PDA

View Full Version : Delta 767 Fire Divert to GSP

Airbubba
19th Mar 2008, 22:46
Fire On 767 Burns Passenger, Forces Landing At GSP
Plane Makes Emergency Landing

POSTED: 4:54 pm EDT March 19, 2008
UPDATED: 6:37 pm EDT March 19, 2008

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- A passenger was burned during a fire on a Delta passenger plane that was forced to make an emergency landing at Greenville-Spartanburg Airport

The Delta 767 was carrying 200 passengers. It landed at GSP just after 5 p.m. Wednesday.

GSP spokeswoman Rosylin Weston said that the pilot of Delta Flight 1819 reported smelling smoke in the cockpit, leading to the emergency landing.

The plane landed safely without incident and taxied to the B Concourse, Weston said.

GSP Manager Larry Holcombe said that the smoke appears to have come from a fire in the cargo hold of the plane. He said one passenger was burned by the fire and was being treated. No other injuries were reported.

Holcombe said that by the time fire crews got on board the plane, the fire was no longer burning.

There were reports from passengers of a possible explosion on the plane, but Holcombe said he could not confirm those reports.

Holcombe said that Delta will determine how to get the passengers to their destinations. The plane will remain at GSP until Delta evaluates the damage.

Delta's Web site indicates that Flight 1819 departed Raleigh at 3:16 p.m. and was scheduled to land in Atlanta at 4:07 p.m.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/15645321/detail.html

NG1
19th Mar 2008, 23:03
- The plane taxied to the concourse after fire in the cargo hold?
- A passenger got burned by the fire in the cargo hold (!) ?

I think we have to wait for some more details to find out what really happened...

Walker Texas Ranger
20th Mar 2008, 01:08
Yeah, more facts are needed here... Doesnt make too much sense to me.

When I was in flight training, we had a Delta 767 Captain who would rent the flight schools planes for fun on his days off. He told me a story about having to divert due to smoke in the cockpit on his 767. I dont remember all the details, but when they landed, they determined the cause immediately. It turns out a flight attendant burnt some food in the forward galley oven!

Longtimer
20th Mar 2008, 01:47
Delta Jet Makes Emergency Landing in SC
1 hour ago

GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) — A Delta Air Lines plane carrying 259 passengers has landed safely in South Carolina after the pilot smelled smoke in the cockpit.

Larry Holcombe, manager of Greenville-Spartanburg Airport, says Flight 1819 was flying from Raleigh, N.C., to Atlanta when the pilot landed without incident Wednesday afternoon.

Holcombe says that the problem appears to be a malfunction in an air conditioning vent, but that there appeared to be no fire.

Delta spokeswoman Betsy Talton says one woman aboard the Boeing 767 complained of minor burns but refused treatment.

Talton says Delta is inspecting the plane and does not know when it will be back in service.

Axerock
20th Mar 2008, 09:04
Perhaps I am cynical. Passenger complains of "burns" and then refuses treatment. Is this a lawsuit in the making?

Shore Guy
20th Mar 2008, 10:45
Pack issue :confused::confused::confused:

Explosion Forces Plane To Make Emergency Landing At GSP
Passengers describe 'white smoke and ash' on board

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 - 11:06 PM Updated: 04:30 AM

By Melissa Keeney
E-mail | Biography
More than 250 passengers aboard a Delta flight were counting their blessings Wednesday afternoon, after their plane made an emergency landing at Greenville-Spartanburg International airport. "So grateful to be home safe," passenger Katie Lang shouted as she and others got off the plane. Delta flight 1819 took off in Raleigh, bound for Atlanta, when it had to change course. "I was reading and listening to my ipod, and then all of a sudden this big boom six rows behind me."

The boom woke up people like Mark Myers. "It sounded like metal on metal." Passengers quickly panicked. "It was like two cars side-swiping each other, and it never stopped. I think we were all frozen for a few minutes, and then the plane started to fill with smoke." Passenger Elizabeth Robertson remembers, "They came with fire extinguishers, and the smoke was so bad. Some people got really hysterical."

The hundreds on board were rushed to the front of the plane. Lang says, "I'm going to die. Absolutely, it goes through your mind. I'm done. This is it." Flight attendants then announced they would make an emergency landing. Myers says passengers were praying together. "People are holding hands across the aisles. And of course all of our cell phones are back in our bags. That's the first thing you think of ..You want to call your family."

After the plane touched ground safely, all passengers were safely evacuated. One woman was treated for minor burns, but released on scene. Crews discovered the source of the explosion was some hot air that came from the plane's engine, and entered a heating vent on board. Passengers say this is one flight they'll never forget. "Don't want to go through this again," says Myers.

Smilin_Ed
20th Mar 2008, 15:13
Clearly a bleed air duct failure, which can be quite serious depending on what that high temp air hits on. Fortunately, they were able to get it on the ground safely.

gazbert
20th Mar 2008, 15:29
FAA preliminary data -

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: UNK Make/Model: B767 Description: B-767
Date: 03/19/2008 Time: 2148

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Minor

DESCRIPTION
WHILE IN FLIGHT, A HEATING DUCT IMPLODED, SPRAYING INSULATION THROUGHOUT
THE CABIN. AIRCRAFT DIVERTED TO GREENVILLE/SPARTANBURG AIRPORT, GREER, SC

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: X
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: X
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

OTHER DATA
Activity: Business Phase: Cruise Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: COLUMBIA, SC (SO13) Entry date: 03/20/2008

jacjetlag
20th Mar 2008, 15:43
OH,please.....
Shore Guy, leave the tabloid hysteria somewhere else. It doesn't belong here.

falcon10
20th Mar 2008, 17:26
Explosion Forces Plane To Make Emergency Landing At GSP
Passengers describe 'white smoke and ash' on board

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 - 11:06 PM Updated: 04:30 AM

By Melissa Keeney
E-mail | Biography
More than 250 passengers (there was only 9 more than 250!) aboard a Delta flight were counting their blessings Wednesday afternoon, after their plane made an emergency landing at Greenville-Spartanburg International airport. "So grateful to be home safe," passenger Katie Lang shouted as she and others got off the plane. Delta flight 1819 took off in Raleigh, bound for Atlanta, when it had to change course. "I was reading and listening to my ipod, and then all of a sudden this big boom six rows behind me."

The boom woke up people like Mark Myers. "It sounded like metal on metal." Passengers quickly panicked. "It was like two cars side-swiping each other, and it never stopped. I think we were all frozen for a few minutes, and then the plane started to fill with smoke." Passenger Elizabeth Robertson remembers, "They came with fire extinguishers, and the smoke was so bad. Some people got really hysterical."

The hundreds on board were rushed to the front of the plane. (how do you move "hundreds" of passengers to the front of the plane???) Lang says, "I'm going to die. Absolutely, it goes through your mind. I'm done. This is it." Flight attendants then announced they would make an emergency landing. Myers says passengers were praying together. "People are holding hands across the aisles. And of course all of our cell phones are back in our bags. That's the first thing you think of ..You want to call your family." (since when did cell phones dont work at altitude???)

After the plane touched ground safely, all passengers were safely evacuated. (didnt the plane taxi to the gate???) One woman was treated for minor burns, but released on scene. Crews discovered the source of the explosion was some hot air that came from the plane's engine, and entered a heating vent on board. Passengers say this is one flight they'll never forget. "Don't want to go through this again," says Myers.

This has to be the most sensational dribble of media spewage I have ever seen or Americans really have become, without question, utterly stupid!

forget
20th Mar 2008, 17:38
I wonder what you'd be saying had you been sitting next to the 'big boom' and seeing smoke.:hmm:

Shore Guy
21st Mar 2008, 04:55
Jacjetlag and all,

No wonder so many of the traditional posters have abandoned this site. I posted from a general media site only because there was some additional information from previous posts, and I get bashed. Look at my profile…..I’m no tire kicking private pilot.

No wonder some of the many really qualified and interesting posters from years past have abandoned this site. They don’t need every post being considered a bull’s eye by some/many. Please do preview post/double think before hitting the send button. Maybe make a rule that after one drink, you don’t post.

You are chasing away much of the talent that used to view and post on this forum. The quality of this forum has degenerated exponentially in the last few years. Look in the mirror as to why.

Shore Guy
:(:(:(

speedde3
22nd Mar 2008, 03:15
obviously you were not on the plane. I was!. Let see what happens to you when something goes wrong at 31000 feet. Yea there is a few discrepancies in the story and you can read waht you want. It was an explosion that was about as load as a hatch being blown and there was searing heat and smoke and ash filling the cabin, People did move to the front of the plane ( about 55 ) that were in the area. Next time don,t be such an A*%%*&^!

lomapaseo
23rd Mar 2008, 02:52
More injuries and possibly PTSD will show up in passengers as the adrenaline and fear wear off and they get a chance to see their doctor instead of a FD medic. Breathing in the amount of fiberglass and fumes in the air coud give even a healthy person trouble.

I wasn't there!

but I'm guessing that cabin emergencies and potential passenger injuries are handled on a triage basis (BTDT). Get the aircraft down safely and then hand the triage over to available medically trained folks on the ground.

Passenger concerns to be followed up on their own after this.

At least that's what I would expect if I had been a passenger on that flight.

PS I probably would go an see my own MD and seek advice and collect any bills for later compensation.

falcon10
23rd Mar 2008, 15:43
Wow....this board really has turned into a sounding board for a bunch of people that have nothing to do with being a professional pilot. Isnt that what airliners.net is for?

I wont be posting here anymore. PPRune used to be a great source of information for professionals to come together and share topics. Not anymore.

The passengers on this flight should be praising the crew for a job well done instead of demanding Delta "do more" (whatever that means). I wonder if these people realize how stupid they sound when they grossly exaggerate the facts and sugggest conspriacy theories while talking to the media!