PDA

View Full Version : A summer challenge!

snapper41
10th Apr 2008, 09:42
Ok folks;

I'm a 3-axis microlight pilot with a share in a C-42. Just over 100 hrs in the log-book, with half of those as P1.

This summer, I want to do something as a personal challenge flying-wise; what do you suggest? I've never crossed water or landed anywhere more than about 50 NM from my home airfield. All sensible suggestions considered!

stocker
10th Apr 2008, 10:03
Buy a North of Scotland chart and have a look at what we have up here, especially out West. There are numerous islands with welcoming strips both soft and hard surface usually with a hotel close by.
We have a lot of class G and Scottish info always give a fantastic service providing you can maintain contact with them (a couple of blind spots in the glens).

The Great Glen (loch ness) is a good way of getting from one side of the country to the other.

We have an amazing contrast in scenery(even palm trees) with some very challenging flying, be it low level round the islands or through the Glens or if it takes your fancy you can do as much mountain flying as takes your fancy.

BackPacker
10th Apr 2008, 10:10
Multi-day trip to LFAT?

stocker
10th Apr 2008, 10:13
One negative thing I forgot to mention though about West Scotland in Summer is the midgies. They are relentless and you will need repellant.

egbgstudent
10th Apr 2008, 12:07
Why not buy yourself a copy of Lockyears Farmstrip Guide.
You will find a very warm welcome from these small strips that are dotted around this fair isle of ours. Landing fees will be small (if there are any at all).

rans6andrew
10th Apr 2008, 17:18
if I were in Norfolk I would be thinking Popham Microlight Fair at the beginning of May and Spamfield, Isle of Wight, in the middle of June.

Popham is a good day return from Norfolk (we did Rougham from Brimpton in a 503 Rans as a day return) but why not pack a tent and enjoy the comaraderie for a couple of days. Same for Spamfield.

The other real challenge is the annual Blois Microlight do, attended by many Brits, away down the Loire Valley (France!) at the end of August. If you go on this one you will find enough people to show you the ropes (flight plan filing, customs etc) and some one to fly loose formation over the water, which is good for safety. Get your passport up to date and borrow a life jacket.

Andrew.

charliegolf
10th Apr 2008, 18:08
Snapper

Trip to Swansea, pick me up, Haverfordwest, Ireland for a couple of days and back!

Sorted.

CG:ok:

snapper41
11th Apr 2008, 17:43
CG;

I must owe you a few beers!

er340790
11th Apr 2008, 17:48
It's a life-altering experience, tree-top height along the shoreline, fly off the edge of waterfalls and drop into remote lakes. Catch a fish and still home in time for tea and medals!

Just watch out for glassy water.:eek:

TheGorrilla
12th Apr 2008, 10:00
Try aerobatics in your microlight.