PDA

View Full Version : Radar Climb

SU-GCM
9th Mar 2008, 15:33
Hello guys

that's my first topic to ask about something on pprune
I am an aviation enthusiast from Egypt and lives around 2NM from RWY 05L at Cairo

I usually listen to Cairo Director frequency 119.050
and hear the controllers tell the pilots xxxx,turn Right heading 120 Climb FL110 Radar Climb

what does the expression (Radar Climb) Means ????

I have tried to search document 4444 ? but found nothing regarding this expression :S

thanks for your help

HHI OPS
9th Mar 2008, 18:07
Hey,

well I could only imagine that its just an confirmation, that the pilots are in a ATC sector, where they have to follow ATC instructions.

roljoe
9th Mar 2008, 20:12
Hi,

for me that's the egyptian shortcut to say...Radar contact and climb to...

anyway, pilots know that they're in a controlled airspace and this is confirmed by the controller..having spotted the traffic on their screen..

SU-GCM
9th Mar 2008, 21:38
WooW nice comment the Egyptian Shortcut :D
Egyptian ATCs are making a new ATM 4444 Document or what ?
By the way they do say Radar contact it comes that way :

MSR738,Director,Radar Contact,Climb FL110 Turn Right Heading 120 Radar Climb

av8boy
10th Mar 2008, 08:23
Perhaps indicating that it's a vector off of the SID?

No Further Requirements
10th Mar 2008, 09:37
Perhaps it means it will be a step climb with an aircraft ahead based on Mode-C radar height?

Cheers,

NFR.

No Further Requirements
10th Mar 2008, 10:38
"Radar identified" {Normally this OK but on 1st contact without using any identification technique?}

Do aircraft REALLY care how they are identified? Honestly? We just have a host of techniques available to us, yet we just say 'identified'. Seems to work. I think you will find that phraseology varies from place to place, but the general vibe is the same. I agree that there are some things that just don't need to be said. I was just curious as to why aircraft need to be told how they are identified, if that is what you are getting at.

Cheers,

NFR.

msr001
4th Nov 2008, 16:26
Radar climb means that Cairo director (sector responsible for departures and arrivals) has you under radar contact and is directing you to climb to whatever altitude with a heading that is away from from your filed flight plan and /or course and this climb will be commenced under radar vectors rather than on your intended course..

Sometimes this happens because of excessive arrivals or departures..
hope this helps.

carkiller
13th Nov 2008, 13:00
@ MSR001

so what you mean is:
the controller is actually just telling you proudly that there is more then one aircraft around and he is doing his bloody job, keeping them clear from each with his radar....

That phrase is unfortunately used here too by some controllers. That is just unprofessional and useless, it just means about nothing....

threemiles
13th Nov 2008, 16:13
He vectors you away from your cleared SID

A more common phrase would
"Heading 120 radar vectors for continous climb"

However, according to ICAO 4444 it would require a destination point where the vector would interecept the cleared/filed route again. "Radar vectors to .... " This is often left out and can have desastrous consequences in case of comm failure in a mountaineous environment.

divingduck
16th Nov 2008, 20:06
I'm petty sure you can use "Radar Contact" AND "Identified" under ICAO, both are equally valid. T
They both have 4 syllables too, so by telling someone he is "radar contact", you aren't actually wasting your valuable airtime.
As it seemed to me, most of the aircraft that you speak to are expecting to hear "Radar Contact" and you will get quite a few queries from pilots if you don't say it.
When I first arrived in the Middle East, from anally retentive Australia, I said "Identified" only when I was actually identifying aircraft. The amount of questions from pilots saw me telling everyone RC on first contact to save lots of time and unnecessary R/T.

carkiller, thanks for that illuminating response...are you off your meds or having a bio-rythmic low?:ugh:

MSR001 thanks for the reply, that explanation made sense to me.:ok:

msr001
16th Nov 2008, 22:30
Youre welcome DivingDuck.

And by the way, personally I always get the persponse "Radar Contact" from ATC especially if its a departure/arrival sector or an FIR boundary.

cancel_mayday
18th Nov 2008, 19:19
Is it OK to say 'Radar Contact. Report POINT'

?