PDA

View Full Version : German Do328 ran off runway

readywhenreaching
19th Mar 2008, 19:26
a german Cirrus airlines Dornier Do328 (prop) ran beyond the end of the runway at Mannheim City coming to rest with its left wing and prop substantially damaged.
Its left u/c appreared to have collapsed.

no injuries among 27 on board. Aircraft came from Berlin.

Mannheim runway has 1066 meters.

www.jacdec.de (with pic)

IIRC there had been other overruns with this type of aircraft before ?

His dudeness
19th Mar 2008, 19:50
more pics:

http://www.morgenweb.de/region/mannheim/20080320_Flugzeug.html?sid=40102f02b2fd90b7d91a2f51df386803

Thats the one I know:

Genoa, Italy, Minerva Airlines, 4 fatalities.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/1999/1999-13.htm

readywhenreaching
19th Mar 2008, 20:41
one more occasion at least:

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Dornier%20328%20100,%20TF-CSB%201-08.pdf

hetfield
19th Mar 2008, 20:51
What do you mean with "German Do328"?

Are there "Iranian or Nigerian" Do328s?

HarryMann
19th Mar 2008, 21:23
Only by correctly positioning the power levers at a precise angle, ie in light contact with the flight idle stops, will the fingers be able to operate the latches solely against the spring pressure in order to move smoothly into the
beta range and thence into reverse.The required sequence involves delicate, accurate movement of levers whose operation is fairly stiff, (accentuated for a pilot in the right-hand seat by the offset of the power levers positioning them further from his body) followed, often rapidly, by lifting of the latches.Deliberate difficulty in attempting a continuous movement through idle thrust to reverse is created by the designed-in need to change hand position during the process.This cannot be tolerated any longer, surely? People have already died... Why wait till the 4th or 5th occurrence for a full and final resolution fix when cockpit/control ergonomics are patently 'an accident waiting to happen' :rolleyes:

Piece of Cake
19th Mar 2008, 21:26
"Are there "Iranian or Nigerian" Do328s?"

What I think he was referring to was the fact that the operator is a German Company. (There is a 328 (Jet) in Nigeria by the way.)

There was also another 328 runway over run in December 2006 in Columbia.

Hope the crew and pax not too shaken up. Got more than a few hours in the 328, what a lovely machine to operate but those throttle latches could be a bit of a pain at times. Please note I am not implying that is the case in this incident, just have to wait for the accident report and the investigators to do their stuff.

WestWind1950
19th Mar 2008, 21:42
What do you mean with "German Do328"?

that's a stupid remark, sorry. Of course readywhenreaching meant German REGISTERED Do 328. Why do you guys have to always find flaws in everything? :ugh:

I have flown Mannheim a few times, but in SEP's. It is a VERY tricky airfield!

chiglet
19th Mar 2008, 22:18
Brain......Engaged....Check
Mouth....Shut....Check
Foot..In Shoe.....Check
Read Post Correctly...mmmmm
watpiktch

roljoe
19th Mar 2008, 22:19
agree with WestWind...

German = german

Cirrus = german

DO328 = german...

So 3 times stated...:E

excellent chiglet..:)

I did manheim a few times in a C500...10 years ago..quite demanding field..

MU3001A
19th Mar 2008, 23:24
how is that even legal?

JuniorMan
20th Mar 2008, 00:45
It has been a rough few weeks for "Germans" and landings. :E

Walker Texas Ranger
20th Mar 2008, 01:13
It has been a rough few weeks for "Germans" and landings. :E

You beat me to it! As they say "bad things always happen in threes!" I guess the Germans are now going to be fine for a while!

anartificialhorizon
20th Mar 2008, 08:22
Was there not one just last month in Asia somewhere ?

That was a runway excursion......

anartificialhorizon
20th Mar 2008, 08:31
Also after looking at the pics above and excuse me for a silly question, but where is the left hand prop?

Right hand prop in fine pitch.....

stator vane
20th Mar 2008, 08:36
is now on a Nigerian Do328 !!!!! ha.

His dudeness
20th Mar 2008, 09:54
Spinner of L/H engine lies below cabin door, blades seperated...

LGW Vulture
20th Mar 2008, 10:07
Whatever the causes of this mishap - just how many incidents have Cirrus had during the last 12-24 months??? They are certainly mounting up!

greek-freak
20th Mar 2008, 10:13
German news magazine Der Spiegel claims it was due to a brake failure: http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/0,1518,542604,00.html

WHBM
20th Mar 2008, 12:22
Brake failure .....

Interesting to read in the AAIB report linked above the comment by a captain on the type that the retardation from the props when the latch works correctly is normally such that braking on the runway is not required.

peterperfect
20th Mar 2008, 12:28
City Star Airlines (now defunct) had a 328T overrun at Aberdeen in June 06. Was not a power lever/detent issue a contributing factor to that one as the runway upwind end was rapidly approaching ?

glad rag
20th Mar 2008, 12:42
detailed in one of those links at start of thread.

sto
20th Mar 2008, 17:02
Also frequently fly into Mannheim.
Twins need a special permission to fly into EDFM.
It's also on the **** list of "Vereinigung Cockpit"

http://www.vcockpit.de/images/attach/maengelliste2007.pdf (in german)

MU3001A
20th Mar 2008, 17:24
I'll ask again.

3,500' you must be kidding right? how is that even legal?

http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/fairchild/specs.html

Fairchield Dornier 328 Landing Field Length - 1,166m (3,825ft)

warmkiter
20th Mar 2008, 20:55
this is an advertisment, sample calculation, maybe req landing distance with MALW ISA...etc.... not handbook or performation guide.....

for airline ops you dont take the add from a webpage to check your landingdistance req...

even a 13 year old kid with FS2000 rating knows which factors are relevant for perf calculation, why not you?

why not just shut up and wait for the facts..

blue skies

Lars

MU3001A
21st Mar 2008, 00:13
for airline ops you dont take the add from a webpage to check your landingdistance req...

even a 13 year old kid with FS2000 rating knows which factors are relevant for perf calculation, why not you?

why not just shut up and wait for the facts..The quoted distance was indicative is all.

I have since found information which suggests the Mannheim City runway would indeed fit the factored runway length requirement for a Do 328 at an operational weight very close to Max. Landing Weight.

http://www.328support.de/downloads/328-Turboprop.pdf

EDIT

Oops maybe not.

EDFM runway 27 LDA 3323 feet according to worldaerodata.com, not 3500 feet.

The accident aircraft with 24 pax onboard was probably around 3-4,000 lbs under the max landing weight, but without an AFM I don't know how much runway length that translates into.

His dudeness
21st Mar 2008, 09:45
"Whatever the causes of this mishap - just how many incidents have Cirrus had during the last 12-24 months??? They are certainly mounting up!"

What incidents do you kow then?

Iīm operating in and out of Mannheim, but not with Cirrus nor on a DO328...

Mannheim is really bad in bad weather. Lighting is...well it leaves a lot to be desired. Is If weather isnīt an issue, then its just short with weird obstacles surrounding the field. There is an ELEVATED 4 lane road crossing THR 27, an earth wall surrounding the RWY in the east, south and partly west. What the wall does not cover in the west, the LOC antenna does.

I have been flying in and out of Mannheim for many years in KingAirs 200, they have IMO a relatively comparable rwy performance to the 328. I canīt see a prob there without either a technical or a malfunction between the ears of the PF. Remeber that the RWY dist in the AFM is without the use of reverse or beta. When our KA manual indicated something like 1800ft and youīd use heavy braking and heavy reverse, the thing stopped within nearly half that distance. Now apparently there is a history of beta/reverse troubles. If you land a little long and then have to fiddle with the levers AND donīt start braking, then.... and btw. I donīt know it, but I just cannot believe that they would operate with less than 1,67. I mean thats a regular airline, based there, serving Berlin, Geneva and other places...
Iīm pretty sure that a A/S u/s would put one in trouble as well.
BTW, RWY is grooved.
APPR available is either LOCDME or GPS 27, 09 is circling only.

Amongst based airplanes are:
Falcon 2000
CJīs of all types
C550B
C560XL
C680
CL300
LJ31
LJ35 (without T/R this one! Brave men in their flying boxes....)
LJ45
These are all non commercially.

DO328

MU3001A
21st Mar 2008, 17:27
Remember also that the unfactored landing distances quoted in the AFM are Reference Landing Distances executed by a factory test pilot tasked with demonstrating the aircraft's utility to potential customers, achieved by maximum effort under controlled circumstances. Hardly an accurate simulation of routine airline operations where pilot ability varies, braking systems wear etc. That's why regulatory authorities impose factoring on required landing distances for airline operations.

The factored landing distance at max. landing weight for the Do 328 on a DRY runway is 3,525 feet. The ratio of aircraft weight to runway length requirement depicted in aircraft performance charts is a straight line of a certain slope. In the case of the B717-200 that slope represents about 29lbs per foot. I don't know the actual ratio in the case of the Do 328 but by my calculation given an estimated weight of the accident aircraft of 26,400lbs (BOW 20,000lbs, 1 hours fuel and 24 pax), the slope has to get down to below 15lbs per foot in order to qualify the LDA of runway 27 at EDFM of 3,323 feet which is a pretty flat slope.

What about when it rains and the factored length goes up by 500 feet, how do you run a regular scheduled service dependent on whether or not it rains ?

In my opinion it would appear that airline operations at Mannheim City with the Do 328 was an accident waiting to happen. But that's just my opinion.

His dudeness
21st Mar 2008, 19:50
Well MU, we certainly would like a bigger runway and nonobstacle environment.
There is an american army field just a few miles north (the CTZ touch each other), Coleman, that would be perfect to be build into a regional airport. But then there is the green party and all the guys living around said airfield that do oppose such plans. In fact the green party already made a statement after this incident to the effect that they want City to be closed down because it is a thread to the citizens of Mannheim. No word of a replacement/contingency plan.

An accident waiting to happen? Mhhh lets see, if they operate within the given parameters (factor 1,67) then I fail to see what the problem is. The factor is there exactly to cater the things you mentioned...the rwy is grooved and is considered dry unless there is standing water. Thats within regulations btw.
Granted if the runway would have been 600 feet or so longer, there most probably the accident wouldnīt have happend...

MU3001A
21st Mar 2008, 20:48
Perhaps I'm just used to flying in the States where every Podunk town that has an airport has an airport with at least a 5,000 foot runway and I can't believe an airline here would even consider operating a regular scheduled service with a Do 328 or similar into an airport with only a 3,500 foot runway, regardless of the regs.

You make do with what you have I suppose, but look what happened to SWA at MDW. An accident waiting to happen? Mhhh lets see, if they operate within the given parameters (factor 1,67) then I fail to see what the problem is.The problem is the accident, regardless of whether the flight was operating within the regs or not. You're safe and operating within the regs. until there's an accident/incident which attracts the attention of the various advocacy groups forcing the hand of the regulatory authorities to determine that you're not safe anymore. Now you need an expensive project to lengthen the runway which may not be practical, or an EMAS which chops 600 feet off the end and you're done.

Mshamba
22nd Mar 2008, 09:37
Just to add something about EDFM: The runway IS short, but the DO328 by Cirrus are operating there regularly several times a day without incidents so far. But what you can see is in the same regularly manner an approach "too fast and too high" so that they land late and brake very hard. Sometimes they just come to a stop at the very end of the runway, where a turning pad is used then. You can see those "thrilling" approaches in at least two of ten times, as mentioned this is not an unusual thing, but of course led to concerns in the past for how long this will work without an incident or accident.

Runway 27 (also in use that day) has a LOC/DME approach only, with quite a high minimum, due to the road directly in front of the threshold and some power lines on short final.

About this approach in particular, several people saw that plane also coming in high with a late touchdown. If this is the reason for the overshoot or not, other people get paid to investigate this issue.

By the way: you can see clearly skid marks becoming more intense towards the end of the runway... i don't know if the DO328 has antiskid or not - but if, why are there skid marks then?

733driver
22nd Mar 2008, 10:42
It has been a while since I last flew turboprops and I can't be bothered to go and look at JAR OPS but I seem to remember that the 1.67 factor applies to turbofan (jet) aircraft, while turboprops use something like 1.43.

Apart from that I agree that Mannheim is a very marginal airport for such commercial ops.

pasoundman
22nd Mar 2008, 18:09
His dudeness
In fact the green party already made a statement after this incident to the effect that they want City to be closed down because it is a thread to the citizens of Mannheim.

Well ... no surprise there since the greens don't like aviation generally.

Oh ... and you know all the fuss about how much CO2 airliners emit ? I gather that shipping produces something like TEN times as much.

His dudeness
22nd Mar 2008, 18:12
733driver, youīre right, itīs 1,43 for props... (60% vs.70%). Sorry for the mixup.

MU3001A
23rd Mar 2008, 14:54
It would seem that this is one area where JAA/FAA regulations are not harmonized.

As a regular scheduled airline the Cirrus Airlines flight would have been required to operate under FAR Part 121 in the US and unlike JAR OPS 1.515, FAR Part 121.195 does not differentiate between jets and turboprops in determining destination airport landing field length requirements for preflight planning purposes. The FAA regulation requires that turbine engine powered aircraft (jets and props) be able to land within 60% of the effective runway length.

http://rgl.faa.gov/REGULATORY_AND_GUIDANCE_LIBRARY/RGFAR.NSF/0/4063CEA6723EAC38852566EF006B269B?OpenDocument

The only allowance for turboprop aircraft is that they can be dispatched without meeting the 60% destination airport requirement on the most suitable runway if an alternate is specified that allows a landing within 70% of effective runway length, for turbojets the alternate requirement is the same 60%. Also the 115% requirement for wet or slippery runways only applies to turbojet aircraft.