PDA

View Full Version : Front or Rear?

brine
23rd Jun 2008, 10:20
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, and it may be a little academic now that glass cockpits are used extensively.
But do pilots prefer front-mounted or rear-mounted instruments?As an ex-instrument man (non-pilot) with some training in ergonomic design, I would plump for rear-mounted instruments because of less clutter.
Of course, front-mounted instruments are easier to remove and replace.
Over to you.
Brine

just_go_to
24th Jun 2008, 15:37
Front or rear mounted instruments?

Can you explain a bit more? I don't get what you mean.

Squealing Pig
24th Jun 2008, 18:50
Think brine means which direction the instrument is physically inserted in the panel from the rear (so flushish with the panel) or front (pilot’s side) and better for maintenance.

In answer to the original question from a pilot point of view I have no preference, both make my landings poor

SNS3Guppy
25th Jun 2008, 05:59
From a pilot perspective, I like to see the least amount of clutter possible. From a mechanic's perspective, I strongly prefer instruments I can withdraw from the front of the panel. I really hate lying on my back with junk in my eyes trying to fish an instrument out of a maze of cannon plugs, wiring, and hoses and tubes.

I think the best compromise is front mounted instruments and radios, covered by a faux panel to disguise the disparity of the instruments. If this faux panel is made up in sections, rather than one big piece, so much the easier to work with.

brine
25th Jun 2008, 15:23
Yes, Squealing Pig. I meant the way instruments are either inserted from the front with the bezel proud of the panel, or from the back with the glass flush with the panel.
One reason I was asking this question is that it seems to be a national thing.
In the UK, instruments are normally rear-mounted. The French, Russians and maybe others have also favoured this method for many years.

On the other hand, Americans (always best for easier maintenance) used front-mounted instruments. The German Luftwaffe of WWII was the same. Cockpit clutter increased a lot - just take a look at US fighter cockpits from the 50s and 60s!

Yes, it was a pain fitting rear-mounted instruments but hinge-down panels eased that problem!Brine