PDA

View Full Version : Plane Crash At Southend

the bald eagle
27th May 2008, 22:01
Has anyone heard of a crash yesterday (Monday) at or near Southend?

I understand that 2 people were quite badly hurt but can't find anything on it?

Thanks
TBE

Papa Charlie
27th May 2008, 22:07
This one? On route from Southend to Shoreham.

Hope they are OK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7420968.stm

JBGA
27th May 2008, 22:20
Looks like it's the Extra 300 that is part of the Swift glider display team. BBC says non-life threatening which is a relief.

London Flyer
27th May 2008, 22:37
I'm relieved that I've not read of any more (serious) accidents yesterday.

I flew back from Caen in the late afternoon intending to go to Biggin Hill, but the ATIS there gave OVC at 001 by the time we were coasting in. We diverted to Lydd which was not much better (5000, BKN 006, mist) and got down safely.

I presume there had been quite a few diversions that afternoon as people tried to get home after a bank holiday weekend flying. The very helpful Lydd controller said they wished people would consider them as an airfield to visit in fair weather - and not just as a diversion airfield when everything else is below minima.

Mike Cross
28th May 2008, 06:19
Let's see, lovely sandy beach, good restaurants, Lydd or L2K? Difficult choice really.;)

will5023
28th May 2008, 07:45
The extra involved was the one based at SHM, pilot and girfriend are ok but have injuries, it had been at southend displaying(aeros) and was trying to get back home in the fickle weather.

Will.

IO540
28th May 2008, 08:14
I presume there had been quite a few diversions that afternoon as people tried to get home after a bank holiday weekend flying

It's obvious that many pilots flew without even checking the weather.

S-Works
28th May 2008, 09:00
It's obvious that many pilots flew without even checking the weather.

And just as obvious that many checked the weather and still decided to give it a go.... :ugh:

The forecasts were very clear that the weather was going to be shocking, yet people still chanced their hands 'VFR'.

I flew back in from Berlin and ended up on a minima approach ready to divert a hundred miles away.

I am surprised there were not more accidents.

Mike Cross
28th May 2008, 10:14
There's no suggestion that I've heard that the Extra incident was at all weather related. It happened in the afternoon, after the weather had cleared. Eye-witness reported the engine popping and banging before cutting out.

I watched it perform at Goodwood the day before
http://mrc0001.users.btopenworld.com/webimages/giiex.jpg

IO540
28th May 2008, 11:07
Yes this is the wrong thread for this but

The forecasts were very clear that the weather was going to be shocking, yet people still chanced their hands 'VFR'.

I reckon that there was a strong "fly in event" mentality at Tempelhof where nobody wanted to be seen to be a wimp.

will5023
28th May 2008, 11:13
Think you will find gents that this one was weather related, an engine will pop and crackle if you have to shut the throttle in a hurry !! Anyhow hope the pilot and passenger have a quick recovery from there injuries.

Will.

S-Works
28th May 2008, 11:58
I reckon that there was a strong "fly in event" mentality at Tempelhof where nobody wanted to be seen to be a wimp.

Er actually the weather was CAVOK at templehoff, mid 20's temp and not a cloud in the sky. Those that were not all weather capable chose to stay extra time and some are still not back.

Those of us with IR's, CFIKI etc. chose to come back within the privileges of our licenses and the basis of our currency.

Fuji Abound
28th May 2008, 13:13
Mike

You and me both must have missed something. So far as I am concerned (albeit I was not flying) the weather was very definitely VFR by the afternoon.

Whilst I personally support after the event discussions I think comments about an accident being weather related are a bit wide of the mark unless you have reliable information or an aftercast (I might add I have neither, just my view from the garden).

Moreover I dont see how it is possible to jump to the conclusion when an aircraft lands in a field obviously under reasonable control and probably following engine problems that the accident was weather related particularly as the aircraft was flying north to south (and west) towards the better weather after the front had cleared the coast by some hours I suspect.

Moreover the aircraft almost certainly did not have a AI (it never use to anyway) so I suspect the pilot would have avoided entering IMC.

Mike Cross
28th May 2008, 13:46
FA

Those were my thoughts as well, however I've since heard independently some information that suggests will5023 may not be wide of the mark. I suggest we all desist from speculation as to cause unless we are able to come up with more definitive information.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to pilot and passenger.

Fuji Abound
28th May 2008, 14:35
Mike - yes agreed, it might have been weather related and if Will is relying on sound information then his comment is entirely reasonable imho.

As I said my comment was based entirely on the weather 20 miles away not necessarily the same as we all well know.

stiknruda
28th May 2008, 18:01
Can someone pm me the initials of the pilot pse?

Mike Cross
28th May 2008, 19:47
Don't know the answer to that Stik, but I gather he's out of hospital and up and about so if you're worried about someone you know give him a ring.

will5023
28th May 2008, 19:50
Hi Guys, not in the habit of rumour mongering, but an AIB inquiry is in process and the facts will come out, just know the horses mouth. Can't call the kettle black as have scud run myself and got away with it, many moon's ago, just a little wiser and older, but young enough not to be grey..yet.

Will.

stiknruda
28th May 2008, 20:29
Thanks for all the PM's.

As feared, it is my chum. Have left voice-mail for him.

Stik

007helicopter
30th May 2008, 16:53
Any more news on how they are?

scubawasp
31st May 2008, 08:19
Speedy recovery

Mike Cross
31st May 2008, 08:29
Having marvelled at his display the day before at Goodwood, and now that he has been named I'd like to add my own best wishes. The third-hand info that I received suggested that he was out of hospital and assisting with the recovery of the aircraft during the week although suffering from a gash to the head. His passenger was reported to have suffered what sound like whiplash injuries. Given the strength of the airframe and the type of harnesses used in Extras it sounds as though it was a fairly severe decelleration.

angusr
1st Jun 2008, 11:28
Sad to say that his passenger is still in hospital with spinal injuries amoung various others and will be in hospital & rehab for some time.

But she is still alive and in one piece and that's the main thing. Fingers crossed for a full recovery.

formationfoto
1st Jun 2008, 17:37
If I was going to have a forced landing in an Extra 300 I would appreciate having JG as my pilot. Top bloke. Ace display in the RV4 (shame he wont sell to me though :-) ) and the Swift display is just brilliant. Rates with the Chinook as one of the most original displays in many years.