PDA

View Full Version : Near Miss?

Davina777
7th Mar 2008, 09:16
Hiya,

What is the distance that would be classed as a near miss?

Whirlygig
7th Mar 2008, 09:28
Whatever the journalist decides!

Anyway, if you nearly miss something, surely you hit it! Surely it be termed a near hit?

Are you talking about when you would file an AIRPROX?

Cheers

Whirls

Sid Departure
7th Mar 2008, 09:42
Near Miss?

Yes I agrree Whirlygig.

If you nearly miss something, then you must have hit it.

Anyway to answer the question. I believe it's whenever the minimum separation distance between aircraft is breached. This varies depending on the flight category and the type of airspace you're operating in.

powerstall
7th Mar 2008, 09:57
....would a TCAS R/A be classified as a near miss?

nflyer
7th Mar 2008, 10:30
Hold on a second gents!

The term near miss means two aircraft came close together but avoided coliding so it makes perfect sense that it is a NEAR.... but MISS.

Ain't it?

Whirlygig
7th Mar 2008, 10:35
Just try saying "ha-ha very funny!" :}

Cheers

Whirls (Miss)

captain_rossco
7th Mar 2008, 15:57
Even the jokes get torn apart ands scrutinised on this forsaken (but great) forum. :{

bajadj
7th Mar 2008, 16:17
i think 74.9% would be classed as a near miss!

J'Mac
7th Mar 2008, 16:19
I agree with nflyer

SparksFlyHigh
7th Mar 2008, 18:48
I filed an airprox the other day. Someone decided to join the circuit downwind with no regard to circuit traffic. I took avoiding action and he went past and slightly below the front of me by about 100 metres. Too close for me (and anyone else).

SkyCamMK
7th Mar 2008, 20:13
In health & safety terms a near miss report is welcomed because action may possibly be taken to prevent potential incidents. I have had what some people might call near misses but the only time I have been seriously concerned was when the near miss was a complete surprise and when I had no opportunity to take avoiding action. This to me is a near miss and it can be as close as a few yards or quarter of a mile if big, fast or heavy!

speedrestriction
7th Mar 2008, 20:30
A TCAS RA is not necessarily an airprox. As someone has already said, once the correct separation is maintained there is no problem. (TCAS looks at rates of closure so if somone is climbing from directly below you at, for example, 3,500fpm to level out 1000ft below you may well get a climb RA, but provided they level off 1000ft below then there has been no loss of separation).

sr