyone to retrain on new airspace.

I don't think the new guys will be at a disadvantage when it comes their turn to jump ship in 5 years.

max1
23rd Aug 2011, 08:05
For info.

They won't control me again | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/they-wont-control-me-again/story-fn56b2fi-1226118733486)

Jack Ranga
23rd Aug 2011, 08:37
To say Ms Fletcher's comments are repugnant is an understatement. As a male controller at Melbourne Centre I take offence. The other controller in this action stated from the outset that she had no problem with the male controllers she worked alongside IT WAS A SMALL GROUP OF MALE MANAGERS that was the problem.

One manager in particular who everybody in the room knew was a loose canon. A bloke who would not pass an aptitude test in any organisation for a management position. The bloke got a management position because most others rejected ASA's political agenda in trying to force applicants onto individual contracts.

Ms Fletcher, your blanket statement that Melbourne Centre is a boys club is complete bullish!t. Women are well represented in the management ranks, are being actively recruited for ATC and are treated just like the rest of us.

The manager concerned was an arseclown of the highest order and no, no-one has been held to account for his actions but you do yourself no favours by tarring us all with the same brush :yuk:

mikk_13
23rd Aug 2011, 09:51
It is well known that in brissy a female controller was denied moving and retraining on another sector (which included a pay rise for the effort) because there were too many women on the sector already and they didn't want her to get knocked up and cause a problems.

Plazbot
23rd Aug 2011, 13:30
Have heard Managers refer the Ocean Group as 'The Incubator'

max1
24th Aug 2011, 07:54
Jack,

I would have thought that you would have seen the journalistic
licenc(s?)e taken here.
Have a reread of Kirstys' actual quotes, not the inference the author makes. I think Kirsty is quite specific about where the issues are. Nowhere does she tar actual controllers with the boys club brush. The journalist does this. The way I read Kirsty is that she wants the standover tactics to stop.
Apology to Kirsty maybe?

Jack Ranga
24th Aug 2011, 08:33
Max,

I would have thought that you could see that there's more to this than meets the eye..............

Having terminated the 'managers' employment and reached a settlement with Jackie, Ms Fletcher wants to go on with this?

Do you really think that ASA would be that stupid (I know that as an organisation they are pretty dense sometimes) to terminate someone in such a high profile case unless they had pretty good grounds?

There is no 'boys club' at Melbourne. There is no porn being viewed by anybody at Melbourne. The one 'manager' that caused the problem is gone. There is one implicated that appears to be coated in teflon that has probably got a few questions to answer? But there is far from an on-going boys club 'culure'

There wont be an apology from me.

I have a great amount of respect for Jackie and it's a pity she's no longer around.

Blockla
24th Aug 2011, 15:59
As someone on the outside looking back in, I've a few comments.

There was indeed 'soft porn' being viewed quite openly in 2008. From lads mags to other electronic versions of it, occasionally not so soft, but certainly not much worse than your average UK tabloid page 3 section. I'm sure that if you looked hard enough, there would still be lads mags about; your individual sensibilities may say this is fine, mine do, but perhaps in the cold light of day it's not.

I think the management crew is a boys club, this doesn't mean you need to actually be a boy to get invited. "You're either with us or against us" certainly exists.

As for the reasons X or Y did what regarding legal grounds etc, is neither here nor there. Everyone gets legal advice, it's either followed fully partly or ignored, doesn't mean you have no grounds for ignoring said advice. Another lawyer may offer contrary advice. The good and bad thing about the law is, it changes as do interpretations of it. The grounds required to terminate someones employment are often a by product of the action taken.

I was privy to information in a case in the mid 90's and can say that more money was spent 'defending' the actions than was necessary to avoid the precedent it might set. That was settled confidentially too for a smaller sum than originally requested. However, the money spent on the defending action and subsequent payout was far more (multiples more) than originally asked for, it was about 'saving face' and not 'admitting liability'. I still believe that there was absolutely no case then it was a financial decision to settle by ASA; but they should have done so much earlier.

Nobody knows the reasons why one party settled confidentially (except that party and their confidants), but I would guess that it was expedient for her to do so rather than be fully satisfied with the outcome. Perhaps the other party to the original action has other priorities or grievances that needed attention. Perhaps it wasn't totally a financial decision and the confidentiality aspect was the bug-bear, we shouldn't speculate about it as it's still ongoing.

The fact that an individual manager has had his employment terminated may be irrelevant (certainly not for him). My understanding is he was the 'centre half forward' or the 'go to guy' perhaps there are other people in the management tree that are actually responsible for a good deal of the grief, they may or may not be 'boys' but they are certainly in the management boys club. So was he the cause or the messenger who now has got the sharp end himself?

Generally the managers I experienced in my time at ASA were good people, but they nearly always (to a man or woman) swallowed the mantra of the common good or sharing the management decision even if they disagreed with it, it was rare to get managed as an individual unless you were in the sh!t, but it certainly wasn't rare to get individual treatment from a range of managers if you weren't on their side (what ever that is).

Stockholm syndrome is alive and well inside ASA; it has been so good getting out, for me going back to Australia unemployed, is a far more palatable option than bowing my head and begging for a job back.

Good luck Kirsty I hope you get exactly what you are looking for.

Jack Ranga
24th Aug 2011, 22:32
Good post Block :ok: articulate & mostly accurate.

I think our definitions of 'boys club' probably differ somewhat.

Your observations of management are still accurate but I'd define 'boys club' as decisions made looking after one gender which doesn't really happen out here. The decisions made are equally bad whether you are male or female.

I object to an article in mainstream media that intimates that we all behave the same way, that is, the rank & file ATC is a sexist, misogynist pig. I certainly don't bring my children up with those attitudes or values.

Perhaps Ms Fletcher could have chosen her media a little better? If you know your words are going to be 'massaged' to sensationalise a story and to hell with the collateral damage, is it worth it?

aussiegal
31st Aug 2011, 11:51
Are managers referring to female controllers as incubators an acceptable comment?

Is referring to women as having the potential to "get knocked up" appropriate?

NO, it is offensive and derogatory and completely devalues the good work that many female controllers do.

It also supports the boys club theory that has long been around in many different AsA work locations, that's not saying it's always a bad thing but when actions are made to prevent career development on the basis of sex or potential to have a baby, or that a group predomently made up of women is referred to as an incubator is disgusting.

Some times when you have been in the job or at a specific location too long you can get so involved in the "culture" that it's hard to find the line in the sand because you've jumped so far over it.

Equally there are times when we can all be a bit too precious and that needs to be recognized as well.

Jack Ranga
1st Sep 2011, 07:11
Are managers referring to female controllers as incubators an acceptable comment?

No.

Is referring to women as having the potential to "get knocked up" appropriate?

No.

NO, it is offensive and derogatory and completely devalues the good work that many female controllers do.

Agreed.

but when actions are made to prevent career development on the basis of sex or potential to have a baby

Is this really what happened?

or that a group predomently made up of women is referred to as an incubator is disgusting.

Agreed.

Any ANSP that 'loads' a group with female controllers of a certain age would have to be morons. It is a fact of life that only the female of our species can bear children. The lead time to train a controller to replace a controller going on maternity leave is un-doable in these situations.

If you are going to actively target an increase in a particular gender to a workplace you are going to have to take into account the life circumstances of this gender. i.e. there is a strong likelihood that females between the age of 20 to 35 may want to start a family. There is also a strong likelihood that the female who has just had a baby will want to come back to the workplace part time. The ANSP WILL HAVE TO TAKE THIS INTO ACCOUNT WHEN CALCULATING THE CONTROLLER NUMBERS REQUIRED. ASA DOES NOT DO THIS.

Equally there are times when we can all be a bit too precious and that needs to be recognized as well.

Agreed!!

aussiegal
1st Sep 2011, 07:32
Hey Jack R

Sadly i have no clue about the using the quote thingy. However .....

My comment relating to babies was in response to one by Mikk regarding someone he/she was aware of, not in relation to the article.

I completely agree with you in relation to loading groups up, or actively recruiting females and then acting all hurt and surprised when they start a family and need to work part time!

Jack Ranga
1st Sep 2011, 07:58
No worries, understood.

I was brought up by a single parent (Mum) whose work ethic was unchallenged.

I'm working alongside a female acting ALM whose management is far superior to the male ALM she is acting for. To say the 'manager' referenced by the article is repugnant is being nice to him. He was an isolated case but there's more to the article than meets the eye ;)

All of ASA's targeted recruitment is window dressing designed to make them look good. They don't resource this group the way it should be. It puts pressure on the controllers left to carry the load (both male and female).

Baileys
1st Sep 2011, 09:22
You are not a human - you are a number on an excel spreadsheet in a Canberra office. You have no right to have a life - ASA is more important. You have no right to have a baby when you want to - you should be checking when it suits your employer's spreadsheet. You have no right to take leave when you want it - it is when you are told you can have it. You don't really have any right to uninterrupted days off - you should be working overtime. Long Service Leave - just forget about it.

How many years has this been going on? Well I think about 10 years now. It's about time you all accepted your destiny. You lot really need to fall into line before the next CA negotiation - you are only going to get annual CPI pay rise plus a reduction in your conditions of employment to "pay" for it anyway.

That's the truth from my armchair.

Roger Standby
5th Sep 2011, 14:53
Always ready to fire across the bows Jack!?!

The boys club you deny exists allegedly includes the one who is gone, the teflon coated one, a senior manager "General"ly speaking and the former head of security. If that isn't an interesting list, I don't know what is.

Jack Ranga
5th Sep 2011, 23:07
Always ready to fire across the bows Jack!?!

Not so much talking about the management Roger, as I have stated. I'm talking about identifying us all in with that lot.

But you and your ilk keep distorting my posts, that's ok. You're like most of your comrades, can't see another point of view unless it's 100% the same as yours.

frangatang
6th Sep 2011, 06:10
Oi have heard Blockrs voice many toimes heading across dee atlantic. Rumour has it at least one antipodean has departed oirland due severe depression and blow me down there was an Aussie accent on ATC coming into heathrow the other day. Whats going on Blocka?!

Blockla
6th Sep 2011, 08:53
one antipodean has departed oirland due severe depressionNews to me (there aren't many here so I'd have heard)... Not sure about any Ozzies in London; there was one a few years back, but he's now in Canada AFAIK. Most of the Expat "Irish contracts" are coming to an end (as they only gave max of 12 month extension on the original 3 year deals), I'm going to the other side of the equator soon... I think there will be only three antipodeans on the green rock (including Dublin) in 3 months time; probably all but 1 gone (who's permanent) within 12 months, including the 4 new Swedes/Norgs, who only had 18 month deals.

KeepItRolling
6th Sep 2011, 23:00
Getting warmer, Block?

ML been cool but dry this winter, why not come back and see how much the clowns have improved?:E

frangatang
7th Sep 2011, 04:50
Aagh, that bit about leaving was from a MEL atco l know,will have to put the good LADY right!

bigbrother
7th Sep 2011, 22:04
as a currently employed airline pilot, and past ATC, I am dismayed at the regular instances of poor management. Pilots and ATCO's each have to pass rigorous testing and assessment, yet the same is not expected of management. What's good for the goose.........

Roger Standby
11th Sep 2011, 06:13
Jack,

I would have thought that you of all people would keep an open mind about what makes it to print in the media. Do you really think she was talking about you and I?

You know who I am so I'm surprised that you cast me into a particular "ilk". Most of the time I agree with what you have to say. Close minded? Interesting observation. Not sure you want to get too personal, tho.

Jack Ranga
11th Sep 2011, 08:30
Roger,

The argument I put forward and have always done so right from the start of this is that both the girls involved had 100% support from the rank and file controllers. We weren't the problem and that was stated by one of the girls.

ASA has been very clever in turning this whole affair around to a problem in the 'rank and file' when it was purely a management issue. The posters plastered all over the rec room walls when clearly they should have been hung up in managers offices.

And once again, Kirsty should have known when she was talking to a toilet paper, rag of a newspaper that they would have manipulated her comments. Why not state from the outset that it wasn't anything to do with the rank and file, that it was MANAGERS, why not state it over and over again until they got the message.

See all of my argument not just the bits in isolation that you and a few others like to drag out.

At least you have the gumption to post your comments.

Roger Standby
11th Sep 2011, 15:51
Jack,

both the girls involved had 100% support from the rank and file controllers

Agree

ASA has been very clever in turning this whole affair around to a problem in the 'rank and file' when it was purely a management issue

Agree

The posters plastered all over the rec room walls when clearly they should have been hung up in managers offices.

Agree. And I know very well who put them up. I think the reason for those is to reinforce to the members that we need to be vigilant that we don't cross the line. It's not an accusation. Even in this day and age, people still overstep the mark at times without meaning to cause offence within the workplace. It's supposed to be thought provoking, not accusatory.

should have known when she was talking to a toilet paper, rag of a newspaper that they would have manipulated her comments. Why not state from the outset that it wasn't anything to do with the rank and file, that it was MANAGERS

Probably. I don't think she's been quoted since, but I'll certainly pass that point on to her.

I don't want to drag anything out. Infighting gets us nowhere. Management must love that they've managed to deflect a bit of it on to us. Quite frankly, I find that their solution to management bullying and harassment was giving the staff a suck eggs computer based training module on said harassment, disgusting and offensive in it's own right. But that's what we're dealing with these days. I suspect it's going to get far, far worse over the next 6 to 12 months.

Jack Ranga
12th Sep 2011, 22:07
It was not my intention to question Kirsty's integrity or character and for that I apologise.

My motivations were in how the rest of us were portrayed in this matter. As is usual, management have been devious in dealing with this matter and have let a great many people down.

The way that I have responded in this matter could have been mis-construed and I regret posting on this matter on this forum. I could have handled this better.

Sunfish
18th Dec 2011, 16:50
If the allegations made below are true, then one factor in the eventual Qantas/Jetstar smoking hole in the ground will be the behaviour of Air traffic control.

Women 'bullied, degraded' at air-traffic centre
Richard Baker and Nick McKenzie
December 19, 2011

Kirsty Fletcher

SENIOR managers responsible for Australia's air-traffic controllers allegedly ignored pervasive bullying, the distribution of pornography and degrading behaviour towards women, including an email threat by a manager to ''kick their [female workers'] arse till their nose bleeds''.

The allegations about the managerial conduct at Airservices Australia are contained in an amended writ filed in the Federal Court by air-traffic controller Kirsty Fletcher, who is suing ASA for discrimination.

Ms Fletcher and fellow air-traffic controller Jacki Macdonald made headlines last year when they went public with their lawsuit and allegations of a rampant culture of pornography within ASA's Melbourne operations centre. Ms Macdonald has since settled her legal action.
Advertisement: Story continues below

In Ms Fletcher's amended statement of claim, filed last week, fresh allegations have been made against several past and present senior managers, including Peter Holmes, Chris Bren-Clarke, Nicole Connelly, Andrew Ploog and their ultimate supervisor at Melbourne, Rod Sciortino.

Ms Fletcher has named senior managers at the Melbourne centre, which is responsible for controlling air space over Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Hobart, who allegedly received or were aware of pornographic emails sent by Mr Holmes while on duty. They include Mr Sciortino, Mr Bren-Clarke and Mr Ploog.

She accused ASA management of failing to properly investigate a whistleblower complaint about the distribution of pornography by not engaging a computer expert to retrieve emails and by having another ASA employee - who Ms Fletcher claimed was a friend of Mr Holmes and had received porn from him - conduct the initial inquiry.

The statement also accused Mr Holmes, who was forced out of ASA in 2009, of discriminating against female air-traffic controllers when they became pregnant or wanted to work part-time for family reasons.

Mr Holmes is accused of denying pregnant women training opportunities and making derogatory comments such as ''it is well known that women get dumber when they were pregnant'' and referring to a pregnant employee as the ''fat chick''.

Senior management is accused of failing to act on complaints about Mr Holmes' attitude towards women.

The amended writ refers to an email unearthed by Josh Bornstein from Maurice Blackburn, in which senior manager Trevor McKeon admitted Mr Holmes was authorised by his superiors to take a ''baseball bat'' to employees.

''[Holmes] was given a baseball bat to go in there and make them happy with a baseball bat and he would love it. We've all been asked to use varying degrees of a baseball bat,'' Mr McKeon stated.

In another email, Mr Holmes tells Mr Sciortino in May 2009 he intends to take action against Ms Fletcher and Ms Macdonald and would ''kick their arse till their nose bleeds''.

Ms Fletcher has claimed ASA had a workplace culture hostile to women that permitted bullying and discrimination by management.

Asked in March by The Age about the legal case, an ASA spokesman said continuing court proceedings prevented the agency from answering specific questions.

''Airservices takes the issue of workplace harassment and bullying seriously and investigates all allegations thoroughly,'' he said.

Read more: Women 'bullied, degraded' at air-traffic centre (http://www.theage.com.au/national/women-bullied-degraded-at-airtraffic-centre-20111218-1p0uj.html#ixzz1guSRQEfz)

Jack Ranga
18th Dec 2011, 23:24
mmmmmmm, this is gonna get interesting :cool:

All of you pilots should follow this and all of your managers. All passengers of aircraft should follow this as this is how the profits ASA make are spent. On removing managers that should never have been appointed in the first place. On paying compensation to employees treated in this way.

It says a lot about the integrity of this organisation that a loose canon would be appointed to 'kick heads' and to think that those who appointed him thought that they and he would get away with this?

Can anybody point me to any aptitude test, interview technique etc that would have recommended PH be appointed to the position he was? Every body in Melbourne was aware of his behaviour YEARS AGO. How anybody above him thought he would get away with this behaviour I don't know?

Interesting times, 3 of the 5 'managers' mentioned in the above article are still in management positions.

gobbledock
19th Dec 2011, 01:39
Another example of bureaucratic incompetence and political interference.
If this organisation was in some ways run like a coroprate business then these type of questionable managers would be shown the exit door fairly quickly.
But of course being a government run outfit means that only the worst of the worst bureaucratic nimrods will be employed in management positions as most of the civilian businesses out there would not hire them.

If the evidence is there then these managers should be immediately terminated. There is no excuse for bullying or harrassing staff. With that in mind, I would be very surprised if it is just the female staff who are victims of workplace bullying in this organisation.
Managers in government organisations enjoy the freedom that the government offers by protecting it's own.

gobbledock
20th Dec 2011, 03:55
P-Diddy,
Run like a corporate venture is better than public service?
Correct.

You mean like QANTAS? Or Sydney Airport? Or Telstra?Neither Telstra or Qantas are fully privatised, grubby government hands are still attached. And I am unaware of SACL's profit disclosure for the past few years. I bolt in the opposite direction to aviation related investments.

As it turns out, Airservices does have a corporate structure. A board, a CEO, and even a shareholder. Your point???
CASA also has a Board and a Director (CEO equivalent).Hmmm, great success story there, not.

There is no argument here to have, we merely have a differing view of business. I have been involved in business in both sectors hence my comment which is predominately based on that experience. There are plenty of corporate success stories in Australia, and of course some failures. I am simply not too aware of any stand out public service success stories within my yeras upon this earth. Perhaps I am wrong? If so, so be it.
Have a great Xmas friends.

gobbledock
1st Apr 2012, 11:30
Some interesting newspaper articles out today in relation to Russell's ludicrously high salary. $700-$800k per year, almost $250k in perks, an Audi and no doubt his own personal ass wiper!
Once again, a single person is rewarded immensely for performing a crap job. Buy hey, that is the general opinion of frontliners. No doubt Albo and the bureaucrats would think he is doing a stellar job guiding his troops through the hazards of airspace!
What's Fu#king new, another day, another trough dweller, more rewards for mates.....

gobbledock
1st Apr 2012, 22:27
I know this has been posted elsewhere bu I thought it would be a good fit here in the Air Services thread (sorry MODS).
What can one say except for 'It's good to be the king'!

Paid to live the high life - the man who spent $243,702 of your money

by: Linda
Silmalis
From:The Sunday Telegraph (http://www.sundaytelegraph.com.au/)
April 01,
201212:00AM

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/03/31/1226315/231354-greg-russell.jpg

Greg Russell, CEO of Air Services
Australia at Sydney Air Traffic Control Tower. Picture: James Croucher
Source: The Sunday
Telegraph

ONE of the nation's highest-paid bureaucrats - who earns more than double the PM's salary - has racked up a huge corporate credit card bill, including more than $21,000 at one Canberra restaurant.

The federal-government appointed head of a national aviation body uses the card - effectively funded by airline passengers - for stays at upmarket hotels around the world, fine dining and the upkeep of a luxury Audi.

The Sunday Telegraph has obtained the corporate credit card
expenditure of Airservices Australia CEO Greg Russell, who earns at least
$700,000 - and possibly as much as $800,000 - a year. Despite running a
government body, Mr Russell's exact salary is kept secret from the public.

Airservices Australia is responsible for providing air traffic tower,
fire-fighting and aviation rescue services. It comes under Transport Minister Anthony Albanese's ministerial portfolio and is entirely funded by levies charged to airlines using Australian airports. Those levies are passed directly on to passengers.

Last year it turned over an estimated $900 million and paid the federal
government a dividend of about $30 million.The Sunday Telegraph has obtained credit card statements showing Mr Russell spent $243,702 between January 2007 and August 2010. This includes $118,255 on
hotel accommodation, $61,940 on food, $2432 on taxis and. $61,075 on fuel, parking, car hire, repairs to a company Audi and stationery.
The statements show Mr Russell made 21 visits with various airline executives to the Ottoman Cuisine restaurant, spending a total of $21,355.

Among the hotels Mr Russell stayed at while attending international and
domestic conferences were the Millennium Hotel in New Zealand, the Cable Beach Club Resort in Broome, the Hotel Sofitel in Melbourne and the Grand Hyatt in Singapore.
The leaked statements follow a bid by the organisation to increase the fees
it charges airlines in return for managing what it describes as 11 per cent of the earth's airspace.

The ACCC last year rejected an application by Airservices to lift its charges, ruling that it needed to become more efficient.
Airservices Australia defended Mr Russell's credit card use as acceptable for someone expected to travel internationally and to host dinners with senior aviation officials.
"The use of company credit cards by Airservices staff is governed and
administered under strict policies and guidelines," it said in a statement to
The Sunday Telepgraph.
"All credit card usage is checked, reconciled and authorised monthly.
Accordingly the credit card used by the CEO for the purchases described is appropriate"

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAGsyyD4v-yp6-RFRavPJukA8JZ4ppSctx-bhL4W8fOWx2Gkmy

Jack Ranga
1st Apr 2012, 23:12
Be interesting to see Mr Angus Houston's comments, reactions to both these issues?

Whilst a corporate credit card is appropriate for a CEO is it really neccessary for an Air Traffic Service Provider to have one?

Air Canada is a not for profit Service Provider, how does it work there?