PDA

View Full Version : good news for FAA pilots!

amirfl
26th Jul 2008, 18:35
:)FAA Airline Transport Pilots and private pilots medicals are now extended for pilots under the age of 40. private pilots will now have their medical issued for 5 years, ATPs for 1 year.
Pilots Will Visit the M.D less often (http://www.pilotscafe.com/aviation-news/5-general/32-pilots-will-visit-the-md-less-often.html)

mattpilot
26th Jul 2008, 19:11
I wonder if certificates issued before July 24, 2008 (effective date of this new rule) are also valid for the new durations.

Panama Jack
27th Jul 2008, 06:39
Yes they are mattpilot! No new standards, it is just that the FAA has adopted the ICAO time limits. The following article provides great information about this change:

EAA News - FAA Extends Duration of First- and Third-Class Medical Certificates (http://www.eaa.org/news/2008/2008-07-24_medicals.asp)

On the Spot
30th Jul 2008, 13:50
Lets hope that it is part of a move to make all ICAO compliant medicals acceptable for use with ICAO licences. I would much prefer to pay $50 for my FAA Class 3 than £250 for a CAA Class 2

IO540
30th Jul 2008, 14:11
Very unlikely to happen. The medical departments are the most powerful and pro-active in the national CAAs. All efforts to simplify medical requirements for ICAO-level licenses/ratings, within Europe, have failed. In principle anybody could file a difference to ICAO to get rid of the silly stuff but only the USA has done that.

MartinCh
1st Aug 2008, 06:49
Lets hope that it is part of a move to make all ICAO compliant medicals acceptable for use with ICAO licences. I would much prefer to pay $50 for my FAA Class 3 than £250 for a CAA Class 2

Hmm. Next time before your JAA class 2 expires, go to Prague for short holiday and do the medical there, for 3000 CZK, ie about GBP 100, plus say, 20 quid on top to have FAA class 3 (maybe even 2 if you ask nicely and fall within limits) for the same set of exams. You can also do Canadian medical as well, though not sure it'll be for the same price, probably.

Yeah. 250 for medical for private flying?? Crazy. Czech JAA Class 1 is about that price or touch less in Prague. But then, it's stricter than UK CAA at the mo.

Downside is bit of a queueing if you don't show up early morning as they have some 1 or 2hr cut-off times for blood taken and results brought back. But then, when you come before noon, all the 'first stops' in the tour are free. I was there on Monday last February, so bit of a wait. But all OK.

MartinCh
1st Aug 2008, 07:14

Hmm. Next time before your JAA class 2 expires, go to Prague for short holiday and do the medical there, for 3000 CZK, ie about GBP 100, plus say, 20 quid on top to have FAA class 3 (maybe even 2 if you ask nicely and fall within limits) for the same set of exams. You can also do Canadian medical as well, though not sure it'll be for the same price, probably.

Yeah. 250 for medical for private flying?? Crazy. Czech JAA Class 1 is about that price or touch less in Prague. But then, it's stricter than UK CAA at the mo.

Downside is bit of a queueing if you don't show up early morning as they have some 1 or 2hr cut-off times for blood taken and results brought back. But then, when you come before noon, all the 'first stops' in the tour are free. I was there on Monday last February, so bit of a wait. But all OK.

BHenderson
1st Aug 2008, 13:57
I don't know who's paying £250 for a class two medical. I pay £50!

IO540
1st Aug 2008, 14:47
I like Prague (was born there) but I don't think that one would save much money after the flight.... unless of course one wishes to sample some of the local "business offerings" upon receiving the successful medical certificate ;)

The CAA Class 1 Initial medical has come down. It used to be about £600 and is now about £300. I guess they were losing a lot of business to some other JAA members, behind the former Iron Curtain.