PDA

View Full Version : Concorde!

AI101
21st Jun 2008, 17:47
Everyone knows that concorde used to fly at twice the speed of sound,
so what i want to know is would you still be able to hear the engine noise from the aircraft?

I only asl because acording to the theory if you are going 2 x speed of sound that means you should leave the sound behind you?

AI101

Rainboe
21st Jun 2008, 18:01
Yes but noise is coming from the vibration the sound causes through the airframe and therefore travels through the fuselage! Also, sound can travel up the cabin from back to front at the speed of sound even though it is moving at Mach 2!
Most of the noise is air noise from airflow, not engine noise anyway.

Dani
21st Jun 2008, 18:16
Correct. The only thing he cannot here is the acustically propagated sound behind him, e.g. the roaring afterburners.

That's the same with every supersonic aircraft.

From personal experience I can tell you that supersonic flight is normally very much calmer than subsonic.

Dani

chornedsnorkack
21st Jun 2008, 18:38
That's the same with every supersonic aircraft.

From personal experience I can tell you that supersonic flight is normally very much calmer than subsonic.

Dani

The other commercial supersonic transport, Tu-144, is said to be rather loud inside cabin. So, just which kind of noise is it there - engine or aerodynamic noise?

Dani
21st Jun 2008, 18:58
loud is always relative - is it louder than another Tupolev? Is it louder when subsonic or when supersonic?

I cannot tell, since I've never been inside a TU-144, as I have never been inside a (flying) Concorde. I just explained the physics.

Dani

beachbumflyer
21st Jun 2008, 20:28
What would you expect from a russian airplane? :rolleyes:

Charley B
21st Jun 2008, 20:36
not a lot!

airfoilmod
21st Jun 2008, 21:12
Inadvertent test-pilotage on a regular basis? Excitement?

xxgunnerxx
21st Jun 2008, 21:44
@beachbumflyer and @Charley B-You should watch what you are saying, Russia's military is what drove the Cold War for so long.

aviate1138
21st Jun 2008, 22:40
Cabin noise on Concorde seemed to me to be at a higher pitch than subsonic but not any more intrusive than say a 747. Well as far as I remember having usually been filled with Dom Perignon, Puligny Montrachet and Bran Cantenac etc!

The stability during turns at low level leaving JFK was so reassuring and the lack of serious turbulence on every flight but one made each trip a delight. Cabin air was fresh - untill the cigars lit up!

LH2
22nd Jun 2008, 00:22
What would you expect from a russian airplane?

Durability and performance at 1/10th the price of the Western equivalent?

Flight Detent
22nd Jun 2008, 01:12
LH2 - don't think the Ruskies can spell 'dyouabillitie' can they?

- but they sure can spell 'performance'!

Cheers...FD...:\

JohnFTEng
22nd Jun 2008, 17:49
No roaring afterburners there. IIRC Conceorde could supercruise on dry-thrust.

Dani
22nd Jun 2008, 18:08
Concorde needed to light up the AB for TO and for accellerating into Supersonic. Then they where switched off.

You couldn't fly long with AB continously on...!

Donkey497
22nd Jun 2008, 19:21
xxgunnerxx - You should watch what you are saying, Russia's military is what drove the Cold War for so long

....... and I thought it was just mutual paranoia and suspicion:eek:

WhatsaLizad?
22nd Jun 2008, 22:14
Was in a 767-300 on a westbound track on a nice sunny day. AF Concorde passed us high above. Amongst the standard noise of our own cockpit, there was a distinct thud from the sonic boom. Very mild, like a dull thud from a hand slap on the fuselage outside the cockpit. Pretty cool though. :ok:

Relative speed difference was like watching a contrail high above while sitting in a patio chair outside.

Algy
23rd Jun 2008, 08:32
Not quite the same thing, but pretty neat all the same. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VzVjcBKs-o)

Surprised at the suggestion that cabin noise was much the same as 747. One of my major recollections of my (one and only) Concorde ride was what I perceived as the relatively high vibration and noise levels. That and the rate of climb from the runway.