PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Le Touquet?

TotalBeginner
26th Feb 2008, 10:13
I've read through most of the past threads about Le Touquet, but some of them are a little out of date and wondered if I might be able to ask a few questions.

1) If I fly from a small airfield in the UK, what are the customs and immigration requirements? (Did a search on the Revenue and Customs website but couldn't find anything).

2) In France, do you require a clearance to enter class E airspace if flying VFR?

3) What kind of join can you expect at LFAT? I've looked at the "Approache a Vue" which only seems to apply if you're arriving from the South East.

4) I've heard that French authorities require you to insert a waypoint on the flight-plan to specify the point at which you will cross the FIR boundary. What entries are valid or can you only specify a known point such as DEVAL or RINTI?

Sorry for my ramblings! Any help much appreciated :ok:

julian_storey
26th Feb 2008, 11:11
You`re making this feel far more complicated than it really is :)

The answers to your questions . . .

1) You need to fill in a `Gen Dec` form with details of everyone on board. This needs to be faxed through to HM customs. Your airfield will probably do this for you.

2) Just speak to Le Touquet just after you reach the FIR boundary and don`t worry :)

3) The prevailing wind is from the sea, so the runway is usually 32 (or whatever the take off out to sea runway is). You will usually be asked to join downwind for 32. This is easy because the runway runs roughly parallel to a big river estuary. You can`t miss it :)

4) If you`re coming from the South East of England in a single, you will cross the FIR boundary about 15 minutes before you arrive at Le Touquet. Insert 'EET FIR BOUNDARY xx minutes' (xx being the duration of the flight minus about 15 minutes).

Whatever you do, don't stress about this. It's a piece of cake :)

Evilbob
26th Feb 2008, 11:17
1) Google "HMRC GAR", and it will provide a link to the General Aviation Report form you require. As I remember, instructions are provided with the form.

2) From the French AIP, Radio contact is not mandatory for VFR flights in Class E.

http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/PDF_AIPparSSection/AIP%20FRANCE/ENR/1/0803_ENR%201.4.pdf

3). I've only been over once, but I believe the norm is to route/report over head Bolougne (sp?)

4). Put the points at which you will coast in and out, for example: Dover Cap Gris-Nez

Hope this helps

Mariner9
26th Feb 2008, 11:19
...and dont forget to PPR with L2K. There's a form on their website to do it.

Kolibear
26th Feb 2008, 11:48
And don't forget to claim back the VAT on your fuel - its called 'fuel drawback'.

PM me if you want worked examples of the HO60 form.

Mariner9
26th Feb 2008, 12:04
Just to be pedantic, its the duty not the vat you can claim back :8

TotalBeginner
26th Feb 2008, 12:24
Thanks everyone! Your help is much appreciated :ok:

modelman
26th Feb 2008, 12:28
TB:I,like you,was worried about all the official stuff for my first visit to LFAT last year but need not have (like others here suggest)

Filled in the flight plan the night before bar the dep time as well as the GAR form.

On arrival at LFAT,customs guy was at lunch so we walked straight into town.

Very friendly ATC,simple circuit.Handed off at the FIR boundary ( god bless Garmin) to LFAT.

I am a bit of a worrier,but believe me it was very simple.
Enjoy yourself
MM

PompeyPaul
26th Feb 2008, 12:30
Don't you have to open & close a flight plan too ? Or is "passing your details" to Farnborough ENR enough ?

modelman
26th Feb 2008, 12:39
Don't you have to open & close a flight plan too ? Or is "passing your details" to Farnborough ENR enough ?

Only if the dep/arr airfield doesn't have an active ATSU,seem to remember something about seeking the services of a ' responsible person' to do it for you on departure by contacting the nearest ATSU.

MM

TotalBeginner
26th Feb 2008, 12:41
OK, this is my last question, I promise!

Do you need to fax a copy of the GAR to immigration too. Or does faxing it to the NCU satisfy both authorities?

bookworm
26th Feb 2008, 14:23
4) I've heard that French authorities require you to insert a waypoint on the flight-plan to specify the point at which you will cross the FIR boundary. What entries are valid or can you only specify a known point such as DEVAL or RINTI?

You use the FIR identifier, and there is a specific format. If you intend to enter the Paris FIR 1 hour and 10 minutes after departure, write EET/LFFF0110. If you intend to enter the London FIR 15 minutes after departure on the return write EET/EGTT0015.

Didn't you write somewhere that you operate out of Cambridge or am I getting mixed up?

dublinpilot
26th Feb 2008, 14:39
Bookworm,

I believe that you are also supposed to notify the point at which you are going to cross the FIR boundry, not just the time.

I do as per your post for the time, and just make sure that I have a FIR crossing point as one of the points somewhere in the route section (not specifically maked any differently).

Admittedly, they don't seem to care, and I'm not sure how many people bother.

As for the GAR, it should be sent to NCU & Immigration. They don't share the form between the agencies.

dp

TotalBeginner
26th Feb 2008, 14:43
You use the FIR identifier, and there is a specific format. If you intend to enter the Paris FIR 1 hour and 10 minutes after departure, write EET/LFFF0110. If you intend to enter the London FIR 15 minutes after departure on the return write EET/EGTT0015.

This is entered into "other information" (item 18). What I was referring to is this (just found CAP 694).

Additionally, for flights to/from France, the French Authorities require the frontier crossing point (the UK/France FIR boundary position) to be included in Item 15 (Route) of the FPL. To assist pilots, the UK now includes the ATS route reporting points on the Southern England and Wales 1:500 000 chart. These can be used as a frontier crossing point. A position may also be shown as LAT/LONG, or as a bearing and distance from a route reporting point or navigation aid.

DaveW
26th Feb 2008, 15:58
TB, try this (http://www.atsx91.dsl.pipex.com/Documents/Why_Not_Fly_to_France.doc) in which I've tried to show a worked example. (Supporting info here (http://www.atsx91.dsl.pipex.com/Going_Foreign.htm)).

Also, to be pedantic, there is actually no legal requirement to inform HMRC and Immigration on your outbound leg, but many people do. It's no real hardship, especially for a day trip as you'll be sending the GAR for the Return leg anyway.

Unfortunately the GAR needs to go separately to Immigration - the NCU don't pass it on.

As well as the options given already, opening your flight plan can be done with London Information (freq on chart).

Papa Charlie
26th Feb 2008, 16:13
The most important info you need is where to eat! As far as I am concerned there is only one place..... www.restaurantperard.com/

Enjoy both the flying there, the thrill of landing in a foreign country and some good food. :)

BackPacker
26th Feb 2008, 16:19
As well as the options given already, opening your flight plan can be done with London Information (freq on chart).

And don't forget that anywhere outside the UK, ATC expects you to close your flight plan as well, or the rescue services will come lookin'.

Closing is done automatically upon arrival at a controlled airfield. If you fly to an uncontrolled field, either close it with the last ATC facility you're talking to, or phone up a FIS after landing.

TotalBeginner
26th Feb 2008, 16:24
Thanks DaveW. Very informative indeed!

bookworm
26th Feb 2008, 16:28
Additionally, for flights to/from France, the French Authorities require the frontier crossing point (the UK/France FIR boundary position) to be included in Item 15 (Route) of the FPL.

Hmm. I can't find any support for this in France AIP ENR 1.10 (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/uk/..%5CPDF_AIPparSSection%5CAIP%20FRANCE%5CENR%5C1%5C0803_ENR% 201.10.pdf) nor does CAP 694 cite any regulatory document. Has anyone had a FPL rejected by French AIS for failure to comply?

TotalBeginner
26th Feb 2008, 16:35
Hmm. I can't find any support for this in France AIP ENR 1.10 nor does CAP 694 cite any regulatory document. Has anyone had a FPL rejected by French AIS for failure to comply?

I don't understand why they need this info for a VFR flight.

echobeach
26th Feb 2008, 17:10
Can I just add that i find flying into Le Touquet and their airspace is made so easy by the helpful ATC and ground staff that it feels almost like a local VFR bimble. It is my Saturday morning destination of choice as I find that they are always very supportive, there is no stress from ATC and I find that it is all sometimes easier than some UK destinations.
I speak to Manston to cross dover to cap gris nez ( after recent article pointing out the coastguard plane is at manston) and then le touquet at mid channel. They then give simple reporting usually at boulogne harbour (very obvious vfr point) and then a distance from the field.
At 1 hour from base near M25 there is in my view little better for a quick trip.

TotalBeginner
26th Feb 2008, 19:02
Quite funny really. On ukga.com (http://www.ukga.com/airfield/allreviews) (bearing in mind that this is a website for UK pilots and airfields) Le Touquet is rated top, in 3 out of the 6 attributes:

Standard of Runway
ATC service
Friendliness of welcome

dublinpilot
26th Feb 2008, 21:30
Hmm. I can't find any support for this in France AIP ENR 1.10 nor does CAP 694 cite any regulatory document. Has anyone had a FPL rejected by French AIS for failure to comply?

Interesting. I was sure that I read it in the SIA issued VFR guide. But as I've given it to someone else, I can't check it.

dp

bookworm
27th Feb 2008, 07:26
The plot thickens:

P70 of the VFR guide (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dossier/texteregle/Guide%20VFR%20Juin%202007%2007.pdf) does say:

According to Article R 131-5 of the Civil Aviation Code, crossing the frontiers of Metropolitan France in accordance with visual flight rules (VFR) must be carried out using the following procedure:

1. FLIGHT PLAN
1.1. Obligation
Aircraft pilots may carry out flights, in accordance with visual flight rules, which include crossing the land or sea territorial frontiers of Metropolitan France in either direction only if they have previously submitted a flight plan.
1.3. Insertion of data
The border crossing point must be entered in item 15 of the flight plan. Insert the estimated elapsed time to reach this point in item 18 after the indicator EET/.
2. RADIO CONTACT
2.1. Entry into French Airspace
The pilot of powered aircraft may enter into Metropolitan French airspace when flying in accordance with visual flight rules only if his aircraft is equipped with radiocommunications facilities. When crossing the frontier, the must make radio contact with a French air traffic control organisation. If the communication cannot be established on crossing the frontier,
the pilot must try to establish it during the continuation of the flight.

However, Article R 131-5 of the Civil Aviation Code (http://codes-et-lois.fr/codes/code-de-l-aviation-civile/partie-reglementaire---decrets-en-conseil-d-etat/partie-reglementaire---decrets-en-conseil-d-etat.html) mentions only the requirement to submit an FPL and establish radio contact.

Note also that there is a technocal difference between the FIR boundary and the border crossing point. Unless anyone can point to FPLs being rejected for failure to specify a point exactly on the FIR boundary, I think this is being interpreted a little overzealously.