PDA

View Full Version : NPPL (A) to JAA PPL (A)

Bounce,Bounce,Prang!
14th Jul 2008, 13:45
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone could enlighten me about the specific flying requirements for 'upgrading' from an NPPL to a PPL? I am aware that the medical is different whilst the ground exams are the same (i.e. no further ground training is required), but what's the story about actual flying required? Cheers.

AMEandPPL
14th Jul 2008, 14:17
I am aware that the medical is different

You are quite right. For the NPPL all that is needed is a certificate from your GP saying, in essence, that he is NOT AWARE of any medical matters which might make you unfit to fly - very negative. Many GP's will complete it without carrying out any examination at all.

A JAR class 2 has to be done by an AME , and does involve a thorough examination, including vision, urine, haemoglobin, BP, ECG etc etc.
A much more positive assessment of your physical condition.

BEagle
14th Jul 2008, 14:21
It's all spelled out in LASORS. See Section C6.2.

Note that where it states, for example, '20 hours of dual instruction with an instructor authorised under JAR-FCL', that does NOT mean an additional 20 hours!

The solo cross-country time stipulated means precisely what it says. So, even though a NPPL permits you to fly with passengers, you must fly the 150nm QX-C alone and unassisted and must be supervised by a JAR-FCL FI.

If you've already passed all the NPPL exams, you don't have to take any others. But if you had certain waivers (e.g. as a service navigator/observer) at NPPL level, you'll have to take those exams.