PDA

View Full Version : advice on headset and handheld GPS

Vulcan607
23rd Apr 2008, 18:53
Looking at purchasing a new headset, got in mind the Sennheiser HMEC 250 headset just wondered how people who use this headset rate it.

Would luv the bose-x but think its rather too expensive.

Also, still wish to continue to fly dead-reckoning the way I was taught but after flying with people who keep a GPS as a backup I've been thinking I should perhaps invest in one too.

As a back-up, would the Garmin 96C handheld unit be sufficient?

Regards :D

Pilotdom
23rd Apr 2008, 19:58
I started a thread about Sennheiser 250's last week but got no replys. Like you I would like a set of BOSE-X but the sennheiser 250 looks good for the money. I may go and have a look at a pair tomorrow. l will let you know what I think when im back.

Vulcan607
23rd Apr 2008, 20:12
:ok: Thanks dom

TheOddOne
23rd Apr 2008, 20:19
As a back-up, would the Garmin 96C handheld unit be sufficient?

I carry the 96 (the monochrome version) in my headset bag with a couple of spare cells just in case I need it. In retrospect the 96C is probably better value, with the colour screen. I've flown with it mounted on the yoke (mount supplied with the GPS) and it works well enough but in my present job I simply can't use it routinely.

I've used it a couple of times when caught in IMC to back up the 'traditional' radio nav and it gives great peace of mind that everything correlates. As with all these things, you need more than one source of differently-derived data for cross-checking purposes (i.e. dead-reckoning and radio aids). I think a hand-held like the 96C does provide a useful 3rd cross-check. Just don't EVER use it as a primary source of navigation!

Cheers,
TheOddOne

SNS3Guppy
23rd Apr 2008, 20:48
You might try ebay for a set of bose. I bought one from there and used it under fairly adverse conditions for about six months...on one set of batteries. The earseals finally wore through where they meet my jaws. I mentioned it to the bose folks at sun-n-fn when I visited, and they handed me a free replacement pair on the spot. I paid about half what I would have for a new headset, and was quite satisfied with them.

I've been impressed with the comfort of the lightspeed headsets, too. Good sound, good headsets, and much less than bose.

172driver
23rd Apr 2008, 21:29
You won't regret any Dollars/Pounds/Euros shelled out for a Bose-X. Neither will your ears. Get one.

On the low end of GPS units: I have a Garmin 96 (the greyscale version, simply because I prefer it). Got me around Europe and Africa. Fantastic piece of kit for the money.

Rod1
23rd Apr 2008, 21:40
I second the ebay idea. The Bose is what you want and I got a very good deal on a set over three years ago and am very pleased with them.

Rod1

IO540
23rd Apr 2008, 22:06
I've been to the CAA medical dept at Gatwick the other week. I was fine but apparently hearing loss is a huge problem among pilots. Especially rotary pilots.

The man recommended the Bose X headset highly. I would too - I have four of them myself. Even after all these years, nothing comes close for performance, and nothing comes even anywhere near for comfort.

Anybody who doesn't plan to chuck flying in for good should look after their ears and get the Bose. The cheap headsets which litter the pilot shop shelves are just cheap crap, OK for flying schools where people sit on them or (often) steal them.

Pilotdom
23rd Apr 2008, 22:37
Another idea would be to get someone to bring you back a set from the US, if you know anyone going there that is!