PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous goods in Pax/cargo aircraft

19th Jul 2008, 15:23
This probably sounds like a stupid question, but does anyone know how a passenger or cargo aircraft is defined, when carrying dangerous goods.

For example. If I have to load a certain DG item in a helicopter that is to carry pax, it is obvious that it will be classed as a passenger flight, and the DG regulations are stricter than if it was a cargo only flight.

However, if I load the same goods in the same helicopter (with no pax), the DG might be loaded in the cabin and any possible leakage could affect the crew.
I was wondering if there was any definition for a cargo aircraft that specifies that the cargo must be in a separate area to the flight crew.

42ongo
19th Jul 2008, 17:28
Had a similar-ish scenario where staff of a certain European authority got on a 747 freighter of ours and decided that the contract crew on board the aircraft that were dead heading and who would be flying the same plane a few weeks later did not constitute true employees of the airline and therefore this was now a passenger flight

We subsequently had to offload a whole load of CAO pallets causing a massive delay

CAO must be accessible in-flight apart from a few classes

What do you actually want to carry on the helicopter
UN number wise
No of pcs wise and
Nett qty per package wise

cheers

Ex Cargo Clown
19th Jul 2008, 21:22
Don't have it to hand, but I'm sure there might be something in the ICAO Technical Instructions about what constitutes a CAO hold.

Access is definitely one factor.

As for revenue pax, not sure about that as I used to work for an airline who took paid grooms on 74F for horses with CAO freight on the M/D as well.

20th Jul 2008, 08:32
I don't have any DG to go at the moment. It was just more of a general question.

I am certified to sign for DG by air shipments, although I only do this on an infrequent basis.
99% of the DG I deal with are suitable for pax aircraft, but it's only a matter of time before I get a shipment that is cargo aircraft only, and I was just wondering if it is loaded in the main cabin (along with the crew), if that qualifies as a cargo aircraft.

Thanks for the replies.

744rules
20th Jul 2008, 21:44
I think it also has to do with the correct definition of a pax on freighter a/c.

A pax is someone who is supposed to know nothing about the safety and evacuation instructions unless instructed by a cabin crew.

Ex Cargo Clown
21st Jul 2008, 00:00
I don't have any DG to go at the moment. It was just more of a general question.

I am certified to sign for DG by air shipments, although I only do this on an infrequent basis.
99% of the DG I deal with are suitable for pax aircraft, but it's only a matter of time before I get a shipment that is cargo aircraft only, and I was just wondering if it is loaded in the main cabin (along with the crew), if that qualifies as a cargo aircraft.

Thanks for the replies.

To be honest, if it's CAO, in the quantities that would fit on a helicopter and be CAO, I wouldn't want it next to me !!!

Look at the DG manual and take a Class 3 RFL and look at the amounts....

I very much doubt you'd get too much in.

And if it's RADAC :eek::eek:

supernova.surfer
21st Jul 2008, 02:25
quoting from the current IATA Dangerous goods regulations

Section 9.3
>9.3.1 Loading Restrictions on Flight Deck and for Passenger Aircraft

>9.3.1.1
Dangerous Goods must not be carried in an aircraft cabin occupied by passengers or on the flight deck of an aircraft ,except as permitted by 2.3.2 to 2.3.5 and 2.5.1 and for excepted packages of radioactive materials.Dangerous goods may be carried on the main deck cargo compartment of a passenger aircraft provided that the compartment meets all the requirtements of a Class B or Class C aircraft cargo compartment.Dangerous goods bearing the cargo aircraft only label must not be carried on a passenger aircraft