PDA

View Full Version : When was English established the standard aviation language?

AlexisDetroit
6th Apr 2008, 00:32
Did the Treaty of Warsaw of 1955(?) have any thing to do with making English the lingua franca of the skys? Said treaty dealt with compensating air crash victims, I believe.

I am assuming that English is not required in intra-country flights, e.g., flights within Brazil by a Brazilian carrier.

Chugalug2
6th Apr 2008, 09:48
I think this goes back to the founding of ICAO under the UN in, I think, 1947. All the various provisos about allowable use of the native language in its own airspace were spelled out at the same time if I recall.

WHBM
6th Apr 2008, 16:57
It's ironic that ICAO is headquartered in Montreal, one of not that many cities round the world where the inhabitants hate English-speakers.

Web-Footed Flyer
6th Apr 2008, 17:31
WHBM wrote: "where the inhabitants hate English-speakers"

I read this as meaning let's inflame the discussion......: confused::confused::confused:

Very sad!!! Very Sad indeed!!!!

Fareastdriver
7th Apr 2008, 09:40
I would imagine that WHBM has never been to Montreal. I have, a great bunch of people.

merlinxx
7th Apr 2008, 10:23
I quote:

Convention on International Civil Aviation

This document contains the text of the Convention on International Civil Aviation, signed at Chicago on 7th December 1944 (hereinafter referredto as the "Convention") in the English, French, Russian and Spanish languages. Each of these texts is equally authentic. The English text is the text adopted and signed at Chicago on 7 December 1944, amended as indicated below. The French and French texts are the texts adopted by and annexed to the Protocol on the Authentic Trilingual Text of the Convention, signed at Buenos Aires on 24 September 1968 (hereinafter referred to as the "Buenos Aires Protocol")

Unquote

The Russian text was adopted and signed at Montreal on 30 September 1977.

So the First Convention was in English and was agreed, adopted and signed on 7 December 1944.

So the first language of International Aviation was adopted as English.

This ICAO Doc 7300 is available on the ICAO site at www.ICAO.org

Enjoy