PDA

View Full Version : Mobile 'Phone Use On Aircraft

Seat62K
9th Aug 2008, 10:29
Airlines have different rules on the use of mobile 'phones on their aircraft but even the most liberal only allow their use, for example, whilst approaching the gate on the taxiway.
I see that Ryanair is about to introduce the option to use mobile 'phones in the air.
I have one question: If the use of mobile 'phones presents a potential hazard to the safety of the aircraft, how will Ryanair cabin crew distinguish between those who are legitimately using their system and the morons who are trying to get a signal on their own networks?
I can't imagine that Ryanair, and perhaps the regulatory authorities, haven't thought about this, but are there any experts out there who can answer this question?
Many thanks, in advance.

mackey
9th Aug 2008, 10:46
Not sure if Boeing have tested the use of mobile phones in flight, I suspect they have and would be the best people to ask since they build and test them!

If the avionics were given some kind of shielding this might help?......not too sure though.

M.

Sallyann1234
9th Aug 2008, 10:52
how will Ryanair cabin crew distinguish between those who are legitimately using their system and the morons who are trying to get a signal on their own networks?
They won't need to.
The local base station in the aircraft can be designed to block access to outside networks by mobile phones within its range (i.e. inside the aircraft).
As an additional benefit, it will be able to block outside access whilst withholding access to the on-board system. Thus all mobile phone use can be blocked during takeoff and landing phases.

harbour cotter
9th Aug 2008, 11:01
Unfortunately the biggest danger may well be by SLF using or rathing shouting into their phones and who will annoy others. I can see nothing but hassle on flights, all for a fast buck.

At least on a train you have an option to escape, but short of having a parachute available....

adverse-bump
9th Aug 2008, 11:02
the morons who are trying to get a signal on their own networks?

Phones work up too about 8k depending on where you are, not that stupid a thing to try!

Whatisthematrix
9th Aug 2008, 11:06
Looking into this further, you will find that the systems installed on Emirates and Ryanair are no switched on until the aircraft is at altitude to avoid any risk of compromising the ground networks.

Even then, the installed systems control the phones on board so that their power output is set at a minimum.

ExSp33db1rd
9th Aug 2008, 11:13
Why can't the Security Gestapo confiscate the bl--dy things along with the nail scissors.

Do us all a favour.

kijangnim
9th Aug 2008, 15:12
Greetings,

The problem comes from the amount of energy generated by mobile phones in a closed environement (Faraday cage), it is difficult to assess how many phones radiating power will interfere or even damage avionics.
However, a new technology is available with Airbus, it is measuring the output are restricting (inhibiting)any further mobiles to lock on the network.:}

javelin
9th Aug 2008, 21:39
Phones connect and handshake with the local cell at different levels of power. Initially, they connect at low power, if they do not receive a signal, they increase the power until they get a better signal.

This is why your mobile battery discharges faster in a poor signal area.

On board, the airborne system receives at the lowest power setting, hence no threat to the systems.

I call Maintrol, Ops, the Wife, the Lover etc etc while taxiiing in.

Providing it is safe to do so and in a hands free environment, while not endangering any deer dolphins or puppies :E

captjns
9th Aug 2008, 21:51
When flying cargo, I gave my F/E the phone to call the hotel whilst on 5 mile final for a crew pickup. Didn't want to miss the breakfast buffet. After all timing is everything.:ok:

Desk Jockey
9th Aug 2008, 23:29
So if the aircraft unit (which works on only one of the 4 bands) fails will handsets then increase power to try and find a network?

airsupport
9th Aug 2008, 23:51
This topic has been discussed numerous times on PPRuNe.

Not sure if Boeing have tested the use of mobile phones in flight

Yes, Boeing leased a B747 many years ago (from memory from KLM), and after days of trying to find interference they could NOT.

I have been on Aircraft numerous times where all 3 of us on the flightdeck were using our personal mobiles, via own our servers, and there was also one installed on the flightdeck by the Company, never had any problems.

I would NOT like to see them in general passenger use, because of the nuisance factor, but it is NOT a safety problem.

kijangnim
10th Aug 2008, 02:44
Greetings,

As long as the output of the mobile phone is under control there is no safety issues, however the mess in the aircraft is going to be unmanageable on the passenger side. :}

plain-plane
10th Aug 2008, 06:57
I am often able to find interference... normally arround the OM welcoming me to whatever country... and informing what rates apply....

You can sometimes hear on the VHF texts comming thru after landing...

Red Top Comanche
10th Aug 2008, 07:18
I have often questioned the Safety issue of using Mobiles in different environments. In Petrol Stations they are banned in case they start a fire. However even after it was categorically proven that you cannot start a petrol fire from the signal of even the most powerful mobile phone, they still stay banned "because of the fire risk"

Aircraft would have been the same i guess except that money overides safety concerns.

Why don't we just be honest, ban the bl**dy things because they are so annoying. Make the SLF stand on the wing if they want to make a call.

And why dont security ban them, after all more than one person has been assasinated with a mobile phone that went bang. Ahhhh money again....

Red Top

Dysag
10th Aug 2008, 07:29
Phones should be confiscated by security or put in checked baggage. That way they will only annoy the poor pet dogs in the hold.

Ray Darr
10th Aug 2008, 07:58
Dogs? What about confusing the cats? Then there are those bloody Guinea Fowl! (Oh I miss Nigeria...)

:p

keith smith
17th Aug 2008, 16:16
Desk Jockey has a very valid point. If the local area network goes bad all the active sets will go to max output.Nobody has explained a solution to me. Isuppose you could have a back-up network that is instantly activated if prime one fails. That would be expensive, and given luck it might all go away!

Checkboard
18th Aug 2008, 18:06
Every flight probably has a couple running, just because the owners have forgotten to switch them off (sometimes mine!). Any "event" like the Qantas depressurisation will be met with a blast of RF, as all of the passengers turn on their camera phones to record the event to sell to the networks/post on U-tube.

FlightDirector7
20th Aug 2008, 12:24
All said and done, there is an OEB (operating engineering bulletin) regarding this on A320 family aircraft. I remember reading it some time back, there are certain electronic devices allowed. However, if i remember correctly it clearly states that nothing can be used for take off and landing.

Cheers

kijangnim
20th Aug 2008, 13:08
Greetings,

PEDs are not to be used during takeoff and landing, indeed, the industry considers that although most of them are very well isolated when new, they will lose this isolation with time, and start leaking electro-magnetic...:ok:

LynxDriver
21st Aug 2008, 00:19
"Not sure if Boeing have tested the use of mobile phones in flight, I suspect they have and would be the best people to ask since they build and test them!"

Well they certainly worked on board the airliners hijacked on Sept 11th 2001.

Or did they?