PDA

View Full Version : Kathmandu airport

izrailev
8th Aug 2008, 18:46
I'm going to Katmandu by B-757 first time. Would you give me some advices? Maybe your company procedure? Thanks alot.

barit1
8th Aug 2008, 19:04
I would advise you to seek out the accident report for HS-TID (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19920731-0) and AP-BCP (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19920928-0), and understand how and where they erred.

kijangnim
9th Aug 2008, 01:27
A very chalenging Airport, If the weather is nice, no problems, however I would recommend to be ready early since you would have to descent with 2 different gradients, the first gradient is around 5% this why you have to have drag to avoid accelerating, the second gradient is a 3.2% more manageable, the runway is not flat, so watch your fare.
This is if you have both engines :E
The Engine out SID and or go-around are tough, you basically have to circle around the airport before you can climb safely :E
As the procedure is airline Property, I cannot send you a copy however if you have a go at flight sim (microsoft) you will have a prety good idea of what is ahead.:ok:

hetfield
9th Aug 2008, 07:50
Haven't been there for a long time, used to be a VOR apprch with about 6 degr slope in the first part. Once you are over the ridge it's getting normal to 3 degr. The point was to get the alumnium down, on A300 it's with Gear down and full flaps. Take offs and landings are in the same direction. Most of the time weather isn't that bad, but very special care ha to been taken if u lose an engine on take off. Special procedures for that and I recommend to follow them...

Like I said, haven't been there for a long time.

cheers

FlyMD
9th Aug 2008, 08:00
Went there about 5 years ago. Both pilots required to do a sim-check in a sim with Kathmandu visual (though no required to be a/c type you operate) prior to being allowed in.

Handling on the ground was slow and bureaucratic, even though we had a handler flown in from India.

Visibility can get low (haze) even with a good weather forecast.

Agree with posts above, if you do your homework, no big deal.

MYROSTERSUCKS
9th Aug 2008, 12:04
KTM approach is a lil tricky due to the terrain around it and the resulting high gradient descent...unfortunately there have been a few crashes there as well...familiarize yourself with the Jeppessen approach plate well and DO follow the altitude restrictions for step descent on the VOR app for Rwy 02. smaller a/c ( whole bunch of them) use rwy 20 for landings regularly and occasionaly a 737 or 320 would circle to land on 20 after the app on 02.( this HAS to be done within 4NM of the rwy) special procedures to follow in case of single engine due close proxmity of terrain. Take off is allowed on both rwy's but a lot of load restriction while using 02 due obstacles. weather at this time of the year can be bad...carry enough holding fuel!!
Have a good one!:ok:

izrailev
10th Aug 2008, 09:48
Thanks guys. Still looking for procedures.

mutt
10th Aug 2008, 12:08
izrailev......

There is NO WAY that we can give you our procedures as in the event of an accident, the legal liability can be placed upon our employers!

Sorry, but you gotta work it out yourself or pay someone.

Mutt

b747heavy
10th Aug 2008, 12:23
Hi Izrailev,

I agree with FlyMD as I used to operate the B747 (day and night) into Kathmandu but it was a requirement of the Nepalese Authorities that the crew be qualified in a sim prior to entry (meaning paperwork provided to support the entry request). PIA and TG have left battle scars on both sides of the mountains in Kathmandu.

My first operating sector into Kathmandu involved a very bad weather system passing through the area...every radio call was answered with a new QNH and the result was a missed approach due to cloud cover at MDA...the pucker factor really sets in when you enter the missed and for us at the time if I remember, having to remain within D4.0 of the VOR, circle to climb above 10,500' and then exit via DHARKE (if spelled correctly?). Spent the next 20 minutes dodging CB's in an effort to return to NOPEN for another go.

DO NOT take Kathmandu lightly....as already posted, it can be a great approach on a nice fine day, but if things are against you, .....

I really miss operating into Kathmandu...I hope to have the opportunity again sometime in the future?

Cheers,
Heavy :ok:

EDIT: Have to add that the above in no way constitutes a "procedure" for KTM. This is my recollection of events during my time there. In no way are previous or present company procedures reflected in the above description.

greybeard
10th Aug 2008, 12:44
It has also been 5 years since I went to KTM, all the above comments are spot on.
The Jepps we used had a specific missed approach procedure for 2 and ONE engine which if followed were a relatively safe manouver. The difficulty was the length and difficulty of the memory to retain the message. Our operation had an extra F/O on the service and from me he was specifically briefed to begin reading the chart out to both of us in the event of a missed approach.
The same brief was issued to that position on Take-off in the event of a failure. This did not replace a complete standard brief, only added the extra section.
The haze can make seeing and understanding the PAPI very difficult, you actually fly over the VOR so tracking can be a bit inaccurate, there were some geographics we used to align, but they may/will have changed so no info from me on that, sorry!
You will with the fuel costs be right up to weight for landing, TAS will be quite a bit above IAS, sink rates in excess of 2000'/min for part of your fully configured approach for 02. The circle to land 20 is only for the brave, practiced in the Sim, and familiar with the Airport crews in my humble opinion. If used remember the overshoot is different if you do this and lose it on base /final. One of my previous employer's crews did not remember, face full of hill, hard GPWS, overstressed many things and "escaped" to Kolkatta.
I did some 15 trips, was lucky to always get in, delayed many departures for WX, light A/C traffic is frantic using left and right circuits to either runway at times as wind can be L/V. Used 20 for departure once, not for the faint hearted, don't miss the place at all, but glad I went and did.

Be careful and come back.

:ok::ok:

JungleJett
10th Aug 2008, 13:51
Hello there,

I fly on average 3 times a month in and out of KTM. As long as the Wx. is OK, no problem. I fly a 320 so we start configuring early and by the time we reach position NOPEN which is I believe 12 NM from KTM we are fully configured, full flaps and gear down at 12500 ft MSL.
The problem is that during monsoon season (right now!), there is almost always a nasty CB sitting right by NOPEN. Not a whole lot of room to maneuver left or right of it.
It is a VOR-DME Rwy 02 Approach. DME mandatory even if it's VMC. At least it is our company's procedure.
We cannot use 02 for take off....you'll see why when you'll get there. Rwy 20 for T/O then with max tail wind limit of 10 kts.
Both Captain and F/O must go through sim. training and qualification.
As mentionned above, Engine Out go around or EOSID is tricky. Do not lose situational awareness!!!
Do not accept, EVER, a clearance below MSA.
You might get a clearance to NOPEN and then hold there while the previous aircraft is shooting the approach. I recommand you to hold at SMR VOR. It's just before NOPEN when you come from the south and most likely you will come from the south. The reason being the weather is most probably OK until SMR and then it gets nasty as I previously mentionned it. ATC has no objection either way.
For departure if no CBs, Dharke1?...don't have the plate in front of me....is OK. Otherwise I recommand the other Darke SID. The one that circles over Kathmandu valley. That way you will put more air between you and the hard rock....and more options to maneuver.
That's all I can think of right now.

Good luck don't forget to bring the camera!

Broomstick Flier
10th Aug 2008, 18:45
Neat video :ok:, courtesy of youTube:
YouTube - LANDING IN KATMANDU (http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=UWKEyPEKzv0)

Fantastic view

Cheers
BF

Jetjock330
10th Aug 2008, 19:39
IZRAILEV,

Check your private messages.

hikoushi
10th Aug 2008, 22:43
Kathmandu Approach Chart (http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/katm/jepp.htm)