PDA

View Full Version : Expired, Expired, Expired

Demonic69
7th May 2008, 13:06
Hi guys. This is my 1st post on this forum and I hope you can help.
I got my JAA PPL in Florida 7 years ago but have not had the money to do any flying since. Now I'm looking at revalidating my licence but I'm not sure what my options are.
My Licence expired April last year, my rating was 5 years out of date last month.
I'm hoping I don't have to re-take the lot to get my PPL valid again.
Can anyone help? What do I need to do to fly again?

Thanks.

BackPacker
7th May 2008, 13:41
Check LASORS section F1.5. You need to do the skills test all over again and send a load of dosh to the CAA so that they can renew your license & class rating.

Plus any training you need to get to the required standard for the skills test, of course.

Ian_Wannabe
7th May 2008, 15:00
Hey - this question is quite similar to mine so to save double posting i thought i'd ask here

I got my PPL in March 2006, since then I haven't done the 12 hours requirement and my SEP rating has expired (expired on the 5th march) - Do I need to go up to do a check out with an examiner or an instructor? The examiner being an actual check out, and the instructor being just an hour then a sign off?

Am i right in thinking that the check out will include stalls, ccts, steep turns?

Do I have to do a diversion too?

Thanking you =)

BackPacker
7th May 2008, 15:08
Ian, in your case your core license is still valid but the class rating is expired. You will need to go up with an examiner to do a test, but it won't be as hard as the original skills test.

Yes you will need to demonstrate your handling skills such as stalls and steep turns. I'm not sure about the diversion though.

Details are, once again, in LASORS.

Ian_Wannabe
7th May 2008, 15:10
Ok cool thanks for that Backpacker, appreciate it :ok:

Demonic69
7th May 2008, 16:07
Tried Reading LASORS. Not the easiest text out there is it? :D

BackPacker
7th May 2008, 21:07
Try the ANO. Or JAR-FCL. You'll appreciate LASORS then.

Whopity
8th May 2008, 15:31
If you download the Examiners record for the test you will see exactly what you have to do. http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1157.pdf
Download the SRG1102 to get a new 5 year licence issued; for this you will also need a valid medical certificate.

If its more than 5 years since your SEP rating expired it will have to be re-issued by Gatwick but, if you got it less than 7 years ago you could just be within the 5 years and save a fee.

homeguard
8th May 2008, 16:44
Whopity of course has given you correct info but I will expand.

You licence was issued for 5 years. The expiry date is hown within the licence. The re-issue date is shown in section 1X, Validity of the licence. Your JAA medical must be valid for re-issue. If you are not past the date then do nothing for the moment. If you are past the date, you simply send the completed form together with the current fee and the valid medical certificate to the CAA (address on the form).

Included with your licence is a seperate page entitled Cerificate of Validation or similar. Within that page the expiry date of your SEP (Land) is dated. This will have nothing to do with your licence as such.

You will need to do a Revalidation Skill Test for this. It is not the full skill test that you did for you initial licence. Upper Air work and circuits form the core. Any navigation will be done at the discretion of the examiner. If it is not 5 years since your SEPL expiry date the Examiner may date and sign the Rating page. If more than 5 years the Revalidation Page must be signed by the CAA themselves. In addition a form for this bit will need to be completed both by you and the examiner. The form is SRG/1119 and is also sent to the CAA at the same address, to record your renewal of the class rating.

From what you have described you will almost certainly need revision training and I suspect more than one hour.

AndyGB
8th May 2008, 17:39
I was in the same situation (lapsed rating and not flown for 5 years) and it's taken me 8 hours of tuition to get to a standard where my instructor thinks I am ready for the test (booked for the 19th, so fingers crossed for good weather).