PDA

View Full Version : Germanwings incident EIDW 27/5/08

jumparound
29th May 2008, 15:21
The daily departure called a MAYDAY just east of LIFFY and returned to Dublin as they had a Pressurisation issue and crew were on Oxygen(dizzy) and apparently the cabin masks did not drop and its reported some passengers were unconscious !

HighLow
29th May 2008, 17:08
Aircraft is grounded, by the Fire Station at Dublin
NOTHING in the news.....

very strange indeed...

firstchoice7e7
29th May 2008, 17:15
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4076e82c&opt=0

HighLow
29th May 2008, 17:31
Read that article.............
and sayin the plane arrived at destination...dont see how that could be the case!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We did taxy pass the German AIRBUS grounded aircraft yesterday...

jumparound
29th May 2008, 17:44
Is there not a manual release for the cabin masks ?

Austrian Simon
29th May 2008, 18:30
We did taxy pass the German AIRBUS grounded aircraft yesterday...

Sorry, poor wording on my part. Data tell me, that the flight arrived - I mistakenly wrote airplane (without ever noticing until I saw your comment following the referrals the article got).

Sounds like a replacement aircraft was dispatched to take the passengers to Cologne.

We are still waiting for comment from Germanwings.

Servus, Simon

whoseroundisit
29th May 2008, 20:30
The pilot reported his pax were either asleep or unconcious. He did not share any other information with the tower or the fire crew. He was told by tower to stop anywhere he wanted so fire crew could assist but he did a long taxi route to his stand all the time still not sharing information with anyone. When fire crew did get on no one needed any treatment !!! Full check of plane, including full check of luggage by fire crew with gas detectors failed to find any problem. Irish AAIB investigating.

CallBell
29th May 2008, 20:59
Is there not a manual release for the cabin masks ?

There are tools for releasing O2 masks that havent dropped. The Cabin crew drill would have been to grab the nearest mask, put brake on any cart, and sit in a pax seat or on the floor and hold on in preparation for the emergency decent. Then await a PA from the flight deck to say it is ok to move around the cabin on portable O2.

Depending on the time available after that PA the crew might not have had the time to use the Manual Release Tool. However the portable O2 has 2 outlets, the 2nd to be use to administer O2 to any unconcious pax.

Austrian Simon
30th May 2008, 10:15
The pilot reported his pax were either asleep or unconcious. He did not share any other information with the tower or the fire crew. He was told by tower to stop anywhere he wanted so fire crew could assist but he did a long taxi route to his stand all the time still not sharing information with anyone. When fire crew did get on no one needed any treatment !!! Full check of plane, including full check of luggage by fire crew with gas detectors failed to find any problem. Irish AAIB investigating.

Germanwings does not confirm the event.

Servus, Simon
http://avherald.com

Just a spotter
30th May 2008, 11:43
Slight Thread Creep ....

Are Cabin Crew trained to recognise the symptoms/onset of hypoxia?

JAS

CallBell
30th May 2008, 11:59
Yes we are... and it would be covered each year in SEP recurrent training.

slip and turn
30th May 2008, 12:27
So, another life support system failure where we all hold our breath so long for the final report that everyone forgets how serious it is?

Just a spotter
30th May 2008, 12:44
Thanks CallBell!

JAS

HighLow
31st May 2008, 01:26
Let me get this straight,
GERMANWINGS say that this incident never took place???

IFixPlanes
31st May 2008, 07:12
Bulls**t.

The BFU has opened a Preliminary Report under 6X002-08

HighLow
31st May 2008, 08:11
IFIXPLANES,
I know its BULL****
I have seen the aircraft and heard the incident on ATC

GermanWings, a bit of ass covering me thinks

Austrian Simon
31st May 2008, 10:00

Affirmative, they did say so in their first statment.

When I confronted them with additional facts we had received, they still denied, that the incident happened as described, but now confirm, that the airplane returned to Dublin due to technical problems, but still gave no details whatsoever.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4076e82c/0000

Servus, Simon

HighLow
31st May 2008, 14:55
There seems to be alot more going on here than the company are telling us. It will be interesting once the report is published....

If it is indeed that the masks did NOT drop as the A/C passed FL200, and passengers did pass out....its amazing how the irish media up to this point have not picked up on this story.

Watch this space...

Shamrock 75
31st May 2008, 19:53
One of the engineer's at Dublin was saying that fumes were coming from the air vents into the cabin, something about oil burning from the APU some how getting into the ventitation system ?

Shamrock 75

threemiles
31st May 2008, 21:15
Seemed to be an odour problem rather than a pressurization problem.
That's why the cabin masks did not deploy.

Dublinflyer
3rd Jun 2008, 08:15
From what I heard,first hand, the pilot reported a pressurization issue when he issued his mayday call. After the initial call he gave very little information to ATC after that. Overall the whole thing is a bit of a odd one as the german carrier is saying it never happend and the media has not picked up on the story. :confused::confused:

lomapaseo
3rd Jun 2008, 17:03
Overall the whole thing is a bit of a odd one as the german carrier is saying it never happend and the media has not picked up on the story

perhaps they are confused by the lack of credible facts

Robert Campbell
3rd Jun 2008, 18:13
For those unfamiliar with Germanwings, as I was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings

jumparound
3rd Jun 2008, 20:30
perhaps they are confused by the lack of credible facts

Just so you know everything that has been reported here is exactly what happened as reported on freq by the pilot, if anything has been made up its been done by the Germanwings pilot who reported the incident to ATC.

It may feel like a Keystone cops movie but its not.

Austrian Simon
4th Jun 2008, 13:11
Seemed to be an odour problem rather than a pressurization problem.
That's why the cabin masks did not deploy.

While that is a reasonable assumption, it is not yet entirely clear, investigation running in all directions, though initial examinations didn't find anything wrong with the pressurization system indeed, according to the AAIU.

Updated report available at:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4076e82c/0001

Servus, Simon